Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

TildeATH posted:

Quiet you, with your superstitious ways!

I propose we Explore and colonize these new islands Allah has delivered to us and continue to explore West of these islands to find a route to our Muslim brothers in China!

I support this motion. Let us bring the light of Islam to all the islands of the Atlantic, no matter how big they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

WilliamAnderson posted:

Given this, I propose that we develop the production on our gold mine up to 10, with the other development increases split equally.

:yeah:

E: Also, fellow merchants, the explore/colonize proposal already has a metric fuckton of support so let's pick a second one to complement it instead of just piling on.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

I, Emir Flavius al-Belisarius of the Taifas, who is totally not a Roman, support Lutfi al-Uthman's plan to keep our alliance with the Celts.

All of you who are supporting this barracks initiative: you are correct that a Muslim boy's place is on the battlefield, defending our land from the Christians. Yet, when given a choice, why would we choose to spend our resources on recruiting more of our own when the Christians are fractured and more than ready to spill their own blood against each other? This alliance strengthens us and weakens all of Christendom in the West. We must keep the priests from dissolving it.

I also urge the Merchants to turn away from their trinkets for a moment to give this thought.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Crazycryodude posted:

:yeah:

E: Also, fellow merchants, the explore/colonize proposal already has a metric fuckton of support so let's pick a second one to complement it instead of just piling on.

How dare you speak against the Exploration Wing of the Merchant Faction? Allah have mercy on your perfidious, innovative ways if you do. The Oubliette Faction can always use new members.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

WilliamAnderson posted:

Given this, I propose that we develop the production on our gold mine up to 10, with the other development increases split equally.

Gold rules the world after all.

Abandoning my own proposal to support this one.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

WilliamAnderson posted:

I support this motion

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

TildeATH posted:

How dare you speak against the Exploration Wing of the Merchant Faction? Allah have mercy on your perfidious, innovative ways if you do. The Oubliette Faction can always use new members.

Keep threatening people with the Oubliette, and I'll have you thrown into the Oubliette, you cackling hyena! :argh:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Merchants please, let's not fight among ourselves. There are plenty of business opportunities and gold for all of us! I myself would have supported the proposal to explore the oceans if it didn't have such a resounding success already.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

TildeATH posted:

I propose we Explore and colonize these new islands Allah has delivered to us and continue to explore West of these islands to find a route to our Muslim brothers in China!

I support this proposition. Though I would like to remind my fellow merchants that finding an alternate route to Mecca should be of higher priority than connecting with our fellow Muslims in the distant lands of China. Not that I see any reason we cannot undertake both mind you.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

paragon1 posted:

Keep threatening people with the Oubliette, and I'll have you thrown into the Oubliette, you cackling hyena! :argh:

I should charge you for my patented treatment. Your wives will be so grateful they'll say, "Mash'Allah his skin is so soft and white after his months at the bottom of the oubliette!"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

WilliamAnderson posted:

I, Qasim ibn Qaptin, support this motion.

I assume we don't even need a Policy to take the Exploration idea group and that's just kinda happening because it goes hand in hand with our policy to colonize westwards.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

Captain Oblivious posted:

I, Qasim ibn Qaptin, support this motion.

I assume we don't even need a Policy to take the Exploration idea group and that's just kinda happening because it goes hand in hand with our policy to colonize westwards.

It goes hand in hand with the Merchants becoming the largest faction. If the New Taifas are the largest faction by the time the next idea group rolls around, for example, I'll pick one of the military groups, like Offensive or Aristocratic.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Rubix Squid posted:

I support this proposition. Though I would like to remind my fellow merchants that finding an alternate route to Mecca should be of higher priority than connecting with our fellow Muslims in the distant lands of China. Not that I see any reason we cannot undertake both mind you.

To be honest, I kinda feel like maybe clearing the existing and known routes to Mecca might be something to keep the New Taifas occupied.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Flavius Belisarius posted:

I, Emir Flavius al-Belisarius of the Taifas, who is totally not a Roman, support Lutfi al-Uthman's plan to keep our alliance with the Celts.

All of you who are supporting this barracks initiative: you are correct that a Muslim boy's place is on the battlefield, defending our land from the Christians. Yet, when given a choice, why would we choose to spend our resources on recruiting more of our own when the Christians are fractured and more than ready to spill their own blood against each other? This alliance strengthens us and weakens all of Christendom in the West. We must keep the priests from dissolving it.

I also urge the Merchants to turn away from their trinkets for a moment to give this thought.

And yet, while I support the alliance, I must wonder how much the Celts will be willing to help us? Will their promises from across the sea mean anything when the French are at the gates, or would an army we built for ourselves be more useful?

Let the Ulemas moan, as they always do. The Sultan has the final say.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

We cannot match the French man for man by ourselves, and we already spent blood and treasure on this alliance, why break it before we have a chance to call upon it ourselves?

Even if they should summon us again, we need merely answer the call and keep to our own borders rather than actually engaging.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I should hope the Ulema have the good sense not to go through with this proposal. Our Alliance with the Celts is a pivotal resource. We've earned favors by coming to their aid, bloody though it was, it would be foolish to deny ourselves the ability to call in those favors when we need them. And I fear we shall need them.

The Taifas are right about one thing, if France gets a foothold in Iberia it will be a dark omen for all of us.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Captain Oblivious posted:

I should hope the Ulema have the good sense not to go through with this proposal. Our Alliance with the Celts is a pivotal resource. We've earned favors by coming to their aid, bloody though it was, it would be foolish to deny ourselves the ability to call in those favors when we need them. And I fear we shall need them.

The Taifas are right about one thing, if France gets a foothold in Iberia it will be a dark omen for all of us.

They've already crossed the Pyrenees, they have that foothold.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

catlord posted:

They've already crossed the Pyrenees, they have that foothold.

I'd hesitate to call that fingernail of territory a foothold. I'm more referring to oh say

The French subjugating Aragon. A possibility that should haunt us all.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

The "we won the electoral vote by YUGE amounts" proposal

As a merchant I propose we not ditch an important friend in the struggle with France.

Just because the Ulema are getting all puritanical doesn't mean we should randomly abandon an important ally at a time when the French threat looms large.

the JJ fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 12, 2017

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

the JJ posted:

As a merchant I propose we not ditch an important friend in the struggle with France.

Just because the Ulema are getting all puritanical doesn't mean we should randomly abandon an important ally at a time when the French threat looms large.

Can I support this? I want to support this.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

the JJ posted:

Please don't waste our second action on a nullification.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

the JJ posted:

Samovar posted:

After close consultation with my clients, I, Samwyiyl al-Samivyr, declare myself to be a silly-billy who can't read. Sorry!

As I know lord Samwyiyl al-Samiyyr declared his support for my Motion, despite the rules dictating he was in fact not able to actually vote for it, I implore him to put his vote behind JJ's proposal. I also implore any merchant who aren't willing to see a good ally in the north go to waste to vote for him, as do I ask any Taifa who aren't willing to see it put their vote for me.

Finally, I ask our honourable Sultan to see mine and JJ's motions as a single one from two different factions, and count their votes together as votes against the Ulema's crazy puritanical proposal of severing the Celtic alliance.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

WilliamAnderson posted:

Please don't waste our second action on a nullification.

"Wasting" a policy is a small price I'd gladly pay if it means we can stop the Ulema's monumentally stupid decision to end our alliance with the Celts. This alliance is perhaps the only thing keeping France in check, and there's no profit to be had in being invaded, pillaged, and occupied.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
My fellow Majils, there is a really, really big loophole that everyone has missed so far. Beloved Sultan, I draw attention to this now so that you may deem it worthy or ban it as you see fit to do, for future sessions of this chamber.

Hashim posted:

Policy Restrictions

The type of policies that a faction can propose will sometimes be limited depending on whether or not that faction is in power, like so:

The New Taifas may not propose policies involving wars of conquest or vassalization. Wars that do not involving conquest, like demanding tribute or inflicting humiliation, are all perfectly fine.

The Ulema may not propose policies involving the conversion of non-Muslim policies.

I, Al-rusim khataan taht-Impy of the Ulama, propose that, should the opportunity arise, we claim for Allah via war of conquest one of the minor infidel nations on our northern border, if doing so will not embroil us in a wider conflict with stronger powers.

I would mention to the Faithful amongst the New Taifas that it is currently entirely permissible for them to endorse converting non-muslim polities within our bounds so that we get more willing mujahideen for use in future conflicts. We cannot endorse policies proposed by each other's factions, but...

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

AJ_Impy posted:

My fellow Majils, there is a really, really big loophole that everyone has missed so far. Beloved Sultan, I draw attention to this now so that you may deem it worthy or ban it as you see fit to do, for future sessions of this chamber.

I, Al-rusim khataan taht-Impy of the Ulama, propose that, should the opportunity arise, we claim for Allah via war of conquest one of the minor infidel nations on our northern border, if doing so will not embroil us in a wider conflict with stronger powers.

I would mention to the Faithful amongst the New Taifas that it is currently entirely permissible for them to endorse converting non-muslim polities within our bounds so that we get more willing mujahideen for use in future conflicts. We cannot endorse policies proposed by each other's factions, but...

I mean, the New Taifas could propose converting our non-Muslim provinces, just like the League of Merchants could technically declare war on the Christian principalities, but it would kinda defeat the point of joining the faction in the first place, and would likely use up your single policy slot.

Still, I'll work something out for the next policy session. Your policy is perfectly viable for now, my fault for not considering it.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

TildeATH posted:

I support this.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Voting for the atlantic exploration & colonization proposal.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Hashim posted:

I mean, the New Taifas could propose converting our non-Muslim provinces, just like the League of Merchants could technically declare war on the Christian principalities, but it would kinda defeat the point of joining the faction in the first place, and would likely use up your single policy slot.

Still, I'll work something out for the next policy session. Your policy is perfectly viable for now, my fault for not considering it.

Dang it, i wish i had thought of that. Anyways, i think it might be better to list only the things a faction can do instead of what they can't, maybe pointing out what they can do at anytime and what they can only do when in power.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

WilliamAnderson posted:

I support this motion!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
If people don't like what the Ulama is doing, they're welcome to join us and propose something different.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Frionnel posted:

Dang it, i wish i had thought of that.

Mountaineer posted:

If people don't like what the Ulama is doing, they're welcome to join us and propose something different.

Fortunately, I did think of it. Lend me your support, and let us solve this, inshallah!

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Mountaineer posted:

What the Ulama is doing is a serious mistake, and i wish my father's faction would have better judgment. Be pragmatic! By allying the celts we put christian against christian, and their infighting will be their doom! While if we cut ties now, with no explanation, we encourage the christians to unite against us, all for the possibility of an alliance with an islamic realm. What gain can you see from this, brother?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

What is the Ulama doing that is bad, I haven't been paying attention.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

What is the Ulama doing that is bad, I haven't been paying attention.

They're trying to break our alliance with the Celtic Empire.

You know, one of France's major rivals and our best options for leverage against big blue.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Not to mention, the Celts were the reason why we didn't get destroyed by France during the most recent war. Breaking the alliance is very bad for us.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The only blue I see is the wide open ocean, friendos.

eta: lol but for real, that's so dumb.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Talas posted:

Not to mention, the Celts were the reason why we didn't get destroyed by France during the most recent war. Breaking the alliance is very bad for us.

I mean, not really, they are the reason we got into the war in first place and they didn't help us fight france's troops. Naval battles won't save you in a land war.

Still, blockading France can be useful and i'd rather have them as a deterrent. Better have the british islands on our side and not theirs. And when the english are out of the way, the celts could even land troops on the continent and help.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 12, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Merchants, I implore you, use your secondary policy, keep the Frank's contained!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Far be it for me, who might occasionally indulge in wine and fornication, to speak to the religious education of my Ulema cousins, but you know that Christians are not heathens but rather People of the Book whom we may marry and do business with and, ahem, otherwise engage.

So while I understand their small-minded rage at some distant, pasty peoples, I would remind them that there is no theological justification for nullification of our relations.

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's Friday, and I need to hurry to the oubliette to lord over its occupants and be done in time for Jummah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

TildeATH posted:

Far be it for me, who might occasionally indulge in wine and fornication, to speak to the religious education of my Ulema cousins, but you know that Christians are not heathens but rather People of the Book whom we may marry and do business with and, ahem, otherwise engage.

So while I understand their small-minded rage at some distant, pasty peoples, I would remind them that there is no theological justification for nullification of our relations.

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's Friday, and I need to hurry to the oubliette to lord over its occupants and be done in time for Jummah.

There is a difference between dhimmi who pay the appropriate Jizya and infidels who see our religion as something to be crusaded against. The former are as you describe, the latter need to be taught the truth of Allah. I agree that breaking the treaty with the Celts is folly at this time, for regardless of who they are, we have given our word before Allah, and we must be true to that above all.

I have offered an option for my Ulama brethren to support, I can do no more.