Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cojawfee posted:

Over $50 worth of DLC that's just stuff you could do for free if you had the PC version.

What? That loving sucks... I assume it's this way on every console?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Mario world and DLC is free, at least, which is nice since that would be the only one I'd be interested in anyway.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Instead of buying this ugly dumb game I decided to play more mario kart 8 deluxe edition. I think I made the right choice.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Drunk Tomato posted:

There are no Minecraft Realms on consoles?

Infinitum posted:

Minecraft's out and there's like $100 worth of DLC available :allears:

Cojawfee posted:

Over $50 worth of DLC that's just stuff you could do for free if you had the PC version.

just pretend I put like 30 :nallears: here

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is all of the DLC just cosmetic poo poo? It looks like it, if that's the case gently caress it, they can sell as much of that poo poo as they want.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is all of the DLC just cosmetic poo poo? It looks like it, if that's the case gently caress it, they can sell as much of that poo poo as they want.

There's no story or "game" to Minecraft, so I think by definition any DLC would be cosmetic.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, just texture packs, skins and prebuilt worlds.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Imagined posted:

There's no story or "game" to Minecraft, so I think by definition any DLC would be cosmetic.

Oh I know, but I don't know if there's certain enemies/biomes/bricks/functions that you have to buy or if that stuff just gets updated with the game and they sell skins.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, just texture packs, skins and prebuilt worlds.

Yeah this is dope then. I don't need any of this.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dark Witch rhythm game is fun but hard, and I can't time the drat thing at default.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Oiled and Ready posted:

So does no one know how to enable co-op on Playgrounds? Bueller?

Never mind I'm an idiot. Done in the Switch menu not the game menu, doy.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bought Minecraft and yup, it's Minecraft. Spawned right nearby a surface lava flow, a crapton of sand, some birch trees, and a small cave with a lake in it. Covered the exterior of the cave with a glass entrance and decided to call it a night.

I still can't decide if I like the console crafting menu or not. On one hand, assembling the crafting recipes manually is a pain with joysticks. On the other hand, selecting recipes to craft kinda feels like cheating.

The FOV and camera speed took a little bit of getting used to but I've adapted. I was also disappointed to learn that gyro isn't implemented, it would be nice to be able to hold down ZR and tilt the joycon to start mining the next chunk. Maybe that'll come with an update.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

enojy posted:

It's an acwonym fo Wandom Access Memowy.

It's the Wario to RAM's Mario

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

W O W the water area in blaster master zero is amazingly, game quittingly awful

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

You're talking the top-down sewer section? Hope you've turned the rumble off?

*bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzztttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt*
:siren: WATER IS COMING ACROSS THE SCREEN NOW! YOU KNOW THIS BECAUSE YOUR SWITCH IS NOW A JACKHAMMER! :siren:
*BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT*

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The funny thing about MarioKart is that it's​ this lovely adorable family game that gets everyone I know swearing like Andrew Dice Clay.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Minecraft seems cool so far. There's a ton more stuff since I last played it on PC in ~2010. I started a world, explored a bit, gf jumped in for some splitscreen and dropped out seamlessly. Then I started a multiplayer battle mode thing that populated with randos and that was kinda fun for a bit.

All the DLC seems to be prefab worlds and texture packs which is totally fine with me. The Nintendo world is goofy as hell and the music doesn't fit at all.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

how much :wom: does the switch have?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Imagined posted:

The funny thing about MarioKart is that it's​ this lovely adorable family game that gets everyone I know swearing like Andrew Dice Clay.

I really hope they patch the game to work with the voice chat app when that comes out. Public lobbies will be hilarious.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Infinitum posted:

You're talking the top-down sewer section? Hope you've turned the rumble off?

*bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzztttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt*
:siren: WATER IS COMING ACROSS THE SCREEN NOW! YOU KNOW THIS BECAUSE YOUR SWITCH IS NOW A JACKHAMMER! :siren:
*BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT*

No the area following that, with all the currents

I just got the thing that makes the tank able to fly through them but this is still slow and awful

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

.TakaM posted:

by someone leaving their system on all the time :shobon:

this was a thing people did on xbox360, I dunno if anyone would still be willing to do it these days

People are saying casual play is melting and warping their consoles, you really think people will leave their poo poo on while people build blocks on their connection whilst the main one burns a hole in the floor?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

do you get the mario pack automatically if you get the game? Cuz I can't find it in the available downloads.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Guys, I have a long rear end flight next week. Will there be a dope indie to be dropped next week?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

TFRazorsaw posted:

do you get the mario pack automatically if you get the game? Cuz I can't find it in the available downloads.

Yeah. check options and then skins and the nintendo stuff is at the bottom and all unlocked. also you can make it generate a nintendo world when creating a level.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

Minecraft seems cool so far. There's a ton more stuff since I last played it on PC in ~2010. I started a world, explored a bit, gf jumped in for some splitscreen and dropped out seamlessly. Then I started a multiplayer battle mode thing that populated with randos and that was kinda fun for a bit.

All the DLC seems to be prefab worlds and texture packs which is totally fine with me. The Nintendo world is goofy as hell and the music doesn't fit at all.
I downloaded Minecraft too, if you wanna add my friend code: 3755-9383-6891
So far it seems pretty solid, easily the best handheld version of Minecraft. I'm a little disappointed that it runs at 720p while docked and I've already had the game crash once

Waluigi skin included for free though

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Just a note if you do decide to buy Minecraft skins off the eshop: you might have to redownload the whole game to get them to unlock. I bought the Halloween ones and they were still showing up as locked until I had the Switch recheck and redownload the game. Clearing cache, restarting the system, etc. didn't work, despite the Switch downloading something after my purchase went through. It was kind of frustrating.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evil Fluffy posted:

Tales games on the Switch? :bisonyes:

ToS 2 is pretty universally hated isn't it? It was a pretty big step backwards from ToS. Symphonia->Abyss->Vesperia was good though, and a collection of those 3 would be a definite Day 1 buy.

Ohhh yes indeed it is indeed rightfully reviled.

But again, Symphonia is gonna be easier to get onto the Switch because it's already had a port-friendly version built for PC. Vesperia might happen in Japan, as it also got ported off X360, but the PS3 version only got released in Japan. Xillia 1&2 were built on the PS3 and that has reputedly never been an easy console to code for. They're all certainly possible, but the smart money is still the games originally from a Nintendo console with an english release and middleware build.

If it's not Berseria or something new entirely, anyway.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ohhh yes indeed it is indeed rightfully reviled.

I remember playing the first part of it and being blown away with how terrible it is, but can someone who actually went through the whole thing explain to me the story and how bad it gets?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If they port the PC version of Symphonia I'll have a good laugh.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Ciaphas posted:

But how does the water look? Since the Switch doesn't have Miiverse, I don't know MARIO WiiU's opinion on the water situation, so I have no idea how to feel.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

s.i.r.e. posted:

I remember playing the first part of it and being blown away with how terrible it is, but can someone who actually went through the whole thing explain to me the story and how bad it gets?

The Story in ToS2 is probably stupider than you can imagine.

Basically Emil, blond protag kid, died before the game started and his corpse was possessed by Ratatosk who created a fake personality and background for the body and switches between that wimpy persona and his angry Ratatosk persona. Ratatosk is the god of Monsters and was in charge of a magic tree that died 4000 years before the game, he's been asleep since. He was revived because they replanted a new magic tree as part of the original Tales of Symphonia and is now super pissed the original tree is dead and wants to kill everything. A group of bad guys started impersonating Lloyd, the first game's protag, and decide to run around committing atrocities to prevent Ratatosk's resurrection while the rest of the old party sort of bumbles around ignoring it. The real Lloyd, in a bit of forced and idiotic drama, is running around trying to fix the plot of the game without letting anyone else know what's actually going on. Meanwhile Emil beats up the idiotic evil organization and Lloyd, eventually, which allows Ratatosk to fully come into the world. Power of friendship bullshit brings him back to life and he joins up with the cast of the first game to take Ratatosk down.

And when I say there is zero reason for Lloyd to be running around solo doing stuff I mean it. You have people impersonating him literally committing mass murder in the streets and he won't tell anyone what he's actually doing because... reasons. Or even saying 'hey, I wasn't the one who burned down that city and slaughtered hundreds of people!'

Zore fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 12, 2017

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I had the Tales of Symphonia port for ps3 and the fact that it ran worse than the original version is real lovely.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Zore posted:

The Story in ToS2 is probably stupider than you can imagine.

Basically Emil, blond protag kid, died before the game started and his corpse was possessed by Ratatosk who created a fake personality and background for the body and switches between that wimpy persona and his angry Ratatosk persona. Ratatosk is the god of Monsters and was in charge of a magic tree that died 4000 years before the game, he's been asleep since. He was revived because they replanted a new magic tree as part of the original Tales of Symphonia and is now super pissed the original tree is dead and wants to kill everything. A group of bad guys started impersonating Lloyd, the first game's protag, and decide to run around committing atrocities to prevent Ratatosk's resurrection while the rest of the old party sort of bumbles around ignoring it. The real Lloyd, in a bit of forced and idiotic drama, is running around trying to fix the plot of the game without letting anyone else know what's actually going on. Meanwhile Emil beats up the idiotic evil organization and Lloyd, eventually, which allows Ratatosk to fully come into the world. Power of friendship bullshit brings him back to life and he joins up with the cast of the first game to take Ratatosk down.

And when I say there is zero reason for Lloyd to be running around solo doing stuff I mean it. You have people impersonating him literally committing mass murder in the streets and he won't tell anyone what he's actually doing because... reasons. Or even saying 'hey, I wasn't the one who burned down that city and slaughtered hundreds of people!'

Wow, I thought video game writing was bad before, but now...

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sounds like the Citizen Kain of bideogames, to me.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mister Facetious posted:

Wow, I thought video game writing was bad before, but now...

JRPG plots are traditionally not really the reason you play them. Bravely Default? Great game, but if you're not rooting for the end of the world for the sole purpose of removing every character involved with the plot by the halfway point then you've got more patience for people acting really stupid than I could ever understand.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It shouldn't bother me that there's legitimately no way to play any Mario sidescroller on this piece of poo poo but it does.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LODGE NORTH posted:

It shouldn't bother me that there's legitimately no way to play any Mario sidescroller on this piece of poo poo but it does.

It really needs an expanded Mario Maker.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SeANMcBAY posted:

It really needs an expanded Mario Maker.

I can't wait for auto play levels designed with HD rumble that feels like things. And this level is cat, it feels like a purring cat.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I had a typical Xanax moment and bought Minecraft. I figure I liked Active Worlds enough in the late 90s as a kid, I'd like this. I've never played this game before now, but I just spent 3 hours chopping down a shitload of trees, mining a shitload of cobblestone, building the exterior of a lovely square stone "house" and eating exactly 3 pigs.

My Switch battery is done for the night but what am I supposed to do next? Dig down? Go see what's on those neighboring mountains? Start over in creative mode because I don't care about the combat and don't want any more little fuckhead cacti blowing holes in my floor?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

enojy posted:

I had a typical Xanax moment and bought Minecraft. I figure I liked Active Worlds enough in the late 90s as a kid, I'd like this. I've never played this game before now, but I just spent 3 hours chopping down a shitload of trees, mining a shitload of cobblestone, building the exterior of a lovely square stone "house" and eating exactly 3 pigs.

My Switch battery is done for the night but what am I supposed to do next? Dig down? Go see what's on those neighboring mountains? Start over in creative mode because I don't care about the combat and don't want any more little fuckhead cacti blowing holes in my floor?

dig down. find one of the dungeons and start strip-mining that joint for cool materials. alternately, do what you want, because it's all much of a muchness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Scratch-O posted:

No seriously, is there a guide to getting better at Puyo Pop? I cannot wrap my head around making anything higher than a 3-combo when they give you, like, 20 spaces that pieces can take up.
SEGA hired a pro player to make a series of videos for competitive play. It'll teach you the basic patterns for combos, and from there it's a matter of practicing to learn how to mix and match them for those super 10-chains.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kubNL_Nug8U

• Locked thread