Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Apparently Wally West's kryptonite is Slade Wilson's sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay, technically Slade doesn't use his sword here. But he still comes across ridiculously OP and smarmy about it.

Like...the plot of the issue is that Slade has captured Wally (offscreen...we don't get to see how) because he wants Wally to travel back in time to save his son Grant. Wally refuses to do it 'cuz time travel has consequences, yada yada, and then vibrates out of his restraints and starts punching Slade. Slade then says he has a contingency in case Wally refuses, and brings out...the other, younger Wally, restrained in another device. This is supposed to be the tense cliffhanger 'cuz like, oh no, Wally(s) is an a tight spot now! How will they possibly get out of this??

...The problem is that there is no reason it should be tense at all because there is no reason old-Wally can't just punch out Slade right then and there, free young-Wally, and GFTO. He himself is already free! All three of them are just standing right there in the room about a yard from each other! And we're supposed to think Slade is this calculating, threatening badass who's figured out how to coerce the Flash into doing what he wants and it's like...no? This is idiotic? There's no goddamn reason why Slade should be a threat to anyone whatsoever?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a TV show tie-in. Speedsters have to be morons now.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

BrianWilly posted:

Okay, technically Slade doesn't use his sword here. But he still comes across ridiculously OP and smarmy about it.

Like...the plot of the issue is that Slade has captured Wally (offscreen...we don't get to see how) because he wants Wally to travel back in time to save his son Grant. Wally refuses to do it 'cuz time travel has consequences, yada yada, and then vibrates out of his restraints and starts punching Slade. Slade then says he has a contingency in case Wally refuses, and brings out...the other, younger Wally, restrained in another device. This is supposed to be the tense cliffhanger 'cuz like, oh no, Wally(s) is an a tight spot now! How will they possibly get out of this??

...The problem is that there is no reason it should be tense at all because there is no reason old-Wally can't just punch out Slade right then and there, free young-Wally, and GFTO. He himself is already free! All three of them are just standing right there in the room about a yard from each other! And we're supposed to think Slade is this calculating, threatening badass who's figured out how to coerce the Flash into doing what he wants and it's like...no? This is idiotic? There's no goddamn reason why Slade should be a threat to anyone whatsoever?

Wally was trashing Slade, in Slade's own comic, back when he couldn't go faster than the speed of sound. Slade's stupidity aura whenever he's involved in anything but his own book has always been toxic and obnoxious.

Also Slade is clearly stupid. You can't promise you'll do something if someone time travels. The timeline will change if they change things with time travel and this stupid promise will never happen you idiot. From his perspective it'll just be that Grant never died and he'll be the same Slade he was before Grant died -- a sociopathic monster.

This crossover is apparently Priest's concoction so who knows how it'll all end up but I agree with the bad start. It's the same stupid poo poo Slade always is when he shows up in a book with "Titans" in the name.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Night of the Monster Men wasn't great, but I think it did right in giving one writer the overall duties for the crossover. I'm sure King and Tynion really just said 'sure' to get their names on as co-plotters and took a little paid vacation for those issues.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Teenage Fansub posted:

Night of the Monster Men wasn't great
Umm first of all how dare you

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

Night of the Monster Men wasn't great

Im pretty comfortable calling it great honestly??

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Yeah it was pretty great.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Y'all were just hypnotised by that naked Hugo Strange butt.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The part in Monster Men where Clayface makes a suit of armor around Batman and he uses it to fight Mutated Gotham Girl was so rad.

"Good to see you back in one piece."

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm going with the opinion that Night of the Monster Men felt like just another comic on the pile to me.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Its not going to be like an evergreen trade seller for years into the future but it was rad. It was good and fun and cool!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It was fun, it didn't overstay its welcome, it didn't pollute other, unrelated books with cross overs, and it had a handful of really cool moments and an okay ending. I wish more events were like it to be honest.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

Its not going to be like an evergreen trade seller for years into the future but it was rad. It was good and fun and cool!

DC seems to think it will be, it was the first Rebirth trade to be offered in a hardcover.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheGoshDarnBat/status/862730530835529728

I guess Metal is JL Planet Hulk?

Nice Super skirt.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Haha, that's what I thought too as soon as I saw that. Maybe they're all just friends from work...?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/MrHowardPorter/status/862668602444574723

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

What issue is that? I'm going to have to get that one for sure.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Next week's Flash. Final part of the Watchmen Button crossover with Batman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

What issue is that? I'm going to have to get that one for sure.

#22, out Wednesday.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Hot drat, a good lenticular cover.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm impressed they didn't shove the Rebirth banner in the top, or have the modern logo fade in.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I really hope they get rid of the Rebirth banner soon

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Roth posted:

I really hope they get rid of the Rebirth banner soon
I really like the trade dress on top. It's user-friendly: Hello, you are about to buy This Arc, it is part X, now you know if this is a jumping-on point or if you have to hop back a few issues.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

CapnAndy posted:

I really like the trade dress on top. It's user-friendly: Hello, you are about to buy This Arc, it is part X, now you know if this is a jumping-on point or if you have to hop back a few issues.

Def this. I picked up the first few issues of Hal's Magical Fuckup Adventure on Saturday and it was a very clear clueing-in as to where was safe to stop picking up issues.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

What's Batwoman like so far?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So Green Lantern is good, right? it already has a couple TPBs out.

I felt kinda weird watching the Justice League trailer (I just saw it for the first time a few days ago) and seeing that guy from Teen Titans but no GL.

That made me curious about actually reading some GL comics, which I never have done and people told me the Rebirth GL stuff is some of the best.

But speaking of GL s in the JL, I hear lots of poo poo about the JL comic. Does this Jessica Cruz appear in that?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

irlZaphod posted:

What's Batwoman like so far?

Terminally boring, alas.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

That's disappointing... I was hoping that Bennett would be able to do something good with the character. It's only 2 issues in, right? Maybe it'll pick up a bit.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

But speaking of GL s in the JL, I hear lots of poo poo about the JL comic. Does this Jessica Cruz appear in that?

Bryan Hitch's Justice League is one of the worst comics out there. Luckily, the end of Geoff Johns' New 52 Justice League, where she was introduced, is great fun.
Pick up these three trades:
https://www.amazon.com/Justice-League-Vol-Injustice-New/dp/1401258522
https://www.amazon.com/Justice-League-Vol-Darkseid-America/dp/1401264522
https://www.amazon.com/Justice-League-Vol-Darkseid-Part/dp/1401265391
That picks up after an event where the super villains saved the day against an evil League from an alternate Earth, so Lex Luthor earns a spot on the Justice League. Everything before issue #30 was pretty crap. Don't entertain your curiosity. Start from Vol. 6.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 12, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

irlZaphod posted:

That's disappointing... I was hoping that Bennett would be able to do something good with the character. It's only 2 issues in, right? Maybe it'll pick up a bit.

Yeah it's only 2 issues in. I am actually having a hard time getting invested in the monthly shipping comics now. It just feels so long between issues compared to Batman and Detective and stuff...I'm getting real spoiled on having something I want to read every week, and I'm gonna be hosed when DC inevitably drops everything back to monthly shipping.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

purple death ray posted:

Yeah it's only 2 issues in. I am actually having a hard time getting invested in the monthly shipping comics now. It just feels so long between issues compared to Batman and Detective and stuff...I'm getting real spoiled on having something I want to read every week, and I'm gonna be hosed when DC inevitably drops everything back to monthly shipping.

Totally agree with this, it's great. I hope the sales numbers are good enough that they don't.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
so, king and gerads are doing Mister Miracle

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/05/exclusive-tom-king-mitch-gerads-miracle-man.html

(I am restraining myself because holy poo poo that's a good loving preview right there)

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

ElNarez posted:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/05/exclusive-tom-king-mitch-gerads-miracle-man.html

(I am restraining myself because holy poo poo that's a good loving preview right there)

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt...!

Gonna have to get that!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ElNarez posted:

Comics are very good lately

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh man. They're even bringing over Sheriff of Babylon layouts.

Nine panels (see also, Omega Men,) Text panels.

King/Gerads Batman issue next week too :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 12, 2017

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

ElNarez posted:

:swoon::swoon::swoon:

Hope there is more to come out of this, even though it will probably only sell like 10 issues because no one loves Fourth World as it deserves.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
My brain is starting to hurt after reading Action Comics and Titans this week, I can't keep track of who remembers the past continuity or what has been rejiggered as a result of the two Supermans merging. I guess I'll just turn my brain off and stop thinking about it, because I don't care about the logistics behind it, I'm just super jazzed that the REAL CYBORG SUPERMAN IS BACK! (Action Comics spoiler, although it's on the cover so not really)

Also, as someone who really got into Deathstroke for the first time with Rebirth, it was super disappointing to see how he was written in Titans. The "I'm so fuckin' cool I just captured this super speedster with no effort, aren't I just the most bad rear end and in control dude there is" is completely counter to how he is written in his own book. I honestly expected a lot better out of Abnett.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What was the consensus on Post-Resurrection Green Arrow? I read a lot of Green Arrow back in the '90s, most of it the Connor Hawke stuff by Dixon, and really enjoyed it. But I had pretty much skipped out on Green Arrow until Winnick's Green Arrow and Black Canary series in around 2007 or so. I really enjoyed that series. A while back I had bough a few Green Arrow collections from Comixology that filled in the gap but never got around to reading them until I had some time on a plane ride earlier this week. The Kevin Smith stuff was dated but not nearly as bad as I'd been fearing. I didn't like what he did with Daredevil at all but I kind of enjoyed some of the broader strokes of his Green Arrow stuff. The thing that really surprised me though was a short run by Brad Meltzer. Now Meltzer is a writer I really really do not like. But his run has Ollie and Roy going around trying to collect some of Ollie's personal belongings after his recent resurrection. It's not a long run but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Which is weird because I'm not sure I've ever really liked anything else I've read by Brad Meltzer. I haven't gotten started on the last collection I bought yet, which is I guess the first by Winnick, but I really like his other work with Green Arrow so I'm looking forward to seeing how it started.

Oh, and I just want to say how much I love Phil Hester drawing Ollie. Man I love the art in these books.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I haven't read very much Green Arrow before but I like the first trade and I think it's been fairly well received.