Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This story seems like it comes straight from Opie as damage control for when he's eventually given the boot. Sets up a "Howard Stern got me fired" or "the suits couldn't handle me" excuse. In reality the show probably doesn't have much of an audience anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

People itt are barely posting to make fun of it. It seems it's not just bad but pointless.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Snacksmaniac posted:

People itt are barely posting to make fun of it. It seems it's not just bad but pointless.

I can't listen to it. It's like trying to listen to Raditude by Weezer. It's just impossible.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Opie's show isn't bad, but I like Vic, Sharad Small, and the Mad Cuban who seem like they are on the show near every day. If I didn't find those three listenable I probably wouldn't be able to listen. Also, the show is way too self-congratulatory and stuck up about itself.

As for that article, it seems like bullshit aside from it being likely that Sirius won't renew Opie or vice versa. I doubt Howard would have much to do with getting Opie fired. Its more likely to be Opie's reported unwillingness to work with Sirius's negotiations and the fact that he refuses to toe the line when they give him instructions.

One thing I do like about Opie's show is his "cooking" rivalry with the Cuban where Opie continually makes really idiotic claims about his cooking and it enrages Carl to no end. The only problem is I am not sure how fake that bit is on Opie's side. Because if he really cooks like he says he does, he is even worse than I imagine.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

It's loving awful.

AxisofIdiocy
Mar 5, 2009

What do you mean this
isn't the ketchup?
Man I was thinking to myself the other day whether or not opie even has a show anymore, just because I haven't heard anyone talk about it for quite a while.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Victorkm posted:

The only problem is I am not sure how fake that bit is on Opie's side.

I don't think Opie has ever told the truth on air.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Victorkm posted:

Opie's show isn't bad

Stopped reading after these 4 words

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Victorkm posted:

One thing I do like about Opie's show is his "cooking" rivalry with the Cuban where Opie continually makes really idiotic claims about his cooking and it enrages Carl to no end. The only problem is I am not sure how fake that bit is on Opie's side. Because if he really cooks like he says he does, he is even worse than I imagine.

i dont listen to the show but i remember a few years ago roland and eric visited opie's beach house and opie made food and roland complained that he made really lovely steaks that he slathered in bbq sauce and then charred black on the grill

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The Destroyer of steak

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
But did roland poo poo on the beach?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Victorkm posted:

but I like Vic, Sharad Small,

I don't believe you

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Victorkm posted:

Opie's show isn't bad, but I like Vic, Sharad Small, and the Mad Cuban who seem like they are on the show near every day. If I didn't find those three listenable I probably wouldn't be able to listen. Also, the show is way too self-congratulatory and stuck up about itself.
Yeah those three carry it enough that I don't turn it off in the car unless it's mostly Opie or some boring rear end other guest. But I don't actively seek out any of the shows anymore which begs the question why the hell I still pay for it

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005
gently caress Opie forever.

but onto things that only partially suck: a long rear end time ago, Earl was doing on of those midnight shows on The Virus and he played Alex Chilton or someone doing a really punked up version of The Letter. it sounded phenomenal, and however much Earl sucks that poo poo has stuck with me for more than a decade, and I'm really loving annoyed I've never been able to find that version.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

blackmarketlimb posted:

but onto things that only partially suck: a long rear end time ago, Earl was doing on of those midnight shows on The Virus and he played Alex Chilton or someone doing a really punked up version of The Letter. it sounded phenomenal, and however much Earl sucks that poo poo has stuck with me for more than a decade, and I'm really loving annoyed I've never been able to find that version.

you know he has a twitter account, right?

https://twitter.com/edouglas528

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

you know he has a twitter account, right?

https://twitter.com/edouglas528

no. I just always assumed Earl never adapted with the times and just sits alone in his apartment, jerking off over Cult of Personality.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

blackmarketlimb posted:

no. I just always assumed Earl never adapted with the times and just sits alone in his apartment, jerking off over Cult of Personality.

i did a brief search of youtube and this version sounds super gay so i imagine it's the one you're looking for. enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txJMcfZ4Z1w

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

blackmarketlimb posted:

dang man, you don't get to be in the coveted position of Vibe Manager for the Hard Rock if you can't operate a smartphone

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm going to be in NYC in a few weeks. Does anyone know what happens if you turn up at the Hard Rock and ask for Johnny?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Why ask for Johnny? Just tell them the vibe in there blows, and you need to speak to the manager. You'll get to meet Earl too if you're unlucky.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Smugworth posted:

Why ask for Johnny? Just tell them the vibe in there blows, and you need to speak to the manager. You'll get to meet Earl too if you're unlucky.

Then start questioning Earl and he'll come up with fifteen different ways why it's not his fault.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I'm glad chips podacast exists. It's so bad in the best kind of way.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
Just landed in Houston the rental had Sirius active figured I'd give old opie a listen. It's still bad.

Frost Uncle
Nov 2, 2012

Victorkm posted:

Opie's show isn't bad, but I like Vic, Sharad Small, and the Mad Cuban

now this is a god damned bandoleer of wrong opinions

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Went to Molly's in Chicago. Can confirm the Ron Bennington is delicious.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Frost Uncle posted:

now this is a god damned bandoleer of wrong opinions
sort of... there's basically no show anymore when those 'extra' people can't show up to carry him and there's at least a few good lines when they're all there ripping on each other.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

CrashCat posted:

sort of... there's basically no show anymore when those 'extra' people can't show up to carry him and there's at least a few good lines when they're all there ripping on each other.

There's no show regardless. It's been an amazing downfall: three years after Ant gets beaten up for being a creep both O&A have come to the end of their careers. Only reason this thread exists is because Jim & Sam are doing something and Ron Bennington is coasting to retirement and giving his daughter a chance to have her own career while Chris Stanley sinks into the stinky tentacles of substance abuse.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
https://www.instagram.com/p/BT7VX-FgXKF/

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

That's awesome. I can't understand what she's asking at the beginning, though

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Morter posted:

That's awesome. I can't understand what she's asking at the beginning, though

I can barely make out "d'joo trythese?"

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
So does Opie actually still have a show?

How the gently caress does that happen lol

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
He's a master negotiator.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Stefan Prodan posted:

How the gently caress does that happen lol

I'm genuinely curious. I'd think SiriusXM can actually get decent analytics now that there are probably at least as many people on smartphone apps as satellite radios. I'd kill to see those.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I didn't realize Troy's last name was Henson until they said it on air. Also that guy is turning 40 this year. I'd have thought he was like 24-26 the way he acts.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I'm genuinely curious. I'd think SiriusXM can actually get decent analytics now that there are probably at least as many people on smartphone apps as satellite radios. I'd kill to see those.

According to Dr Steve, they judge whether a show is popular or not by on demand stats. Since he's on random saturdays at 4AM, he begs people to check his show out on demand to let the company know there are people interested.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Stefan Prodan posted:

I really think the execs are too afraid of losing connections to talent, or just the ensuing shitstorm that would come from Opie being fired. If Opie was fired, he would start pulling that poo poo about anyone working or guesting on Sirius being a traitor. He's an rear end and it might be easier to just shove him in a studio somewhere and just keep shrinking his show.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
So, basically treating Opie like Milton from Office Space.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

JFC posted:

So, basically treating Opie like Milton from Office Space.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMaECCyhqm5/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTbklfqB-En/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BT4cCOAD5uk/

Pretty much

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Sintax posted:

I really think the execs are too afraid of losing connections to talent, or just the ensuing shitstorm that would come from Opie being fired. If Opie was fired, he would start pulling that poo poo about anyone working or guesting on Sirius being a traitor. He's an rear end and it might be easier to just shove him in a studio somewhere and just keep shrinking his show.

So instead they put him in the hallway? Not that I trust Sirius to not think this, but you'd think they would give him a cubicle. Of course, I'd also think it was funny that Opie is bitching about an office when he would arrive shortly before the show began and leave shortly after it ended. Mostly, I think I'm just watching a man on his way out at an organization in an industry that probably could make more money selling their satellites to Dish Network and calling it a day.

• Locked thread