Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

June 16-18 at Thunderbolt. And that's exactly what I'm afraid of happening to me.

I'll be there, see you there.

What car are you driving? I'm new to car-trackdays but done tons on bikes. Happy to show you around and help as needed.

Passing corvettes is fun!! (which is why I'm so far offline)

Edit: You're doing all 3 days!? Dude you're gonna be BEAT haha

Blaise fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'll be in a Focus RS being real slow. Also volunteering the first two days and driving Sunday.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

I'll be in a Focus RS being real slow. Also volunteering the first two days and driving Sunday.

Volunteering?

Cmon sign up for 2 days. Do it do it do it do it :)

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

There's a volunteer program where you work the first two days, you get to drive the third day of the weekend free or you can bank the time to get a whole event in for free. I have to do it this way so my fiancé won't kill me.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
I'll be there on the Saturday. Who has a car that will actually work 3 days in a row anyway?

#45 WRX STi, come say hello while I burn the gently caress out of myself trying to fix it while it is hot.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Stock miata, could probably track it 20 days in a row. and not change tires or brakes. hahah.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 10, 2017

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
The miata guys always look like they are having the most fun while I am fixing the power steering for the 100th time of the day.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Roman Rambo posted:

The miata guys always look like they are having the most fun while I am fixing the power steering for the 100th time of the day.

What goes wrong with the PS? My buddy is bringing his '05 WRX as well. I figured he'd just need pads and fluid, otherwise good to go (has RS3s).

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
I have a rotated turbo and reversed intake manifold front mount intercooler so my PS reservoir was relocated and replaced with the shittiest possible reservoir. The fluid aerates and superheats, sometimes this kills the return line too. I've just replaced the bad reservoir with a fancy one and this will be its first track day. The steering feel and improved functionality of the system during normal use has me hopeful that the problem will have gone away.

On stock PS reservoir the most I've seen is maybe some fluid boiling out of the top.

edit: if he is fast, especially with sticky tires, have him keep more than 1/2 tank of fuel. Below 1/2 tank I used to get fuel starvation in hard turns.

Roman Rambo fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 10, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Roman Rambo posted:

WRX STi, come say hello while I burn the gently caress out of myself trying to fix it while it is hot.

This was my life for so many years. I'm surprised I don't have permanent brake rotor marks on the insides of my forearms.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
If you find your PS reservoir boiling over, just get a flush and use a higher temp fluid. Mine only ever starting boiling when I did autocross as opposed to proper track days, but I've done a few since with the higher temp RedLine stuff and it hasn't happened since.

Also yes, keep your gas tank at least half full if you can. Fuel starvation is bad.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Gigi Galli posted:

If you find your PS reservoir boiling over, just get a flush and use a higher temp fluid. Mine only ever starting boiling when I did autocross as opposed to proper track days, but I've done a few since with the higher temp RedLine stuff and it hasn't happened since.

Also yes, keep your gas tank at least half full if you can. Fuel starvation is bad.

Just don't do autocross imo.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

mekilljoydammit posted:

I was never too keen on the idea of the head/neck thingies that go behind your back and strap on... seems more awkward.

It's essential. It barely limits your head movement. And the benefits in a crash are immense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40YatgE_CE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj95GuL3HH8

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Ziploc posted:

It's essential. It barely limits your head movement. And the benefits in a crash are immense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40YatgE_CE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj95GuL3HH8

... compared to a HANS which sits on your shoulder, I guess I should have been more clear. I have a HANS and find it completely inoffensive, ones like http://www.ogracing.com/simpson-fia-hybrid-head-and-neck-restraint look uncomfortable.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Really it's not less comfortable than a HANS.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

mekilljoydammit posted:

... compared to a HANS which sits on your shoulder, I guess I should have been more clear. I have a HANS and find it completely inoffensive, ones like http://www.ogracing.com/simpson-fia-hybrid-head-and-neck-restraint look uncomfortable.

Aaaaaaaa gently caress. I misread.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I might switch from a HANS to something like that. The part in the back of a HANS that sticks up seriously fucks up quick egress in a caged Miata.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Since we're talking about HANS, I'll share this deal I took advantage of recently:

http://www.murraymotorsport.com/products/super-sport-xlt-series-protec-hans-device-20-degree

Basically a HANS III made under license by Schroth. Half the price of a Hans III. $20 and 1 week for shipping to the US.
They also regularly have 10% off coupons around holidays, so you can get it all in for $300.

I also picked up a SoloDL and SmartyCamHD for prices I've never seen anything close to here in the US.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:eyepop: that price is almost tgtbt

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

:eyepop: that price is almost tgtbt

It's legit, I've already received the order.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I note that if you poke around, a real HANS III is the same price from that seller (not that I have any ojection to the Scroth one) I suspect it's one of those things where Brexit is loving exchange rates up, people can't revise the UKP price so the dollar price ends up temporarily small. Or something like that.

Which is to say, good find.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

mekilljoydammit posted:

I note that if you poke around, a real HANS III is the same price from that seller (not that I have any ojection to the Scroth one)

The guy who pointed this deal out to me tried that, but was told they can't ship the HANS-branded units to the US because of marketing restrictions. You'll have to "settle" for the Schroth if you want the deal.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Huh. Well, six of one, half dozen of the other, I guess - makes sense overall. I guess I was trying to speak to the "this is better than that because it's cheaper or more expensive" aspect. My dad found an older HANS Pro (or whatever they called it back then) with sliding tethers and even though it's taller than the newer ones I haven't had any trouble.

Of course, because I'm a weird mutant that barely fits in the race car and we had to pull the seat cover off the Ultrashield seat for my driver's school to get my helmet down enough, I feel like a hard thing on my back (like the Hybrid dealie) would suck. Maybe other people race cars with padding though, I dunno.

*quickedit* I should note that I have no doubt that the Simpson Hybrid ones are also safe. Also, it amuses me that one of the gentlemen behind the HANS is Jim Downing, an oldschool rotary road racer who's still at it in SCCA. Met him a few times, nice guy.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is everyone running an external GPS for Harry's Lap Timer, or is it not completely inconsistent using the built in iPhone one?

SlapActionJackson posted:

Since we're talking about HANS, I'll share this deal I took advantage of recently:

http://www.murraymotorsport.com/products/super-sport-xlt-series-protec-hans-device-20-degree

That's insane. I think I'll pull the trigger after some research.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
I used my phone in normal spot. Lap times seemed very consistent (slow).

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Is everyone running an external GPS for Harry's Lap Timer, or is it not completely inconsistent using the built in iPhone one?

I was never happy with Harry's. OK for casual video but when it lost the GPS fix it would attempt to interpolate data and you could never quite be sure what it showed you was accurate until it got really off and you were sure it was all wrong.

My next stop was AIM solo + gopro with manual overlay. Unlike Harry's the AIM solo is dead on reliable. This is a cost effective solution (Murray's has Solos cheap, I will be looking to sell my used one soon). Downside is that you have to post-process your videos to get the spiffy data overlay.

I'm currently getting set up with AIM SoloDL and SmartycamHD. A little more spendy, but you get the data overlay automatically on your videos, and I'm expecting the same "It just works" ease-of-use I get from the Solo.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Heh... maybe this is just me being a test engineer, but my brain keeps skipping over the "incorporate data and video into one thing" step. I guess I'm just used to squiggly lines?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hey blaise is back where did you end up going after you left everett/seattle?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

hey blaise is back where did you end up going after you left everett/seattle?

Went back to Philly for a few months.
Drove out to Alaska for a few months - legit.
Drove down west coast camping.
Spent a month in Thailand, then one month in Vietnam - yeah... that whole motorcycle across vietnam thing? People who think that's a good idea are nuts... (there's a thread on ADV)
Malaysia, Myanmar, Australia (meh, dont go there), New Zealand (definitely dont go there), Japan, korea, then back to California, camped a few more months.

Now I'm back in philly again. :lol: I have 2 jobs, 2 miatas, a motorcycle, a truck... and thinking about buying a daily so I can put race seats in the NA.

To stay on topic:

yayyyyyy

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Blaise posted:

Went back to Philly for a few months.
Drove out to Alaska for a few months - legit.
Drove down west coast camping.
Spent a month in Thailand, then one month in Vietnam - yeah... that whole motorcycle across vietnam thing? People who think that's a good idea are nuts... (there's a thread on ADV)
Malaysia, Myanmar, Australia (meh, dont go there), New Zealand (definitely dont go there), Japan, korea, then back to California, camped a few more months.

Now I'm back in philly again. :lol: I have 2 jobs, 2 miatas, a motorcycle, a truck... and thinking about buying a daily so I can put race seats in the NA.

To stay on topic:

yayyyyyy

You should host your stuff on imgur, photobucket doesn't use HTTPS and is thus broken every time

I know that corner though, I used to always brake too late there because when you get the previous one just right you have so much power going down that tiny straight.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Sorry, it shows on my end just fine and imgur is blocked at work :( I'll fix it later

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Can you run tires backwards on cars in dry conditions? I've done it on bikes...

I ask because the tires on the 15x8s I bought just happen to be more worn on the left side, and most of the tracks near me are right-handed. So I'd rather not end up with two bald and two 50% tires.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Blaise posted:

Can you run tires backwards on cars in dry conditions?

Yes.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I bought literally all my race gear from demontweeks in the UK and it was ~1800CAD (about 1300USD) with duty and shipping for the following:

-HANS Sport 2
-OMP First Evo Suit
-OMP First Evo Shoes
-OMP First Evo gloves
-Balaclava
-Socks
-FIA HANS posts

When I priced the suit locally it was $1000 for the same suit and $500 for the HANS, before tax.

A lot of guys on another forum have been ordering seats from murraymotorsport as well. Much better pricing.

On the data front, if you just want a basic overlay the garmin virb ultra 30 is pretty cool. 10hz GPS and BT support to pull data from ELM2 dongles. And all the overlay is done with their editing suite which is actually decent. I had to replace a gopro2 and it was an easy call to get the garmin over a new gopro for the same price.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
HANS talk: Has anyone tried a Necksgen? They look to be much more compact and comfortable.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I checked with my distributors today and was disappointed they don't have any hans devices. Could have sworn one of them had schroth and their thing looks decent. Kind of weird because they have seats, harnesses, suits, helmets, etc.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy

Joe Mama posted:

HANS talk: Has anyone tried a Necksgen? They look to be much more compact and comfortable.

I have one I use in my sprint car, and I love it, though it's the only head and neck restraint I've used, so I have nothing to compare it to. I did break a spindle last summer doing 100+ and flipped end over end in the air landing nose first and felt fine afterward, so if nothing else I trust it. It's comfortable, works well with my seat and belts, and is compact. Don't really have any drawbacks I've come across regarding it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

jamal posted:

I checked with my distributors today and was disappointed they don't have any hans devices. Could have sworn one of them had schroth and their thing looks decent. Kind of weird because they have seats, harnesses, suits, helmets, etc.

AIUI Schroth have the European license for HANS devices. The US ones are made by Simpson. (Just checked mine and it's a Simpson.)

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
After 18 months, 1 garbage motor, a ridiculous amount of rust repair, and a bunch of wiring problems we are almost ready with our first from scratch build. Hit VTEC for the first time ever with the second motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH9HenDkkUw

:feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Crustashio posted:

After 18 months, 1 garbage motor, a ridiculous amount of rust repair, and a bunch of wiring problems we are almost ready with our first from scratch build. Hit VTEC for the first time ever with the second motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH9HenDkkUw

A Volkswagen dealership is like the perfect place to do pulls. You're definitely sure you're never going to hit anyone.

e: is that a loving routan

e: e: the TL front end looks better than I could have imagined.