Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I watched the first few episodes of Over The Garden Wall tonight.

I was getting unnerved as gently caress but then the schoolhouse episode was pretty sweet :kiddo:

Oh yeah, checking again re: podcast recommendations:

Hedrigall posted:

I really enjoyed that Laser Time episode about the Disney Afternoon and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for podcasts (or YouTube channels I guess) that specifically focus on Disney media - movies and tv that is, not so much the parks.

Looking for stuff to listen to at work :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hedrigall posted:

I watched the first few episodes of Over The Garden Wall tonight.

I was getting unnerved as gently caress but then the schoolhouse episode was pretty sweet :kiddo:

Just be aware that the rest of the series is even moreso a mix of unnerving and sweet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My boyfriend showed me Over the Garden Wall in December last year, and I completely fell in love with it. We ended up watching the whole thing in a evening (and watching it in the dark definitely helped the atmosphere). I spent the first couple of episodes saying 'what the gently caress is this?' almost over and over, but eventually got used to it. It's so dark, and yet not. The off-kilter 19th century feel to it all works majorly as a theme and stylistic choice, and I love all the music. :allears:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Does the schoolteacher's alphabet song exist in full? Because I be needin' that

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hedrigall posted:

Does the schoolteacher's alphabet song exist in full? Because I be needin' that

Tada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwUoMN3pK_s

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

This is my heart song

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Sung by Janet Klein! She also plays a mean banjolele

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haWYh1ZhPxI

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Over The Garden Wall is so loving good.

And if Laila shuts down I'm gonna cry until my body completely dehydrates.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Help, helllp, my credit card info is magically typing itself onto the internet and i can't stop it

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Oh, Heddy! Over the Garden Wall is so good and if I'd known you hadn't seen it I'd have been urging you to watch it all along. It's not common I hit an "instant classic" vibe with anything, but that series struck it like a bell. (Or a train whistle.)

Auntie Whispers is one of my favorite things. Tim Curry nails that poo poo.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I couldn't ever get into Over the Garden Wall, but I'm very glad to see Ernest & Celestine getting some extra love in this thread again. :allears:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

...I haven't watched Over the Garden Wall or Ernest and Celestine...

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

over the garden wall is incredibly good. i haven't seen ernest and celestine yet

it's ok, my secret animation shame is i have zero interest in watching zootopia, or earnestly most disney movies today

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

JesseHechtCREATIVE posted:

I recently watched some reviews of a movie called Starchaser, and aside from the obvious Star Wars parallels, it looks pretty harmless and just okay. Anyone else have any opinions on this movie?

21 Muns posted:

Isn't that thing infamous for having a sexualized female version of C3PO who the "hero" molests in an extended sequence?

Late as hell on this one. It's not the hero that does that, it's the Han Solo type guy (he reprograms her to love him instead of wanting to kill him basically). It's as hosed up as it sounds, but dude isn't supposed to be heroic to begin with so ...

Anyway, I kind of love this movie. I'm a fan of good/bad Star Wars ripoffs in general, and this movie is both a hilariously stupid ripoff but also having some pretty genuinely entertainingly parts. If it sounds like something you'd like, absolutely give it a watch.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shadow Hog posted:

Oh my god you suuuuuck

Here watch this quick, it's the first episode and it's only 11 minutes long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wc1-q1CX_E

The_Doctor posted:

The off-kilter 19th century feel to it all works majorly as a theme and stylistic choice, and I love all the music. :allears:

There's youtube videos that go into all the different architectural styles and fashions from different eras shown throughout the show. Also there's a ton of influences and references including this pre-Oswald Walt Disney animation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzn4JDIw2dk

For comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6INxkWhcpnA

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 11, 2017

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
All of you need to watch Over the Garden Wall. And YOU.

Drifter posted:

I couldn't ever get into Over the Garden Wall, but I'm very glad to see Ernest & Celestine getting some extra love in this thread again. :allears:

I've got my eye on you...

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Das Boo posted:

All of you need to watch Over the Garden Wall. And YOU.

Watching it has become a Thanksgiving ritual with my family.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pretty sure there's a full version of it on YouTube with all the eps.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

It's also on Hulu in the US, so watch it there if you can

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Over the Garden Wall is a fantastic series and I definitely recommend it. It feels like watching an animated version of a Grimm fairy tale in tone, while retaining a distinctly turn-of-the-century American flavor to it all (Especially in the wonderful music). It's one of those shows that I started watching intending to only sit through the first few episodes, and then stayed up until 3 in the morning to finish it, it's that good.

Interestingly enough, there's actually an art book coming out later this year that's currently available for pre-order if any of you guys are interested.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Shadow Hog posted:

That just means you have some excellent experiences ahead of you. Both of those works are fantastic. And yeah it was said but it's worth saying again and again until you actually watch them.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Gonna watch Ernest and Celestine when I get home. I think its on Netflix.

I could use something cute and fuzzy after reading the political threads this week. Jeez

Also it looks like the dub has Forest Whitaker in it so that's a big plus for me.

Edit: Oh my god, the trailer is adorable!

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 11, 2017

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Interestingly enough, there's actually an art book coming out later this year that's currently available for pre-order if any of you guys are interested.

Hey, hey, hey! I'm just getting started on an art book collection and this'll be a welcomed addition.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shadow Hog posted:

saaaame

I'll remedy at some point. It's not like they're going anywhere.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Das Boo posted:

Hey, hey, hey! I'm just getting started on an art book collection and this'll be a welcomed addition.

I need more art books too :3:

Got the Venture Bros one coming this year :toot:

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Ernest & Celestine is awesome!

Just too cute. Beautiful animation and I loved the little mouse city. The whole movie is just adorable.

The art stuff is just too good as well. Them painting the car to how they used the canvas painting to show the transition of the seasons. Really clever stuff.

Highly recommended if you haven't seen it yet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Oooh, might have to get the special hardcover edition for the bf for Xmas.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm glad Ernest is happy now :unsmith:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
If you're a Laser Time Patron (sorry to plug LT again, but another thing just came out) I participated in a commentary of the two-parter Darkwing Duck pilot. I say one thing in it that is so dumb and wrong and embarrassing, but it's good otherwise.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Cartoon Brew has reported official word out of Laika is everything is as normal. Hopefully they're not having trouble with creditors or something.

Travis Knight seems like he'd be awful to work with. He's one of those people who likes to work himself to the bone because he has the money to just walk away and retire whenever he wants. Those kinds of people are very difficult to deal with. Miyazaki is a bit similar, since he also has inherited wealth. The lead animator on his recent CG short film ended up in the hospital during production.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hedrigall posted:

Oh yeah, checking again re: podcast recommendations:

Talkin Toons with Rob Paulsen has done episodes with a lot of Disney workhorses. Ones with April Winchell (Clarabelle Cow, Miss Finnster from Recess, Peg from Goof Troop) are especially fun because she's absolutely filthy and does a lot of internet stuff like running Regretsy back when it was a thing, Bill Farmer (Goofy) and Jason Marsden (Max) are fun too because they all worked together on Goof Troop.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Checking Netflix - Ernest & Celestine only has 2/5 stars? That's... surprising, actually.

Probably not watching it tonight, cuz it's midnight, but it's going on The List.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Late as hell on this one. It's not the hero that does that, it's the Han Solo type guy (he reprograms her to love him instead of wanting to kill him basically). It's as hosed up as it sounds, but dude isn't supposed to be heroic to begin with so ...

Anyway, I kind of love this movie. I'm a fan of good/bad Star Wars ripoffs in general, and this movie is both a hilariously stupid ripoff but also having some pretty genuinely entertainingly parts. If it sounds like something you'd like, absolutely give it a watch.

This, um, really doesn't sound better.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

21 Muns posted:

This, um, really doesn't sound better.

He turns her into a sex slave by reprogramming her butt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swDnBLvk8u4

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Hedrigall posted:

Watch zootopia again tonight, got it

Well need to get your Zootopia fix but don't wanna burn out on the film proper? How about you check out Zistopia, set in a 70s-era setting, a fancomic based on the original, darker premise (with shock collars and Nick starting up a speakeasy called Wilde Times). Easily the best fan comic out there currently in terms of writing (the doodle-ey art style takes some getting used to but it is fantastic and has reams of volume right now)

Here's a sample, written by nicolaswildes and done by guest artist metalforceone.

The adventure starts here!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm not opposed to tumblr fan comics but those people need to get an inker.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Checking Netflix - Ernest & Celestine only has 2/5 stars? That's... surprising, actually.

Probably not watching it tonight, cuz it's midnight, but it's going on The List.

Stars are not the average rating, stars are how much Netflix thinks you will like it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, so when Boss Baby inevitably shows up there, and it says five stars, that's Netflix's assessment of you as a person.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

I'm not opposed to tumblr fan comics but those people need to get an inker.

Give this one a try then: Judy Is Dead, taking place 20 years after the film. Nick Wilde is now Chief of the ZPD, and a young July Hopps (knowing little to nothing about what happened to her aunt Judy) joins up as the second bunny cop in Zootopia's history.

Here's a snippet:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Yeah, the number of fans who reduce the relatively complex character of Judy into a caricature or a plot point is... discouraging.