Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Since 7.1.2 I noticed my Pixel XL doing that too. I did a factory reset and it's completely fixed, so I recommend that.

Ugh, okay. Resets are a pain in the rear end due to the various authenticator apps I have. Last I checked, there's no way to back those up for encryption reasons or some such... Is this still the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Root and titanium backup

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Blue Train posted:

Is it that much more than the s8

$795 for a 64gb S8 vs $859 for a 32gb pixel, or $975 for a 128gb pixel (a quick glance at Amazon prices... they're all stupidly expensive in my mind).

Benefit of an S8 is being able to pay for it as I wish over a two year period, interest free, because T-mobile carries it. I don't think they carry the Pixel.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Whaaaaaa?

32 gb pixel is $649.

Of course, the Play Store is out of stock which explains the Amazon prices.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CornHolio posted:

$795 for a 64gb S8 vs $859 for a 32gb pixel, or $975 for a 128gb pixel (a quick glance at Amazon prices... they're all stupidly expensive in my mind).

Benefit of an S8 is being able to pay for it as I wish over a two year period, interest free, because T-mobile carries it. I don't think they carry the Pixel.

They are all v expensive. What do you do on your phone? Is it possible you could be served by a Moto g5+?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Blue Train posted:

Root and titanium backup

Yeah, still a pain in the rear end then.

Although I've been meaning to root again to try out f.lux... Has to be a reason I've been sitting with my bootloader unlocked all along.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I prefer adaway over the vpn adblocking solutions so I always root, it's p trivial esp with a nexus

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

How do I see data usage for previous month?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Touch the cellular signal tile?

I suppose you'd need to go to cellular data usage to see previous momths

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
google play music is a boon and a bane. It does things I like and don't but it introduces me to music that I like I've never heard before. Is there anyway to see all the songs I've thumbed up'd? I can't remember all these bands.

also not sure whether to post here or the apps thread but this seems like android centric.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Leper Residue posted:

google play music is a boon and a bane. It does things I like and don't but it introduces me to music that I like I've never heard before. Is there anyway to see all the songs I've thumbed up'd? I can't remember all these bands.

also not sure whether to post here or the apps thread but this seems like android centric.

Probably not the spot to post, but all the songs you've thumbed up get added to a playlist. I think they're greyed out for the ones you don't own.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

There's an auto playlist of everything you've thumbed up. Hamburger menu > Music Library > Playlists. Chances are it's the first one at the top.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Oh ok cool thank you! If I buy a subscription will I be able to just go "Ok Google play *Band name*" and it'll go through that bands discog or do I need to buy all this poo poo?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Blue Train posted:

Touch the cellular signal tile?

I suppose you'd need to go to cellular data usage to see previous momths

Previous, not current. There seems to be no way to see previous months, I've tapped everything in data usage and its submenus.

It was there in Android 4.4 which my previous phone had.

Android 7.1.1 on my current phone

Sininu fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 12, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

SinineSiil posted:

Previous, not current. There seems to be no way to see previous months, I've tapped everything in data usage and its submenus.

It was there in Android 4.4 which my previous phone had.

Android 7.1.1 on my current phone

Cellular tile more settings cellular data usage choose previous month from drop-down listing date range next to gear icon

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jan posted:

Ugh, okay. Resets are a pain in the rear end due to the various authenticator apps I have. Last I checked, there's no way to back those up for encryption reasons or some such... Is this still the case?

What authenticators lack a backup?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Blue Train posted:

Cellular tile more settings cellular data usage choose previous month from drop-down listing date range next to gear icon

There is no drop-down list.

I even tried long-pressing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

What authenticators lack a backup?

Google's? Microsoft's? Which ones DO have a backup?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

Oh ok cool thank you! If I buy a subscription will I be able to just go "Ok Google play *Band name*" and it'll go through that bands discog or do I need to buy all this poo poo?

Yeah. An all access subscription will let you play anything whenever.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Don't try to play a playlist with a voice command though

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

Don't try to play a playlist with a voice command though

Why not?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It has never worked for me, it just starts an auto playlist, not the playlist I made. Keep in mind there are regional differences to voice commands too, like I can't use "ok Google what's this song" or whatever the song search one is

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hmm. I use it all the time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah I dunno, just tried it right now and instead of playing my playlist, it played some auto radio station thing in Play Music with a similar name

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

SinineSiil posted:

There is no drop-down list.

I even tried long-pressing.

Unsure then this is how it looks on mine

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CLAM DOWN posted:

Google's? Microsoft's? Which ones DO have a backup?

LastInLine thinks 2FA software starts and ends with Authy.

Which is pretty much LastPass for 2FA (only done by a different company), with everything that implies.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

dont be mean to me posted:

LastInLine thinks 2FA software starts and ends with Authy.

Which is pretty much LastPass for 2FA (only done by a different company), with everything that implies.

He's on Authenticator+ now.

Which is like KeePass for 2FA and therefore good.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

McAfee is going to be preloaded on new S8s, you honestly can't make this poo poo up

http://www.androidauthority.com/mcafee-samsung-galaxy-s8-770561/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's not even the best part of the article.

quote:

Also, the McAfee Security for TV anti-malware technology is available for Samsung smart TVs in the US and Korea, with more countries to be added in the future.

There's a McAfee security for TV.....

Just....I can't....I think this broke me. Stop the world, I want to get off.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Jesus Christ, we have now reached peak madness

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The Android Thread - I can't....I think this broke me

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Can't wait for Avast to partner up with GE so people can't hack my Hot Pockets in the freezer

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Like anyone in here owns a non Samsung fridge.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

IOwnCalculus posted:

Like anyone in here owns a non Samsung fridge.

Their freestanding oven you mean?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It knows when you're really hungry and cooks all of your food at once.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It'll be like that S3 outage when a smart oven got stuck on and started heating up a dude's house uncontrollably

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Holy poo poo McAfee.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Under what scenario could a TV need anti virus software?
Like, it just looks absurd typing it out.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Train posted:

I prefer adaway over the vpn adblocking solutions so I always root, it's p trivial esp with a nexus

Just in case you're on a Samsung device, there's a pretty amazing Knox-based ad blocker that doesn't require root: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.getadhell.androidapp&hl=en

Works much better than hacky no-root solutions like NetGuard, which I used to run on my Nexus 6.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Peachfart posted:

Under what scenario could a TV need anti virus software?

I don't know, but if there is such a scenario, it will be Samsung for sure.