Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It probably doesn't help that it starts off pretty poorly. I quit after getting bored with that Russian airport level and I haven't played it since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

tap my mountain posted:

It probably doesn't help that it starts off pretty poorly. I quit after getting bored with that Russian airport level and I haven't played it since.

That's the tutorial, thats not even the game

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nope, sure haven't and cool.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Help Im Alive posted:

The episodic format is perfect for hitman idk why so many people whined about it

not only do episodic games in general have a record of getting shut down before completion but squeenix in particular had just hosed up episodic Deus ex a year or two before.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

tap my mountain posted:

you have a bright future writing for IGN

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

a kitten posted:

What the heck even is Prey? I've never played System Shock...or Bioshock for that matter.

Is there character customization?

First-person exploration of a spooky space station full of hostile aliens. You have a skill tree that determines your specialization and most situations have multiple solutions depending on the skills and powers you have.

It's basically an FPS/RPG with a big emphasis on exploring a detailed game world.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Please make Kane and Lynch 3

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
FPS with some rpg mechanics in a world with very deliberate design allowing players to approach objectives in multiple ways. If you love exploring in video games and being rewarded for it you'll probably like it. Like to get from point A to B there's probably 2~3 different things you can do

e: beaten

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

a kitten posted:

What the heck even is Prey? I've never played System Shock...or Bioshock for that matter.

Prey is in what some people call the "immersive sim" genre (strange name but it seems to have stuck), where you move through complex interconnected environments and overcome obstacles to progress. It's in first person but it's not exactly a shooter as you can't run and gun (at least not at first), so you have to use the environment and what you can find in order to survive and move on.

There is a skill tree that gives you different options for interacting with the environment (hack computers, repair broken machines, lift heavy objects, etc.) which open up various ways of completing objectives

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

a kitten posted:

skill tree wise yes, monster factory face crafting no

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

a kitten posted:

What would I have to say to convince you to play System Shock 2

I like that game a whole heck of a lot!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

a kitten posted:

It's a game where you're given a great deal of freedom to explore an environment and use its contents to gain access to places and neutralize enemies in many different ways. You have a lot of weapons, items, environmental devices, routes, hiding places, etc and the challenge is to find combinations of them that work well together to exploit enemy weaknesses or to tilt the situation in your favor beforehand.

Yes, there is character customization.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
All Hitman assets absorbed to commence development of Mini Ninjas 2

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
system shock 2 and deus ex 1 go for like $5 and $2.50 respectively in steam sales so pick one of those up i guess and see if you like it and that'll let you know if you prey is a thing you'll dig

hell, i'd recommend playing deus ex regardless cause it's a pretty timeless, fun game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does Prey have item durability? This is what decides whether or not I buy it

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

DLC Inc posted:

you have a bright future writing for IGN

Maybe I'm getting too impatient as I get older or my lack of experience from previous games was preventing me from figuring out a quicker way, but I don't like spending 10 minutes slowly slipping through patrols just to get inside the gate.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

No

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Prey isn't as good as Deus ex though and also has basically no NPCs so theyre not very comparable....

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

tap my mountain posted:

Maybe I'm getting too impatient as I get older or my lack of experience from previous games was preventing me from figuring out a quicker way, but I don't like spending 10 minutes slowly slipping through patrols just to get inside the gate.

If you did that then you really are bad at videogames lmao

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've been tempted to buy deus ex 2 and replay it for a buck many times but every time i remember how loving bad that game gets in the second half

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Prey is in what some people call the "immersive sim" genre (strange name but it seems to have stuck), where you move through complex interconnected environments and overcome obstacles to progress.
Yeah, I've seen that term bandied around recently and I have no idea who came up with it. Though as I understand it, the subgenre doesn't require carefully interwoven levels, it's more about the way a game's various systems interact with one another. I've seen STALKER and Far Cry 2 described as "immersive sims" for example.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

no

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How well does it do item scarcity?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well dang it, now it sounds like I might need to get Prey. I still need to really dive into HZD!

and stop being obsessed with Nier:A

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

How well does it do item scarcity?

ammo is very scarce just by scavenging, but you can shove all the garbage you find looting the station into these big fancy recycling bins that breaks them into resources, and then you can chuck those resources in fabricators you can find to generate ammunition and equipment

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ometeotl posted:

These are just Steam numbers, but...

Hitman Absolution: Owners: 3,020,229 ± 50,168
Hitman: Owners: 631,227 ± 23,003

Yeah...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It might depend on difficulty level, I think, but there is a point where you enter into a post-scarcity phase and I was swimming in every possible resource.

I basically completely scrounged the entire station though

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

ammo is very scarce just by scavenging, but you can shove all the garbage you find looting the station into these big fancy recycling bins that breaks them into resources, and then you can chuck those resources in fabricators you can find to generate ammunition and equipment

gently caress it does seem real cool. I'm trying to rationalize why I don't really want to play it, and I think I just have to admit that I'm a wimp who can't play scary games, or even spooky ones

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

There's really something oddly satisfying about shoving a ton of garbage into there and having it turn into cute little cubes

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Jay Rust posted:

gently caress it does seem real cool. I'm trying to rationalize why I don't really want to play it, and I think I just have to admit that I'm a wimp who can't play scary games, or even spooky ones

Do you find chairs and coffee cups spooky?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If they can move on their own

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what if you were trying to sip out of a coffee mug... and then the mug suddenly and violently splashed the coffee on your pants

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Jay Rust posted:

If they can move on their own

The medkit you're about to pick up suddenly transforms into a four legged spider thing and attacks you, so if you think that's too much avoid Prey

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Colonel posted:

what if you were trying to sip out of a coffee mug... and then the mug suddenly and violently splashed the coffee on your pants

Wow, that's like a very real fear I have every morning.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Based on the demo the only spooky thing is the combat music which will start before you even see the enemy (a black blob) and blasts at about six times the volume of anything else.

Maybe they fixed that in the final game tho hopefully

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

I call that Monday.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
They're waiting for you Morgan, in the test chamberrrrr.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah the sound mixing in Prey is probably one of its flaws, it is all over the place with that stuff. I enjoy it when the "peaceful emotional" music cue plays, totally obscuring the environmental sounds and I get attacked from behind and die while the peaceful music is still playing because it won't cut off

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Could be a Witcher 3 situation where you're better off without the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It does have such a good intro theme though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TRdx2tbUFI

• Locked thread