Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Um, not if the controls are in the outboard position and i have the parking brake on.

You have a Cub Cadet with a functioning parking brake? I'm more impressed by that than any other mechanical expertise you could name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm paid to ahahahahaha I'm not paid

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

scuz posted:

I'm paid to computer janitor.

I mostly sit around all day but the prozac is helping(?).

Same, but I just obsess over personal projects instead of treating my sadbrain.

Also, today is my the fifteenth anniversary of registering my account. All that time and still not a single worthwhile post. :yotj:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm paid to tell other computer janitors how to janitor computers.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You have a Cub Cadet with a functioning parking brake? I'm more impressed by that than any other mechanical expertise you could name.

Right now i'm paid to uncrate and prep them for customers who paid for them weeks ago.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Adiabatic posted:

Get into DCS / SCADA poo poo. There's so much automation occurring in industry. Manufacturing is coming back to America, but the jobs are all logic programming and robit programming and automation.

Repeat after me: Controls Engineer.

I will nth this but I will add that if you're​ not a tech guy and like working with your hands people good with fluid power, Hydraulic and pneumatics also have a lot of demand also due in large part to automation. If you can do the whole deal and also program/controls you have it made.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I'm in the adult toy industry.

The specific segment being radio controlled cars. Large scale radio controlled cars.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Punk rear end book jockey here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I sell funnybooks.

My customer base is getting pretty goddamned irritating and I'm ready for that SC move now.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm starting at General Motors in a month, programming... something. They haven't told me yet.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I work in NDA

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

CommieGIR posted:

I'm paid to tell other computer janitors how to janitor computers.

:hfive: I'm a computer janitor wrangler too.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm paid to play with heavy equipment and sweat a lot

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

angryrobots posted:

I'm paid to play with heavy equipment and sweat a lot
I saw that written on a bathroom stall once along with a phone number.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

gently caress hail.

That's all.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Korwen posted:

gently caress hail.

That's all.
How much do you make per hail?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Cage posted:

Do you know how much a jizz mopper makes?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Cage posted:

You're using the wrong right bathrooms

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I write angry emails to stupid executives for a living, in between stints of drinking heavily in the bar downstairs.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Cage posted:

-$500 most likely.

bend
Dec 31, 2012
I'm paid to put poo poo on shelves, or grow organic garlic depending on the day. Oh and apparently deal with adult children who can't take their interpersonal bullshit out of the workplace. That really gets in the way of putting poo poo on shelves, and apparently means I don't get a smoke break anymore.
Oh well at least the garlic doesn't pull this high school bullshit.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cage posted:

:laffo:

also, LAND has the single best screen name on SA

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I'm paid to sell things to make beer/wine/etc.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm starting at General Motors in a month, programming... something. They haven't told me yet.

Your office will be near mine then!

(Except I don't work for or at GM)

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm paid to tell people their software is broken and someone else should fix it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

mariooncrack posted:

I'm paid to tell people their software is broken and someone else should fix it

All software is broken (except for TimbOS ofc)

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I'm paid to tell people they're using their phone wrong.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I teach English as a foreign language to pay the bills and get paid to translate games a game in my spare time.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

RillAkBea posted:

I teach English as a foreign language to pay the bills and get paid to translate games a game in my spare time.

I thought about teaching English as a foreign language. How is that? Are you part of the JET program?

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I fix commercial and industrial laundry equipment. Washers, dryers, ironers, folders, anything that has to do with laundry, except dry cleaning because gently caress all that noise. I even have to go fix some hotel's laundry chute that has a broken fusible link. I don't know why a chute has a fusible link, but I'm gonna find out!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
There is a 104k mile Boxster that has had the IMS done local guy asking 5800 and wants it gone. I'm sure 5 would buy it. I just can't. Got 3 cars in the drive away and major projects going. If anyone wants the info let me know. Silver/black car.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Door Frame posted:

Your post is pretty loving cool, and while I'm not a fan of that style of two-tone paint, as far as I can see on my phone screen, it looks like it came out well.
Better than I expected. Spray guns work so much better than spray cans!

quote:

However, I don't want that diesel thing to slip by me. How in the gently caress do you realistically enforce a $30 a day tax for driving inside of the city?
Well, remember that the UK, and London in particular, is all about surveillance. And they already implement a congestion charge in downtown London. Presumably, they'll use the same mechanism for the diesel surcharge.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Texas has enough assholes.

e: welp guess who has a monitor that decided vertical banding is awesome. At least it's my 2nd monitor (~9 year old 20" Dell) instead of my main one (~5 year old 22" Acer).

Want a Viewsonic VG2230wm 22"? May need a cap kit for the power supply. I ended up with several that sometimes take a few minutes to power up. Their wider than 4:3, but not quite 16:9. Probably 10 years old, but I'm using two that I replaced the capacitors on, and they're working fine.

scuz posted:

I'm paid to computer janitor.

I mostly sit around all day but the prozac is helping(?).

I was paid to do that. Currently, I'm not paid at all, and doing house and car projects, as long as they don't cost more than about $20.
Job hunting is absolutely the worst thing in the world for your ego outside of dating. My wife tells me three interviews in two weeks is good, but it still feels like failure.
At least I now know I will absolutely love retirement, provided the house is paid for and savings are sufficient for bills. I really thought I would do more movie/TV catchup watching, but I've been fixing stuff more than I've been doing that.

slidebite posted:

I will nth this but I will add that if you're​ not a tech guy and like working with your hands people good with fluid power, Hydraulic and pneumatics also have a lot of demand also due in large part to automation. If you can do the whole deal and also program/controls you have it made.

How does one get into this? Part of my problem is the whole "I'm 47 years old with a family and a house." Starting over is tough when you're used to a half-way decent salary. I'm not in any way ambitious or interested in climbing the ladder/management. I just want a job with some variety that I won't hate going to every day, with the seemingly-impossible additional requirement of paying a decent wage that at least keeps up with inflation/cost of living.
I'm a computer janitor with a (very) little experience in server and networks, I understand basic electronics and can actually solder (my MegaSquirt works!) and I work on cars a lot.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

How does one get into this? Part of my problem is the whole "I'm 47 years old with a family and a house." Starting over is tough when you're used to a half-way decent salary. I'm not in any way ambitious or interested in climbing the ladder/management. I just want a job with some variety that I won't hate going to every day, with the seemingly-impossible additional requirement of paying a decent wage that at least keeps up with inflation/cost of living.
I'm a computer janitor with a (very) little experience in server and networks, I understand basic electronics and can actually solder (my MegaSquirt works!) and I work on cars a lot.

I'm pretty much there at 46. Been a security guard for 7 years now, and although it's tempting sometimes, I'm in no mood to start another career again from the bottom so it's looks like I'll be doing this the rest of my life. The good thing is I like my job, work on the beach, great atmosphere and cool people that's ten minutes from my house so the lovely pay doesn't bother me as much. Sure I'd like to make more money but I'd probably be miserable in the long run starting over. Plus my wife makes way more than me so it takes the pressure off. Overall I'm just happy I don't hate my job because I've been there and it sucks.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Im paid to be a controls engineer and make scada/PLCs work. I tell everyone its just fancy MSPaint, because thats what it is.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I solve problems. Usually technical problems at least somewhat infosec related but sometimes I just fix random poo poo around the office. I get paid pretty well (for the midwest) and usually have fun with my friends at work all day. Other than being in the midwest everything is great.

BraveUlysses posted:

how do i move into infosec? looks like an interesting and soon to be booming industry
I'm in infosec but I just kinda fell into the field and don't really know how to get in without an IT background. The field is desperate for competent people though and there are a lot of entry level analyst positions out there. EY (and I assume the other big firms) seem to hire just about anyone judging by all the very expensive morons they keep sending us so maybe that's an in. People that like to tinker and solve problems tend to be valuable. Python, Powershell, and Bash scripting all go a long way.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I spent ten minutes yesterday on the phone to a guy who wanted me to write an excel report to collate a bunch of data from other excel sheets so he could achieve one of his annual objectives, due next week. He wouldn't outright ask or even tell me to do it, he was trying to get me to volunteer. I didn't make it easy for him and never actually said I would do it. My supervisor was listening in and wetting himself laughing.

They won't let me play with SCADA, I've briefly had access to our plant network last year but they revoked it because they didn't have enough licences.I think it'd be a useful skill to have.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

Want a Viewsonic VG2230wm 22"? May need a cap kit for the power supply. I ended up with several that sometimes take a few minutes to power up. Their wider than 4:3, but not quite 16:9. Probably 10 years old, but I'm using two that I replaced the capacitors on, and they're working fine.

I may take you up on that. I already have a TV that needs the same, I can eventually knock them both out at the same time (emphasis on eventually). :v: Looks like the resolution is the same as the 20" Dell.

e: hm... I just realized I'm running it over VGA. Might try it on DVI, if I can find one of my DVI cables. May or may not help.

BigPaddy posted:

Do you know how much a jizz mopper makes?

As a matter of fact Randal, I do. $8.25/hr at a local chain of 24 hour places.

I don't think they've raised it (... the pay, that is) since minimum wage last increased.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 12, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My manager has handed his notice in, and I think I'm going to apply for the position. It's a bit different to what I do normally, obviously, and would likely be a steep learning curve, but I feel like I shouldn't let the opportunity pass me by.

The only other people in the engineering department who might be able to apply are significantly (25+ years) older than me and probably retiring in the near future, so internally I think I'd be the only one going for it, plus the instant the news came out I had two people (someone in engineering and someone in quality) say I should apply.

I basically feel like I'd be a lot better positioned for it if it were a little more down the line and I could work with my manager to move toward that kind of role, with him being here for say another 5 years, but if he's going now, well, he's going now, and if I don't go for it and the role is taken by someone more my age, it kind of blocks that path for a longer time.

If I didn't get it, I think I'd kind of get a second bite at progression by applying to be the senior engineer when he retires.

Anyone else found themselves in this kind of scenario?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

My manager has handed his notice in, and I think I'm going to apply for the position. It's a bit different to what I do normally, obviously, and would likely be a steep learning curve, but I feel like I shouldn't let the opportunity pass me by.

The only other people in the engineering department who might be able to apply are significantly (25+ years) older than me and probably retiring in the near future, so internally I think I'd be the only one going for it, plus the instant the news came out I had two people (someone in engineering and someone in quality) say I should apply.

I basically feel like I'd be a lot better positioned for it if it were a little more down the line and I could work with my manager to move toward that kind of role, with him being here for say another 5 years, but if he's going now, well, he's going now, and if I don't go for it and the role is taken by someone more my age, it kind of blocks that path for a longer time.

If I didn't get it, I think I'd kind of get a second bite at progression by applying to be the senior engineer when he retires.

Anyone else found themselves in this kind of scenario?

Take it.

5 years of pushing yourself is a hell of a lot better than 5 years of regretting not taking an opportunity.

• Locked thread