Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Grizzwold posted:

I know you only get the one option if you have no court physician, but I'm not sure if depressed does something similar.

If you don't have a physician the "Call your doctor" option changes to "Holy poo poo, let everyone know I'm looking for a doctor!"

Although, that might only be if the "Search for a physician" decision is available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lombardy start in the 14th century works out great now that there's ways to deal with the plague in the game and you won't just have your entire family line die off out of nowhere. I resisted the lure of creating my own kingdom, and formed italy to be rewarded with a light tan kingdom that's hard to differentiate from white Naples and Papal state to the south and White HRE to the north. I already miss my ducal purple.

Any advice for giving away counties? I've been getting away with max centralization for a while, but I've been a bit over the edge in demesne size for a while, and I was cheating by granting a bunch of them to my heir, but that doesn't work when my last ruler died and this one hasn't gotten down to business yet.

Also, between vassals that get angry when off the council and inviting experts to court that don't become loyalists, I've not been able to pass any laws through my council for a while, which is worrying, although I haven't really needed to for a while. Is there any good way to deal with that?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Giving land to your heir is a legitimate move. It's also dangerous until they come of age, because your heir can make their own marriages and will happily break their engagement to the Attractive Genius princess of France to marry the Slow Weak Lisping Hunchback with 0's in every stat.

I always wait to give land to my heirs until they are securely married to a non-retard.

For passing laws: if you're rich enough, buying favors works.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Vengarr posted:

If you don't have a physician the "Call your doctor" option changes to "Holy poo poo, let everyone know I'm looking for a doctor!"

Although, that might only be if the "Search for a physician" decision is available.

Yeah I guess it's only if you can go looking for a doctor because tribes and hordes just get the "death is everywhere" thing if you don't already have one.

edit: side question, anyone have some tips for the Khazars? I was planning on murdering my way to the levant and settling as a merchant republic but I'm having a hell of a time getting off the ground.

Grizzwold fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 11, 2017

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Grizzwold posted:

Yeah I guess it's only if you can go looking for a doctor because tribes and hordes just get the "death is everywhere" thing if you don't already have one.

edit: side question, anyone have some tips for the Khazars? I was planning on murdering my way to the levant and settling as a merchant republic but I'm having a hell of a time getting off the ground.
Old Gods start, use humiliation casus belli until you get in like the upper quartile of your pop cap. Then attack whoever you neighbor and don't have a truce with for more grazing land if its a tribal or another nomad, or for tribute if its feudal.

I think the major stumbling block for people is getting to your pop cap and not realizing the humiliate casus belli exists or else trying with the khazars in irrelevance during Chuck or in descent for the 1089 start. At the base size you start at in Old Gods, if you fill up your pop you are at a level you can probably get Old Great Bulgaria as a tributary at which point you can probably start planning an invasion on the Byzantines or the Abbassids. If you pick up any grazing land at all and pick up the pop for it you can start straight slugging with Byzantines or Abbassids comically early.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Any advice for giving away counties? I've been getting away with max centralization for a while, but I've been a bit over the edge in demesne size for a while, and I was cheating by granting a bunch of them to my heir, but that doesn't work when my last ruler died and this one hasn't gotten down to business yet.

Also, between vassals that get angry when off the council and inviting experts to court that don't become loyalists, I've not been able to pass any laws through my council for a while, which is worrying, although I haven't really needed to for a while. Is there any good way to deal with that?

Open the character finder, search your realm for lowborn men with your religion/culture, pick ones with good martial/stewardship. Only give one county to each vassal. This way keeps vassals from accumulating power too easily since they're individually weak and won't start having claims or inheritance issues for a couple generations. Start by giving away counties outside your capital duchy, and only form duchies to give away once you're at your vassal limit. Stay at your demesne limit, it's not worth it to exceed for any extended period unless your limit is 4 or less.

If you're struggling to get enough votes to pass laws, remember that your councilors don't have to stay on the council after the voting is over. Fire whoever is expendable, appoint some idiot yes-men to pass your law, then replace them.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

One over your demense limit is perfectly fine, and two over is usually not much of an issue. More than that gets rough if you don't have a huge standing army to help out, in which case you might as well ignore the demense limit and go full NK mode.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I mean yeah it's not a big deal, but remember that each holding over the limit decreases all your levies by 20% aside from your capital, so unless that extra holding accounts for more than 20% of your troops, you'll be better off giving it away. Not to mention, it pisses off your vassals.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh, I finally found out why my ruler wasn't squirting out any kids, the fucker went celibate when I wasn't looking. When his father inherited, I wound up looking around for high-martial characters like I often do, and found this guy off in a holy order who happened to be my dynasty, and it turned out he was my character's son. I invited him back, and he became my new heir after I tossed a few counties at him, but the holy life must've stuck with him. It's a real shame, I had this whole thing rigged up where his wife has an inheritable claim on Aragon too.

Still wound up getting extorted by a courtier for an affair though. My current heir is the king of Brittany, because I prefer to send my non-heir sons off into the world to seed the dynasty, but I'm not to enthusiastic on getting involved in something so far away, and more importantly, he's some jerk with garbage stats and no face.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SlothfulCobra posted:

Oh, I finally found out why my ruler wasn't squirting out any kids, the fucker went celibate when I wasn't looking. When his father inherited, I wound up looking around for high-martial characters like I often do, and found this guy off in a holy order who happened to be my dynasty, and it turned out he was my character's son. I invited him back, and he became my new heir after I tossed a few counties at him, but the holy life must've stuck with him. It's a real shame, I had this whole thing rigged up where his wife has an inheritable claim on Aragon too.

Still wound up getting extorted by a courtier for an affair though. My current heir is the king of Brittany, because I prefer to send my non-heir sons off into the world to seed the dynasty, but I'm not to enthusiastic on getting involved in something so far away, and more importantly, he's some jerk with garbage stats and no face.

If you have M&M, join a monastic order and you can eventually choose to lose celibacy

Terrible monastic order advertisement. JOIN THE MONKS TO GET hosed

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 12, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is there any way to effectively root out specific secret religious orders?

I've got a pretty huge realm as the Persian empire that includes most of Central Asia, most of the Levant, and about half of de jure Rajastan and although Zoroastrianism is very dominant secret religious groups from false converters are a big problem. The satanists I've only had to deal with once when some rando vassal suggested that satanism was cool to my emperors grandpa and Sunnis don't seem to do much but leave the Koran around (maybe because Sunni Islam is in shambles with a plummeting moral authority) but the Hindus seem to be actually converting vassals openly.

At least I think that's what is happening, I know how to rather powerful vassals who have suddenly turned to Hinduism despite no family history and no visible Hindu courtiers I can't force them to convert despite neither of them being zealous because it says they are "true believers" which I assume has something to do with the crypto-Hindus.

My chaplain keeps finding apostates but only some of them are Hindus. I got one secret Christian a few decades back but none since so either the Christians are really sneaky or that dude was the only member of his society. The saddest cult.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Midnight Voyager posted:

If you have M&M, join a monastic order and you can eventually choose to lose celibacy

Terrible monastic order advertisement. JOIN THE MONKS TO GET hosed

The first time I joined one, my character got the "go to a monastical meeting" straight up. I accepted. He then met some other character and they went "no women here :(" with the options of gaining either Chaste or Gay with the other guy as a lover. So yeah, that slogan is kind of accurate.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I still haven't tried hailing Satan yet because the monastic orders and the Hermetics are so drat awesome.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The Hermetic Society is crazy good at boosting learning

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Can you still produce an heir off your celibate son if you seduce his wife and have him think the kid is his?

Edit: Also has any new secret society mods made it out yet? I want to start a new CK2+ game but I've been holding out for Norse Fight Club.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 12, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Can you still produce an heir off your celibate son if you seduce his wife and have him think the kid is his?

Edit: Also has any new secret society mods made it out yet? I want to start a new CK2+ game but I've been holding out for Norse Fight Club.
Yes. I know because it happened to my celibate dude.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Lombardy start in the 14th century works out great now that there's ways to deal with the plague in the game and you won't just have your entire family line die off out of nowhere. I resisted the lure of creating my own kingdom, and formed italy to be rewarded with a light tan kingdom that's hard to differentiate from white Naples and Papal state to the south and White HRE to the north. I already miss my ducal purple.

Buying favors works to force council members to pass your laws. It's better to anticipate who you'll need favors from and buy them in advance, and be warned that people who dislike you are unlikely to accept unless they get into money trouble.

Aside from that, the main way to get stuff through the council is to just appoint people who'll be loyalists - dynasty members, Content people, people with green traits who like you. Of course, this does mean that you'll have less effective council jobs and angrier vassals for a while, so it's a trade-off. There are ways you can deal with powerful vassals even without putting them on your council, such as befriending them, putting them in jail, or getting a non-aggression pact via marriage. Once you've tamed a couple of powerful vassals that way, and saved up some cash, you can probably get away with replacing half your council with loyalists for a decade or two and going hog wild with law-passing.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

I just auto-converted to Waldensian by God's order, then, as Benedictine Conversus, sent myself a letter calling myself an heretic and banning me from the Benedictine Order.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

The real secret to having a good, happy council is to raise them yourself.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, the fact that my ruler never could father an heir never mattered, because the game ran out of time before he died. There's the downside of starting late. Just as well, I managed to grab both Italy and Naples, but I became enough of a threat for coalitions to be formed against me. I was really worried about eventually having to deal with the France-Castille blob and the Aragon-Portugal blob, and Sicily wound up becoming part of some bizarre spread-out Byzantium.

So now I'm back to trying to unite Ireland in viking times. It's pretty remarkable to look at all these nearly empty provinces and imagine that I'll end up fully developing them over time.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Demiurge4 posted:

There's one that I saw that looked kinda neat, but I never got to play around much with it. Great Trade League.

Now for some reason when using Ruler Designer Unlocked, RaW, Clearly, and The Great Trade League the game crashes at the end of the first year. Probably for the saving, but still.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Anyone else get smashed with the PDX team last night? Night one of PDXCON was crazy.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Toadsniff posted:

Anyone else get smashed with the PDX team last night? Night one of PDXCON was crazy.

Oh, man, I didn't know that started today.

Or that that was a thing.

Wonder if they announced that they're partnering with Hare Brained Studios for that kickstarted MechWarrior game already. Got an email about that the other day.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

BenRGamer posted:

Oh, man, I didn't know that started today.

Or that that was a thing.

Wonder if they announced that they're partnering with Hare Brained Studios for that kickstarted MechWarrior game already. Got an email about that the other day.

They did announce a new Battletech game. But nothing on Mechwarrior.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Toadsniff posted:

They did announce a new Battletech game. But nothing on Mechwarrior.

I use the two interchangeably because I'm a filthy casual. Regardless, strategy game that was kickstarted partnered with paradox.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

They didn't show any footage unfortunately. The only stuff they really showed off that was new(ish) was Prison Architect Mobile, MEIOU and Taxes (which there is a seminar on this afternoon), and Surviving Mars (but no footage, just the same release trailer).

But honestly, the best part was being able to talk with Henrik Fahraus, Chris King, Bjorn Iverson and Andreas Waldetaft (all whom were at the crazy night party).

A nice highlight was Kalabalik jamming out Andreas' kick rear end music. I didn't take video but I know PDX will post the concert at some point today.

Super loving fun folks! Get your rear end out here to Sweden next year for PDXcon2018.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I'm really sick of the most recent update. Every game I've had recently ended up with both branches of Muslims going extinct because all the Muslim rulers including the caliphs became secret Catholics. The whole secret religion and "true believer" modifiers just make the have impossible for anyone who isn't whatever the go to secret religion is.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Someone post that Chick Tract where Islam was a secret conspiracy organised by the Catholic church.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Hello, I don't know if this was already posted somewhere but I was running an ironman game shortly after the Reapers Due (I remember there being a patch before I started however). Did Monks and Mystics break saves again or should the game still be playable?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

SkySteak posted:

Hello, I don't know if this was already posted somewhere but I was running an ironman game shortly after the Reapers Due (I remember there being a patch before I started however). Did Monks and Mystics break saves again or should the game still be playable?
Depends on your tolerance for religion shenanigans.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

lurksion posted:

Depends on your tolerance for religion shenanigans.

Could you elaborate?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SkySteak posted:

No save-breaking. Pre-M&M saves should work fine.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So could you make a religion that is initially only available as a 'secret x' through an event, and make it give a trait if their religion is publicly revealed?
Because you could totally do a 'Actually is reptilian' religion where various influential figures are secretly replaced by reptilians via secret society inductions, and when revealed have their portraits change and such through traits.

Like, it starts as a guy getting an event making him a secret reptilian, and from there you infiltrate society.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 15, 2017

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Does it seem like Secret Religions need to be toned down a bit? Pretty much every time I go through a succession as my Russian Grand Prince-turned-Tsar playthrough, it seems like 50-70% of my vassals come out as Slavic Pagans. I usually mass revoke-revolt them into submission, but the dang society survives and it happens again and again.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I haven't messed with probability enough for a while so its my math gut speaking but I think it shakes out to logarithmic growth approaching "everybody is a secret religioner." As long as you have an initiating force of so many courtiers as secret, the probability takes care of the rest as they invite anybody and everybody until there's a hundred people asking everybody every time they get the points so even though the stated probability sounds low, the mass grows and grows and grows.

It probably needs some tweaking strengthening player conversions and weakening courtier conversions because the secret religion revolution strategy is really dumb where you use your cult power to convert random nobodies who have the AI obsession with using their conversion on everybody they can.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Playing this having not tried some of the later DLCs and I just inherited my vassal's titles by assassinating him with dark plague magic? I recall there being "supernatural" events that could be explained as figments of your ruler's insanity, but this seems very literal.

This game has veered into fascinating territory.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I am just starting to gain some ground against the secret Hindu menace. I mercilessly revoke the titles of any and all heathens and burn all those with ties to secret cults. It used to be that about 30% of my vassals were openly Hindu and true believers but now they are dead or landless and their kids are being educated by good and decent Zoroastrians.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

So with M&M, can I make a pagan Irish empire? What would be the steps for doing so?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

zedprime posted:

I haven't messed with probability enough for a while so its my math gut speaking but I think it shakes out to logarithmic growth approaching "everybody is a secret religioner." As long as you have an initiating force of so many courtiers as secret, the probability takes care of the rest as they invite anybody and everybody until there's a hundred people asking everybody every time they get the points so even though the stated probability sounds low, the mass grows and grows and grows.

It probably needs some tweaking strengthening player conversions and weakening courtier conversions because the secret religion revolution strategy is really dumb where you use your cult power to convert random nobodies who have the AI obsession with using their conversion on everybody they can.

This seems like a common problem with CKII. I recall Way of Life had similar problems, with seduction-focus AIs going crazy on seduction without sufficient mechanics to hold them in check. And of course we can't forget the "Greek characters spent every day deciding whether or not to castrate people" performance fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
I'm dealing with secret Catholics in my orthodox Ireland. It's stupid. I try my hardest to convert people and even then my ruler keeps himself a secret Catholic too. When he dies every heir is in the Catholic society of Jesus and I leave it to keep on with orthodoxy. It's seemingly impossible to actually fully convert people. And what's more dumb is I was able to get orthodoxy out through a secret society, so it's like all these people converted only to want to reconvert?

• Locked thread