Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Xelkelvos posted:

How would they differentiate him from Ollie

Presumably less vodka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Xelkelvos posted:

How would they differentiate him from Ollie

Well he wouldn't use a bow and arrow for one thing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Of course Mon-El gets played by his mother, but I didn't see a Daxamite invasion coming.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

This is going to be the easiest alien invasion to defeat in the history of alien invasions

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Yeah, it really doesn't seem like a credible threat. That being said, I think the last few episodes are going to be really cool, and I like the idea of a surprise alien invasion. The Daxamites will probably be able to drum up some support among the persecuted alien population on Earth too, so that could be interesting.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FELD1 posted:

Yeah, it really doesn't seem like a credible threat. That being said, I think the last few episodes are going to be really cool, and I like the idea of a surprise alien invasion. The Daxamites will probably be able to drum up some support among the persecuted alien population on Earth too, so that could be interesting.

At the very least, the Daxamites have their spaceships for their initial assault.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Even with their spaceships, lol weakness to lead.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Assume it will end with mon el using phantom zone projector to collect all the daximite and that's how he gets trapped

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

Assume it will end with mon el using phantom zone projector to collect all the daximite and that's how he gets trapped

And how Zod gets out.

I really liked when Mon-El said hold up, lemme go get something, and it was in fact a gun.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

howe_sam posted:

I really liked when Mon-El said hold up, lemme go get something, and it was in fact a gun.

That part was pretty great. And did they really compare the struggle of refugee aliens to the Black Lives Matter movement? and use Mehcad Brooks as a focal figure as well?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

And how Zod gets out.

:same: I was like "Oh, is he getting his super suit? Is he finally gonna become Valiant?" No, he just grabbed a loving gun. Spot on :allears:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drat Jimmy, what the f. You come to some hard truths with what you're actually doing on them streets (just beating people up) and your first instinct is... to go jam up some weed dealer? They got this black man all mixed up in his head.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I keep hoping Jimmy's going to realize "Supergirl and the others get the credit because they're iconic. I don't need armor, I need a uniform" and paint the suit in proper Guardian colors.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
They'll pull out the blue and gold Guardian suit for the crossover next year, and then we'll never see it again, like Nate's Star Spangled Idiot Citizen Steel armor.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Don't worry Lena, it was a telemarketer, so it was totally okay for me to answer your phone.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Argue posted:

Don't worry Lena, it was a telemarketer, so it was totally okay for me to answer your phone.

That's what Lena gets for not having TouchID or even a password on her phone.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

You'd think, with her mother and brother and all, she'd have a lot more security on herself and her possessions

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Argue posted:

Also don't check your call log plz.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

Also don't check your call log plz.

She deleted Kara's number from Lena's phone so all she'd see in her log is random number. that was my favorite little act of dickery.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

howe_sam posted:

She deleted Kara's number from Lena's phone so all she'd see in her log is random number. that was my favorite little act of dickery.

I thought she was deleting the one call from the history.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Either way works really!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

howe_sam posted:

I don't think you need a password to answer a call.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Has anyone seen the titles for the last two episodes of the season? "Resist", and "Nevertheless, She Persisted". Is Trump a Daxamite infiltrator?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Easiest invasion ever" doesn't fly with me because we do have bullet proof armor. Presumably the Daxamites still have a massive technological edge on the weaponry and armor and the ships are a big plus. Plus, it's not like your standard occupying army is bulletproof.

"Let me get something" was great, though, because I totally though "he's getting some kind of Daxamite weapon that can kill his mom" and then it was "oh, yeha. A gun."

Lena's got some serious trust and judgment issues. I feel like secretly experimenting with advanced technology given to you by an alien that leads to an alien invasion should probably violate some law.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

"Easiest invasion ever" doesn't fly with me because we do have bullet proof armor. Presumably the Daxamites still have a massive technological edge on the weaponry and armor and the ships are a big plus. Plus, it's not like your standard occupying army is bulletproof.

There are still a couple thousand at most with like 50 ships. Maybe even less. Numbers > *

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh sure, they're not going to take over the world, just National City. And it will be resolved in two episodes thanks to 1 Kryptonians, 1 Daxamite, 1 Martian, and a handful of humans. And its all the plan of a crazy lady who killed her husband on a whim because he didn't kill their son's girlfriend.

I just don't think "being killed by a bullet" is really that big a deal since most people who aren't Kryptonians are killed by a bullet. They're still scary in the immediate picture because of scary alien tech.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Klungar posted:

Has anyone seen the titles for the last two episodes of the season? "Resist", and "Nevertheless, She Persisted". Is Trump a Daxamite infiltrator?

I love how blatantly the entire CWverse has been tweaking Trump/Republicans/the alt-right this year. Mitch McConnell has given quotable history an absolute golden gift by accidentally coining the phrase "Nevertheless, She Persisted" and I hope it keeps showing up in pop culture just to rub it in his nose for all time :allears:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Oh sure, they're not going to take over the world, just National City. And it will be resolved in two episodes thanks to 1 Kryptonians, 1 Daxamite, 1 Martian, and a handful of humans.

2 Kryptonians and one Queen of All Media. :getin:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

nine-gear crow posted:

Mitch McConnell has given quotable history an absolute golden gift by accidentally coining the phrase "Nevertheless, She Persisted" and I hope it keeps showing up in pop culture just to rub it in his nose for all time :allears:

"She persisted" and "nasty woman" are both some quality catchphrases.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
That stargate ripoff portal made me laugh, for half a second I expected the whoosh to happen.

STAC Goat posted:

I just don't think "being killed by a bullet" is really that big a deal since most people who aren't Kryptonians are killed by a bullet. They're still scary in the immediate picture because of scary alien tech.

It kind of is, especially if you are trying to occupy place in that one country that crazily overspends on military toys meant to kill people who can be killed by bullets.

What I am saying is, don't have the same weakness humans have, because humans spend insane amount of money and effort towards getting really good at killing humans :v:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah I mean, I get the comedy factor and everything, but if your big weakness can be solved by a hundred bucks of basic human-tech body armor then it's kind of a soft weakness all told. The Kryptonian criminals seemed pretty easily neutralized with all the kryptonite lying around in the DEO too, until they remembered they're super-advanced aliens and made K-proof stillsuits.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

McSpanky posted:

Yeah I mean, I get the comedy factor and everything, but if your big weakness can be solved by a hundred bucks of basic human-tech body armor then it's kind of a soft weakness all told. The Kryptonian criminals seemed pretty easily neutralized with all the kryptonite lying around in the DEO too, until they remembered they're super-advanced aliens and made K-proof stillsuits.

Kevlar isn't a magical all bullet stopping material. It won't stop anything more powerful than a handgun.

:goonsay:

I bet Winn could make a lead suit neutralizer neutralizer. Make Lead Super Effective Again!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interceptor_body_armor#Ballistic_plates

Not to get into a big tactical realism derail, just saying. A spacefaring empire with materials science so advanced they literally know twice as many elements as we do can probably block metal slugs if they put their minds to it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm genuinely sorry for starting this, but yeah, I was just trying to say that I assume if you've developed intergalactic space travel technology you can probably figure out body armor if you really want to.

Like, its not like the Daxamites stupidly came to a planet that was 70% lead and every home had a running supply of it in multiple rooms in the house and it regularly comes down from the skies. I mean, we have a lot of bullets but they don't literally rain on us and form giant oceans of them.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

STAC Goat posted:

Like, its not like the Daxamites stupidly came to a planet that was 70% lead and every home had a running supply of it in multiple rooms in the house

People in Flint, Michigan (and actually lots of other places in the US) do have a running supply of it in multiple rooms of the house! :v:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
:golfclap:

(...:smith:)

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I'd love for Kara to defeat the Daximites by just offering them Flint water. It's not like the CW has been apolitical this year.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Burning_Monk posted:

I'd love for Kara to defeat the Daximites by just offering them Flint water. It's not like the CW has been apolitical this year.

If this happens, I am taking back everything bad I've said about the Daxamite invasion

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
How did the portal bring all the Daxamite ships to National City anyway? I mean they were all spread out throughout the galaxy, right? So did they all get individual portals that led them ALL back to Earth or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Clearly they all met up at a rendezvous spot and somewhere across the galaxy Margot Kidder was tricking some alien with major personal issues into building a connecting Stargate.

I mean, do they have to spell everything out?

I do enjoy that the show has basically presented Daxamites as a really terrible society that have spent decades roaming around the stars looking for a planet to conquer instead of just finding a new planet to populate and build a new home. As usual, Kara was right all along.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 15, 2017