Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The fire flower was basically just for extra hit purposes. If the designer had given the player a cape, the player could then turn around and use the cape spin to defeat all of the dry bones and bony beetles in addition to the extra air control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 13 - Really Elaborate Forks :siren:

We talk to our enemies, break bread with them, and break our friends' spirits. Casnorf guest commentates!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Like I said in my update, I'm not going to start making my updates or titles for updates standard any time soon.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yes more Cubivore please and thanks.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Spooky World is starting out nicely enough. Third level had some odd design decisions though and they kind of dragged the level down for me.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

FeyerbrandX posted:

Like I said in my update, I'm not going to start making my updates or titles for updates standard any time soon.

Fun fact. One can actually observe the double-Runic effect if you have both Celes and Gogo in the party in vanilla. You could also, with Rippler shenanigans, see it with three or more targets because Rippler.

So, for those keeping track at home.
--The developers did not check for things like, say, a divide-by-zero error if you use Mantra while confused.
--But, they did check if there are an arbitrary number of Runic effects out on the field and divide the MP appropriately...
--...but did not further develop this check, as if you use a single target only spell will all appear to receive the spell, but only one will get MP, and only the divided share of the MP...
--...but nevertheless, all Runic effects will be marked as used and become inactive as though they'd absorbed the spell.

FFVI's coding is a work of art.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

FPzero posted:

Spooky World is starting out nicely enough. Third level had some odd design decisions though and they kind of dragged the level down for me.

Eh, those were all... alright? Like those all hit the perfect level of absolutely lukewarm.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Certainly seemed to hit a better level of difficulty than many of the preceding levels.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i don't understand this half-burying question mark blocks in the ground thing

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I love that those were all fairly middling, inoffensive levels, if slightly uninteresting...and were ranked 36th, 84th, and 85th? It's kind of a funny spread, but I think I sort of understand it; the two lower-ranked levels were short and a little boring or had a couple of design issues, while the higher-ranked level was at least novel, and novelty seems to be a big sway for this judging system.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

FPzero posted:

Where is the pizza picture?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It might be this one. We recorded these episodes literally a month ago so I had to go digging.

Too much pizza, or just enough pizza?

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

I'll go with C) not enough pizza because I'm a fat gently caress.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

It's a good start.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Mayo does not belong on pizza. Or anything else, for that matter

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Mayo is acceptable on a BLT pizza.

Which, by the way, I am saying that BLT pizza is acceptable in the first place. I am endorsing shredded lettuce as being a tasty, welcome addition to pizza, and then you put mayonnaise on that pizza, and you cook the mayo with the pizza and then you eat that pizza. Hashtag endpizzashaming.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Mayo does not belong on pizza. Or anything else, for that matter

It could be (pretty viscous) white sauce, which is definitely something worth putting on pizza.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Mayo is acceptable on a BLT pizza.

Which, by the way, I am saying that BLT pizza is acceptable in the first place. I am endorsing shredded lettuce as being a tasty, welcome addition to pizza, and then you put mayonnaise on that pizza, and you cook the mayo with the pizza and then you eat that pizza. Hashtag endpizzashaming.

Lettuce is just crunchy water and it's time that we, as a society, finally acknowledge that. The only good green veggie on pizza is broccoli which pairs well with...

C-Euro posted:

It could be (pretty viscous) white sauce, which is definitely something worth putting on pizza.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Lettuce is just crunchy water and it's time that we, as a society, finally acknowledge that. The only good green veggie on pizza is broccoli which pairs well with...
The standard sorts of lettuce you might see in restaurants or at a supermarket (particularly iceberg lettuce) are essentially crunchy water, but there's a world of difference between that stuff and what's available if you grow your own or otherwise look farther afield. My latter-day hippie parents grow a lot of vegetables, and so whenever they serve salad with dinner you can find several different varieties of lettuce each with distinct tastes.

Also spinach is pretty good on pizza, since as a leafy green it mostly cooks down to concentrate the flavor.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The only white condiment that should go on pizza is ranch, and even then you're pushing it.

VLDC talk: those first two levels were kinda meh. The third one wasn't much better. Also, the first level's theme was way too restrained. Here's the original version for comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2ejlmLmi8c

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

lets hang out posted:

i don't understand this half-burying question mark blocks in the ground thing

This got buried in the pizza talk, but does anyone understand this logic?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I think it came up earlier and people figured it was just A Thing the level creators do to add variety.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That just makes me think question mark blocks are a naturally forming phenomena that you can just dig up in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

CPColin posted:

I think it came up earlier and people figured it was just A Thing the level creators do to add variety.

I do still contend that it could work when it's visually married to the level's theme in some way, but it usually isn't, which makes some people...rather unhappy.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

CPColin posted:

That was mentioned for the concrete blocks, which makes some amount of sense. Question mark blocks are just like...what? Those don't even match visually. At least the rocks, while not Mario style, have some logic.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's the same design trend. It's slowly dying out but there are still some people using it as decoration. I don't think it looks particularly good. Not even when it was a new fad.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 14 - Katana Barrel :siren:

Well, technically it still is a cracker barrel :v:

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Cooperate? Surrender the Forums you call "cooperate?"
Would killing Doom Gaze in the WoB break the encounter in the WoR, locking you out of Bahamut (which could give you something like Quick or Ultima)?

In all the seeds I've played, the randomizer seems to make Edgar's Tools breakable for random spells for some reason. I can't seem to find anything in the source code that would do that though. Not sure how useful they could be, since all they break for are low-level stuff like Fire, especially for cheap tools like Autocrossbows.

I've been playing the Ancient Cave version of the randomizer, and it's a thing.

You haven't lived until you've experienced an umbrella man one-shotting your party with Goner/Forsaken.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bydoless posted:

Would killing Doom Gaze in the WoB break the encounter in the WoR, locking you out of Bahamut (which could give you something like Quick or Ultima)?

We'll see soon, and which I mean I haven't done anything since we haven't recorded to the point where I get the airship back and begin playing an infinite loop of Survivor's Eye of the Tiger as I rise up to the challenge of my rival.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I'm back, I got distracted by messing around with FE Hacking.

Chapter 5 of FE Midori. I can talk a bit about some of the recent stuff in FE hacking if anyone's curious?

Pushwall
Jun 1, 2010

Bydoless posted:

In all the seeds I've played, the randomizer seems to make Edgar's Tools breakable for random spells for some reason.

I think this is to ensure that tools still have a purpose just in case nobody gets the Tools command.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Wow Mystic, your guys just don't want to gain the levels they need. 2 Magic on Lugh...

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

That's 2 STR. Lugh has 8 MAG. Stat screen order is:
pre:
HP        LCK
STR      DEF
SKL      MAG/RES
SPD      CON
He's still not getting as much MAG as I'd like but the situation isn't that dire.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Ohhh I forgot that Midori made Res into the attacking stat. Yeah, then Lugh's doing ok.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Mysticblade posted:

Chapter 5 of FE Midori. I can talk a bit about some of the recent stuff in FE hacking if anyone's curious?

I'd be interested in hearing about that.

Mysticblade posted:

Hi Nino.

I knew this time paradox was going to happen.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

My finals are done now so I can actually take the time to edit and post more episodes.

This level would've been fine, if not a little odd, had it not been for the secret exit. Maybe we should've noticed the clue to where it was the first time we beat the level but we were in the middle of a star run and there were so many other design oddities throughout the level why would the actual answer stick out more than anything else? It's not bad but when you're playing it for nearly 40 minutes (the video's been edited down somewhat, don't worry) trying everything to find the exit, it starts to grate. Unfortunate.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
I really liked the music in that level. Anyone know what it is?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Seems to me the main flaw in the secret exit was putting the keyhole big and visible in the corner like that, so it gave the impression that you had to do something in that part of the level to find the key. If you didn't know where the keyhole was I reckon you'd have found the exit much more easily as you looked through the level for any sign of where to go.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Yeah, the secret exits seem to work MUCH better when they're an entire alternate path and don't require finding a hidden key, then doubling back in an annoying way, or lugging a key along for most of the level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That level reminded me of some of the more difficult SMB3 stages for some reason. Maybe it's all the fish, podobos, and shell block mazes.

• Locked thread