Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I found this link which is both celebrity gossip and good financial advice so I enjoyed reading it quite a bit.

http://www.moneycrashers.com/cheap-frugal-celebrities/

Contrasts delightfully with Master P, who went from being worth an estimated $600M to bankrupt.

http://theboombox.com/master-p-forced-into-bankruptcy-court-over-240-000/

Sorry Master P!

Paul McCartney is also on the short list of world's most expensive divorces though, so bad with money.

Former NFL player Chad Johnson has been rolling around in a Smart car (even when he was playing), and buys his "diamond" jewelry at Claire's.
I remember him saying in an interview that he bought the $15 fake ones because people know who he is, and just assumes anyway that they're real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I found this link which is both celebrity gossip and good financial advice so I enjoyed reading it quite a bit.

http://www.moneycrashers.com/cheap-frugal-celebrities/

Contrasts delightfully with Master P, who went from being worth an estimated $600M to bankrupt.

http://theboombox.com/master-p-forced-into-bankruptcy-court-over-240-000/

Sorry Master P!

Master P was never actually broke and is currently battling with his ex wife over hundreds of millions of dollars in real estate and business assets. Not paying people you owe money and cycling yourself and various business entities though bankruptcy courts is a time honored strategy for extremely wealthy people to avoid honoring debts.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
I work in a pretty restaurant-crowded area, and new restaurants are constantly popping up due to others failing and closing. I know restaurants are horrible investments, but reading this today.. ugh.

quote:

Brenda Samet, who owns the Rankin Street Deli, opened the new place for her 20-year-old son, Jonathan, who likes to cook. “He was always interested in cooking, always in the kitchen,” remembered Samet. “He is going to make a good husband someday.”

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
:siren: Personal BWM alert :siren:

Buying resale concert tickets, seeing better tickets a few weeks later for less, buy the second pair convincing yourself the first will sell at a slight loss, which of course they never do. :cry:

On a side note, anyone in Pittsburgh like the red hot chili peppers :10bux:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Master P was never actually broke and is currently battling with his ex wife over hundreds of millions of dollars in real estate and business assets. Not paying people you owe money and cycling yourself and various business entities though bankruptcy courts is a time honored strategy for extremely wealthy people to avoid honoring debts.

This is an incredible revelation. I hope he succeeds. Hundreds of millions of assets is the best kind of bankrupt.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

KingSlime posted:

I love beer and weed but voodoo donuts is like if someone let my 4 year old nephew go hog wild with his "designs" on a box of assorted donuts (we have a chain out here in Portland Cowboy Edition). One of their offerings is literally a creme-filled donut with bits of Capn Crunch slathered on the top.

Marketing haphazardly-thrown together desserts to the drunk, stoned locals and tourists is very GWM, come to think of it

I tried one of the cereal doughnuts once (I think the one with Cocoa Pebbles on top because I love chocolate) and the cereal was stale. Maybe Cocoa Pebbles always tastes stale since I very rarely eat cereal but it wasn't good at all.

It's GWM because it appeals to exactly who you describe, I don't think anyone else goes to Voodoo. Their downtown location (near drunk/stoned locals and tourists) is always packed with a line out the door. But they have, or used to have, a location in the east part of town far in a middle-class neighborhood, and whenever I've been there's no line.

EDIT: They also have oreo doughnuts for VVVVV

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Star Man posted:

If you're going to be bad with money, might as well go ham and buy dinosaur bones or have all of your pipes made of gold.

Are there any celebrities or rich people that spent their money on a giant death laser or something neat like that because you're not really living until you have a giant death laser

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KingSlime posted:

I love beer and weed but voodoo donuts is like if someone let my 4 year old nephew go hog wild with his "designs" on a box of assorted donuts (we have a chain out here in Portland Cowboy Edition). One of their offerings is literally a creme-filled donut with bits of Capn Crunch slathered on the top.

Marketing haphazardly-thrown together desserts to the drunk, stoned locals and tourists is very GWM, come to think of it

It's almost like Portland is full of adult children or something :crossarms:

Jan 11, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

Are there any celebrities or rich people that spent their money on a giant death laser or something neat like that because you're not really living until you have a giant death laser

not exactly but Johnny Depp did spend.over $5MM to launch Hunter S. Thompson's ashes out of a cannon

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

monster on a stick posted:

I tried one of the cereal doughnuts once (I think the one with Cocoa Pebbles on top because I love chocolate) and the cereal was stale. Maybe Cocoa Pebbles always tastes stale since I very rarely eat cereal but it wasn't good at all.

Cocoa (and Fruity) Pebbles always taste stale until you add milk.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Okay stealing dinosaur bones for reckless celebrities sounds like an awesome gig. Career 2 here I come.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

howdoesishotweb posted:

Buying resale concert tickets, seeing better tickets a few weeks later for less, buy the second pair convincing yourself the first will sell at a slight loss, which of course they never do. :cry:

you deserve it for buying rhcp tickets in tyool 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

not exactly but Johnny Depp did spend.over $5MM to launch Hunter S. Thompson's ashes out of a cannon

That was for the whole party which was a huge gala, the actual cannon part didn't cost that much

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

That was for the whole party which was a huge gala, the actual cannon part didn't cost that much

I'm not a huge Hunter Thompson fan, but he doesn't strike me as the type who would have wanted a $5M celebrity gala for his funeral. Unless having big celebrity galas is the new counterculture movement.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

I'm not a huge Hunter Thompson fan, but he doesn't strike me as the type who would have wanted a $5M celebrity gala for his funeral. Unless having big celebrity galas is the new counterculture movement.

Pretty sure the cannon part was part of his wishes but his estate wasn't able to do it for some reason, hence Depp stepping in. Don't know about the gala part.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think it depends on how much drugs, alcohol, and explosives there were.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Pretty sure the cannon part was part of his wishes but his estate wasn't able to do it for some reason, hence Depp stepping in. Don't know about the gala part.

Yeah he left explicit designs and instructions for the cannon he wanted to be launched out of, dictating its design (a hand gripping a peyote button, the extended middle finger was the cannon barrel) and exactly how it should fire, but he didn't have the money to actually do it when he died so Johnny Depp, being a long-time friend, did it for him :unsmith:

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Here's a good one: http://gizmodo.com/reddit-users-lose-real-money-after-meme-currency-bot-di-1795125165

quote:

Another day, another cryptocurrency clusterfuck. This week, the creator of the tipping bot “dogetipbot”—a service that let Reddit users “tip” each other in Dogecoin—announced that his company is broke, he’s broke, and the bot is broke because he spent all the coins, after he himself ran out of money.

quote:

“With $500 in the bank account, all of my personal funds spent, and all of my personal credit cards maxed out to pay for the business, I had to make a case to potential investors as to why cryptocurrency tipping wasn’t going anywhere and why they should back us,” Mohland wrote. After he ran out of his own money, he “made the decision to cash out the cold storage funds”, meaning secretly using customer funds and stealing the users’ coins in an attempt to keep the dream of cryptocurrency tipping alive.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

It's GWM because it appeals to exactly who you describe, I don't think anyone else goes to Voodoo. Their downtown location (near drunk/stoned locals and tourists) is always packed with a line out the door. But they have, or used to have, a location in the east part of town far in a middle-class neighborhood, and whenever I've been there's no line.

EDIT: They also have oreo doughnuts for VVVVV

GWM they used to have 5 gallon buckets of donuts that didn't sell at the end of the day for $5 great for buying for clubs and poo poo at university.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

canyoneer posted:

Former NFL player Chad Johnson has been rolling around in a Smart car (even when he was playing), and buys his "diamond" jewelry at Claire's.

Ocho once led a phalanx of Priuses down a highway in Boston.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Doctors' offices are very bad with other people's money. Actually almost everything about health care is BWM.

Wife went in with knee pain from running. They say "We really want to give you an MRI, but the insurance companies usually want you to get an x-ray before they authorize that. We'll give you an x-ray even though there is basically no chance it will show us what the problem is" so they send her down the hall to get an x-ray. I asked how much the x-rays would cost and nobody had any idea. I called the insurance company and they said "nope, no need for an x-ray, you can get the MRI". So we cancel the x-ray and they schedule an MRI at a nearby hospital. After an hour on the phone somebody at the hospital is finally able to tell us the MRI will be $800. Call a clinic in the suburbs and they agree to do the same drat thing for $300. So office is basically screwing everyone who they refer for an MRI out of $500 for no reason because they don't check the prices. And nobody in the entire industry will ever tell you the sticker price of anything without a fight.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Yeah he left explicit designs and instructions for the cannon he wanted to be launched out of, dictating its design (a hand gripping a peyote button, the extended middle finger was the cannon barrel) and exactly how it should fire, but he didn't have the money to actually do it when he died so Johnny Depp, being a long-time friend, did it for him :unsmith:

I think that was the best use of $5m in history. It was GWM. All the other poo poo Depp has been doing is crazy BWM, including hiring his dodgy lawyer/account/dickheads.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Doctors' offices are very bad with other people's money. Actually almost everything about health care is BWM.

Wife went in with knee pain from running. They say "We really want to give you an MRI, but the insurance companies usually want you to get an x-ray before they authorize that. We'll give you an x-ray even though there is basically no chance it will show us what the problem is" so they send her down the hall to get an x-ray. I asked how much the x-rays would cost and nobody had any idea. I called the insurance company and they said "nope, no need for an x-ray, you can get the MRI". So we cancel the x-ray and they schedule an MRI at a nearby hospital. After an hour on the phone somebody at the hospital is finally able to tell us the MRI will be $800. Call a clinic in the suburbs and they agree to do the same drat thing for $300. So office is basically screwing everyone who they refer for an MRI out of $500 for no reason because they don't check the prices. And nobody in the entire industry will ever tell you the sticker price of anything without a fight.

To be fair a lot of insurance is really loving picky about MRI's since they're more expensive than other scans, but yeah that's bullshit.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

howdoesishotweb posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sorry dude, I don't have a direct line back to 1996.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah he managed to gently caress up the tried and true bitcoin formula by taking all the money and not running away with it, instead sinking it into the obviously worthless business of "meme penny shavings tip bot."

Also he somehow had employees to pay :psyduck:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Part of the problem is the hospital's overhead on patients who can't pay. Suburban clinics just won't take those patients.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

you deserve it for buying rhcp tickets in tyool 2017

Mother's Milk was their best album, Californication was a marginally adequate apology for the abortion that was One Hot Minute, and they haven't released a good album since.

BWM is the notorious dickhead CEO of Lululemon, Chip Wilson, paying $1 million to have the peppers play at his birthday party.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

From r/financialindependence, here's a good example of the challenges of maintaining discipline in a volatile stock market:

quote:

Happened to friends of ours. They weren't necessarily living the "FIRE" lifestyle (retired to a farm, built a nice custom house, had animals which required expensive upkeep, etc.) but they were fully retired and living their dream life in their mid-50s. Then they freaked out during the initial dot-com bust and sold all their stocks at just about the worst possible time. Lost about half of their savings, but still had enough to make retirement work if they scrimped a little.

Then came 2008, and they had put their money in the hands of a "trusted advisor" after the original fiasco... that guy was shady as gently caress, and had put them into all kinds of high-risk schemes (plus high management fees) which all fell to poo poo during the 2008-2009 crash. They AGAIN panicked and sold everything, and were down to about 10-15% of their original savings.

Sold the farm, gave away the animals, and now they're in their early 70s... living in a run-down rental built in 1910 without proper air conditioning in the deep south. He's working at Tractor Supply, and she's selling junk at the local flea markets on weekends to help pay the bills. Oh, and testicular cancer on top of all of that.

Their story is literally like 90% of what keeps me pushing for FI. It is my absolute nightmare to be in their position.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

That's more like a horror story than BWM :(

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Maybe something more like the general dumb with money will help:

quote:

I got scammed out of $1000 dollars from a fake ebay ad on craigslist and i'm broke. (self.personalfinance)

All in all it was a cash deal that went wrong and the FBI has been involved and they said i'm not getting my cash back. I don't have to pay any bills thankfully, but what the hell do I do now PF? Is there anyone to tell or inform of?

:stare:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I don't think I'll ever be able to wrap my head around people blowing huge fortunes. And I say that despite being hugely irresponsible with money. Back a couple years ago when the Powerball (or w/e lottery it was) jackpot got astronomically high I sat down and had a good, hard think about what I'd do with that kind of money and honestly I couldn't even come up with enough frivolous things to wipe out even the first annuity payment.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Noctone posted:

I don't think I'll ever be able to wrap my head around people blowing huge fortunes. And I say that despite being hugely irresponsible with money. Back a couple years ago when the Powerball (or w/e lottery it was) jackpot got astronomically high I sat down and had a good, hard think about what I'd do with that kind of money and honestly I couldn't even come up with enough frivolous things to wipe out even the first annuity payment.

Don't worry that's what friends and family and 3rd cousins are for.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Noctone posted:

It reminds me of one of the ways I make a billion dollars relatable to people. Imagine one of the most expensive cars you can own, a new Lamborghini at around $400,000, which is as much as people's mortgages if not several times that.

You drive it for a week. At the end of the week, you push it off a cliff.

You could do it again the next week, and the next.

You could do it every week for forty eight years and still have enough for four more cars.

It's an insane amount of money. Like the guy that lost multiple briefcases of money and rolled his tricked-out van, to lose that much in a lifetime you'd have to have "spent the rest of it foolishly."

(Yes yes taxes and interest and inflation and yadda yadda it's an illustration ok)

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

DarkHorse posted:

It reminds me of one of the ways I make a billion dollars relatable to people. Imagine one of the most expensive cars you can own, a new Lamborghini at around $400,000, which is as much as people's mortgages if not several times that.

You could do it every week for forty eight years and still have enough for four more cars.

It's an insane amount of money. Like the guy that lost multiple briefcases of money and rolled his tricked-out van, to lose that much in a lifetime you'd have to have "spent the rest of it foolishly."

(Yes yes taxes and interest and inflation and yadda yadda it's an illustration ok)

I was thinking buying 18 various sports/luxury cars and having the world's most expensive demolition derby myself...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

The Koch brothers have enough money that they could spend their entire lives partying with the best champagne and personal chefs and finest hookers in a different exotic location every day, including the goddamn space station, and still leave an inheritance large enough for their entire family line to do the same thing for at least 10 generations to come.

They instead spend their time and money on making more money and convincing poor people to vote in ways that get them more money at the expense of basically everything else.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 12, 2017

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

The Koch brothers have enough money that they could spend their entire lives partying with the best champagne and personal chefs and finest hookers in a different exotic location every day, including the goddamn space station, and still leave an inheritance large enough for their entire family line to do the same thing for at least 10 generations to come.

They instead spend their time and money on making more money and convincing poor people to vote in ways that get them more money at the expense of basically everything else.
Power is a hell of a drug.

Jan 11, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

No, if you were earning even very modest returns on $1B your trifling $20MM a year Lamborghini habit would never even come close to running you dry.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

That's exactly what these fucks do when they know they can afford any material product, they go for what doesn't have a real price tag and that's power and influence to change things to be the way they want them to be.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

That's exactly what these fucks do when they know they can afford any material product, they go for what doesn't have a real price tag and that's power and influence to change things to be the way they want them to be.

This is what I've never even come close to understanding because every insane massive tax cut they ever try to ram through is some tiny 3% of their net earnings that year. It's like every scumfuck pile of poo poo billionaire is a sad poopsocking WoW player circa 2006 trying to get some item that will boost some dumb stat by that 3% but in real life, and we all get hosed as a result.

And there are also plenty of billionaires that at least are giving most of it away on their death because they are not literally greed incarnate and just for some reason really enjoy amassing wealth while they're alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

#liveyourpassion #minimalism #experiencesnotpossessions

e: a repugnant snipe! I'm looking for content.

e2: I love the laconic despair of this one:

My mom has 250k sitting in a CD getting .06%. Help.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 12, 2017