Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Have you heard the stories of Miller's early experiences in New York?

If you haven't read Batman Year One it's worth bumping to the top of your list, because it's excellent in its own right and is an obvious companion piece to TDKR.

Wow, that explains a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Someone elsewhere told me that if I thought TDKR's world was a hopeless madhouse that I should also read "A Serious House on Serious Earth."

I've never heard of this story before. It's apparently well-received and is by Grant Morrison who is very famous and popular but I never knew it existed until now.

It sound very trippy.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah it's very good but it has basically nothing in common with DKR aside from it being a Batman story imo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

NikkolasKing posted:

Grant Morrison who is very famous and popular but I never knew it existed until now.
:getin:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Meh. I wasn't a big fan of Arkham. It seemed like Grant was more interested in "ideas" then "story-line" or "characterization". Your mileage with the book might vary.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I remember finding Arkham Asylum to be very difficult to follow, and I was pretty put off by how it was laid out.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I really love Arkham Asylum, it's moody and odd, even if some of the design choices, like Joker's text, is a little hard to follow. I highly recommend it, but then again I loving hate DKR and Arkham Asylum is pretty far from that one beyond "a dark Batman story."

Roth posted:

I remember finding Arkham Asylum to be very difficult to follow, and I was pretty put off by how it was laid out.

It can be difficult to penetrate, I will definitely grant that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

For some reason I've read every GMo Batman comic except for Arkham.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Arkham Asylum is heavily influenced by Alice in Wonderland, so it has a dream like quality as Batman moves from scene to scene. It's an interesting character study of Batman, his villains, and the asylum itself.

It's also where the Arkham Journals in the Arkham Asylum game is from.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

NikkolasKing posted:

Someone elsewhere told me that if I thought TDKR's world was a hopeless madhouse that I should also read "A Serious House on Serious Earth."

I've never heard of this story before. It's apparently well-received and is by Grant Morrison who is very famous and popular but I never knew it existed until now.

It sound very trippy.

It's pretty much the only Morrison I enjoyed, when it comes to Batman.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Everyone should buy the latest issue of Batman. It's a one shot with Swamp Thing, and it's one of my favorite single issues I've read in a while. I hope someone posts the page where they're in the Batmobile.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

This issue was so so good. I loved the ending most of all.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I love the ongoing thing King has with KITE MAN!

HELL YEAH!

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
The issue was... interesting.

I don't know what to make of an obvious analog of Alan Moore, the creator and "father" of Swamp Man, being literally shot in the head in the first page -- in a story that immediately follows a story that's a prologue to Doomsday Clock, where they're divisively bringing the Watchmen into the DC Universe. Is it a statement? And if so, what's it saying? You could read it as critical of DC's decision to murder Moore's legacy, or an acknowledgement of killing the past.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He has another analogue as the Avatar of the Parliament of Stories (or some such) in the last volume of Swamp Thing.
It'd be amazing if there's a montage of Doc Manhattan destruction and it cuts to the Story realm and he's screaming with his big beard of pages on fire.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

PoshAlligator posted:

The issue was... interesting.

I don't know what to make of an obvious analog of Alan Moore, the creator and "father" of Swamp Man, being literally shot in the head in the first page -- in a story that immediately follows a story that's a prologue to Doomsday Clock, where they're divisively bringing the Watchmen into the DC Universe. Is it a statement? And if so, what's it saying? You could read it as critical of DC's decision to murder Moore's legacy, or an acknowledgement of killing the past.

Are you saying they literally kill Alan Moore in this book? That's pretty overtly a statement of some kind if true.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X-O posted:

Are you saying they literally kill Alan Moore in this book? That's pretty overtly a statement of some kind if true.

It's Alec Holland's father, who lived in WeinWrightson Tower. And he does look a LOT like Moore. And he's killed for no other reason than being the father of a 'superhero'. There's something there, yeah.

edit: The 84th floor of WeinWrightson Tower, aka 1984, the year Moore started writing Swamp Thing.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 18, 2017

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Honestly it preoccupied me the whole way through the book. I kind of liked the story, thought it was maybe trying to be quirky in a way that came off a little stiff in places. But I couldn't stop thinking about that first page, especially after reading this back to back with Flash 22.

e: I'd post the page but I'm not at home at the minute, but look it up. I guess... I really don't know what the statement is.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's in the preview pages on Comixology.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was thinking that could just be a coincidence but then I noticed he's still using the nine panel framing you guys were talking about for the Watchmen crossover issues so maybe not. I have no idea what kind of message that's trying to send, if it's even trying at all.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's just a King/Gerards thing. Sheriff of Babylon is mostly grids, and Mister Miracle will be too.

edit: I mean, obviously the grid is an influence from Watchmen, but it's in their totally unrelated work.

ee: Omega Men even had quotations in the final panel of every issue.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 19, 2017

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Yeah Tom King loves the 9-panel grid. It's pretty much one of his style markers.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

"If you don't buy this magazine we'll kill Alan Moore."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's just a King/Gerards thing. Sheriff of Babylon is mostly grids, and Mister Miracle will be too.

edit: I mean, obviously the grid is an influence from Watchmen, but it's in their totally unrelated work.

ee: Omega Men even had quotations in the final panel of every issue.

Mister Miracle being mostly grids only works if it leads to big splashy layouts once Scott's doing stuff, because it's basically the panel equivalent of prison bars which... like, his whole thing is escaping and being free.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That is exactly what Tom King said they represent. We're probably going to get some wild page layouts eventually.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
His work on Grayson though let Janin go crazy with panel structures and layouts, so I think he probably does layout ideas that suit the strength of the artist he is working with.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I really enjoyed this last issue of Batman. Great filler issue. The Batmobile scene was hilarious.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Madkal posted:

His work on Grayson though let Janin go crazy with panel structures and layouts, so I think he probably does layout ideas that suit the strength of the artist he is working with.
This is true, but Grayson wasn't just his project alone. And they definitely snuck in some structured panel set-ups when the time called for it. It's just that action sequences don't really fit a 9-grid layout well.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

purple death ray posted:

It's Alec Holland's father, who lived in WeinWrightson Tower. And he does look a LOT like Moore. And he's killed for no other reason than being the father of a 'superhero'. There's something there, yeah.

edit: The 84th floor of WeinWrightson Tower, aka 1984, the year Moore started writing Swamp Thing.

He's killed because someone was under the impression he knew all about the secrets of life and death. Which, considering the kind of work Alan Moore did, you can kinda see where it tracks.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This issue of Det is pretty skippable if you haven't bought it yet.
Not looking forward to the character revealed at the end. Maybe JT4 can make me care.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I'm not really into this new direction for Steph, especially since she comes across as maybe the biggest hypocrite ever. It really blows my mind that in the Rebirth world, I think Cass and Clayface have a stronger friendship than Cass and Steph.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's pretty understandable. She's a teenager, and she is grieving the death (as far as she knows) of a loved one. She's not exactly acting rationally and I'm sure she'll come around eventually.

But yeah her plan is essentially to stop the Batfam from fighting crime by fighting it herself first. She's fighting vigilantism with slightly faster vigilantism. It really doesn't make the most sense.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I figured her reasoning was to do the fighting away from the cameras and such. Granted the first villain she faced was there to prove her point. He wanted to be in front of the cameras and be an "a lister" and her narration kept mentioning how Batman's methods attract these evil people who need to up the body count and be as bombastic as ever to get Bat's attention. She wants to fight that by rather fighting them away from all the attention. Honestly it isn't a bad idea, at least the way I read it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I just thought it was a boring issue. We already basically know her deal going out of that Victim Squad arc, and we could have just met up with her again when she comes back at the team with the guy at the end.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

I just thought it was a boring issue. We already basically know her deal going out of that Victim Squad arc, and we could have just met up with her again when she comes back at the team with the guy at the end.

The whole thing was a fill-in, so that's where you're getting those vibes.

The real hot ticket this week is Batman/The Shadow #2 which I sure hope all of yall are reading.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So, Batman.
I'd die laughing if the first regular issue back after Battle of Jokes and Riddles, however many months away that will be, just starts with the word "No." (e: as a double page spread. Just the two letters.)

Clay Mann's pages were crazy good looking.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 7, 2017

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

This will either end in a refusal, getting murdered, or it happens and then a divorce. Or Selina being brainwashed by Talia to forget.

Comedy option of Batman going to DC's version of The Devil and bargaining to save Alfred by sacrificing his marriage to be a SWINGIN BACHELOR again! Cause he was always more interesting that way!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Oh my god. That last issue of Batman was fantastic!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

pubic works project posted:

Oh my god. That last issue of Batman was fantastic!!

Well why don't you marry it!

• Locked thread