Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Lonos Oboe posted:

t he can't really get ahead unless he bends the rules or gets Mike to take pictures or Huell to use his ex-C.I.A./Delta skills.

wait, is it canon that huell is ex-spook?

CIA might take a fattie, but Delta, no way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Lonos Oboe posted:

As for the doctoring incident. It's worth remembering that if Chuck said, "Aw poo poo, I must have made a mistake. I can't understand how it happened. But we'll fix it" He more than likely would not have lost the account. Only by his over reacting and arrogance, did Jimmy manage to screw him both times.

I completely agree. I think a defining moment for him came from when he insists his paperwork was right and questioned whether the client knew their own address. His arrogance turned a simple clerical error into a huge mess. He must have been hell to work with even when he wasn't wrapped in tin foil.

Lonos Oboe posted:

The way the court and everyone cow-towed to Chuck's "illness" is a great way to show how important he is. It's like celebrity.

And in the light that the Emperor's clothes are off Jimmy shamed Chuck, Hamlin, the court, and even himself a little for enabling Chuck's delusion to such a degree for so long. Instead of forcing him to come to terms with his delusional thinking, everyone played along with him and let him waste away as a recluse. When he first thought he had EM sensitivity I wonder if everyone was too polite to tell him he was making it up or whether they didn't want to put up with a guy who has to be right 100% of the time.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

maskenfreiheit posted:

Washington has a elite defense organization made up entirely of assets who are too valuable to discard but too fat to stand or walk for too long. They are the Taft-Men.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

maskenfreiheit posted:

Just joking, but he had to pick up that wheeze somewhere. All those years blowing doors off of planes during training sessions must have a bad effect on your lungs.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

vermin posted:

And in the light that the Emperor's clothes are off Jimmy shamed Chuck, Hamlin, the court, and even himself a little for enabling Chuck's delusion to such a degree for so long. Instead of forcing him to come to terms with his delusional thinking, everyone played along with him and let him waste away as a recluse. When he first thought he had EM sensitivity I wonder if everyone was too polite to tell him he was making it up or whether they didn't want to put up with a guy who has to be right 100% of the time.

The guy probably made the company millions of dollars. He was basically retiring and having his name above the door gave good name brand recognition. Howard was always weighing the "Is this guy too crazy to be bankable"

Chuck was basically the Steve Jobs of HHM.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I wanna learn how a mild mannered vet became the gateway to multiple underworld channels for people.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

mabels big day posted:

I wanna learn how a mild mannered vet became the gateway to multiple underworld channels for people.

I've seen this in other media before where criminals go to vets for medical needs. If I recall correctly Mike asked specifically for a late night vet when he got into town.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

mabels big day posted:

And why he is not an important character in Braking Bad.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Her name is Lydia Rodarte-Quayle and she has a daughter. I'm guessing she was married and hyphenated her name but then got divorced or her husband died.
Lesbians can marry and have daughters, and people can have hyphenated names without marrying to begin with. Say, if that's what their parents named them.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Tree Dude posted:

Are there any worthwhile Fan podcasts? I used to like The Ones Who Knock (I listen to a bunch of Dave Chen/Joanna Robinson pods) but they aren't doing this season.

The Bald Move podcast is always worth a listen, they cover a ton of shows. I've heard every episode of their BB and BCS podcasts.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Doesn't the vet offer Mike doggy morphine or something? He probably knows some people because he sells that. And also being known as the guy who is "close enough to a doctor" and will fix your illegal wounds without reporting you.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 11, 2017

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Doggy morphine is the same as human morphine fyi

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

These sort of questions lead me to thinking about the logistics of mid-to-street level organized crime. How do you know who to sell drugs to? Do you just sell to people you know? Where do you hide the drugs? At what point do you need to launder money? How do you become a fence? How do fences find buyers for their stolen stuff? Is there one guy everybody knows who forges documents? Do hitmen hire themselves out or are they just one guy in a crime organization who does the lion's share of the killing? Do back-alley doctors become vets first or do they wait for retired corrupt policemen to show up on their doorstep and offer them cash for service?

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

vermin posted:

These sort of questions lead me to thinking about the logistics of mid-to-street level organized crime. How do you know who to sell drugs to? Do you just sell to people you know? Where do you hide the drugs? At what point do you need to launder money? How do you become a fence? How do fences find buyers for their stolen stuff? Is there one guy everybody knows who forges documents? Do hitmen hire themselves out or are they just one guy in a crime organization who does the lion's share of the killing? Do back-alley doctors become vets first or do they wait for retired corrupt policemen to show up on their doorstep and offer them cash for service?

I imagine it's a lot more haphazard than the show and movies like John Wick makes out. I would say that a huge amount of folks who do that thing are into the mob for money or people have something over on them. The doc movie Cocaine Cowboys and the Wire seem to give a pretty good insight into some of this stuff. It probably varies from place to place. But I would say there are few old, free hitmen and back alley docs.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Philip Rivers posted:

Doggy morphine is the same as human morphine fyi

also surgery for knife and/or gunshot wounds

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

If that were the case, Hank wouldn't have thought the napkin was weird. Though the vegan thing would maybe have been even stranger.

The industrial laundry service uses cutting‐edge techniques and needs a cutting‐edge chemist.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mabels big day posted:

Extreme Vetting: Coming to AMC this Fall

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Platystemon posted:

The industrial laundry service uses cutting‐edge techniques and needs a cutting‐edge chemist.

Oh the irony that a car wash may have been a better cover with more of a need for a chemist.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I can imagine some ~Artisanal Laundry Service~ could have a chemist making soap in a barn near Portland

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Work Friend Keven posted:

I don't think you could do a Gus show, the character wouldn't really work as a lead without major changes.

If you did a show about the rise of Gus, there's also no way you'd be able to use Giancarlo Esposito without crossing the line from reasonable suspension of disbelief to outright parody. Obviously a show about a younger Gus, if truly good in and of itself, wouldn't need Esposito to work, but it kind of conflicts with his own professed desire to star in a Gus spin-off.

As far as the story of the rise of Gus goes, I think BCS should prove perfectly adequate to scratch that itch. With the way things are now, the creators can reveal as much or as little about Gus's past as they feel is appropriate. They're not locked into anything either way.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I hope the next episode starts with us seeing Jimmy's reaction to Chuck's rant, because I really, really want to know what his face looked like when Chuck accused him of stealing their parents blind. I've always imagined that Jimmy did not take even half of that $14,000, and that Jimmy knew something about their dad and money that Chuck didn't, beyond that their dad was an easy mark.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Extreme Vetting: Coming to AMC this Fall

id watch that tbh

its prequels all the way until the end of time.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

clown shoes posted:

They should do a show set in a parallel universe where Gus is still alive.

:golfclap:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The only other spinoff I wanna see is a half-hour comedy with Lawson and the twerp who sold vests to the Cousins being housemates.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
I want a spinoff with Baseball Card Guy.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

anime was right posted:

id watch that tbh

its prequels all the way until the end of time.

The Vet is probably my favorite character on the criminal side of things that's been introduced in BCS. Maybe Pryce/Daniel Wormald/Simple Simon the rear end Man edges him out just slightly. But I like how The Vet genuinely seems to enjoy being shady as gently caress.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

But I like how The Vet genuinely seems to enjoy being shady as gently caress.

I'd like to think if I were involved in shady dealings I'd revel in it too. I'd probably be the guy with the baseball cards and the hummer though. I think that's part of the appeal of Breaking Bad. With a little effort, you too can roll with the gangsters.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

lifts cats over head posted:

I've seen this in other media before where criminals go to vets for medical needs. If I recall correctly Mike asked specifically for a late night vet when he got into town.

It's a real thing from what I've read. Vets have medical skills and access to drugs and other medical supplies without all the rules that doctors have for documentation and stuff. A vet isn't as good as an actual doctor since they don't have the training/knowledge about human anatomy, but we're not that different so a competent one can manage.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Secret Agent X23 posted:

I want a spinoff with Baseball Card Guy.

Squat Cobbler would make a great name for a sitcom.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I just realized today that on top of all the other poo poo Chuck did, he also tried to sell Johnny Five in Short Circuit 2.

Christ, What An rear end in a top hat!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grand Fromage posted:

It's a real thing from what I've read. Vets have medical skills and access to drugs and other medical supplies without all the rules that doctors have for documentation and stuff. A vet isn't as good as an actual doctor since they don't have the training/knowledge about human anatomy, but we're not that different so a competent one can manage.

Vets have a lot of experience with simple things like cutting flesh and sewing it back up.

If I couldn’t have a surgeon treat my wound, I’d prefer a vet who sutures daily over a doctor of non‐surgical speciality.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
The best pre breaking bad role (except for Mikes psa about tampons) is Giancarlo in Do the Right Thing

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I hope the next episode starts with us seeing Jimmy's reaction to Chuck's rant, because I really, really want to know what his face looked like when Chuck accused him of stealing their parents blind. I've always imagined that Jimmy did not take even half of that $14,000, and that Jimmy knew something about their dad and money that Chuck didn't, beyond that their dad was an easy mark.

When Chuck was ranting, it looked like he was staring right at one person the whole time. I was trying to figure out if it was Jimmy but I couldn't tell.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

WHY BONER NOW posted:

When Chuck was ranting, it looked like he was staring right at one person the whole time. I was trying to figure out if it was Jimmy but I couldn't tell.
My guess was and still is that their dad was doing illegal small stuff for a Chicago mafia outfit in order to pay for Chuck's high end legal education.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

hiddenmovement posted:

The best pre breaking bad role (except for Mikes psa about tampons) is Giancarlo in Do the Right Thing
I was pretty shocked when I realized he was Buggin' Out in Do the Right Thing.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Based on his "snap to" at the end of the speech, I thought he was just staring at a point in space.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Raxivace posted:

I was pretty shocked when I realized he was Buggin' Out in Do the Right Thing.

I sort of had the opposite experience; I was surprised, when first watching BB, to see the over-enthusiastic agent that was looking for Keyser Soze from The Usual Suspects.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

This sounds immensely condescending I'm sure, but talking about this show with people who don't do subtlety very well (that's about as nice as I can put it) is frustrating. Between "but batteries don't give off EM??" and saying that the reason Kim wanted to subpoena the tape at the end of episode 4 was about trying to get HHM to admit that the tape they had was a copy - "which would be invalid in court".. I end up wanting to scream.

Don't ever change BCS, I like you the way you are.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Zebulon posted:

Holy poo poo that's like half the Huell he used to be.

This I feel as the dawn it fades to gray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cnut the Great posted:

If you did a show about the rise of Gus, there's also no way you'd be able to use Giancarlo Esposito without crossing the line from reasonable suspension of disbelief to outright parody. Obviously a show about a younger Gus, if truly good in and of itself, wouldn't need Esposito to work, but it kind of conflicts with his own professed desire to star in a Gus spin-off.

As far as the story of the rise of Gus goes, I think BCS should prove perfectly adequate to scratch that itch. With the way things are now, the creators can reveal as much or as little about Gus's past as they feel is appropriate. They're not locked into anything either way.

This is true, and sad, because Giancarlo Esposito is aging like a god and Gus should still be alive,

• Locked thread