Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dodoman posted:

It only does that if you use the back key to leave the app since it ends the program. If you leave via the home key it just suspends it.
to an android user this is considered more intuitive and well-documented than double-tapping the home icon to get to the task switcher on ios

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

anthonypants posted:

to an android user this is considered more intuitive and well-documented than double-tapping the home icon to get to the task switcher on ios

Android task switcher has an omnipresent task switcher button and the omnipresent back and home buttons imply the process will run in the background when hitting home; you'd use back to exit otherwise

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

anthonypants posted:

if you say so

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Dodoman posted:

It only does that if you use the back key to leave the app since it ends the program.

what

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Android is simply the best looking easiest to use most intuitive mobile operation system and this is born out by it's worldwide market share

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Blue Train posted:

Android is simply the best looking easiest to use most intuitive mobile operation system and this is born out by it's worldwide market share

actually, it's born exclusively out of poverty and autism

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

mishaq posted:

This is a proven formula that works just look at San Francisco

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

mishaq posted:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

what

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

android

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Apparently people in this thread use a strange version of Android where the back button behavior is always consistent and not the common version of Android where sometimes the back button boots you to the OS home screen and sometimes it takes you to the app's main screen.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
a poorly coded application will do that

so most android apps

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lol that ios users cant understand the back button and android users cant understand the only button in ios

i know what side im on b/c until reading this thread i didnt know ios had a task switcher at all

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

you just hit the button twice, but you dont even need to use it! its great

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

i really hate will smith and his dumb face and voice and opinions and i'm glad he broke his phone, i think it's good

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

how do you crush a phone that's in your front pocket (which is what i'm assuming is described in this tweet). like, just how... are his fat rolls reinforced concrete ?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pierogi posted:

how do you crush a phone that's in your front pocket (which is what i'm assuming is described in this tweet). like, just how... are his fat rolls reinforced concrete ?

i keep my caseless pixel xl in my front pocket and its pristine ofc im not morbidly obese and i wear clothes that fit so

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

cut myself on the pieces
there is a headphone port

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sereri posted:

cut myself on the pieces

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

getting to be annoying how little value seems to be placed in phones being reasonably sturdy. i will admit that i no doubt *could* be more careful, but it has been easier peace of mind to just buy stuff like nokias back when they were a thing (still on the lumia 950, which also appears to be largely indestructible)

one of those areas where not even apple is doing that well, though they are no worse than the typical android phone

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

getting to be annoying how little value seems to be placed in phones being reasonably sturdy. i will admit that i no doubt *could* be more careful, but it has been easier peace of mind to just buy stuff like nokias back when they were a thing (still on the lumia 950, which also appears to be largely indestructible)

one of those areas where not even apple is doing that well, though they are no worse than the typical android phone

if you care about such things youre using a case already

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ah, well, there we rather have it, in that i find cases are largely universally ugly. i do, granted, have a mozo back on the 950, but that is already pushing it a bit as far as i am concerned

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

when one side is all glass youre kind of limited in the options available either you build the phone in such a way that a case is unnecessary making it look p. bad in the process or you make the phone nice looking and pleasant to hold and let those who care about durability over aesthetics cover it up

im not sure theres another choice

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Replace the glass with lab grown diamond

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

Replace the glass with lab grown diamond

whatever happened to the sapphire they were going to use to one-up gorilla glass?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

sapphire? i barely knew her!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

syscall girl posted:

whatever happened to the sapphire they were going to use to one-up gorilla glass?

the company that said they could make it in volume couldn't actually make it in volume.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also sapphire is extremely hard but also just as brittle as regular glass, in thin sheets

it wouldn't scratch but it would shatter just fine

anyway bring back clamshell phones

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

they're using it on certain apple watch models. putting a thing in a lower-volume item before spinning it to a higher-volume item is pretty normal for apple, but who knows if they can find enough companies to actually produce enough

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sereri posted:

cut myself on the pieces

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

what happened to panzer glass

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lol its a real thing, i thought we made it up as kids in the 80s

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Powaqoatse posted:

what happened to panzer glass
gorillas are stronger than panzers

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

anthonypants posted:

gorillas are stronger than panzers

i dont think so

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

according to my 6 year old self, anything panzer is the strongest

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
so i ended up buying another android phone, and it's okay. i ended up getting paid $20 to buy it, and it isn't awful and it makes and receives telephone calls.

so I guess i did it, i'm the android champion

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

angry_keebler posted:

i ended up getting paid $20 to buy it, and it isn't awful and it makes and receives telephone calls.

linux is free if your time is worthless. android proving your time can have negative value.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

is it a panzer android though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

The Management posted:

linux is free if your time is worthless. android proving your time can have negative value.

yeah it's real bad

i wish apple would decide to make good phones again, but then this is the dark cyberpunk timeline so i guess lol bring on the cheap chinese hand decks

• Locked thread