Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Ometeotl posted:

These are just Steam numbers, but...

Hitman Absolution: Owners: 3,020,229 ± 50,168
Hitman: Owners: 631,227 ± 23,003

Yeah...

Absolution has been $1 multiple times on top of being in multiple Humble Bundles. I'm pretty sure they even gave it away for free at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

corn in the bible posted:

If you did that then you really are bad at videogames lmao

I looked up what you're supposed to do and there's a spot on the fence without barbed wire that I missed. This is definitely poor game design and not some DSP situation where I banged my head against the wrong solution for an hour before giving up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There is a fence and you can climb, looking for places where you can climb might be a good idea

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
We all get a little DSP sometimes

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Prey you don't get a corrupted save ha ha ha

The game looks really cool but I'm gonna let them shake the bugs out before I get to it.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Mordja posted:

Yeah, I've seen that term bandied around recently and I have no idea who came up with it. Though as I understand it, the subgenre doesn't require carefully interwoven levels, it's more about the way a game's various systems interact with one another. I've seen STALKER and Far Cry 2 described as "immersive sims" for example.

The term might have originated with Warren Spector, since he worked on a lot of the early games with that style of gameplay (Deus Ex, System Shock) and he also taught game design for a while, so he would've had a reason to actually come up with a term for what he was doing. And yeah, as far as I understand it, it's a game design ethos that promotes simulating stuff to make a world feel more immersive to the player, both in fairly benign ways (you can flush toilets) and through different systems interacting with each other (if I can move objects and my game has enemies, I should be able to throw an object at an enemy).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wow, I forgot that the briefing video pans across the fence gap and it's also right on your screen when the mission starts. There's also a guard conversation opportunity that's right by it so you are encouraged to walk right up to it and a spotlight is shining on it too

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly re: waiting on Prey, major studio games are made, sold, and supported in such a way that it's basically better to just stay perpetually a year behind the new release cycle unless you just absolutely have to be part of the conversation or multiplayer scene when a game drops. Most games cost less, are less buggy, and have more content if you wait to buy them. It rules.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wow, I forgot that the briefing video pans across the fence gap and it's also right on your screen when the mission starts. There's also a guard conversation opportunity that's right by it so you are encouraged to walk right up to it and a spotlight is shining on it too

Also, the floodlights were very deliberately placed to highlight all the gaps in the barbed wire.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

I looked up what you're supposed to do and there's a spot on the fence without barbed wire that I missed. This is definitely poor game design and not some DSP situation where I banged my head against the wrong solution for an hour before giving up.

Gamers never look up...

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It's me, I'm the reason why L4D had autocrouch and Mirrors Edge had to colorcode the path.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I got trapped there too, if it helps. I kept trying to distract the gate guards instead.

Thankfully I eventually made my way through and enjoyed the rest of GotY 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Prey still keeps surprising me: "Aww, a green zone on the space station, they even have this cute pond with lilies."

*water in the pond turns out to be a screen with a room hidden under it, all 3 lilies are mimics*

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To be fair, I also didn't climb that fence at first because those two guards are very obviously directly in the line of sight to you and the fence which will both be lit up with a giant spotlight. But climbing over it taught me that guards in Hitman are totally blind outside of a range of about 5 feet at which point they gain crystal clear perfect vision.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hitman, best immersive sim of 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i also didn't find the fence at first. they should have just started in paris

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

i also didn't find the fence at first. they should have just started in paris

Yeah or at least not have the second tutorial level. The boat is more than enough

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I always shot the light out before climbing over. I don't know if that affected anything.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also that part of the fence glows in instinct mode because you can climb it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the whole reason you do the second tutorial is because it's the hardest mission known to man and you're supposed to dunk on it to embarrass the situs inversus guy. but that could have just been the boat

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe the tutorial should've just been all of Blood Money

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Also because the ejector seat kill is great

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

is final fantasy even a huge draw itself these days? i know it's still in triple A territory but I thought its heyday was long past compared to market busters like call of duty or uncharted etc. etc.

Well, it doesn't hurt that FF15 is actually a pretty drat good game, especially compared to 13 (though 13-2 and 13-3 are two of the best in the series)

Also: Goddamn it Persona 5, don't throw a maze dungeon at me at 5 AM when I'm really stoned (I got to the Pyramid last night)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only Hitman game I played was 2 and that put me off ever playing any more. I don't really like stealth games anyway.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hitman (2016) is the first one I ever played. I should probably check out Blood Money at some point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I got Absolution free with PS+ and it was... fine? Never understood why people were down on that game, the story and B-movie poo poo is bonkers but it was a blast to play.

Hitman GO is also very good, probably the best of the GO games.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

wizard on a water slide posted:

Honestly re: waiting on Prey, major studio games are made, sold, and supported in such a way that it's basically better to just stay perpetually a year behind the new release cycle unless you just absolutely have to be part of the conversation or multiplayer scene when a game drops. Most games cost less, are less buggy, and have more content if you wait to buy them. It rules.

Also anybody who is already invested enough in a game to drop $60 to buy it at launch week is somebody whose experience is too effected by hype and expectations for me to take seriously, you need the people who get it a month later for half off at the very least before you start getting more balanced opinions. Remember how for like a week after it came out Resident Evil 7 was the best in the series and the greatest horror game in years and was gonna single-handedly save VR then after that nobody really talked about it or cared, or how Mankind Divided and FFXV being unfinished piles who weren't worth it didn't really start getting traction until the holidays sales?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Also anybody who is already invested enough in a game to drop $60 to buy it at launch week is somebody whose experience is too effected by hype and expectations for me to take seriously, you need the people who get it a month later for half off at the very least before you start getting more balanced opinions. Remember how for like a week after it came out Resident Evil 7 was the best in the series and the greatest horror game in years and was gonna single-handedly save VR then after that nobody really talked about it or cared, or how Mankind Divided and FFXV being unfinished piles who weren't worth it didn't really start getting traction until the holidays sales?

Re7 is really good and nobody has changed their minds on this but I guess I don't live in bizarro guy mann clickbait world. One weird trick to being a idiot pedant who has never been right, ever, and has nothing of value to say! Mods hate this!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ometeotl posted:

These are just Steam numbers, but...

Hitman Absolution: Owners: 3,020,229 ± 50,168
Hitman: Owners: 631,227 ± 23,003

Yeah...

Yikes. If you liked Hitman enough to buy Absolution, why wouldn't you buy Hitman '16?? Absolution couldn't have turned that many people off the franchise...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

What? As far as I know nobody changed their mind on RE7. It just was a game that was finished and people moved on to other stuff.

raditts posted:

Yikes. If you liked Hitman enough to buy Absolution, why wouldn't you buy Hitman '16?? Absolution couldn't have turned that many people off the franchise...

Maybe they liked Absolution's gameplay style and not Hitman 16's, or maybe they didn't like the episodic nature of the game, or maybe they didn't know it came out, etc, etc.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

I got Absolution free with PS+ and it was... fine? Never understood why people were down on that game, the story and B-movie poo poo is bonkers but it was a blast to play.

Hitman GO is also very good, probably the best of the GO games.

Absolution is a great game. I think the reason people were down on it and still are to this day is because it's pretty antithetical to the standard Hitman formula, going from open levels to a more checkpoint/area based system. There are still some open levels in the classic style (the Chinatown one and the one where you have to take out the three cops come immediately to mind) but it basically goes checkpoint to checkpoint for the majority.

Generally speaking it caught a lot of flak for being very... pushy on the player, for lack of a better word. It came out at like the peak of ragging on video games for being too hand-holding, and it definitely feels that way from time to time. Directing the player around as it does was decidedly Not Hitman, not that it really matters but it did a lot to the series' fans. It tells you exactly where to go if you don't bother telling it not to via the options menu, and that was a relatively new addition to the series at the time. It also has an actively bad story instead of a mostly ignorable bad story like the rest of the games but the story in Hitman matters exactly 0 in every iteration so lol.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

raditts posted:

If you liked Hitman and bought Absolution then that's a pretty good reason to never trust them to make a Hitman game again

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

What? As far as I know nobody changed their mind on RE7. It just was a game that was finished and people moved on to other stuff.

Also five games came out the same day and some people are still getting around to them (Yakuza 0 is great).

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Guy Mann posted:

How do you get a wifi signal when you're this far up your own rear end lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

The only Hitman game I played was 2 and that put me off ever playing any more. I don't really like stealth games anyway.

hitman 2 has not aged good, it and hitman 1 are annoyingly specific with how to clear missions. give blood money a try because it usually goes cheap and it lets you do a lot more than either just follow a set solution or shoot everything

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Resident Evil 7 was great and Prey has just edged it out on my rankings of this year's games. I rented it in March so I definitely didn't ride the hype bandwagon

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also wtf mankind divided being weird and unfinished was the big criticism from day one. the game launched with mixed reviews on steam not only because it was a technical mess but because it was a huge step down from human revolution in terms of feeling like an actual finished product. ffxv also, always received flak for being weird and unfinished, people were just lighter on it because what is there is actually really fun, and it's at least being supported post-launch as opposed to mankind divided just kind of having to sit there, eternally unfinished and barely acknowledged

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wild Arms 1 is a pretty rad, if easy, JRPG.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wild arms 1 is badass even if it would be way better if rudy was a character who said things

wild arms 2 would be badass if you could read it and understand what people are saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I liked the tone and atmosphere of Wild Arms 3. I don't remember if I ever finished it, maybe I should check it out again

• Locked thread