Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RareAcumen posted:

This is just a blanket complaint but is there some kind of blood pact on video games that says your character has to have an alcohol tolerance of a blue jay? Seems like every game besides LISA that lets you drink makes your vision sway around like you've shakycam going after one drink. And if you go for more than one then you're totally hosed and everything's just a blurred after-imaged mess that you can't keep track of poo poo with.

Also you stay drunk for about four seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Fil5000 posted:

I guess the boring answer is that alcohol in a lot of games functions as some sort of health boost or buff and comes with the wobbly screen consequence to give you some sort of risk/reward to evaluate. The only place I've really found alcohol to be fun in a game is in GTA, and only then because it fucks with your controls as well turning driving a car into a guaranteed series of increasingly worse crashes.

Condemned 2 inverted this mechanic by making your character an alcoholic who can't line up a shot without first drinking a bottle.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

This is just a blanket complaint but is there some kind of blood pact on video games that says your character has to have an alcohol tolerance of a blue jay? Seems like every game besides LISA that lets you drink makes your vision sway around like you've shakycam going after one drink. And if you go for more than one then you're totally hosed and everything's just a blurred after-imaged mess that you can't keep track of poo poo with.

Probably because in most games with alcohol there's not much point in drinking it unless you want the wobbly screen effects.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Clearly we need more drunken master video games.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

The Moon Monster posted:

Probably because in most games with alcohol there's not much point in drinking it unless you want the wobbly screen effects.

being drunk in Yakuza opens up more Heat attacks and i've noticed the screen shaking isn't as obnoxious when you drink one item in that game compared to other games.

though when you keep drinking it does blur everything around your peripheral vision.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I liked the booze explanation in Deus Ex that it fucks with JC's systems something terrible but his nanomachines break it down really quickly.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Various STALKER protags can put multiple bottles of vodka away before getting a bit woozy, as can Geralt and TF2's demo.

But then, they're probably all alcoholics anyway.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Witcher has the best alcohol system because it's part of the potions gameplay mechanic and also getting completely hammered and wandering off to beat up monsters and do stupid poo poo is fun, possible, and 100% in-character to the point that it happens on multiple scripted occasions throughout the games

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Walton Simons posted:

I liked the booze explanation in Deus Ex that it fucks with JC's systems something terrible but his nanomachines break it down really quickly.

It also explains why food and drinks instantly heal you, your nano-digestion is super fast and efficient.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Just make enemies appear slightly lower levels, and any floating damage numbers you do are higher than the damage you actually deal.

Wasn't there a game that did this? It sounds familiar and I'm going nuts trying to remember what it was.

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Wasn't there a game that did this? It sounds familiar and I'm going nuts trying to remember what it was.

World of Warcraft did it, if I recall correctly.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

World of Warcraft does this when you get drunk in it.

^See above, that guy gets it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I think it's funny when games make you deal with the consequences of excess drinking, like getting hungover in Conker or projectile vomiting in Dead Rising.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Almost all video game protagonists seem to be complete lightweights who start seeing things after one beer.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I want any game I can drink in to let me drink to such excess it turns in to QWOP.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What would be the point of one beer doing nothing though? I don't want to sit and press A to drink beer my way through two pitchers for my character to get drunk. I can do that on my own in real life.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
In the Metro series it's justified, insofar as the liquor is homemade from underground mushrooms.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just did the penultimate level in Mirror's Edge. Wasn't a fan of climbing the foyer to the gun placement, I found it really buggy - faith would keep pulling herself on top of the vertical pieces of sheet metal and falling off the other end, and a few times it was difficult to see where I was supposed to be going. Also fighting down the other foyer wasn't much fun as there were no good shortcuts, and the sniping mission was just poorly implemented. Better than the boat though. At least I think the only annoying part to go is the infamous server room, but we'll see how the Shard goes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

Almost all video game protagonists seem to be complete lightweights who start seeing things after one beer.

Yeah, I was saying that from a gameplay perspective getting "drunk" is often the only reason to drink in games. Needing five drinks to get drunk would be like needing 5 potions to start healing or whatever. Of course it's kind of silly from a "how alcohol actually works" angle.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

ilmucche posted:

What would be the point of one beer doing nothing though? I don't want to sit and press A to drink beer my way through two pitchers for my character to get drunk. I can do that on my own in real life.

Press X to loving CHUG

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
WatchUnderscoreDogs 1 has you doing shots of moonshine so it's kinda understandable that you get blind drunk rather fast.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You'd have to be drunk at all times to enjoy Watch Dogs 1.

"Press X to jump over niece's grave."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You'd have to be drunk at all times to enjoy Watch Dogs 1.

"Press X to jump over niece's grave."

Press x to assault stranger using baton

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The writing in Alan Wake was pretty bad at times but the scene where Alan accidentally goes on a native american vision quest by chugging moonshine has to be the dumbest. Both because that's not how alcohol works, and because he decided that the best thing to do when holed up in a cabin surrounded by the Darkness and fending off endless waves of killer monsters is to GET FUCKIN 'HAMMERED WOOO!

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Guy Mann posted:

The writing in Alan Wake was pretty bad at times but the scene where Alan accidentally goes on a native american vision quest by chugging moonshine has to be the dumbest. Both because that's not how alcohol works, and because he decided that the best thing to do when holed up in a cabin surrounded by the Darkness and fending off endless waves of killer monsters is to GET FUCKIN 'HAMMERED WOOO!

Did you have a better idea? :colbert:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Please don't disparage Alan Wake, one of my top 5 games

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

To be fair it's hard to simulate "slightly buzzed" or "eh, a little tipsy".

GTA does after a bit of being shitfaced. your controls return to normal but things are a bit "off" for a minute or so. Also, the Yakuza series.

MrJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:56 on May 12, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I'm almost done with Hollow Knight and gave up on 100% pretty quick when it turned out that one of the health increasing items is gated behind an incredibly bullshit side quest.

You're given an item to take to a gravestone on the clear other side of the map from the quest giver, who is hidden behind a completely secret area. You can't quick travel with the item and have to take it to the destination without taking any damage at all. Every path to the destination is filled with annoying to avoid and fight enemies, explosive enemies and difficult to avoid hazards. You can't take a single point of damage.

EDIT: Still managed 98%. Last boss was weirdly easy.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 02:24 on May 12, 2017

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

being drunk in Yakuza opens up more Heat attacks and i've noticed the screen shaking isn't as obnoxious when you drink one item in that game compared to other games.

though when you keep drinking it does blur everything around your peripheral vision.

It also makes mini games like pool and darts harder to do.

So of course when you take on NPCs at darts and pool they offer to buy you drinks before each round so it gets slowly harder and harder to keep winning money off them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Guy Mann posted:

It also explains why food and drinks instantly heal you, your nano-digestion is super fast and efficient.

The image of Jensen just shovelling a 4kg tub of protein powder into his face is still hilarious though.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've always figured that 90% of the drunk mechanics in games was an unspoken consession to folks who kvetch about this terrible industry secretly influencing children to do terrible things.

On some really low key way, these mechanics are teaching kids (who might not be playing these games, but totally are) that, hey drinking a ton of booze and Running Off To Do Things isn't a good idea.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

Just did the penultimate level in Mirror's Edge. Wasn't a fan of climbing the foyer to the gun placement, I found it really buggy - faith would keep pulling herself on top of the vertical pieces of sheet metal and falling off the other end, and a few times it was difficult to see where I was supposed to be going. Also fighting down the other foyer wasn't much fun as there were no good shortcuts, and the sniping mission was just poorly implemented. Better than the boat though. At least I think the only annoying part to go is the infamous server room, but we'll see how the Shard goes.

The server room isn't that bad once you figure out the trick. The outdoor segment before it is worse.

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

Nuebot posted:

So I'm almost done with Hollow Knight and gave up on 100% pretty quick when it turned out that one of the health increasing items is gated behind an incredibly bullshit side quest.

You're given an item to take to a gravestone on the clear other side of the map from the quest giver, who is hidden behind a completely secret area. You can't quick travel with the item and have to take it to the destination without taking any damage at all. Every path to the destination is filled with annoying to avoid and fight enemies, explosive enemies and difficult to avoid hazards. You can't take a single point of damage.

EDIT: Still managed 98%. Last boss was weirdly easy.

I gave it my first try and lost the flower only in the last room before the end. Depressing.

Probably if you collect 98% of the upgrades the final boss is going to be easy, yeah :ssh:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

bookkeeper posted:

Probably if you collect 98% of the upgrades the final boss is going to be easy, yeah :ssh:

It's not like you get that much stronger or anything though. This isn't castlevania where you get game breaking weapons. Most of the stuff you collect are just badges you don't wear. I beat the last boss using the amazing tactic of just bouncing off its dumb head with a downward slash. That carried me through like 80% of the game once I figured out how to bounce.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Nuebot posted:

It's not like you get that much stronger or anything though. This isn't castlevania where you get game breaking weapons. Most of the stuff you collect are just badges you don't wear. I beat the last boss using the amazing tactic of just bouncing off its dumb head with a downward slash. That carried me through like 80% of the game once I figured out how to bounce.

Radiance teleports around, though. Wouldn't that make the sword bounce thing more difficult than just jumping into him and slashing repeatedly (since he doesn't have collision damage)? I feel like you'd have trouble dodging through the light beams as well.

The flower quest is a lot easier when you kill all the enemies before you get the flower. Most enemies don't respawn unless you sit at a bench.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Zinkraptor posted:

Radiance teleports around, though. Wouldn't that make the sword bounce thing more difficult than just jumping into him and slashing repeatedly (since he doesn't have collision damage)? I feel like you'd have trouble dodging through the light beams as well.

The flower quest is a lot easier when you kill all the enemies before you get the flower. Most enemies don't respawn unless you sit at a bench.

Dash through the light beams, he only teleports for the first phase. Second phase he mostly just sits there and spams swords which doesn't go so well because only one of the sword attacks could hit me, the radial one.

I didn't think to clear the path first. Then didn't feel like walking across the world multiple times so I just gave up and finished the game. I never did find the last couple of grubs either.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just beaten Mirror's Edge 1. The final level wasn't nearly as bad as that loving boat, and honestly, neither was the foyer fight at the end of the previous level. I managed the server room on my fourth try and the rooftops beforehand weren't as annoying as I'd expected. Once I knew the direction it was just a matter of cover-to-covering to the end of the roofs.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

Just beaten Mirror's Edge 1. The final level wasn't nearly as bad as that loving boat, and honestly, neither was the foyer fight at the end of the previous level. I managed the server room on my fourth try and the rooftops beforehand weren't as annoying as I'd expected. Once I knew the direction it was just a matter of cover-to-covering to the end of the roofs.

The server room is a really easy if you run laps around the outside. You only have to break one computer in each quadrant, and the shooty guys will do it for you.

Have you played XIII?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

ilmucche posted:

The server room is a really easy if you run laps around the outside. You only have to break one computer in each quadrant, and the shooty guys will do it for you.

Have you played XIII?

I got really close to the end but got stuck at a foyer-type part of the final level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
XIII was cool and I wish more games did that comic book sound effect thing where it visualized the Doppler Effect with onomatopoeias.