Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Freudian Slip posted:

Is the strike just for this week? I haven't visited any Fairfax newspapers while the strike has been on and I really miss reading it at work.

It ended on Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah it's okay to buy Astle's crossword this week.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

The ABC posted:

Prime Minister Malcom Turnbull says drug testing welfare recipients and potentially managing their spending is "a policy based on love".

Greens leader Richard Di Natale has described it as "a violation of human rights".

But Mr Turnbull has defended the proposed trial, telling reporters at a Sydney hospital that it was a policy motivated by love and a commitment to support vulnerable Australians.

"I think it is pretty obvious that welfare money should not be used to buy drugs," he said.

"If you love someone who is addicted to drugs, if you love somebody whose life is destroyed by drugs, don't you want them to get off drugs?"

Mr Turnbull said he hoped the trial would be a success so it could be expanded across Australia, describing it as a sensible, rational and compassionate policy.

If you loved them enough that you wanted them off drugs maybe put money into programmes that are effective at doing just that instead of pissing it up against the wall with your hate boner stunt bullshit.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Bogan King posted:

Latham has a cookbook coming out. I thought political advice was going to be the last thing I wanted to take from him but it turns out I was wrong.

The Anarchocapitalists cookbook?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Nah, you see it's like when your beloved wife gets a bit out of line and you have to whack her.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bogan King posted:

If you loved them enough that you wanted them off drugs maybe put money into programmes that are effective at doing just that instead of pissing it up against the wall with your hate boner stunt bullshit.

Yeah holy poo poo stripping financial support from people struggling with drug addiction is a pure recipe for suicide.

gently caress you Turnbull you piece of poo poo, you could sell this as fairness, or smell test or any other bullshit rationale but selling this as if it is loving helping people is beyond the loving pale.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

JBP posted:

It ended on Tuesday.

Thanks!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

She's a bad freelancer that needs to break a picket to sell work.

House is always scab

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Libs are much better at dog whistles than Labor. Compare:

-Framing drug tests for poors as an act of compassion to prevent drug abuse
-Framing offshore detention as an act of compassion to prevent drownings

To

"I'm Bill Shorten and I want jobs to be for Australians only and here's some white people to illustrate what an Australian is."

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
You can tell the strike is over because House is Haunt has been updated

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Bogan King posted:

I know this is the age of equality and you shouldn't mansplain stuff to women but maybe someone should quietly whisper in Farrelly's ear that she should be digging up.

The picture of the guy smirking and pointing to his forehead is below this, right?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

In a previous job I got to do onsite tech support at her house and I can honestly say she is a crazy person.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Bogan King posted:

The Department of Social Security will also be renamed the Ministry of Love.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

iajanus posted:

In a previous job I got to do onsite tech support at her house and I can honestly say she is a crazy person.

I can confirm

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

AMWU have nailed Farrelly's latest bit

https://twitter.com/theamwu/status/862881551138250752

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Cartoon posted:

The Department of Social Security will also be renamed the Ministry of Love.

:ohdear:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hmmmmm

GorgeOnMySyphilis
Mar 3, 2012

'They’ve lost the lot': how the Australian mining boom blew up in property owners' faces

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Like I know it's wrong to gloat about other people's suffering and all that -

But knowing that this demographic almost exclusively voted liberal in 2013 AND 2016, reading this I can't help be a little

:nws: :nws:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

My tiny violin shares are soaring.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

How do I convince people that drug testing welfare recipients is hosed up? It's amazing the amount of people that are for it, and I'm poo poo at arguing. Can auspol give me some talking points?

Don Dongington posted:

I don't know how many of you have been on a bargaining team, but it's pretty loving clear from day 1 that unless you're rocking huge densities, (>30%, which is AF rare outside of pockets of the public sector, construction, maybe maritime?) , the employer holds all of the cards.

I'm in a union for the first time in my life (no union in previous workplace) and we're rocking membership somewhere like 90%+ and I cannot for the life of me think of my anyone WOULDN'T be in their union. It's the only way for the workers to not get hosed.

"Yeah, nah what have unions ever fuckin' done for me" *gets paid a fair wage with 4 weeks annual leave a year and public holidays* "They're all hosed aye"

We must smash the state, seize the means of production etc, etc.

JBP posted:

The 17% interest thing is a loving load of poo poo because when people bought that debt ... they paid off loans in record time and had a fuckload of equity available.

Anyway boomers cn eat poo poo etc, they're a pack of fat old liars and we should kill them all.

This is amazing and I love it.

Dude McAwesome fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 12, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Ask them how they think drug testing welfare recipients will make the world a better place.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Dude McAwesome posted:

How do I convince people that drug testing welfare recipients is hosed up? It's amazing the amount of people that are for it, and I'm poo poo at arguing. Can auspol give me some talking points?

Tell them it will cost a fortune in screening, testing and implementing the restricted card and that poor people will still effectively have the same amount of money to use.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
It is a colossal waste of money that will catch basically no one given that drugs are expensive and no one on welfare could reasonably afford them. The whole policy is the government wasting millions on purely political posturing.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

You want to waste my taxes on what!?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

What are these people's arguments for it, btw?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Would you prefer our addicts to be doing dirt cheap meth or something way worse and even cheaper?

Actually forcing people to sell themselves for a hit is better than spending taxpayer money on keeping our most vulnerable even slightly useful to society.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 12, 2017

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Would you prefer our addicts to be doing dirt cheap meth or something way worse and even cheaper?
And stealing your poo poo to do it, too.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I too am looking forward to a time in the near future when the only hope for society's most vulnerable is to roll around in a bathtub full of cheap internet-sourced pachyderm tranquiliser

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
You know, just like in America

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I highly doubt it would even punish the poor that well. If this thing does actually gain traction, it would be the easiest thing in the world to sell it for cash. $1 ~ 85c on a basics card etc.

e. monetarily, for making people feel like they are poo poo, it's probably not bad.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zenithe posted:

I highly doubt it would even punish the poor that well. If this thing does actually gain traction, it would be the easiest thing in the world to sell it for cash. $1 ~ 85c on a basics card etc.

e. monetarily, for making people feel like they are poo poo, it's probably not bad.

It's not about punishing the poor. That's just a bonus.

The entire point is to give money to a mate's card processing company with a sweet long term government contract.

You know. Good old fashioned corruption. That's why all the costs are commercial in confidence.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Dude McAwesome posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-10/federal-budget-2017-job-services-say-drug-tests-do-not-work/8511720
This employment provider says taking away income causes people to remove themselves from aid

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Ask them how far they want to punish drug users. Should they be imprisoned for using or merely left destitute? Are they irredeemable? Why was cocaine excluded from the tests?

Edit: also if we should arrest them for positive tests and if not should the drugs be legal and if legal why punish them for taking a substance they think should be legal

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Ask them why they think it is a good policy.

Save money? It will absolutely cost more to implement than any possible savings.
Help people? It won't. The rehab option will be short term and doesn't remove the drivers to substance abuse, eg poverty, joblessness, homelessness.
Punishment? Yeah, I thought so. Kick 'em whilst they're down. Drive people at the bottom of the heap to further depths of disadvantage and desperation.

Also, alcohol is consistently one of the most abused and harm inducing drugs. But we wouldn't mess with that. (Please dont mess with booze, it's keeping me happy).

Licence to blunt? :scoff vs scoff:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Mandatory weekly drug tests to claim any deductions on your tax return. If you fail a test and own investment properties they are seized by the state and used as social housing. Random breath tests on the streets of capital cities to ensure people aren't publicly intoxicated. Same penalties as for drugs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Duterte Australia when?

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Ask them why they think it is a good policy.

Save money? It will absolutely cost more to implement than any possible savings.
Help people? It won't. The rehab option will be short term and doesn't remove the drivers to substance abuse, eg poverty, joblessness, homelessness.
Punishment? Yeah, I thought so. Kick 'em whilst they're down. Drive people at the bottom of the heap to further depths of disadvantage and desperation.

Also, alcohol is consistently one of the most abused and harm inducing drugs. But we wouldn't mess with that. (Please dont mess with booze, it's keeping me happy).

Licence to blunt? :scoff vs scoff:

Good way to drive addicts further to things like burglary and robbery too, more poor in the jails! I shouldn't have to look at them on the streets, their visage offends me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I sure do hope that Lambie et al's point about testing parliament house gets traction. Here's a tip... start with ministerial staffers and calibrate the machines for cocaine.

• Locked thread