Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Randarkman posted:

That last one was unforgivable.

Then rename the loving thing and also learn to drink Mack. I think I actually know one of the shareholder's kids, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Randarkman posted:

That last one was unforgivable.

Much like the creation of Drammen.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mack is one of the worst pilsners in Norway. Just terrible.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

evil_bunnY posted:

Even better is to get your employer to do it.

This is probably a Good Idea.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Nice piece of fish posted:

Then rename the loving thing and also learn to drink Mack. I think I actually know one of the shareholder's kids, actually.

I mean Aass is lovely beer, but if you're holding Mack up as an example of a better one, pitting what passes as "macro" in our small lovely country against "smaller more northern macro" you've lost the plot. Drammen has Haandbryggeriet which is pretty good.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

re: the economy, it's only really painful in the west, where a lot of the economy has been connected to the sea for a long time - a lot of supply groups, ship tenders, pump industries and engine works have been feeling the pain - over here, it's a genuine malaise which is only made more painful by successive norwegian governments completely refusing to actually try to do something with the economy here. right now we have a lot of techincally minded people with very little to do, but there seems to be an expectation that new economical sectors will spring up through the entrepreneurial efforts of a bunch of galtian supermen and that this quite removes any need for actual political action in rejigging our economy

the consequence is that norway is completely backwards in almost all high-tech sectors not connected to oil or one of the old state monopolies like telecoms or power generation because establishing a tech company in anything else than certain ICT fields is somewhat more complicated and expensive than "have technical skills and idea, can make business"

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the whole thorium fiasco eight or so years ago is a good example of this - it wouldn't have cost that much, proportionately, to amass a world-leading centre of competence on a potentially massively valuable field, but because that would've been messing with the liberal dogma that's been almost universal since the brundtland years, it was basically let die and now key patents are dispersed all over the shop

Max Manus
Oct 25, 2004

Saboteur par excellence.
Nap Ghost

Randarkman posted:

At least it's not Ringnes :barf:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ringnes isn't a beer, it's bottled piss from norwegian cave trolls.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Collateral Damage posted:

Ringnes isn't a beer, it's bottled piss from norwegian cave trolls.

I think that's being very unfair to cave troll piss.

Randarkman posted:

In a scandinavian politics thread filled with trolls, idiots and finns it's impressive to see someone get something this loving wrong

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

In a scandinavian politics thread filled with finns, finns and finns it's impressive to see someone get something this loving wrong

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

In a scandinavian politics thread filled with trolls, idiots and finns it's impressive to see someone get something this loving wrong

Except you. About Mack.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

All beer is awful and I have no idea how you can stomach it. Same for most wines. In fact anything below 30% alcohol level is swill.

On a side note I found out I had partially Finnish ancestry when my brother had a reaction to medicine that finns often had reactions to. Just thought I would put that out there.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

evilmiera posted:

All beer is awful and I have no idea how you can stomach it. Same for most wines. In fact anything below 30% alcohol level is swill.

On a side note I found out I had partially Finnish ancestry when my brother had a reaction to medicine that finns often had reactions to. Just thought I would put that out there.

Was it Kvilla and the reaction was :yum:?

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

V. Illych L. posted:

re: the economy, it's only really painful in the west, where a lot of the economy has been connected to the sea for a long time - a lot of supply groups, ship tenders, pump industries and engine works have been feeling the pain - over here, it's a genuine malaise which is only made more painful by successive norwegian governments completely refusing to actually try to do something with the economy here. right now we have a lot of techincally minded people with very little to do, but there seems to be an expectation that new economical sectors will spring up through the entrepreneurial efforts of a bunch of galtian supermen and that this quite removes any need for actual political action in rejigging our economy

the consequence is that norway is completely backwards in almost all high-tech sectors not connected to oil or one of the old state monopolies like telecoms or power generation because establishing a tech company in anything else than certain ICT fields is somewhat more complicated and expensive than "have technical skills and idea, can make business"

The "individual entrepreneurial supermen" perspective not only gives the government a reason not to fix current problems, but it also completely absolves the government from any responsibility towards economic degradation. Your life is your own, your cities life is it's own. Your responsibility, everyone is where they are because they deserve it.

Thus the question if the government can actually provide the welfare state once offered is nicely skirted around by suggesting that we live in new times and old relics needs to gently caress off and die.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Was it Kvilla and the reaction was :yum:?

If only.

He has schizophrenia and has had troubles with psychosis. I thought about making a joke but suddenly felt like I really shouldn't due to crippling sadness.

Another sign I'm partially Finnish, somehow.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

evilmiera posted:

I thought about making a joke but suddenly felt like I really shouldn't due to crippling sadness.

Definitely checks out

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

Definitely checks out

Fun fact: back in the 1700s and 1800s there were several waves of Finnish immigration to Finnmark, and even today the population of that particular fylke is on the bottom of most national rankings having to do with education level, average life span, cardiovascular diseases, alcohol abuse and so on. Not to mention the fact that their original homeland apparently was so awful that moving to Finnmark seemed preferable.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kopijeger posted:

Fun fact: back in the 1700s and 1800s there were several waves of Finnish immigration to Finnmark, and even today the population of that particular fylke is on the bottom of most national rankings having to do with education level, average life span, cardiovascular diseases, alcohol abuse and so on. Not to mention the fact that their original homeland apparently was so awful that moving to Finnmark seemed preferable.

Funnily enough though, Finnmark is not named for Finns. Used to the Samis were called 'Finns' and the Finns were called 'Kvens', for whatever reason. Though really many of the stereotypes about Finnish people are applied to Sami people as well, just add in religious fundamentalism, obsession with knives and whatever you can come up with as regards reindeer.

Alot of Finns also migrated to south eastern Norway in the 1500s and 1600s as well. That's what we call 'Skogfinner' (Forest Finns), though they have to a much larger extent than the Kvens been assimilated into the greater Norwegian population outside of a very few select areas. You still have quite alot of places called stuff like 'Finnskog' and 'Finnemarka' in the South East, as well as numerous 'Finnkirker' ('Finn Churches') which are usually large distinctive rocks (Probably due to the fact that the Christianity of these people was pretty tenuous and ill-defined at best).

I have no idea why these Finns were actually called 'Finns' though, probably the forest part of their name is to separate them from ordinary Finns (that is Sami).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

evilmiera posted:

On a side note I found out I had partially Finnish ancestry when my brother had a reaction to medicine that finns often had reactions to.

Water?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

evilmiera posted:

If only.

He has schizophrenia and has had troubles with psychosis. I thought about making a joke but suddenly felt like I really shouldn't due to crippling sadness.

Oooh that's not nice I hope they find something that works.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oooh that's not nice I hope they find something that works.

Oh they did, after a few months of testing to see what he would respond best to. He obviously isn't restored to who he was before the breakdown but he's stable.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I'm apparently a forest Finn. Ask me anything (I know nothing).

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

I'm apparently a forest Finn. Ask me anything (I know nothing).

How does one make tar from pinewood?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zudgemud posted:

Saatana perkele vittu makarein.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zudgemud posted:

You heat it in a kiln.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Zudgemud posted:

For best results you start out with a pine tree and remove the bark from parts of the tree, not enough to kill it, but to "injure" it, this increases sap formation in the wood, which is what you want. Do this for 2-5 years. Tree stumps and roots are also great sources if you don't want to spend that much time.

Last summer they had a big traditional tar burn going nearby me.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Going to Helsinki in June. Will finally get my hands on some proper pine tar liqueur again.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beeswax posted:

Going to Helsinki in June. Will finally get my hands on some proper pine tar liqueur again.

:beerpal:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDAuram0LhY

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Holy loving loly. :finland:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Firing up Audacity right now so I can have the chorus as my ringtone at work.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So the Sweden Institute thing ended up both hilarious and depressing.
To recap for those that didn't follow:
There is a Twitter-account @sweden owned by the Swedish Institute and every week a Swedish citizen gets to tweet from that account.
Last week it was a self-proclaimed internet expert and left-wing extremist.
She was allowed to bring her list of blocked Twitter users to the account, where the list was supposedly vetted by SweInst and according to them consisted of spambot and right-wing extremists.
That list was allowed to remain in place the following week for the next user with predictable results.

As anyone not being naive would have guessed, the list was hardly vetted since a number of known Twitter users was blocked, including Israels representative in Sweden, journalists, members of the parliament and Copenhagens major.
It was very obviously a blocklist based on political views.
Which is perfectly fine if you are civilian, but this was part of the government and the list was a public document and was of course released to the public (and correlated to 98% with the left-wing activist blocklist).
The list was also a registration of political views by guilt-by-association, and which is a big no-no if you are not FRA.

While I am perfectly fine with activists getting their turn on the @sweden account, it is still something owned by the state and should therefore strive for impartiality.
Impartiality in this case means not just relying on a self-proclaimed expert if their political agenda coincides with the people at the department, but do the same check regardless.
The main issue here is if it is ok to be partial, then it will be ok for SD-supporters to do the same thing if they get into these positions.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm honestly baffled that they didn't just pick someone else when it became apparent she came with a block-list.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cardiac posted:

So the Sweden Institute thing ended up both hilarious and depressing.
To recap for those that didn't follow:
There is a Twitter-account @sweden owned by the Swedish Institute and every week a Swedish citizen gets to tweet from that account.
Last week it was a self-proclaimed internet expert and left-wing extremist.
She was allowed to bring her list of blocked Twitter users to the account, where the list was supposedly vetted by SweInst and according to them consisted of spambot and right-wing extremists.
That list was allowed to remain in place the following week for the next user with predictable results.

As anyone not being naive would have guessed, the list was hardly vetted since a number of known Twitter users was blocked, including Israels representative in Sweden, journalists, members of the parliament and Copenhagens major.
It was very obviously a blocklist based on political views.
Which is perfectly fine if you are civilian, but this was part of the government and the list was a public document and was of course released to the public (and correlated to 98% with the left-wing activist blocklist).
The list was also a registration of political views by guilt-by-association, and which is a big no-no if you are not FRA.

While I am perfectly fine with activists getting their turn on the @sweden account, it is still something owned by the state and should therefore strive for impartiality.
Impartiality in this case means not just relying on a self-proclaimed expert if their political agenda coincides with the people at the department, but do the same check regardless.
The main issue here is if it is ok to be partial, then it will be ok for SD-supporters to do the same thing if they get into these positions.
All i hear is crybaby noises.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

MiddleOne posted:

I'm honestly baffled that they didn't just pick someone else when it became apparent she came with a block-list.

Yeah, the Block list should have been vetted.

But I'm not opposed to letting nazis and alt-right trolls miss out on using it. It's not an exercise in democracy or freedom of speech it's a stupid marketing gimmick.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Happy bunad, flagg, pølse og nasjonalisme-day

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Government Handjob posted:

Happy bunad, flagg, pølse og nasjonalisme-day

Glad torsk!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009