Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Speaking of McElroy influences, I've noticed how influenced Griffin's cadence seems to be by Matt Gourley ever since the TTAZZ where he mentioned Angus came from the ghost boy from Superego. Every time Griffin changes up syllable stresses in sentences, I hear a bit of Gourley in there. Not that that's the worst thing. He incorporates it naturally, and Superego and Matt Gourley are amazing.

I can hear that. I've wondered if there's some Hollywood Handbook influence creeping in recently, ever since the "Which Swinton?" "Tilda." "Mmm, not my favorite." exchange from a few weeks back. Not really because it was showbiz related, but more in the dry, "over it" tone Griffin used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Ojjeorago posted:

He's the bad guy from Richie Rich.
He was also memorably in Night Court, most recent thing I saw him in might've been his episode on House. He was also in Boston Legal.

showbiz_liz posted:

I'm not saying that the inspiration of Zag On 'Em is THE reason I did this last week, but I definitely thought about it when I booked the appointment.

Great zag!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

20🐍 is probably the best year motto we've had and the only one I've actually acted on, though the zag of me moving to Ohio and getting a new job began in the last week of 20Fixteen.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Who What Now posted:

Thanks. But I don't know who John LaRoquette is, so now I gotta Google that.

He's the radio announcer at the very beginning of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre :v:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Waffleman_ posted:

20🐍 is probably the best year motto we've had and the only one I've actually acted on, though the zag of me moving to Ohio and getting a new job began in the last week of 20Fixteen.
20-grift-teen: the con is on is my second-favorite. The others, meh.

I like that the wiki has a page titled "Good Advice" which is just blank and always has been.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

showbiz_liz posted:

I'm not saying that the inspiration of Zag On 'Em is THE reason I did this last week, but I definitely thought about it when I booked the appointment.

Love it! great job

I feel already zagged last year by moving overseas for no real reason, so now I have to come up with something else :saddowns:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Waffleman_ posted:

They'd expect you to zag in the year of the zag. Looks like you ziged em good.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

showbiz_liz posted:

It looks nice!

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Swan Lake Algae Problem posted:

I feel like part the kimono came up as an example of a gross business phrase they hear a lot and hate, and then they kept using it ironically.

They always seemed to hate hearing it.

Yes, in the episode where they bring up people telling them to stop using it, Justin says that he hates it, which is one of the reasons it kept being said. To rob of it of its power but also because it's funny to inflict really terrible things upon your friends/brothers.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

justin griffin and nick are playing pubg also some other guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CsWaa5Qr4Y

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Thanks. But I don't know who John LaRoquette is, so now I gotta Google that.

i'm gonna power dunk you, you insufferable piece of poo poo

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Ojjeorago posted:

He's the bad guy from Richie Rich.

If this is honestly anyone's frame of reference for John LaRoquette, I don't know what universe I'm in anymore

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
That's the only thing I've ever seen him in. :shrug:

Edit: Oh he was also the old spy on Chuck.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/cirque/status/862757120101371904

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I only know him as the dad of the Uhh Yeah Dude guy and the guy who wasn't in the 30 Rock Night Court reunion

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
why is everybody capitalizing Larroquette weird, is that a goof

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Poque posted:

why is everybody capitalizing Larroquette weird, is that a goof

Whoops, I just saw it and my brain repeated it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

La'RoQuette

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
L'Aroquette

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's French for "The Rroquette."

e: Actually cool French fact: "Roquette" means both "Rocket" and "Arugula". Makes you think.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 11, 2017

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
If you haven't watched Night Court you should watch some Night Court.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Also, if you haven't listened to Uhh Yeah Dude, you should listen to some UYD. It's very good.

JethroMcB posted:

I can hear that. I've wondered if there's some Hollywood Handbook influence creeping in recently, ever since the "Which Swinton?" "Tilda." "Mmm, not my favorite." exchange from a few weeks back. Not really because it was showbiz related, but more in the dry, "over it" tone Griffin used.

Nick had a lil twitter interaction today with Sean Clements, so you're probably not wrong. It's very good when our podcast pals are podcast nerds too.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Scudworth posted:

If you haven't watched Night Court you should watch some Night Court.

It has the objectively best theme song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUltrX-ICew

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Ah, the song Homestar Runner's buzzer plays.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I never know how to introduce UYD to people. It feels like you really need to get to know them to truly get what's going on. But maybe I'm just full of poo poo.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Deffo had John Laroquette and John De Lancie super mixed up and was wondering why no one was mentioning Q.

Also I have a problem with podcasts with professional comedians, no idea why. All their jokes are VERY funny but not at all quirky. Also most times their delivery is too good, they know where they are going before they set out on the joke-journey. With the McelBoys, I feel like I am along for the ride. We have no idea where the bit is going and where we're gonna head up.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Captain Internet posted:

Also I have a problem with podcasts with professional comedians, no idea why. All their jokes are VERY funny but not at all quirky. Also most times their delivery is too good, they know where they are going before they set out on the joke-journey. With the McelBoys, I feel like I am along for the ride. We have no idea where the bit is going and where we're gonna head up.

i feel like i'm going insane reading this

jonathan larroquette and seth romatelli are not professional anythings and their conversations are 300% more natural than anything that's been said on mbmbam

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Alaois posted:

jonathan larroquette and seth romatelli are not professional anythings and their conversations are 300% more natural than anything that's been said on mbmbam

Excuse me, Mr Romatelli is known for his feature role in Crossroads.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Narrator posted:

Excuse me, Mr Romatelli is known for his feature role in Crossroads.

like i said, not a professional anything :v:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I can give Captain Internet some credit maybe in that UYD or the like aren't especially "quirky" (to use the language from the post), but they are really funny without having to make fantastical jokes or deep-cut references. Seth in particular has a great way of just mulling over a premise to produce laughs, which appears to have influenced Griffin's comedic sensibility too ("hey [subject], how's your x?). Which might sound like they know where the joke's going, but it's still entertaining to listen to. I'll take that over someone who bombs their own/their cohosts' setups any day (not the McElroys particularly, just general).

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Yeah, that's an interesting way of thinking about it. UYD's completely unrehearsed, conversational mulling-over of subject material being the way goofs are generated is something the McElroys lean on pretty heavily. Like, "here's x outside material, let's chew on it together until jokes come out."

And in Griffin's intentional provocation of Travis (or occasionally Justin) I can also see a lot of when Seth eggs on Jonathan in order to make him say crazy stuff that he can then react to in an outsized screamy manner.

It's a fuckin' rock-solid formula for casual improvisational humor that the UYD boys found, and the McElroys certainly deserve credit for making it much more marketable and accessible than UYD could.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Didn't see the new Car Boys posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z81oMeMvyMk

Love the surprise Buzz Lightyear

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

UYD is a current affairs discussion show that discusses extremely minor affairs through a lens of an LA local and a guy who moved there to chase his dream. It's not an easy show to get into, but once it clicks it's magic. The hosts have a really special bond but really differ in life experiences.

What's cool about it is that neither are selling anything else or trying to bolster their other careers. These days it feels like every UCB backbencher has a podcast or two to pump up their comedy shows. UYD is the complete package - it's the real product and they just want you to enjoy it and maybe share with their friends.

MBMBaM definitely draws a big influence (Griffin's "indignant" tone was basically a 1:1 copy of Seth's vibe but it's now diverged a lot) - the tone of the show is definitely a slower pace than MBMBaM and it generally covers lower-key topics, with a few real spicy ideas thrown in. It doesn't get surreal as often.

MBMBaM is like The Simpsons, UYD is like the episode of The Simpsons where Homer goes on a chilli-fuelled vision quest.

The show has never run advertisements or had any real support or interaction with the 'Podcast Community' but it's been running for over ten years at this stage.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I haven't listened to UYD in years, but I was real happy to see they got a decently successful patreon going so now they're not depressingly broke like they used to be.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UoR1dUm9dE

LamesDoc
May 18, 2014

JethroMcB posted:

If you listen to any new Cool Games Inc there is a noticable Hollywood Handbook influence. I know Nick listens to HH, not sure about Griffin.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
From the descriptions here, UYD sounds like SPY but without Canadians. Is this a correct assessment?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Alaois posted:

I get the impression they are referring to Comedy Bang! Bang! and the like

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SpacePig posted:

From the descriptions here, UYD sounds like SPY but without Canadians. Is this a correct assessment?
UYD is very much the two hosts reacting, usually with a baseline of bemusement up to exasperation and rarely outrage, to the news of the week. Even Jon will go off on a rant if you hit the right topic (e.g. the continued popularity of Ed Sheeran). No guests ever.

SPY regularly has guests, who casually share recent stories and what is up with them lately, which the 2 hosts do as well. Because the hosts are there all the time, there is some continuity (for example, one has an toddler that comes up a lot). News items are rarely a reaction item, but pop culture trends often are, if they're of particular interest to host or guest. There is a recurring segment ("Overheard") where funny things overseen/overheard from strangers are shared between guest/hosts, and then they react to the calls and emails from listeners with such stories. The guests skew towards repeating and Canadian comedians.

That said, if you like one you may like the other to some extent. Both have been running for an extremely long time in terms of podcasting.

e: While we're at it, JJGo is much more similar to SPY, where there is usually a guest, and instead of "Overheard" there are "Momentous Occasions" where listeners call (rarely write) in with ersatz personal achievements or stupendous things overseen. Chit-chat between Jesse and Jordan (and guest) tends to have at least some "in the news" or at least pop culture reactions, certainly more than SPY but less than UYD. The guests sometimes repeat, but not overly often, and tend to be LA-based comedians.

I like all these shows.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Alright, thanks for the info. Sounds like UYD might not be for me. Gave it a go a few years ago, didn't really like it then, probably still won't like it now.

This week's car boys was fun, and I really enjoyed the sudden appearance of Buzz Lightyear, but they spent all of this time with Ball and never hit it with a regular old car. The Ovo is nice and all, but we all know that it doesn't play nice with other objects. I just wanted to see a car have a good old time with Ball.