Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Villian: Extirpate your punishing fire.
Hero: Activate Grove in response, trigger, return punishing fire, fizzle extirpate
Villian: :reject:

Cernel Joson: No, Hero, you are the villians.

(for playing Punishing Grove, you see)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hero: "Krosan Grip your Counterbalance"
Villain: *blind flip Entreat the Angels*

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if someone's ever been gotten by unmophing a willbender in response to a split second spell.

Also this has me all in the mood to brew a trickbind shadow of doubt ghost quarter deck of some sort.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Say, what was the initial reaction to legacy dredge when it first crawled out of the graveyard and onto the legacy scene?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I wonder if someone's ever been gotten by unmophing a willbender in response to a split second spell.

I'm sure it has happened, and I'm equally sure that at least some of them have been utterly unable to comprehend why that works, even when you show them the rules that explain how morph is not a triggered ability

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

JerryLee posted:

I'm sure it has happened, and I'm equally sure that at least some of them have been utterly unable to comprehend why that works, even when you show them the rules that explain how morph is not a triggered ability

Now I'm curious about when you aren't allowed to unmorph a creature.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Also this has me all in the mood to brew a trickbind shadow of doubt ghost quarter deck of some sort.

Yes, and this happened to me in TSP limited when I cast Sudden Shock on a morph that turned out to be a Willbender, and yes, I had to stop the game to check the rules, and yes I ended up losing because of it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

Pretty much never, right? It doesn't use the stack.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

When you don't have priority at least.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Star Man posted:

When humility is in play.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Also, trick question, you can never unmorph a creature.

:smug:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

odiv posted:

....yeah you can?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lawnie posted:

Pretty much never, right? It doesn't use the stack.

The only requirement is that you have priority. An effect that would prevent activated abilities of creatures from being activated (for example, enchanting a face-down card with Detainment Spell) will not stop it from being able to use the morph ability because it is not an activated ability. However, an effect which would remove all abilities from the morphed creature will prevent it from being able morph because it loses the morph ability entirely and the cost can no longer be paid.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 12, 2017

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

Yes, and this happened to me in TSP limited when I cast Sudden Shock on a morph that turned out to be a Willbender, and yes, I had to stop the game to check the rules, and yes I ended up losing because of it.

Brutal. I love it actually.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

A big flaming stink posted:

....yeah you can?

I'm calling a judge this is bullshit.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

odiv posted:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I saw it happen to a Krosan Grip in commander a while ago. I've Mischievious Quanared one before.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Rules question:

I think that around Fourth or Fifth Edition (or prior) creatures would 'sleep' or be 'asleep' when you cast them. I think this was different than Summoning Sickness which was the case when the casting had been resolved. What's the term (aside from being "on the stack") for this now?

Also, at one point tapped creatures could block - but not deal combat damage. Was this due to an enchament or something? Maybe around 1998-99?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
No idea what you mean by sleep. To my knowledge the summoning sickness rules have never changed.

The old rule was that if a creature became tapped after blocking it wouldn't deal damage, but will continue to block. The new rule is that everything proceeds exactly the same as if it were untapped. At no point could tapped creatures block (though I think there's a creature from much later that allowed it as an effect?)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

cheetah7071 posted:

No idea what you mean by sleep. To my knowledge the summoning sickness rules have never changed.

The old rule was that if a creature became tapped after blocking it wouldn't deal damage, but will continue to block. The new rule is that everything proceeds exactly the same as if it were untapped. At no point could tapped creatures block (though I think there's a creature from much later that allowed it as an effect?)

I forget her name but it's a white lady from Kamigawa. Masako?

Edit: Yep, Masako.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 12, 2017

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I've been playing since 98 and never heard of that sleep thing. Summoning sickness rules haven't changed though the term 'summoning sickness' became informal and not official rulespeak anymore once they keyworded haste.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Only moral quandary I encounter in MtG is when opponents forget triggers & I give them a moment to think before moving on

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

odiv posted:

When you don't have priority at least.

They'd obviously never print it, but I wonder if, from a purely rules-based perspective, there would be any problem with a Silence variant that said "Target player doesn't get priority for the rest of this turn."

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

JerryLee posted:

They'd obviously never print it, but I wonder if, from a purely rules-based perspective, there would be any problem with a Silence variant that said "Target player doesn't get priority for the rest of this turn."

I long for the enchantment with the text "state based actions aren't checked"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

cheetah7071 posted:

Brooooooooooooooooooooooooooookkkkkeeennnnnnnnnn

JerryLee posted:

I want a Silence variant with split second. Or like...a 2 mana version of Render Silent. :v:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

mailorder bees! posted:

ooh nice. I love artist signings

And three of my favorites cards:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

please zoom out and take a full picture of those Wizard comics cards

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Well, for one thing, this would mean that games could only be ended by cards/abilities that explicitly lose or win a player the game, since losing to life total, poison, decking, etc. are all SBEs. :v:

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

And three of my favorites cards:

they've printed so many serra angel variants and they are SOOO much stronger.

check out baneslayer angel and archangel avacyn

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

JerryLee posted:

Well, for one thing, this would mean that games could only be ended by cards/abilities that explicitly lose or win a player the game, since losing to life total, poison, decking, etc. are all SBEs. :v:

Or it acts as an Abyssal Persecutor sort of deal where you're just in limbo until it gets off the board.

Make it a creature instead of an enchantment for bigger fun times.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Hellsau posted:

please zoom out and take a full picture of those Wizard comics cards

It's like a time capsule from 1997.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

cheetah7071 posted:

My question is whether or not a functional reprint of Staying Power would fly in actual Magic, even if it was a version that only stuck around for a certain number of turns. Seems like it could cause a lot of memory headaches though.

E: Something like

Freeze Frame
XWU
Enchantment
~ enters the battlefield with X time counters.
During your upkeep, remove a time counter from ~ or sacrifice ~.
"This turn" and "until end of turn" effects don't end.

Making it only stick around for X turns means I can't go Wrath -> Silence -> ~ to lock the opponent out of the game. Although, for three cards and 7+ mana you probably should get close to winning.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 12, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Molybdenum posted:

they've printed so many serra angel variants and they are SOOO much stronger.

check out baneslayer angel and archangel avacyn

Guy probably doesn't even know how to play magic.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

My question is whether or not a functional reprint of Staying Power would fly in actual Magic, even if it was a version that only stuck around for a certain number of turns. Seems like it could cause a lot of memory headaches though.

E: Something like

Freeze Frame
XWU
Enchantment
~ enters the battlefield with X time counters.
During your upkeep, remove a time counter from ~ or sacrifice ~.
"This turn" and "until end of turn" effects don't end.

Making it only stick around for X turns means I can't go Wrath -> Silence -> ~ to lock the opponent out of the game. Although, for three cards and 7+ mana you probably should get close to winning.

I'm pretty sure this type of effect can only work in an unset.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

I'm pretty sure this type of effect can only work in an unset.

I got my The Cheese Stands Alone functional reprint, let me dream dammit

(yes I know that card involves a much simpler check)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oh look, Sphinx of the Final word went from bulk mythic to five bucks. Thanks, Seth.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

mailorder bees! posted:

ooh nice. I love artist signings

I put together a potato phone album of my signed cards. I love getting signings at GenCon, Dragoncon, and any GPs I manage to attend.

http://imgur.com/a/vAzS7

Here's a preview:

I've got about 30 of those foil swamps signed because it's my favorite swamp art, and I got an artist proof altered with a sketch.

Also, never let Wayne Reynolds or Adam Rex sign your cards.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
tbf lsv also played the deck on cfb, it seems like a pretty sweet deck

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

C-Euro posted:

I would settle for "players skip their cleanup steps" I suppose

Would that cause an infinite loop of repeatedly skipped cleanup steps at the end of every turn as the game desperately tries to fix everything? I think it might, but it would be worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

Guy probably doesn't even know how to play magic.

Me?

I'll have you know I played ~20 games this week and even won a couple. Not too shabby since my last game played was probably in 1998. :colbert:

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 12, 2017