Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

BlackPersona posted:

Odin Dark. Dark Flier. Coincidence? I think not!

Also shore up weaknesses

very compelling on the first part, let's go with that!

However ARTHUR WILL SAVE THIS RUN re: statboosts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Man, I just realized that I got Azura way back in chapter 9 and now I'm just getting to Izumo. Did those Hoshidan soliders teleport across the conintent by themselves or something?

The most baffling thing about how there's a billion neutral kingdoms and yet everyone agreed this hippie place is too powerful to mess with.

This place is so beautiful...so calming.
Isn't it? This is Izumo. It is known as the kingdom of the gods. Even as outside kingdoms quarrel, it remains neutral and peaceful.
So this is the beauty that peace allows for... How inspiring. If this place is neutral, perhaps we should rest here for a while. Everyone must be exhausted after all our many travels and battles.
Agreed. We might be able to gather some useful information here too. The area surrounding the Hoshidan capital is heavily guarded. As of now, we have no good options for getting there safely.
Perhaps someone here know something that could help.
Then it's settled. Let's go!

*The group heads in the castle*

Welcome to my not-so-humble abode, Nohrian friends!
Thank you very much for the...erm, warm welcome.
My castle here is a teeny tiny bitty baby, but please make yourselves at home.
We, um, will do that. But...may I ask who I have the pleasure of addressing right now?
Oh! OH! Silly me! Yes, allow me to introduce myself.

keeper of prophecies, and winner of best hair six times running. Not to brag. It's so nice to meet you!
Y-you're an archduke?! Really? ...Really, though?
Impossible. He's so disgustingly casual...
I'm a little surprised he's able to lead a whole kingdom like that...
It's downright unsettling...

Of course Elise isn't fazed.

Ooh! Aren't you the cutest little girl this side of the Bottomless Canyon! You are my new favorite, Lady Elise!
Hm? Um, did I already introduce myself? I know I'm forgetful, but...
Ah ha ha... Ehem. Right.
Don't be a goose, milady. You are all part of the Nohrian royal family. I know all of your names! It's only fitting for an archduke such as myself.

Oh, they're repeating the Zola thing. Great.

Oh, that makes total sense!
Hmm...
I must say, you royals have the most exquisite of exquisite timing. Tonight I am hosting a banquet fit for lovely little royal types like you!

He's a bit less subtle than in Birthright, I think.

You simply MUST attend. You must! You will, yes? Will you? Won't you?
Guest? Who might they be?
Yes!
It's hard to believe, but you're not the only royals I've collected today. I also have the honor of hosting the Hoshidan royal family!
What?!

Ooh, maximum awkward.

Corrine! What are you doing here?!
Corrine... How unexpected.
H-hello...
Stay back, Corrine!

That sounded dumb as soon as those words left your mouth.

Ha. Nohrian logic at its finest. Don't forget who stole our sister first.
Speak ill of Nohrians again, and so help me...

Ryo literally just stated facts, Xand.

Why are you angry? It's not an insult if it's true.
You really desire to feel my blade at your throat don't you?
Just try it! I dare you!
Whoa! No, no, no! Stop this at once! You don't want to be held responsible for breaking Izumo's neutrality pact, right? Put those awful swords away THIS INSTANT.
What pact?

Even princes like you would be severely punished if you broke said pact.
So let's all just put those nasty weapons away and enjoy supper! That's an order.
...Fine. As a fellow ruler, I will respect your laws.
I may stay my blade, but don't expect me to let my guard down. I don't need a weapon to kill you, should the need arise.
You wish to engage me in hand-to-hand combat? That can be arranged...

You may be at war, but as long as you're under my roof, you'll play by my rules. They're such fun rules too! We'll start by locking away those weapons of yours. Now, our bountiful banquet is still cooking, so enjoy our amenities in the meantime.
Hmph.

Does every kingdom except Nohr have bountiful resources? I wish they would explain just a tiny bit more of each of these neutral kingdoms besides one battle.

*Some time later*

OK, I guess. I'm so sorry about all this, Xander.
Not everything in the world is your fault, little princess. We're here because you're a good leader who wished to give us a safe place to rest. None among us would even consider blaming you for what's happening.
Thank you, Brother...
Hello, Corrine.
Ryoma?!

*Ryoma appears*

I simply wish to speak with my brother/sister.
So that you can steal her away to Hoshido the first chance you get? I won't allow it.
Watch that temper of yours, Nohrian prince. I admit I acted out of line earlier, but I will not stoop to violating Izumo's peace pact. As high prince of Hoshido. I don't have the luxury of making such a political misstep.
...As crown prince of Nohr, I am bound by the same political constraints. If you and yours can behave amicably then so can we.
Hmm...

Xander is such a hothead compared to Ryoma, who just lost his sister (again) and mother and kingdom capital...and just recently lost an ally in Cheve. And probably Orochi and Reina. And almost lost Kagero.

...Xander, why are you so hotheaded?

It's just...despite your differences, the two of you are quite similar in some ways.
Corrine! There's no need to insult me like that. I could not possibly be anything like this sorry excuse for a prince.
For once, I agree with Prince Xander. To start, I'm far more attractive.
Beg pardon?!
Whoa! Easy there! Don't fight now—we just started getting along! And I wasn't talking about your looks.
Maybe it's because you're both heir to your respective thrones... But the dignified way you carry yourselves...how you care so deeply for your kingdom... I just think deep down, you two are more alike than you may think.

Jokes. Bring some levity.

Zola, I'm already starting to hate you again.

How dare you act against our orders!
Ignore those party poopers, soldiers. Capture Prince Ryoma! Do it now!!
What the... Unhand me!

What are you playing at, Izana? I thought all violence was forbidden here.
Heh heh, that's the best part. I...am not Izana.
What?!

"Only ninjas can change how they look!" *sigh*

Seriously, why does no one on Nohr actually abuse this power beyond just trolling Corrine?

Zola!
Phew! It feels SO GOOD to finally be myself again! It was hard pretending to be that twit of an archduke with the Hoshidan royals around.
Where is the real Archduke Izana? What have you done with him?!
Eeheehee, I'm afraid he and his ridiculous hair have been locked away a long while. He'll no doubt enjoy the company of Prince Ryoma in that ungodly cell. Oh! Let's not forget the other Hoshidan royals. Sweet death awaits all of them! I

Wow, maximum jerk on Sakura.

You monster! Do you really mean to kill them? Even the youngest ones?!

Technically she is an adult. At least I assume so, unless Elise is somehow a lot older.

But of course! King Garon will be so proud when I tell him of my triumph! When I heard the Hoshidan royals were attending a royal banquet in Izumo... I used my incomparable illusive magic to take the archduke's place. Genius, no?

Hyo-hyo? That's a new one.

That's despicable, even for you.
No more flattery, please! I'll blush! Now we can capture Hoshido once and for all. I bet the king will grant me a new title!
If you'll excuse me, I have some very important death sentencing to do.

...Why didn't you just kill them right there, then?

Even he can teleport at will?! What the...how are the Nohrians not automatically win this war?!

Zola, halt! ZOLA!!
Xander... Wh-what are we going to do?
Don't worry, Corrine. I won't allow this treachery to go unpunished. Hoshido may be our enemy, but to murder its royals while they are unarmed... I won't have us win the war this way.

I guess he kinda did that in Birthright? So he's consistent at least.

Come, Sister. Let us go set free our sworn enemy.
I'm with you all the way, Xander. You really are my hero. I hope you know. ...Heh heh.
Was that a guffaw I heard? Out with it, little princess. What's so funny?
Heh, sorry... It's just that you and Ryoma really are so much alike. If you weren't on opposite sides of a war, I think you could have been great friends.

He hates Ryoma SO MUCH. I don't get why. Such a sister complex.

Now, to the task at hand. Gather our troops and prepare for battle. Zola isn't one to postpone violence. We haven't much time.
I'm on it!

It's the same map as in Birthright, but now there's a turn limit, an NPC survival time limit, and the army is split into two. This is also a map where the majority of the enemies are promoted.

Some Votes

There's buzz of using the Hero's brand to bring back Arthur from the dead. People forgot, but his skill rating was actually pretty good and 13 speed isn't horrible considering Odin and Leo are slow as hell.

It's like Odin was designed for Dark Falcon, because that class has a stupidly high increase in speed. 20 speed jumps him from one of the slowest to one of the fastest and he keeps his strength as a tome slinger.

Bench 3 characters. Permaspot for least voted character. Last call for Keaton: http://www.strawpoll.me/12939900

Use of Statboosters: http://www.strawpoll.me/12939904

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

Xander is such a hothead compared to Ryoma, who just lost his sister (again) and mother and kingdom capital...and just recently lost an ally in Cheve. And probably Orochi and Reina. And almost lost Kagero.

...Xander, why are you so hotheaded?

Ryoma had Mikoto

But Xander has Garon, Iago, and Hans. It's uh, not a good time.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Tae posted:

Bench 3 characters. Permaspot for least voted character. Last call for Keaton: http://www.strawpoll.me/12939900

...is Kaze force deployed or permabenched?

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Fire Emblem: Custody Battle

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kaze's been dead since like chapter 12 for Silas, but then Silas got booted for Peri.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:

If Izana is a divine dragon descendant like the other royals, how come he can't use dragon veins when he's a playable unit?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SweaterGear posted:

If Izana is a divine dragon descendant like the other royals, how come he can't use dragon veins when he's a playable unit?
He's a descendant of the gods, not of the First Dragons. Who are those gods? Who knows, but they (apparently?) aren't dragons?

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Okay, I can sort of understand the logic of trying to help the Hoshidan nobles. It's not honorable and Zola kidnapped the leader of a neutral nation and we have a moral highhorse to stand on or whatever. Contrived, but I guess I can understand it.

What I'm still not understanding is why Corrine betrayed an allied nation that had taken an enemy soldier captive. An enemy soldier who tried to kill her and her soldiers back in pot-city. From Corrine stupidly asking why Hoshido was attacking a nation allied to Nohr to...fighting some guy because he was helping them? Was it because he had a beard?? I don't get it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Space Bat posted:

Okay, I can sort of understand the logic of trying to help the Hoshidan nobles. It's not honorable and Zola kidnapped the leader of a neutral nation and we have a moral highhorse to stand on or whatever. Contrived, but I guess I can understand it.

What I'm still not understanding is why Corrine betrayed an allied nation that had taken an enemy soldier captive. An enemy soldier who tried to kill her and her soldiers back in pot-city. From Corrine stupidly asking why Hoshido was attacking a nation allied to Nohr to...fighting some guy because he was helping them? Was it because he had a beard?? I don't get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-yW7HY0New

---------------------

Voting for stat boosters is relatively close so far.

You're not just a hero! You're like an-an... ultrahero!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Shame Xander has no honor himself, no matter how much he, and the game, occasionally pretends he does. To start with, between constantly pretending that Corrin being kidnapped and brainwashed is "lies, all lies!" massive support for Garon, and deliberately employing a psychopathic murderer who can and will attempt to murder members of their own army if they get upset, yeah he's an honorless piece of poo poo.

Have I mentioned he's the Worst Royal? Because he's the Worst Royal.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014
A little while ago, someone on Reddit broke down makes this chapter's writing so bad, and how it represents all the worst things about Fates's plot and characterization in general (spoilers for upcoming stuff):

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/5wux2i/black_and_white_a_breakdown_of_the_worst_written/

MonstrousMouse fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 11, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

MonstrousMouse posted:

A little while ago, someone on Reddit broke down makes this chapter's writing so bad, and how it represents all the worst things about Fates's plot and characterization in general:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/5wux2i/black_and_white_a_breakdown_of_the_worst_written/

That's spoilers for upcoming stuff, and also that person was banned for having a tirade of threatening Intsys and nuke japan, etc.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

If Arthur wins steroids does he get all all of them, or will you still give the dusts somewhere else?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Voting will end soon. Stat boosters and what will basically be Arthur-roids or weakness shoring is still close.

Effie! Will you put me down now? Pleeease? I don't wanna be your dumbbell anymore!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Tae posted:

Voting will end soon. Stat boosters and what will basically be Arthur-roids or weakness shoring is still close.

Effie! Will you put me down now? Pleeease? I don't wanna be your dumbbell anymore!

...this is now my favorite Support.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Elise's retainers really are the best

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

inthesto posted:

Elise's retainers really are the best

I agree. She picked both of them because she thought they were cool. Arthur, being a Medieval superhero, and Effie because they only knew each other for a few hours, yet she worked her butt off to see her again.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Lord Koth posted:

Shame Xander has no honor himself, no matter how much he, and the game, occasionally pretends he does. To start with, between constantly pretending that Corrin being kidnapped and brainwashed is "lies, all lies!" massive support for Garon, and deliberately employing a psychopathic murderer who can and will attempt to murder members of their own army if they get upset, yeah he's an honorless piece of poo poo.

Have I mentioned he's the Worst Royal? Because he's the Worst Royal.

I disagree, even the worst Nohrian noble is better than the best Hoshidan noble in my opinion. Can you even tell me what Ryouma is like? Or Hinoka? Other than "lobster" and, uh, "red head" I really can't. Sakura is just "innocent girl who wants to help people." The only Hoshidan with anything resembling a personality is Takumi, who's entire shtick is being a massive prick with an inferiority complex.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Vote's over. Steroids would be used to shore up some weaknesses. Shura and Peri are out, Keaton is out permanently. 2/2 on early exits for the beasties.

In memory of Shura who was invaluable because he hits hard with bows and more importantly was a second healer:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, some of you may disagree with me on this, but I will admit that this game does do one thing right writing-wise, and that's having Nohrian and Hoshidan characters contrast and reflect each other. Let's start with the younger sisters and their retainers.

Elise is a perky, hyperactive and peppy younger sister, while Sakura's a shy, demure, and quiet one
Arthur is loud, proud, and energetic hero, while Subaki is just as proud, but more introverted and narcissistic.
Effie and Hana are both the best friends of who they serve, but Hana's more focused on being a good retainer while Effie's focused on being a good protector.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013

Space Bat posted:

I disagree, even the worst Nohrian noble is better than the best Hoshidan noble in my opinion. Can you even tell me what Ryouma is like? Or Hinoka? Other than "lobster" and, uh, "red head" I really can't. Sakura is just "innocent girl who wants to help people." The only Hoshidan with anything resembling a personality is Takumi, who's entire shtick is being a massive prick with an inferiority complex.

It's a weird situation, because while the grand majority of the Hoshido nobles feel bland, Xander feels like the other extreme. He's written in such a way that he feels like a villain, and indeed, that's what he is on Birthright. Between his stubbornness, his attitude towards executing his sibling for treason, his devotion to Garon his view on justice, ect. But because of the two sides, they want you to see him as a flawed hero. And that's where he falls apart, because he's a thoroughly awful person in alot of ways.

It depends on if you tolerate emptiness over frustration more to which royal is the worst. A nothing personality vs an awful personality.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The problem with Xander is that from what we see he doesn't have a very good reason to be devoted to Garon, at all. You can see what they wanted to go for - a good man struggling to win his father's approval - but it never clicks because Garon is never portrayed as anything other than King Immabadguy

It would have worked a lot better if Garon became an evil guy only a few years back. Change the kidnapping scene to have Sumeragi trying to murder Garon instead, Garon wins the fight, sees Sumeragi's kid he brought with him but can't see a way to safely send him/her back and adopts them. Maybe give us some flashbacks to Garon and Corrin playing catch and Garon teaching Corrin respect for life or something, only for Garon to go nuts because he's possessed by that demon dragon thing, and now Corrin and the Nohr royals are trying to fight a token war with Hoshido while actually looking for a cure for Garon's madness.

Naturally, we got King Immabadguy instead, because the writers of this game aren't good at their jobs.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Naturally, we got King Immabadguy instead, because the writers of this game aren't good at their jobs.

It's a pretty basic failing too: Show vs. Tell. We're told that King Garon is a pretty neat father dude but all we're ever showing is Immabadguy.

We're shown it a lot in fact while we get like, a dozen or so lines on how he's good.

Makes it real hard to give those tales credence.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Peri, Shura, and Keaton are out. Back to one healer But first, some class changes.

Odin becomes a Dark Falcon, going from a slow, plodding caster to a speedy, mobile one. He can also wield lances but probably never going to use that utility.

Arthur changes into the hero king class, becoming faster, more accurate, and it greatly fixes his Luck problem.

Now it's time to distribute all those stat boosters I hoarded. Arthur gets an Arms Scroll to be able to wield better swords, and swallows two Goddess Icon to end up with a massive 15 luck. His PSkill is now his greatest asset.

Speedwings went to Xander and Laslow, the latter who is slow for a ninja and his power comes from doubling things.

Corrine gets a Secret Book to finally solve her lowish skill.

Selena gets a Seraph Robe to improve her poor HP from 27 to 32.

And the Spirit Dusts went to Corrine and Camilla to improve their secondary options.

The 20 turns might force people to engage in multiple fronts of combat, but it's really plenty of time.

The west side has the majority of units while the east group is just Leo/Niles with Camilla and Arthur. This is because the halves are separated by all mages vs. all warriors.

The first thing to do is have Xander set up a two turn kill on this Maid who has an Enfeeble staff. She'll prioritize attacking him over using the debuff, and that gets rid of the biggest initial obstacle.

What the hell you talking about, Xander? You got five stats, including speed. And he picks up Defender so he's got another +1 across the board. Greedy dude.

There's a lot of cleaning up to do after Xander weakens the group of Heroes and Paladin.

Arthur takes out a Sorcerer that's weakened from Leo counterhitting it and gains a...bad level. BUT, he picks up Dancing Blade which increases his speed by three.

Effie takes over and walls off those Heroes while Xander takes position to intercept a General. She gains a level with every stat except magic and luck going up.

Leo has a bit of a nasty encounter with a Lightning Sorcerer, but nets himself a near perfect level sans luck. Pretty good run so far.

Beruka gets in on the fun and gets herself a five statter, missing out on speed and luck. I didn't give her any speedwings because nothing will save that stat at this point.

Charlotte maxes out, ready to promote into a Hero

Of course, Selena had to ruin the vibes by getting a +SKL/DEF/RES level.

Camilla gets +STR/SKL/DEF/RES and picks up Savage Blow, effectively becoming a Poison Striker for tougher units.

Another level, another two-statter for +STR/DEF. But he picks up Charm, so he's a good damage booster to hang around with.

Odin dangerously flings spells while standing on a flying horse, and is punished with a STR/LCK level. But he picks up Speed+2, boosting his speed to 22 now.

By the way, I was kidding. Of course Charlotte will promote to a Berserker.

Less luck is weird, and MAN if you thought her resistance was bad before, it's worse now.

Charlotte tests out her new muscles on a poor, defenseless General.

Beruka cleans up the other General before Charlotte and Effie set up shop to get some weakened enemies for next turn.

Charlotte is good for the west side of Generals since one carries a Hammer to wreck Effie. Speaking of her, she's set up in a spot where all but one Paladin can hit her, which happens to the one that carries an Armorslayer.

Those anti-beast weapons are finally getting my money's worth. Though it's hilarious that the Paladin barely scratches Effie's total health even with the Armorslayer.

Arthur takes out two enemies thanks to Azura and finally gets himself a good level. He's now joined the 20 STR/SKL/SPD club at only level 16.

Well, it had to happen eventually.

The job of Leo/Niles is to loot the treasures in the upper right and left. The pair-up soldiers in the upper middle won't move at all unless you enter their danger zone so this strategy's safe to save time.

This annoying strategist has a Freeze staff while two Paladins are in range to hurt whoever gets stuck in the staircase.

Reinforcements show up once you trigger the Strategist, with two Generals on the west side and two Paladins on the east. Well, 1 Paladin because Effie was on top of one staircase.

Laslow kills one Paladin and weakens another, capping out and gets ready to promote.

Arthur nets another kill while Niles loots an Energy Drop.

You are very fortunate that Marth's class is powerful.

Lots of green numbers today.

Some poor dumb Paladin charged right into Effie's Beastkiller. Now that she has Wary Fighter, I'm even less fearful of sending her out against hordes.

I'm having Laslow become a Mechanist because Golembane is way more useful in Conquest since I'm facing puppets and opposing Mechanists. Also, mounted units are never bad. And more bow users never hurt since I have a severe lack of them even if everyone promotes.

The bosses are paired-up, and both have Wary Fighter. Super annoying to deal with.

Charlotte cracks open one of the boss Generals with some help from Laslow, continuing her plan of "Get big health, big strong"

And that takes care of two of the bosses. Unfortunately she missed speed again with just a +STR/SKL level but eh, she has 24. That's good enough for now.

Once the Generals are defeated, the door opens but you can't actually talk to them. You don't really have any extra dialogue in this mission.

Many, many turns later, the team arrive at Zola's front door as Effie comes in and weakens the two pair-up units.

Niles opens up the chest for a Master Seal, reserved for Beruka if she ever makes it to 20.

Selena stabs one Sorcerer to death for a +HP/LCK/DEF level.

Odin and Beruka finish off the mooks, the latter getting +HP/STR/DEF. She's got 20 defense and 21 skill, but everything else is kinda meandering. But being a flying axe person goes a long way to ignore those flaws.

I act only for the glory of Nohr! Why is this happening? WHY?!

You're in trouble when Zola sounds logical.

Nothing special as far as skills go. He's just a little tougher because of that boss tile.

Good for a level 18, less impressive once you factor in that he's effectively already promoted.

Also, reinforcements show up but I blocked two of them by sitting on staircases again.

Leo's only advantage at this point is that he's not weak to bows.

It's not that Leo is terrible, his base stats are just unimpressive for someone that wields the worst royal weapon out of the five.

I must...r-report back...to King...Gar...on...

Selena, the hell, girl. At least Zola gave us a good 10k gold.

Class Overview

Dark Falcon

Pair-up Bonus: +3 MAG/SPD, +1 MOV
Weapon rank: Tomes (A), Lances (B)

Skills: (lvl 5) Speed+2
(lvl 10) Relief-Recover 20% HP at the start of the user’s Turn if no units are within a 2 tile radius
(lvl 25) Rally Movement-Movement +1 to all allies within a 2 tile radius for one Turn when the “Rally” command is used
(lvl 35) Galeforce-When user triggers the battle, allows a full action if the user defeats the enemy (once per Turn and no help from a support unit)

Dark Falcons are just powerful all-around units. Good magic, excellent skills, excellent speed base, and Galeforce. It IS heavily nerfed, but still pretty good in Fates.

Lodestar

Pair-up Bonus: +2 STR, +3 SPD/LCK
Weapon rank: Swords (S)

Skills: (lvl 5) Dancing Blade-Speed +3, Defence -1
(lvl 10) Charm-Allies within a 2 tile radius deal 2 extra damage during battles
(lvl 25) Dual Guarder-When user is the support unit while paired up, shield gauge gain +1
(lvl 35) Speedtaker-When user defeats the enemy, Speed +2 (up to 10) (does not overlap with other Taker skills and expires after the chapter)

Lodestar is all about being an excellent support unit with late-game being a rolling boulder of speed and swords. A shame there's no Dual Katana available on Conquest, but Swords-only still have access to Killing Edge which will be great for Arthur.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Jeez, the Lodestar character model was not designed with Arthur's lantern jaw in mind. :stare:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Why isn't there a Berserker Class Overview?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Because I'm doing that next update

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Tae posted:

Because I'm doing that next update

Okay, cool.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

good old charlotte. 1 res at promotion, but 28 strength and 24 speed!

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Charlotte as a hero is alright if only to give her Sol and then immediately Heart Seal to Berserker. An expensive option for just one unit, but Sol-crits are great for her.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
See, Xander's reaction at the beginning to his 5-stat level up was this:

"It was good, but still not good enough to make me Ryoma."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The problem with Xander is that from what we see he doesn't have a very good reason to be devoted to Garon, at all. You can see what they wanted to go for - a good man struggling to win his father's approval - but it never clicks because Garon is never portrayed as anything other than King Immabadguy

It would have worked a lot better if Garon became an evil guy only a few years back. Change the kidnapping scene to have Sumeragi trying to murder Garon instead, Garon wins the fight, sees Sumeragi's kid he brought with him but can't see a way to safely send him/her back and adopts them. Maybe give us some flashbacks to Garon and Corrin playing catch and Garon teaching Corrin respect for life or something, only for Garon to go nuts because he's possessed by that demon dragon thing, and now Corrin and the Nohr royals are trying to fight a token war with Hoshido while actually looking for a cure for Garon's madness.

I would've also been down for Corrin being totally incompetent but managing to skirt by and succeed because the rest of the army's constantly shoring up his/her lack of common sense. A character 'leading' an army with good intentions but needing other people to contribute regularly sounds neat to me. Like, an entire game like the Ice Tribe rebellion.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I would've also been down for Corrin being totally incompetent but managing to skirt by and succeed because the rest of the army's constantly shoring up his/her lack of common sense. A character 'leading' an army with good intentions but needing other people to contribute regularly sounds neat to me. Like, an entire game like the Ice Tribe rebellion.

What you want is FE5

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

good old charlotte. 1 res at promotion, but 28 strength and 24 speed!

The whole point of Charlotte is that anything stupid enough to get near her is turned into a bloody stain.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

TheKingofSprings posted:

What you want is FE5

Or the first act of FE10

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wat

You literally can't beat this mission without releasing the Hoshidan nobles yourself

But why?! I captured Nohr's enemies for you! You should be thanking me!
Contemptible fool. This may be our father's way, but it is not ours.
Lord Leo...
You are a mockery and a disgrace. It sickens me to think there are rats like you tainting our kingdom's grand legacy. Impersonating a peaceful leader to trick the Hoshidans into letting their guard down...

Well, at least Leo's hatred of Zola carries over on this route.

You'd probably rather die than live with the shame, correct? In that case...
EEEK! No! Please!! M-m-milord... I was wrong! S-so wrong! I have seen the error of my ways! P-please...spare my unworthy life!!

For your crimes against humanity... Begone!

Leo just stabs Zola here instead of using his tree tome. Probably generic because Leo can change classes here.

GYAAAAAAA!! *dies*
*sigh*
Leo... Did you really have to kill him?

Also consistent in Corrin asking why Leo hates Zola for being a backstabby betrayer that betrayed them.

If we had let him live, he would have told Father we helped the Hoshidan royal family. Then all of us would have been in grave danger.
I suppose so...
You're still too soft, Corrine. I envy your innocence. A rat like Zola must be cut down upon defeat for the good of all. What would you have us do? Accept him as an ally only to suffer betrayal later?

Let me tell you about a game called Birthright

But the dead can't speak, can they?

Leo is easily my 2nd favorite of the royals.

I know you're right... That doesn't mean I have to like it.
Good, then this matter is settled.
Leo... You would have made a really frightening enemy...
Hm? Did you say something?
Um, nope! Nothing at all.

Psst, Leo was actually a chump in the other game. Actually, pretty much all the royals were mediocre to bad combat units except Camilla. But she was only threatening because of that cheating Dragon Vein AoE.

*time passes*

So wait, are we back to having armies again represented by characters?

I was almost toast, but now I can celebrate with a toast instead. HA!
Ugh, so excitable. He's just as bad as his doppelganger.
I was hoping the real Izana would be a tad more...dignified.
Truly unsettling...
YAAAY! I got to befriend two Izanas in one day! That's a whole lotta Izana, KEEHEEHEE!

Tough crowd.

Ryoma! I'm so glad you're safe.
Is something wrong?
Quiet, you! Filthy traitors don't get the honor of speaking so casually to Ryoma.
So she needs your permission to express concern? *sigh* Hoshidans are the worst. I'd drop the attitude if I were you. After all, we just saved your sorry lives.

Saving us was the natural thing to do, even for Nohrian scum.
Oh my... I didn't know the Hoshidan royals were such ungrateful little monsters.
How dare you! This all happened because of one of your underlings right? You should be apologizing to us, not looking for a pat on the back!
That face... You should have that looked at. It's not right, darling.
You... You—!!

Were the situation reversed, we would have done the same. As such, we feel no need to express our gratitude for your actions.

Bullshit, Ryo. Takumi would be the first to shoot us on sight.

(And then laugh because seriously, he couldn't kill even Elise in a surprise attack)

Agreed. As it were, we don't want your gratitude. We only acted as Nohrian royals should. When we leave this place, you'll be nothing but an enemy to be defeated once more.
Xander, Ryoma... Everyone...
Um, even if we're still enemies, I'm grateful that we can all share a meal together.
I know this is likely the only time this will ever happen...but I'll always remember it. I...I know once we leave here, nothing will have changed between us...
Um! Corrine! I, um...

I was just, um...th-thinking...it's really nice to finally see you again. I'm glad you... I'm glad you f-found a way to be happy...
Sakura...
I'm happy to see you too.
R-really? You mean it?! Oh, Corrine!
HMPH! Back off, you! She's my sister! MINE!

Jesus christ, Elise! Are we sure we're playing Conquest? Shouldn't this at least pretend we're the okay ones?

Ah! I'm s-sorry!
Elise! Mind your manners, little one.

Heehee!
Azura? Did you just...giggle?
I was just thinking that, in a weird way, this is all quite heartwarming. We're like one big family...albeit, a dysfunctional one.
Ha! I was thinking the same thing.
Even so...this is nice. I never thought I'd have the privilege of enjoying a meal with all of my siblings.

Elise about to gouge Sakura's eyes out? Perfectly fiiiiine.

As am I.
Though this moment is sure to end, I'll be forever grateful for this. I hope all of us can meet in peace again after the war is over. I wish that with all of my heart.
I know that's a strange thing to say when we'll soon be trying to kill each other. But for now, I'd like to revel in this feeling, and in my dreams of an impossible future...

So uh...aren't we on a secret mission as an Ops team? I think the mission's compromised.

Class Overview

Berserker

Pair-up Bonus: +5 STR, +3 SPD
Weapon rank: Axes (S)

Skills: (lvl 5) Rally Strength-Strength +4 to all allies within a 2 tile radius for one Turn when the “Rally” command is used
(lvl 15) Axefaire-When user is equipped with an Axe, damage +5 during battle

Berserker deletes enemies. They come with innate +20 crit, so just wielding a Killer Axe is enough to have a near 50% chance of dealing insane damage to any enemy. Add that with Gamble and Charlotte's PSkill and she becomes the premier destroyer of most units. Both Berserker skills are great, and Zerkers are a popular pair-up choice for a unit like Xander that loves speed and strength in high doses.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Space Bat posted:

This entire game's plot would have been automatically improved if they'd cut out all but two siblings per side (especially Corrin) and made Leo and Takumi respectively the main characters. They have real personalities and some semblance of character development. Hell, so far Leo seems to be the best character in this game's crappy cast as opposed to the current lead who is the absolute worst.

RareAcumen posted:

Isn't that basically what we already have? Corrin does not make good decisions. If anything, they seem to be dragging down the armies though incompetence almost as much as Garon does on purpose.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Isn't that basically what we already have? Corrin does not make good decisions. If anything, they seem to be dragging down the armies though incompetence almost as much as Garon does on purpose.

Well not particularly. Silas was putting in overtime during the Ice tribe subjugation and then that pretty much totally tapered off afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Tae posted:

Were the situation reversed, we would have done the same. As such, we feel no need to express our gratitude for your actions.

Elise. Medicine.

• Locked thread