Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Nice! I'm always bummed when I see that kind of setup because I haven't been into sludge/doom for a while now. The gear is so fun and satisfying to slam into my Orange by way of downtuned SG but that's just not my thing right now. Because I'm lame and bad.

You just need a new and exciting take on it. Like my 808 and B3 organ doom and sludge guitar "band." We are fresh and exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

My stable suffers from a complete lack of G&L guitars. I played a G&L Strat-style many years ago. I don't know the model, but it may be the nicest sounding "Strat" I've ever played. One of the best-looking, too.

Man, that bass is gorgeous. I love the color, and the bridge looks amazing. I need new pickups for my Spector Legend 5. I hate the bridge pickup (it has some set of EMGs in it and it sounds thin and, it kinda honks or something. The neck pickup is ok.) What should I put in there? I'd like to be able to "cover all the bases" because it's my only nice bass guitar. It's one of those bigger bridge pickups. A friend tells me it's a single-coil with a dummy coil in there for hum-bucking.

Very nice bass, CF. I'm not a fan of roundwounds myself, but I tend to prefer really bright bass sounds (and that's when I'm not doing the Doug Pinnick/Billy Sheehan dual-sound "wasps-in-a-paper-bag" thing.)

G&L is so cool to me I want all of them. Marissa Paternoster's Strat is my favs by far. <3

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You just need a new and exciting take on it. Like my 808 and B3 organ doom and sludge guitar "band." We are fresh and exciting.

Tell me you listen to Death Organ. Because they do cool poo poo like that, albeit more organ-focused.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

G&L has also been a brand I appreciate but haven't had the chance to play myself. I agree that a G&L Strat would be killer. I considered one of the cheaper ones before I went with my CV60s. Could've been nice.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

That's hosed up and sounds like the best thing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dr. Faustus posted:

My stable suffers from a complete lack of G&L guitars. I played a G&L Strat-style many years ago. I don't know the model, but it may be the nicest sounding "Strat" I've ever played. One of the best-looking, too.

They pretty much have three strat sort of things, the Legacy (very standard, I have a Tribute series one, my first electric guitar! from the South Korean factory days. I have Sinners in it.), the S-500 (still pretty standard but with ceramic pickups with funky pole pieces instead of alnico. Somehow I think it usually comes with a little toggle to pair the neck and bridge pickups when it's on?) and the Comanche (3 z-shape split-coil single coils, same sort of ceramic/funky pole piece deal as the S-500 I believe). I think they all use the PTB thing that is volume/bass rolloff/treble rolloff, and they're pretty much all made with care.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Dr. Faustus posted:

Man, that bass is gorgeous.

I hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure it's the least-pretty bass in my stable (except for my upright, which is pretty bland). It's hard to compete with spalted and burled tops when it comes to looks.

In terms of replacing bass pickups, you really can't go wrong with Nordstrand. Both of my other basses are loaded with Nords (Big Splits and a MM) and they're great.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
No it's the prettiest bass you have.

Edit: I'm mostly joking, personally I've never liked "modern" looking basses but to each their own. I hope you make pretty music out of all of them.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Dr. Faustus posted:

I played a G&L Strat-style many years ago. I don't know the model
Legacy if it was a standard Strat, S-500 if it had moderny hotter pickups and an extra switch or two, or Comanche if it had weird-rear end Z-coils. I've had a Legacy and a Comanche and they were both really finely built and great feeling, but they were also both very heavy for Strat style guitars.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

The Science Goy posted:

I hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure it's the least-pretty bass in my stable (except for my upright, which is pretty bland). It's hard to compete with spalted and burled tops when it comes to looks.

In terms of replacing bass pickups, you really can't go wrong with Nordstrand. Both of my other basses are loaded with Nords (Big Splits and a MM) and they're great.

Hey, what's the deal with the bass on the right?

I see a lot of bases like that nowadays where the top horn extends way out and merges with the neck the whole way across. Is that just an aesthetic thing or is it supposed to help with resonance or what?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Haha I though thought the same thing - your new bass is the prettiest. I am not that old school with guitar and bass design but I really don't like the lopsided electric bass look that so many brands and builders seem to be adopting. Just my preference though. A G&L guitar and/or bass or four are on my long term instrument wish list. A friend has one and it plays like butter and sounds really good.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

GreatGreen posted:

Hey, what's the deal with the bass on the right?

I see a lot of bases like that nowadays where the top horn extends way out and merges with the neck the whole way across. Is that just an aesthetic thing or is it supposed to help with resonance or what?

I think it's supposed to add rigidity to the neck.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

How does that affect the truss rod? Do that have to have a shorter rod in it to avoid bending the neck where it is connected to the body?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
It's called a single cut, instead of a more traditional double cut where the upper bout has more material removed by the fretboard. The neck joins with the body in the same manner as a double cut bass - there's just no gap between the neck and the upper bout. The trussrod is the same as any other bass.

It balances and plays just like any other bass - maybe even better balanced, since the strap on the upper bout is located close to the neck, there is absolutely no neck dive. It's super comfortable to play standing, or sitting on the thigh.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
gently caress you Lavacables!

gently caress you hard!

I ordered a 10 stage looper for my studio pedal board. If I was using this poo poo live, I wouldn't care, but I do have a BK Butler Tube Drive, a Boss CE-1 and a Deluxe Electric Mistress and they all colour the sound a fair bit (The Butler drive is pretty deadly to your top end and the CE1 Preamp in particular are pretty bad. I love the pedals, but I do want them "OFF") so for recording purposes, I'd prefer things to be as clean as possible. There's another reason why a looper is useful for my setup, but eh...later. Once I get it up and running.

Because of the looper and the way I'm arranging my pedals, I needed longer patch cables than standard. I also needed pancake jacks on one end and a straight (no pancake, no bend) jack on the other. I was super specific about this when I made the order and the guy I was talking to confirmed that's what I would be getting when I made the order.

Long story short? NOPE. Bastards sent me about 20 cables of Pancake -> Pancake jacks. IT DON'T WORK NOW DOES IT?

Now I need to send them back to America from Australia and wait around again for them to send them back NOT hosed up this time and gaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh. loving pain in the rear end. Especially considering I was so specific when I ordered the cables in the first place.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Hmm wonder how you'll like them versus the vintage 30s.

I don't think I'll be able to a/b the two speakers in person any time soon, but I did check out a bunch of comparison videos on youtube. I don't mind the more "scooped" sound of the GT12Ts. I've also read that they are more suited to use in live performance, which is pretty much what I bought the cab for.

I finally got to use it at band practice yesterday and my guitar really cuts through everything now. :)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Already quoted this once but maaan your initial post made me miss dooooom more than I expected and I'm itching to drop a guitar down to A or B and play around for a while now. It's been a while. I've been fully into shreddy fusion stuff lately but maybe it's time to go full caveman.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I picked up this thing.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:

Killbot posted:

I picked up this thing.

How is it?

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.

Mr Pepper posted:

How is it?

I'm purely a bedroom player, and the neighbors get angry with any amp volume over 3, so take this with some grains of salt.

Running it with Dan into Mick (;-*) I can get sounds similar to my Zendrive, if you're into that sort of thing.

The drive by itself is pretty good. There's some dirt to it that makes it more interesting. I haven't had any experience with boosts before so that part is totally new to me.

I mainly bought it because I love the show, and I liked the sounds they made with it in the demo, so when the preorder was announced I jumped on it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Already quoted this once but maaan your initial post made me miss dooooom more than I expected and I'm itching to drop a guitar down to A or B and play around for a while now. It's been a while. I've been fully into shreddy fusion stuff lately but maybe it's time to go full caveman.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

A quick and dirty thing to think about is just dropping your E down to an A and tuning to AADGBe a la Melvins in Dog Island.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gpvdlY7Kyw

Super easy to get in and out of and sounds nice and heavy.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

butros posted:

A quick and dirty thing to think about is just dropping your E down to an A and tuning to AADGBe a la Melvins in Dog Island.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gpvdlY7Kyw

Super easy to get in and out of and sounds nice and heavy.

God, I love that two-drummer era. Wish I'd been able to see that a few more times.

Faustus, I think you may have convinced me. I was enough into an ART Pro Studio 215 to be outbid on one yesterday, because I liked the idea of having preamp, compressor, and EQ in a single unit, but if that impedance control facilitates my descent into microphone insanity, I'm all about it. It's not like there aren't a ton of the Great Compressor units to be had for cheap, anyway.

Plus, your sample and everything I'm reading about mid/side is giving me funny pants-feelings.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Sterling St. Vincent signature guitar for $489 shipped. Someone please convince me not to impulse buy it.

Edit: It's gone now, thankfully. I hope one of you nabbed it.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 13, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Tatumje posted:

Sterling St. Vincent signature guitar for $489 shipped. Someone please convince me not to impulse buy it.

Ha yea no can do bro. That thing rules.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

After The War posted:

Faustus, I think you may have convinced me. I was enough into an ART Pro Studio 215 to be outbid on one yesterday, because I liked the idea of having preamp, compressor, and EQ in a single unit, but if that impedance control facilitates my descent into microphone insanity, I'm all about it. It's not like there aren't a ton of the Great Compressor units to be had for cheap, anyway.

Plus, your sample and everything I'm reading about mid/side is giving me funny pants-feelings.
I just finished the clean part of the "before modding" amp demo, so here's a new clip for you to consider. Tomorrow I crank up the preamp and throw the OCD in front of it for the "dirty" demo.

On a friend's recommendation I avoided the use of any EQ (except what's on the amp), I performed no file normalization. The clean part in the beginning is only the amp, the guitar, the two mics and pre-amp as previously shown, with a master limiter on the master bus in Reaper. No effects or plugins. I left in some string noise so you can hear the dynamics and brightness of the amp with those fresh strings on the guitar.

I want to comment on the annoying growly/splatty way the amp responds to heavy-handed clean playing. I don't like it at all. It sounds like a lack of headroom, or some kind of clipping in the signal chain, or a speaker hitting excursion or something like that. I've ruled out any clipping, I've ruled out everything outside the amp itself, but I never thought to disengage the "fat" switch, so maybe that's the cause. Tomorrow when I can get loud again I'll turn the fat circuit off and see what kind of difference it makes to the low transients, if any. Otherwise, we'll hear what the BillM Audio mods do to the low-end when the amp is modded.

For the clean Van Halen section of the recording, there's a tc electronic Flashback X4 delay in front of the amp with a modulation delay. I think it was the "Space" setting but it may have been "2290 W/MOD." I saved the preset and then played with the knobs afterwards so I can't remember exactly what I stored in the preset's memory. Considering that's straight into the input of the amp I'm pretty blown away with the delay. I also double-tracked it, because that's what Eddie said he did in the studio (he claims he used a parts Strat and doubled it for the chorus-y sound in an interview about the record.) That section also got a reverb on it in Reaper to fill it out a little, but I did not use any other compression or normalization. The double-tracking really brought the tapping part out.

I was previously considering using compression after the mic pre-amp since the clean channel has so much dynamic range, but decided to leave that alone. I am convinced that all you are hearing is what the mics are sending through the pre-amp to Reaper.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

I've been listening to Yob pretty much all day while the rain and thunder has been coming down. Doom mood is in full effect.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just re-recorded the same stuff with the "fat" circuit disengaged. The same "splatty" sound is still there. It's not even diminished or attenuated, it's apparently just the way the stock amp sounds. Gonna move on (Hey!) to the distorted stuff so I can mod this thing and see what changes.

Who knows, maybe it's the Jensen speaker. I can change that, too.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

Just re-recorded the same stuff with the "fat" circuit disengaged. The same "splatty" sound is still there. It's not even diminished or attenuated, it's apparently just the way the stock amp sounds. Gonna move on (Hey!) to the distorted stuff so I can mod this thing and see what changes.

Who knows, maybe it's the Jensen speaker. I can change that, too.

I remember Wampler saying he HAD to replace the stock speaker and that it made the biggest overall difference in the Blues Jr.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I remember Wampler saying he HAD to replace the stock speaker and that it made the biggest overall difference in the Blues Jr.
LOL "NOW" you tell me!

Nah man, this is good to know. I have most of the dirty demo recorded, so the mods can begin very soon. There are so many speakers for this amp, I'm leaning towards the Celestion Heritage G12H. Mods first, though.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Always meant to pick one up, found it very cheap on eBay. I think it's silly that the Push 2 has no crossfader so this thing will be the 'mixer' in my Live performances, one day.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yeah, I broke down and bought this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G12H-HER558

Bill Machrone wrote an exhaustive report on replacement speakers for the Blues Jr., and here are his thoughts on the Celestion options:

quote:

Celestion Greenback
The Greenback (G12M) has always been a good choice for the Blues Junior. It’s a bit quieter than some of the newer designs, but the classic, warm British tone is there in spades. This is the speaker that defined “smoky,” that coloration of midrange tones sought after by blues and blues rock soloists. A classic.

Celestion Vintage 30
The V30 was one of the tone pillars of the classic rock era: huge, powerful mids and early breakup. Four of these in a half stack and you were on your way to rock god status. But they were often tempered in half stacks by a pair of Greenbacks to fill out the bottom end. The V30 has less bass and less treble than the stock Special Design speaker. Fender chose the V30 for the Texas Red special edition of the Blues Junior and you can hear the difference right away. It’s a standout for lead guitar and for rhythm guitar that stays out of the way of the bass player. If you like thumpy bass or need clean headroom, look elsewhere. Some players say they get more clean headroom with the V30, but I think that’s because the mids are prominent and that’s the most sensitive area of our hearing, so it sounds louder.

Celestion G12H Heritage
The G12H Heritage looks superficially like the G12M Greenback, but it’s a much different speaker. And the G12H Heritage is not the same speaker as the G12H. The Heritage is made in England and the non-Heritage is made in China. Anyone who has heard both will tell you that the Chinese-built G12H is a very nice speaker, but the Heritage is noticeably better. The G12H Heritage bass response goes down to 55Hz, and it can keep up with the Eminence Swamp Thang for rich, deep lows. The highs are clear and bell-like, and can be surprisingly bright if you crank the treble. The overall frequency response is flatter than the G12M Greenback, which has that famous midrange hump. With the G12H, the midrange response is up to you. With the mids dialed back, you get a clear, Fendery scooped tone that supports clean playing beautifully. The speaker is very responsive to mids, though, and if you crank them, you’ll get plenty, maybe more than you bargained for. On Blues Juniors and other Hot Rod series amps, the TwinStack mod is essential. This is an expensive speaker, but it covers the range of American and British tones perfectly.

I hope I made the right choice. I just upped the cost of this amp by $200. lol

God help me if I slip and destroy something during the modding process. Anyway, here's how the amp sounds, stock (if I recorded it correctly, which I don't know for certain). Caveats: This is the stock amp and I expect it to be harsh like a Fender with the gain up. I can't wait to see how it comes out after modding.

Here's the stock pic:

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 16, 2017

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
Since I was only borrowing the 6505 from the previous picture of my cabinet, I had to actually go buy a head of my own. I found this used for a pretty reasonable price:

I think I'm done buying gear for a while. Well, maybe after I buy a tube screamer...

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Gorewar posted:

Since I was only borrowing the 6505 from the previous picture of my cabinet, I had to actually go buy a head of my own. I found this used for a pretty reasonable price:

I think I'm done buying gear for a while. Well, maybe after I buy a tube screamer...

Definitely get the tube screamer. Rectos have a lot of gain but not a lot of bite or definition on their own.

The tube screamer will fix that in a hurry.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

My $200 gibson lp studio needed a marshall. A proper marshall with tubes. But for not much money.

Found a guy selling a DSL5C, in good condition, with the footswitch for $250:

Very pleased with this budget combo. Good for my apartment situation, have it set to 1 watt.

Gonna add a reverb pedal to this bitch.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
I've got the rig fully assembled now!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Gorewar posted:

I've got the rig fully assembled now!

I wanna play that rig. When can I come over? (I have a huge box of earplugs from work, so it's ok.)

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I bought a guitar, a Classic Player '50s Strat, because it has an amazing neck and hardware and I found a used one at a great price.

However, I definitely don't like sunburst finishes, so then I also bought this today (already have a buyer for the original body):

And the whole reason I bought a second strat is because I played an old Strat Plus from the 90s lately and I absolutely adored the gold Lace Sensor pickups it had, so finally I also ordered these:

Hopefully I'll have it all put together by mid next week

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
loving $200 for one speaker. I hope it sounds like $200 worth of speaker!
Well, the amp surgery is about to get real:

I wish I could afford to buy that sunburst body off you. No can do, I'm way into this amp project.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 20, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

Yeah, I broke down and bought this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G12H-HER558

Bill Machrone wrote an exhaustive report on replacement speakers for the Blues Jr., and here are his thoughts on the Celestion options:

I hope I made the right choice. I just upped the cost of this amp by $200. lol

God help me if I slip and destroy something during the modding process. Anyway, here's how the amp sounds, stock (if I recorded it correctly, which I don't know for certain). Caveats: This is the stock amp and I expect it to be harsh like a Fender with the gain up. I can't wait to see how it comes out after modding.

Here's the stock pic:

I thought I told you about the Wampler thing a while ago sorry bud. :(

You have made the correct choice on speaker, I think. Can't wait to hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I thought I told you about the Wampler thing a while ago sorry bud. :(

You have made the correct choice on speaker, I think. Can't wait to hear it.
Dang It Bhabhi!
You did tell me about the Wampler thing and I read it and considered it and ... then other friends piled on and I caved.

The thing is, I watched this awhile ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNRk9mPJ_58

And I heard him say, "quite dramatically!" and I didn't hear dramatic anything. I do hope that I picked the right speaker and you do deserve the credit (along with a buddy of mine) for my decision to go crazy and buy the Celestion.

I'd never ignore you, DiB. Stand by for updates. At this point it's all work.

Edit: I watched the wrong video and I deserve to be chastised.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 20, 2017