Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If I remember correctly, in ADB's first book Cadian Blood there's a commissar from another world who gets attached to a Cadian regiment and tries to do commissar things, and they pretty much just murder him nonchalantly and go on with their business.

I really do need to get around to reading that one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cadian Blood is ADB's weakest book by a pretty big margin imo, but I'll always love it for making Cadian Fleshtone canon

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

It's not uncommon to have unpopular officers from being shot in the back in the heat of battle.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vadoc posted:

It's not uncommon to have unpopular officers from being shot in the back in the heat of battle.

"Keep a stubber around. You wouldn't want a dead commissar turning up with laser burns."

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I'm working my way through the Grey Knights books now. Currently on Dark Adeptus. It's not as good as the first one so far.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

pubic works project posted:

I'm working my way through the Grey Knights books now. Currently on Dark Adeptus. It's not as good as the first one so far.

The first Grey Knights book is probably the best effort from a not very good author in Ben Counter, but 2 and 3 in that series are really bad. Turn back now.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I recall that Kowle went out in a sufficiently badass manner to excuse his earlier assholery.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The first Grey Knights book is probably the best effort from a not very good author in Ben Counter, but 2 and 3 in that series are really bad. Turn back now.

I've come this far. I must go on.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I feel like Counter writes chaos really well

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Agentdark posted:

Somewhat true, though never forget he did the Soul Drinkers series. Also The Battle for the Abyss

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Agentdark posted:

That's true, and you actually just reminded me of Daemon World, which his actual best book and on the top shelf of weird-rear end 40k.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Ghargatuloth is a really cool dude, drat those meddling greyknights.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If I remember correctly, in ADB's first book Cadian Blood there's a commissar from another world who gets attached to a Cadian regiment and tries to do commissar things, and they pretty much just murder him nonchalantly and go on with their business.

Heck, GW used to support it on tabletop with Catachans (AKA the guys from Planet Rambo); early on they had a rule called "Oops, sorry Sir!" where you rolled to see if their commissar units got killed before the fight started. So "kill the bastard commissar" is a known thing to the Guard.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I'm a pretty peaceful guy, I've never even fired a gun. If humanity was being attacked by some of the nasties from WH40K I'd be down by the local recruitment office tomorrow.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Read through the Night Lords trilogy. I really liked the mood throughout the books, with the Night Lords characterized as these bitter fuckups who all dislike or outright hate each other but still there's this sense of brotherhood and loyalty between them. It really feels like a perverse hosed up equivalent of the noble, shining loyalist space marines. The hall of screams was a great concept, hilariously evil. Didn't like the final ending in the third book, too upbeat with Decimus uniting the legion imo.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Has Sandy Mitchell stopped writing for BL? Like the last Cain book that was released was the greater good like 2-3 years ago right?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sandweed posted:

I'm a pretty peaceful guy, I've never even fired a gun. If humanity was being attacked by some of the nasties from WH40K I'd be down by the local recruitment office tomorrow.

Oops too bad about that, the guard station you applied at was actually a Tzeentchian cult and now you are being tossed into an infinite maze that is constantly changing shape.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Syncopated posted:

Didn't like the final ending in the third book, too upbeat with Decimus uniting the legion imo.
I don't see how it'd feel particularly upbeat when it's strongly implied that Variel managed to hunt down Septimus and Octavia in the end and take their child from them. It didn't seem like Talos would have wanted that.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I only hope he left Octavia and Septimus be afterward :(

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Syncopated posted:

Read through the Night Lords trilogy. I really liked the mood throughout the books, with the Night Lords characterized as these bitter fuckups who all dislike or outright hate each other but still there's this sense of brotherhood and loyalty between them. It really feels like a perverse hosed up equivalent of the noble, shining loyalist space marines. The hall of screams was a great concept, hilariously evil. Didn't like the final ending in the third book, too upbeat with Decimus uniting the legion imo.

How is that upbeat? The Night Lords want to hang human skins from every lamp post in the galaxy and usher in an endless nightmare of obedience through fear.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I think it's almost implied that the Night Lords took the kid and shoved a gene-seed in him to become Decimus. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Edit: Beat to it.

On the flip side, I finally finished the Gaunt's Ghosts books that I had. I'm now working my way through the Horus Heresy. Does anybody else feel bad for the Thousand Sons?

Moose_Knuck fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 12, 2017

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Uncle w Benefits posted:

There's no way.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Moose_Knuck posted:

I think it's almost implied that the Night Lords took the kid and shoved a gene-seed in him to become Decimus. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

On the flip side, I finally finished the Gaunt's Ghosts books that I had. I'm now working my way through the Horus Heresy. Does anybody else feel bad for the Thousand Sons?

I feel bad for the Suns and the Wolves.

Also the Death Guard and Iron hands as they never really got a novel

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Waroduce posted:

I feel bad for the Suns and the Wolves.

Also the Death Guard and Iron hands as they never really got a novel

You're supposed to feel bad for the sons but it's hinted at pretty heavily they were messing around with powers they didn't understand and were basically a ticking time bomb of warp bad times.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Zasze posted:

You're supposed to feel bad for the sons but it's hinted at pretty heavily they were messing around with powers they didn't understand and were basically a ticking time bomb of warp bad times.

They didn't knoooowwww mannnnn Big E should warned a brother.

poo poo they got did dirty, but I'm sure if E was like ya'll fuckin around with some srsly bad poo poo let me explain instead of just going CAUSE I SAID SO we might still have the webway

Were the sons present on Terra in any serious force?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Waroduce posted:

They didn't knoooowwww mannnnn Big E should warned a brother.

poo poo they got did dirty, but I'm sure if E was like ya'll fuckin around with some srsly bad poo poo let me explain instead of just going CAUSE I SAID SO we might still have the webway

Were the sons present on Terra in any serious force?

Depends on which retcon we're talking about. In the current retcon the Sons including Demon Prince Magnus were at the Siege of Terra.

Originally they weren't at the Siege. But HH screwed up the timelines something fierce so who knows anymore.

And don't feel bad for the Space Wolves. The Sons got tricked and hosed by Chaos into being traitors. Most of them still don't worship Chaos.

The Space Wolves on the other hand are chaos worshiping chaos spawn with body hair who fell for the most blatant and obvious "trick" ever and killed the Emperor's Webway plan.

Only Magnus and Horus has the psychic mojo to sit on the throne. Horus was corrupt so when they tried to kill Magnus they ended the Webway plan.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Moose_Knuck posted:

It's exactly what happened.

One of the Night Lord warband leaders comments how ancient his geneseed smells, but his body is that of a babe. Then he says his name is Decius.

ADB has gone on the record to say he hates explaining the ending. He takes a higher road and implies it's because no author likes to do that, but he really means that it's fukken obvious what happened.

AndyElusive posted:

There's no way.

I don't know, Variel seemed sort of pragmatic and not one to indulge in needless bloodlust or killing. In the sickbay of the Red Corsairs we see him warn a wounded CSM to not touch him, and only after the CSM fails to heed does Variel cut his arm off, but then instructs the servitors to prep him for an augmetic. Variel could have just cornered them, said GIVE IT or I'll stitch your faces into a loin cloth, and they did.

It's not like they couldn't make more :giggity:

Zasze posted:

Just as Emps made them! That entire chapter could have been saved if Big Eddie had just said 'OK, Magnus, here is the warp and my understanding of it. My mastery over it is greater than yours, so make sure you don't stretch too far, and you can among the greatest psykers in the material realm.'

But no, he kept telling him and the 1K Sons not to use their innate abilities, and what the heck do you think will happen when you tell your kids NOT to do something without more reasoning than BECAUSE I SAID SO.

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 12, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
There is section in master of mankind where the emperor gets called out over it and he basically says "Those fuckers totally knew what they were doing and that the warp was hosed or else they were really really dumb" in regards the primarchs and chaos/the warp and outlines a few examples. Ill try to find the relevant passage.

Here:

Think on this, then. I prepared them all, this pantheon of proud godlings that insist they are my heirs. I warned them of the warp’s perils. Coupled with this, they knew of those dangers themselves. The Imperium has relied on Navigators to sail the stars and astropaths to communicate between worlds since the empire’s very first breath. The Imperium itself is only possible because of those enduring souls. No void sailor or psychically touched soul can help but know of the warp’s insidious predation. Ships have always been lost during their unstable journeys. Astropaths have always suffered for their powers. Navigators have always seen horrors swimming through those strange tides. I commanded the cessation of Legion Librarius divisions as a warning against the unrestrained use of psychic power. One of our most precious technologies, the Geller field, exists to shield vessels from the warp’s corrosive touch. These are not secrets, Ra, nor mystical lore known only to a select few. Even possession by warp-wrought beings is not unknown. The Sixteenth witnessed it with his own eyes long before he convinced his kindred to walk a traitor’s path with him.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 12, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I haven't started Blood Reaver yet, but how do the Red Corsair fare in their presentation? Are they treated as mooks or are they represented as the crazy all comers badass pirates they should be? Written with a healthy dose of Night Lords arrogance of course. I take it ADB didn't hold a high opinion of the Black Legion when he wrote the first Night Lords book

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Not so much he didn't have a high opinion but the Night Lords didn't. Abnett does a good job of portraying the world as the characters see it. The Red Corsairs do not come across overly well in Talos'telling but the crazy, take all types fuckery is definitely there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are they marines only or does it delve into their penchant for picking up mercenaries and the odd xenos as well?

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Telsa Cola posted:

There is section in master of mankind where the emperor gets called out over it and he basically says "Those fuckers totally knew what they were doing and that the warp was hosed or else they were really really dumb" in regards the primarchs and chaos/the warp and outlines a few examples. Ill try to find the relevant passage.

Here:

Think on this, then. I prepared them all, this pantheon of proud godlings that insist they are my heirs. I warned them of the warp’s perils. Coupled with this, they knew of those dangers themselves. The Imperium has relied on Navigators to sail the stars and astropaths to communicate between worlds since the empire’s very first breath. The Imperium itself is only possible because of those enduring souls. No void sailor or psychically touched soul can help but know of the warp’s insidious predation. Ships have always been lost during their unstable journeys. Astropaths have always suffered for their powers. Navigators have always seen horrors swimming through those strange tides. I commanded the cessation of Legion Librarius divisions as a warning against the unrestrained use of psychic power. One of our most precious technologies, the Geller field, exists to shield vessels from the warp’s corrosive touch. These are not secrets, Ra, nor mystical lore known only to a select few. Even possession by warp-wrought beings is not unknown. The Sixteenth witnessed it with his own eyes long before he convinced his kindred to walk a traitor’s path with him.

I like how he refers to magnus as the sixteenth, and not his name. Emperor really didn't give a squirt of piss about any of them.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Here:

loving told.

Also, the Emperor calling Magnus "The Sixteenth" makes sense because he only recieved that name after he was raised on Prospero.

And besides, The Emperor calls Magnus by his name to his immaterial face at the start of MoM anyway.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I like how he refers to magnus as the sixteenth, and not his name. Emperor really didn't give a squirt of piss about any of them.

Hours is the 16th, magnus is 15th. I had to look that up because I was pretty sure magnus did not convert any primarchs.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Uncle w Benefits posted:

He sure as hell growls his name when he breaks the throne.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Also "with his own eyes" which wouldn't apply to the one-eyed primarch, would it?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
His first eye and his... third eye? Second eye? Whichever one is magic anyways.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I haven't started Blood Reaver yet, but how do the Red Corsair fare in their presentation? Are they treated as mooks or are they represented as the crazy all comers badass pirates they should be?

They're treated by contempt by the Night Lords but Talos is well aware that their forces and empire are basically only matched by the Black Legion. They're not nooks, but tbh you don't get to spend much time with them, save for Huron himself

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Moose_Knuck posted:

Xae posted:

The Sons got tricked and hosed by Chaos into being traitors. Most of them still don't worship Chaos.
The Thousand Sons willingly continued dealing with magic and the warp after the Emperor strictly forbade it. Their hubris was their downfall, so they brought it upon themselves. Yes, they're a tragic tale (as are all the fallen legions,) but they are directly to blame for their situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Has Sandy Mitchell stopped writing for BL? Like the last Cain book that was released was the greater good like 2-3 years ago right?

The last Cain thing released was the audio book "The Devil you know" back in 2014. Which I think was during the time where GW management meddled too much in BL and he got tired of that. Because he's still writing stuff under his real name.

Who knows, with Abnett making a return to 40k again we might see more Cain the future. But at the same time I'm not increasing my expectations much.