Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Loopoo posted:

Completely unrelated: I've got a pot of bolognese slowly ticking, it's on the 2nd lowest heat setting (gently caress electric hobs), which keeps it on a very very low simmer. Lowest heat setting seems to put it on a just-slightly-above-keep-warm function, where it's not hot enough to simmer, but it's not cool enough to let things get cold. I want to go to bed now and plan on sleeping for roughly 8 hours. Can I leave the pot cooking whilst I sleep without fear of it burning? I stuck aluminium foil on the top and wedged the lid down on top to ensure no steam escapes and dries it out, so I'm figuring I should be good to go, right? Bolognese will stay wet, so poo poo shouldn't burn?

Or am I gonna have to wake up 4 hours from now to turn it off and check on it?

Can you pop it in the oven? That's what I would do/have done in that situation.

vvv

Loopoo posted:

My pot is a nonstick pot and I have no idea if it's oven-safe.

Yeah, it's not.

moller fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

moller posted:

Can you pop it in the oven? That's what I would do/have done in that situation.

My pot is a nonstick pot and I have no idea if it's oven-safe.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

deathbot posted:

Ah, sorry guys! What I meant by 'low cholesterol' was low trans/saturated fats. But honestly, the diabetes is more important (and dangerous), so if people can just think of diabetic desserts that are tasty that's more than welcome! Mostly I've been cooking apple crumble with various healthy substitutes.

I'm just spitballing but if you make your own whipped cream it doesnt need much/any sugar.

Nut-based stuff? Dark chocolate based? Dark chocolate+heavy cream makes a nice ganache and doesnt need much sugar/carbs added.

Cheese and honey or cheese paired with a concentrated/intense sweet dessert wine like Pedro Ximenez sherry maybe.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

moller posted:

Yeah, it's not.

How hosed am I if I've used this in the oven before at around 170 degrees celsius when it clearly isn't oven proof (I just quickly googled a similar type from the same brand and it was outright not oven safe)? Will cooking in this pot mix it with gross chemicals that'll make me grow a second head, or am I alright? I made a pasta dish with melted cheese on top and didn't have an oven dish, so I just popped the pan in the oven for 30 mins. Not dangerous. Biggest risk with nonstick is heating it too high and creating toxic gases. AFAIK it doesn't mix with food cause nonstick chips are inert.

I'ma also risk leaving it on setting number 2 and hope I don't ruin it.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 12, 2017

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

moller posted:

Diabetes (dietarily) is basically carb counting: the disease, as your insulin dose is based on your estimated net carbohydrate intake. Fruit, sweet potato, and popcorn (arguably booze as well) get 99%+ of their caloric content from carbohydrate.

Of course the "low cholesterol" stipulation makes it difficult if it's read as "low fat" since there are only three macronutrients.

This is completely true, but diabetics can and should eat fresh fruit. It's pretty much the healthiest desert you can get, low calorie load, with good levels of fiber, vitamins and other nutrients.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I've recently started trying Thai fish sauce. It tastes good, but it smells absolutely awful and I've noticed I often feel nauseous after eating something with it in. Does that mean I've got a bad batch of it? Or does my digestive system just need to harden the gently caress up?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hyperlynx posted:

I've recently started trying Thai fish sauce. It tastes good, but it smells absolutely awful and I've noticed I often feel nauseous after eating something with it in. Does that mean I've got a bad batch of it? Or does my digestive system just need to harden the gently caress up?

How much are you actually using? It's usually used as a condiment and in fairly small quantities. Like a tablespoon or two at a time in a sauce, it's not something you use in large quantities in a single dish. It's a pretty intense flavour on its own.
Do you have issues after eating any other fish products?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Helith posted:

How much are you actually using? It's usually used as a condiment and in fairly small quantities. Like a tablespoon or two at a time in a sauce, it's not something you use in large quantities in a single dish. It's a pretty intense flavour on its own.
Do you have issues after eating any other fish products?

Dunno, a few generous splorts. Perhaps a tablespoon or two, not sure. And no, I'm fine with fish in general.

e: I'd heard that it's very strong tasting and so only use a little bit, but I haven't found it that strong...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

Dunno, a few generous splorts. Perhaps a tablespoon or two, not sure. And no, I'm fine with fish in general.

e: I'd heard that it's very strong tasting and so only use a little bit, but I haven't found it that strong...

Fish sauce is about the saltiest condiment on the table. Like 1,400-1700mg of sodium per tablespoon salty. If you have high blood pressure or sensitivity to sodium it's going to mess you up.

I don't know what you're dipping it with but it shouldn't already be salty or you're getting a double dose. I've seen bottles of Maggi seasoning warn in bold letters to test saltiness before adding.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

Are you cooking it, or using it raw? It smells pretty foul when raw, but cooked down in a sauce, it mellows out a lot and doesn't smell fishy at all.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

hogmartin posted:

Are you cooking it, or using it raw? It smells pretty foul when raw, but cooked down in a sauce, it mellows out a lot and doesn't smell fishy at all.

This.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Chemmy posted:

I have a soft sided cooler bag and I regularly ask grocery stores for ice, they're always happy to throw some in.

My wife decided that she actually wanted pasta until I was at work, coolerless. Is 1 hour - 1h 15m going to be too much? I guess I'll just stop somewhere more expensive and closer to home.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My wife decided that she actually wanted pasta until I was at work, coolerless. Is 1 hour - 1h 15m going to be too much? I guess I'll just stop somewhere more expensive and closer to home.

Have them put ice in a clean bag, tie it closed and put the fish on top of it for the drive.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
fish sauce is the most obnoxious smelling poo poo ever, but man it makes dishes tasty

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

lookit deez folk who aint ever had surstromming

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I've got some top sirloin steaks to grill tonight or tomorrow. The basic plan has usually been just pat dry, then salt/pepper. Should I be brushing it with oil or melted butter before it goes on the grill?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

hogmartin posted:

I've got some top sirloin steaks to grill tonight or tomorrow. The basic plan has usually been just pat dry, then salt/pepper. Should I be brushing it with oil or melted butter before it goes on the grill?

Nah, at grill temps I would be worried about the oil/butter burning, they will turn out fine without it, just don't move them around until they come free of the grate easily, at that point you have a crust and they should not stick anymore.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

al-azad posted:

Fish sauce is about the saltiest condiment on the table. Like 1,400-1700mg of sodium per tablespoon salty. If you have high blood pressure or sensitivity to sodium it's going to mess you up.

I don't know what you're dipping it with but it shouldn't already be salty or you're getting a double dose. I've seen bottles of Maggi seasoning warn in bold letters to test saltiness before adding.

That just reminds me of the fish sauce taste test where the tester retained water for a few days after drinking a bunch of it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

Have them put ice in a clean bag, tie it closed and put the fish on top of it for the drive.

Thanks.

It ended up being a moot point. The fish looked nasty today. The grass carp looked like it had been butchered by Jason Voorhees. I know I was just taught about myoglobin water in this thread, but that was not myoglobin water smeared all over the tray.

My wife had gone shopping and gotten some salmon anyway, so I guess it's for the best?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I marinate chicken in a yoghurt + spice mix, when it comes time to cooking that delicious poo poo up, can I just pour the entire contents of the marinade bag (yoghurt + chicken) into a pan and fry it? Cause some recipes say discard the marinade. But if I'm frying it then cooking it afterwards in a sauce, any bacteria will die, no?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Huh. The stuff I've got doesn't taste that salty to me, but it does indeed say on the label that it's 10,400mg per 100 mL. So that's 1,538mg per tablespoon.

e: it's happened after adding it to unsalted food, though. Like a stir fry I made.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 13, 2017

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Loopoo posted:

If I marinate chicken in a yoghurt + spice mix, when it comes time to cooking that delicious poo poo up, can I just pour the entire contents of the marinade bag (yoghurt + chicken) into a pan and fry it? Cause some recipes say discard the marinade. But if I'm frying it then cooking it afterwards in a sauce, any bacteria will die, no?

The reason you throw the marinade out is because it will interfere with the cooking process. Instead of sauteing or searing, the chicken will just poach in it's own marinade and not achieve the intended effect of the recipe.

Hyperlynx posted:

Huh. The stuff I've got doesn't taste that salty to me, but it does indeed say on the label that it's 10,400mg per 100 mL. So that's 1,538mg per tablespoon.

e: it's happened after adding it to unsalted food, though. Like a stir fry I made.

Could be a psychological thing if you're not used to cooking with it. The first time I used fish sauce (oyster sauce too) I was all excited and took a big whiff of it as soon as I got home from the store. It was shockingly gross and then was all I could taste in the finished dish.

So maybe put it away for a few weeks and come back to it once your memory of the smell fades?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Loopoo posted:

The problem with yogurt is it tends to curdle at high temps.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Eeyo posted:

The problem with yogurt is it tends to curdle at high temps.

Whisking some chickpea or wheat flour into it can help with that.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Whisking some chickpea or wheat flour into it can help with that.

Thanks for the tip

Now it's time to try making palak again.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I was going to make Beef Barbacoa in the slow cooker. The recipe calls for 5-7 lbs of beef brisket cooked for ten hours and apparently there is a god damned shortage here in Indiana because no one that's open has it. I grabbed some chuck roast as Google says it's the next best. Only grabbed 2.5 lbs, how long should it be in the cooker on high?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mentioning slow cookers, I've got one but barely use it cause whenever I cook beef or lamb in it, the stuff always turns out super tough. Is it possible to overcook things in the slowcooker? Cause I could never tell whether I was cooking stuff too short or too long. I also discovered that you don't need to add a tonne of liquid. Before, I was putting enough water in to cover everything, but a lot of stuff online said you only need a little liquid since it's a sealed environment.

I suck with slow cookers, which makes me sad, cause it's idiotproof yet I still manage to goof up on it. Any slow cooker wizards able to give advice?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
It's definitely possible to overcook things in a slow cooker, but it's also possible to just not let things go long enough. With any sort of slow cooking, checking the consistency of whatever you're cooking is more important than just following time or temp guidelines. A pork shoulder will be technically "done" at 160F but still be really tough. You can get a sense of park when that happens from the recipe, but you really need to actually poke add it to make sure the connective tissue is breaking down.

It's also really important to understand what is worth slow cooking and what isn't. You want relatively inexpensive cuts, with a bunch of fat and connective tissue. Don't use lean meats- those are almost certainly going to be a lot better cooked with high heat short cook times.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I was going to make Beef Barbacoa in the slow cooker. The recipe calls for 5-7 lbs of beef brisket cooked for ten hours and apparently there is a god damned shortage here in Indiana because no one that's open has it. I grabbed some chuck roast as Google says it's the next best. Only grabbed 2.5 lbs, how long should it be in the cooker on high?

In this case, I'd start checking it hourly around hour 3 or 4- just poke a fork in, see if you can twist it easily. Once you can easily twist the fork around, it's ready to shred.

Veritek83 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 14, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Veritek83 posted:

In this case, I'd start checking it hourly around hour 3 or 4- just poke a fork in, see if you can twist it easily. Once you can easily twist the fork around, it's ready to shred.

Cool, I'll do that, thanks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Loopoo posted:

Mentioning slow cookers, I've got one but barely use it cause whenever I cook beef or lamb in it, the stuff always turns out super tough. Is it possible to overcook things in the slowcooker? Cause I could never tell whether I was cooking stuff too short or too long. I also discovered that you don't need to add a tonne of liquid. Before, I was putting enough water in to cover everything, but a lot of stuff online said you only need a little liquid since it's a sealed environment.

I suck with slow cookers, which makes me sad, cause it's idiotproof yet I still manage to goof up on it. Any slow cooker wizards able to give advice?

The reason you shouldn't add a lot of water is because you want a good balance between the fat and gelatin so you get that sticky, richness you get in really good stock. But also roasting vegetables (tomatoes, onions, celery) have enough liquid to literally cover your meat as they cook. If you've ever used a pressure cooker making stock is like magic because you toss your bones and veggies into the pot, add just a little bit of water to start the steaming, then thirty minutes later you get several quarts of perfectly rich broth.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

About pressure cooker recipes, in recipes for tomato sauces I sometimes see instructions not to stir the tomatoes or tomato paste in after adding. The reasoning seems to be that they might scorch on the bottom, but has anyone experienced this?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Booyah- posted:

About pressure cooker recipes, in recipes for tomato sauces I sometimes see instructions not to stir the tomatoes or tomato paste in after adding. The reasoning seems to be that they might scorch on the bottom, but has anyone experienced this?

I had it happen a bit once with a really thick sauce. If your stuff is more watery then convection will spread everything around pretty easily.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm having a hard time finding an answer to this. How would you describe grass carp? Is it a meatier fish like salmon or tuna? Or would it be more like tilapia? My wife made some delicious baked salmon last night, and I'm wondering if there is anything else we could use that's similar but not $8/lb.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm having a hard time finding an answer to this. How would you describe grass carp? Is it a meatier fish like salmon or tuna? Or would it be more like tilapia? My wife made some delicious baked salmon last night, and I'm wondering if there is anything else we could use that's similar but not $8/lb.

Meaty. Bland, but whatever flavor it has has a "muddiness" like the blood line of tilapia or sometime catfish. It's good in very potent spiced dishes like Sichuan water boiled fish, but for something pretty straightforward like a baked salmon I think it would be a bit off putting without some intense flavors to drown out the off flavors.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's like tilapia and catfish, breading and deep frying works well, especially with cajun spices.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ah, thanks. So not good for this application. I'll keep it in mind for more strongly spiced / sauced dishes, though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Friendly reminder: bulk cooking is where it's at. I spent most of Friday cooking bolognese + spicy chicken curry simultaneously, and then I froze them all in batches. Enough food to last me the week for days I'm too lazy to want to cook, and it's an insanely good deterrent to prevent me ordering junk food / pizza when I get back from uni and am starving.

I just take poo poo out the freezer the day before and stick it in the fridge, based off of what I think I'll feel like the following day. Then when I get home, it's a simple matter of just cooking rice or pasta, rice takes 20 mins, pasta takes 10. Easy life. It's also seriously cut down on the amount of money I spend on takeaways, that poo poo is stupid expensive. Like £15 a pop for a meal that 1) doesn't taste that great and 2) barely keeps me filled for a few hours. Better to spend £40 for a week's worth of meals imo.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Made some fried pork tonight and now I have a pot of used vegetable oil (about a pinky knuckle deep) and I don't know what to do with it. Dumping it down the drain seems not so great for the plumbing, any other ideas?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wait for it to cool down, filter through a paper towel, save till the next time you need to fry something that you don't mind getting a porky flavor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Wait for it to cool down, filter through a paper towel, save till the next time you need to fry something that you don't mind getting a porky flavor

Is there a correct way to do this? I've got a paper towel secured over a glass jar and it's taking a while. I assume this is normal though.