Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wild arms 3 is cool, cause the plot is just a girl shoots a bunch of goblins and decides to travel the world and then she meets up with a bunch of losers who also decided to travel the world and turns them all into a badass band of magical gunslingers and then you just follow them on crazy wild west adventures from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

wild arms 1 is badass even if it would be way better if rudy was a character who said things

wild arms 2 would be badass if you could read it and understand what people are saying

I love the structure of the character swapping and thought Rudy was gonna be the silent protag anchor, but the more I play he just feels weirdly out of place. But hey, Jack is cool enough to carry the game by himself, and it was cool when Cecilia cut her hair and put on overalls.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Guy Mann posted:

Also anybody who is already invested enough in a game to drop $60 to buy it at launch week is somebody whose experience is too effected by hype and expectations for me to take seriously, you need the people who get it a month later for half off at the very least before you start getting more balanced opinions. Remember how for like a week after it came out Resident Evil 7 was the best in the series and the greatest horror game in years and was gonna single-handedly save VR then after that nobody really talked about it or cared, or how Mankind Divided and FFXV being unfinished piles who weren't worth it didn't really start getting traction until the holidays sales?
Yes, every game that was ever praised at release turned out poo poo. Except fot those that weren't. But you're the smart man that called it in case it happens, already feeling pretty good about it. Thanks for sharing another one of your insightful observations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I actually praise every game at release just so it turns out like poo poo to troll everyone. It's why there hasn't been a good game since Fire N Ice on the NES.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I loved the beginning of Wild ARMs 3, where all four characters' paths collide during a train heist and then you play the "how did we get here?" scenes from each of their points of view. That's a really cool intro.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think new release blindness is definitely a thing but so is reflexive "actually everything was terrible" gooniness, and the two exist forever in a perfectly opposing balance, much as a star's nuclear fusion keeps it from collapsing in upon itself.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

In Training posted:

Wild Arms 1 is a pretty rad, if easy, JRPG.

I never finished Wild Arms 1 because it runs into Dragon Warrior 2 Syndrome about halfway through, in that the game gives you a boat and no clue as to what the gently caress to do next.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

I love the structure of the character swapping and thought Rudy was gonna be the silent protag anchor, but the more I play he just feels weirdly out of place. But hey, Jack is cool enough to carry the game by himself, and it was cool when Cecilia cut her hair and put on overalls.

rudy is weird because he's an actual character, with a depressing backstory and everything, but he also doesn't talk, and you only ever have the three characters in your party in wild arms 1, so jack ends up stealing a lot of the scenes.

wild arms 2 doesn't have that issue, everyone in it is cool and gets good focus, the only problem is that, uh, the english translation is loving confusing at best in a way that's both funny but also seriously hinders the game's actual attempts at characterization by turning a lot of what everybody in the game says into a garbled mess

wild arms 3 is the first game in the series to both have an entire cast of fun people and a translation that's goofy and funny and makes sense

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"The other Drifter team is composed of Maya Schrödinger, her brother Alfred, their stylish afro-ed bodyguard, Todd Dukakis, and a mysterious cat named Shady."

Man, maybe I should really bust out my PS2, I think it still works

Edit: Oh wow, I can play this on the PS4 upres? I just finished Prey, maybe this is next

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

rudy is weird because he's an actual character, with a depressing backstory and everything, but he also doesn't talk, and you only ever have the three characters in your party in wild arms 1, so jack ends up stealing a lot of the scenes.

wild arms 2 doesn't have that issue, everyone in it is cool and gets good focus, the only problem is that, uh, the english translation is loving confusing at best in a way that's both funny but also seriously hinders the game's actual attempts at characterization by turning a lot of what everybody in the game says into a garbled mess

wild arms 3 is the first game in the series to both have an entire cast of fun people and a translation that's goofy and funny and makes sense

Yeah the WA2 translation is legendarily bad from what I've seen, but I'll probably check it out anyway. I'm almost always playing a JRPG on a hand held and these are good games for the Vita

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"The other Drifter team is composed of Maya Schrödinger, her brother Alfred, their stylish afro-ed bodyguard, Todd Dukakis, and a mysterious cat named Shady."

Man, maybe I should really bust out my PS2, I think it still works

It's on PS4 as well, I picked it up on sale around Christmas for a couple bucks which got me to buy the first two (I can't play a series out of order, not for narrative or anything, I just genuinely enjoy seeing mechanical developments and changes)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a pretty extreme obsession too. When I saw the announce trailer for Final Fantasy XIII-3 at whatever E3 that was, I was like "wow, that looks loving awesome!" So I spent a year beating every FF game in order (except for IIIDS, gently caress that game)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
another cool thing about wild arms is that basically all the music up until wild arms 5 was composed by a lady who loving loves old western film scores. the most recent work she's done is on smash bros. soundtracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezkMLIdE-Kg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H7btQKcGa8

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

exquisite tea posted:

I think new release blindness is definitely a thing but so is reflexive "actually everything was terrible" gooniness, and the two exist forever in a perfectly opposing balance, much as a star's nuclear fusion keeps it from collapsing in upon itself.
There's nothing new about acknowledging release hype but being a smug rear end about it and cherry-picking examples to serve the cause is idiotic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Well sometimes games receive a lot of hype at release because they are indeed, good.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

I actually praise every game at release just so it turns out like poo poo to troll everyone. It's why there hasn't been a good game since Fire N Ice on the NES.

I think have the gift of incredibly low standards because I enjoy basically every game I buy (even mankind divided)

i just like to play video games

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'm getting these weird cravings to start a new game in SMT4, especially as I play through persona 5

should I follow my heart and start yet another game I will never finish, or should I work on the like six really great titles that I still need to finish and am halfway through or whatever???

ugh

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm still waiting for the true Halo killer.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust posted:

I'm still waiting for the true Halo killer.

I think Microsoft is the culprit here

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
there was a wild arms 4 and 5?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I liked the tone and atmosphere of Wild Arms 3. I don't remember if I ever finished it, maybe I should check it out again

if you don't remember whether or not you finished wild arms 3, you probably did, because the third act is :weed:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Is Dungeons 2 a good game? I've never heard of it but it's apparently free on the Humble Store for the next couple days.
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/dungeons-2?linkID=&mcID=102:59136fd3f0c3603d6c654b70:ot:56e84adb733462ca89992301:1

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

fridge corn posted:

there was a wild arms 4 and 5?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9KFOJzn3u4

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hitman 2 had a few good fun levels (the fugu one, the one where you deliver pizza to the goon in the basement, invitation to a party which was ps2 tech level Paris) and then, by today's standards, decent passable levels. and then some of the worst levels i've ever played in a game (the ninjas)

blood money was such an insane leap and it still probably holds up

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Contracts was worth it for The Meat King's Party alone.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

Well sometimes games receive a lot of hype at release because they are indeed, good.

Most games these days are, indeed, good.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

raditts posted:

Contracts was worth it for The Meat King's Party alone.

i remember liking the hunting lodge

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I first played Blood Money a little over a year ago. It was my first Hitman game and I really got into it. It does hold up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

Is Dungeons 2 a good game? I've never heard of it but it's apparently free on the Humble Store for the next couple days.
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/dungeons-2?linkID=&mcID=102:59136fd3f0c3603d6c654b70:ot:56e84adb733462ca89992301:1

Quick glance at Metacritic makes it sound like a fun Dungeon Keeper clone, so I'm in. Thanks for the heads up!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've beaten the first three wild arms games and all three have a loving crazy story but somehow WA2 with all its translation problems is the least crazy of the three

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The only Wild Arms I played was 5 and I remember hating every single bit of it even though I was big into anime and jrpgs at the time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also trails of cold steel might be up there with xenosaga 2 for "world's longest stretches of non-skippable cutscenes"

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

I think have the gift of incredibly low standards because I enjoy basically every game I buy (even mankind divided)

i just like to play video games

It could just be that you like fun and a lot of people are actually opposed to fun, or at least find fun in opposing fun.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I should get around to restarting Wild Arms 3 now that the PS4 version isn't a crashy mess anymore.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Colonel posted:

another cool thing about wild arms is that basically all the music up until wild arms 5 was composed by a lady who loving loves old western film scores. the most recent work she's done is on smash bros. soundtracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezkMLIdE-Kg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H7btQKcGa8

Wild Arms 1 intro blew me the hell away when I first saw it. Mostly because an actual animated intro. And yeah the music in that series owns. Michiko Naruke is the composer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrDV6VksSRU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

corn in the bible posted:

Please make Kane and Lynch 3

I liked this franchise. It was trash but it was entertaining. Except the jungle section of the first one. Man that sucked and it looked terrible.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What happened to Tom Clancy's The Division? Did people stop playing it?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

James Woods Fan posted:

I liked this franchise. It was trash but it was entertaining. Except the jungle section of the first one. Man that sucked and it looked terrible.

If it wasn't for that franchise, GiantBomb wouldn't exist so I guess all the fans of them should be appreciative.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

also trails of cold steel might be up there with xenosaga 2 for "world's longest stretches of non-skippable cutscenes"

To be fair the longest ones outside of the end of the game usually straight up have a save point halfway through. It also does the Xenogears thing where a chunk of gameplay is monologued at you because they ran out of time tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Since Mass Effect, Deus Ex, and Hitman are all dead, I require at least 1 Metroid game and/or 1 Vanillaware game to balance things out

I almost said "Dead Space" but I have zero faith in EA to do absolutely anything

• Locked thread