Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
The best part will be when Usopp is all "I have an armada at my back, with five thousand men! And leading them is the king of the pirates! So you better just give up!" And they call his bluff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Well they'd be right, Luffy isn't the King of the Pirates.

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
I will fight you. The pirate king is the one who sails the seas with the most freedom, and Luffy just sailed up to Totland and crashed a wedding.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Minion of Freya posted:

I will fight you. The pirate king is the one who sails the seas with the most freedom, and Luffy just sailed up to Totland and crashed a wedding.

luffy would fight you back, my friend, for he is not yet the pirate king. but someday........

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
Hard logic to fight with there.

Anyone remember their expectations of Shanks on first read? I remember expecting him to turn up in every arc. I thought he would have been shown as a washup early on to show how tough the Grand Line is, as a prisoner in Skypeia. I thought he might be a villain for Luffy to reason with. I was immensely satisfied to find out he was in the top four most badass dudes on the planet.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

shanks has always been an end goal for luffy so I never expected to see him until waaaaaaaay late. he was always gonna be a big deal

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Girlfriend started watching One Piece with me and every time we enter a new arc her question is always "Are we going to see Shanks yet?" so I can safely say that at least in her case, he definitely stood out. Also it's really fun to watch her watch one piece because she knows literally zero spoilers.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

tsob posted:

Most of those aren't major villians. Of them, only Hody, Doflamingo and Moria are major villains, and even of them at the very least Doflamingo doesn't have a tragic backstory that makes him more sympathetic. If anything, his makes him less sympathetic, since it highlights that he was always an entitled poo poo while his family who were raised in the same circumstances turned out much different.

What was Moria's tragic backstory supposed to be anyway, apart from "crew got murdered by Kaidou"? Like, was there any indication of him having been less of a spiteful lazy dick before that.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Bushmeister posted:

What was Moria's tragic backstory supposed to be anyway, apart from "crew got murdered by Kaidou"? Like, was there any indication of him having been less of a spiteful lazy dick before that.

I think it's implied he looked down on the Strawhats caring about each other because all caring for his crew did was run him into a buzzsaw. So he ended up being this distant amoral monster because that's the lesson he learned in the new world.

I mean he was probably still always pirate scum but the cartoonish evilness came from losing everything.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bushmeister posted:

He was shown to be fit and have a chin prior to losing to Kaidou. And he cared for his old crew.

Then his spirit was broken and he lost his entire crew. So he became lazy and fat, then created a crew of zombies so he would not have any attachments to them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here he is 20 years ago.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bushmeister posted:

TBH I feel like losing a crew big enough to fill a town, full of people you clearly liked on some level, is pretty tragic regardless of how much of a dick you are.

Although the real tragedy is that he dismissed Zoro as cannon fodder trash instead of making his shadow Ryoma 2.0.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

at least zoro didn't get turned into a penguin

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

Fair enough, I didn't remember the bit about Moria being so down on the Strawhats caring about each other. It has been a while since I last read Thriller Bark. I don't think they show the mean, lean Moria in the manga either?

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
They do, but not until chapter 0.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Scratchman Apoo posted:

If you think Hody had a tragic past then you might have read it wrong.

This thread has proven time and time again that taking things metaphorically is not their strong suit.

In good news, Funimation Now as the first 2 post timeskip episodes up and I'm happy to say that Fake Sanji and Robin have exactly the voices you think they have.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Ryaomon posted:

This thread has proven time and time again that taking things metaphorically is not their strong suit.

In good news, Funimation Now as the first 2 post timeskip episodes up and I'm happy to say that Fake Sanji and Robin have exactly the voices you think they have.

Is it Brooklyn and Southern Accents?

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Ryaomon posted:

I want to believe they somehow got the 4Kids VAs back.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
They have the same voice actor gimmick that the Japanese VAs do; they swapped roles. Fake Luffy is voiced by Sanji, Fake Zoro by Usopp etc. They even line up 1-to-1, same role swaps.

Edit: Also yes they gave fake sanji a brooklyn accent of course

mdct fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 12, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Little Garden Arc
- This arc was super good! The intial premise of Dino Island didn't grab me much, but a full out brawl between the whole crew and Devil Fruit users was really great.

- Creating and molding wax is a really good power, and it was really stretched out to JoJo levels of "Here's a million stupid things you can do with being able to control wax". I even liked No. 5 this time around, I actually did think he was done after Whiskey Peak, but his Breath Bomb Bullet move was loving rad. Hoping the fights become more puzzle-y than Luffy Punches Hard/Zoro Slashes Hard/Sanji Kicks Hard, but if it doesn't, that's fine, those hits feel super satisfying when they do happen.

- Zoro deciding to pose in a cool way before he died and and also deciding to cut his legs off so he could at least struggle against death rather than accepting was baller, the exchange between him and Nami of "What are you going to do after you're free? You won't have any legs!" "....Who knows.....but my plan is to win" killed me, I'm becoming a real mark for Zoro.

- I know people say you need time to warm up to Usopp, but I dunno, I really love the guy already. He has ambition and desires and his a huge asset despite being one of the weakest Straw Hats. His admiration of the giants's strength and will as something he wants for himself was really warm and you can tell he's a person with drive. Really want him to go to Giant Island and make Giant Friends

- Speaking of, I loved the giants. Wasn't expecting to like them as much because I more agreed with Nami that this constant fighting over nothing is stupid, but they're super charming and their love for each other won me over real good.. The reveal at the end that their argument mirrored Zoro's and Sanji's contest and that the two giant strange rock holes were skulls from their initial contest was loving great, Oda is really good at surprising me about things in ways s I did not know I could be surprised about or by.

- I completely forgot Sanji was a character in this manga until the end when he talks to No. 0. It's really cool that his absence doesn't even register yet he can still move the story forward in a cool way and make you feel good about the character that doesn't directly involve combat. I'm beginning to think Oda is very good at this.

- The scope of characters and world are also really good. Smoker and his crew get like five pages at the very end of the arc to re-establish themselves as players on the board and the little mini-stories at the beginning of chapters that wordlessly tell us what other characters like Buggy and Coby are doing are fun and super smart for keeping us abreast of what they're up to without constant cutting away from the main story or dumping exposition on us when they're inevitably re-introduced to the story.

yeah I super enjoyed this arc! It was a quick, fun, almost standalone little story that wrapped up, and is probably up there with Arlong Park for just a super satisfying and well told story. One Piece good

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 12, 2017

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The East Blue Saga brings the first 5 crew members together and sets up the very beginnings of the story and establishes what's to come and what you should sort of expect expect from the goofy characters and stuff like devil fruits and the like, but the Baroque Works Saga is what really kicks the storytelling and worldbuilding into high gear. It's good stuff. And I'm glad you're fond of Usopp, he's my personal favorite.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Moltrey posted:

Little Garden Arc
- Zoro deciding to pose in a cool way before he died and and also deciding to cut his legs off so he could at least struggle against death rather than accepting was baller, the exchange between him and Nami of "What are you going to do after you're free? You won't have any legs!" "....Who knows.....but my plan is to win" killed me, I'm becoming a real mark for Zoro.

Thanks for reminding me why Zoro became my favorite character since way back. He needs more moments like this.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Also forgot to post this panel that really made me laugh just for everyone's :eyepop:, made even better cause you can't even see their face

Professor Wayne posted:

Thanks for reminding me why Zoro became my favorite character since way back. He needs more moments like this.
Aw, I'm bummed he apparently gets a bit more shortchanged, but it was one hell of a moment.

Here's the whole exchange I'm talking about if you don't remember a One Piece chapter from 2000

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Youre gonna make me read this whole manga again if you keep posting this stuff

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Zoro still gets some cool moments, they're just spread out a lot because his fights pretty much all follow the same formula, unfortunately; that said, the end of his most recent fight in Dressrosa was a great example of "well, he's pretty strong then :stare:".

Also, congrats on reaching the arc that has what I seem to remember being the first proper example of the Oda-patented [BLANK]-face. Skypiea has a good [BLANK]-face too.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Moltrey posted:

Aw, I'm bummed he apparently gets a bit more shortchanged, but it was one hell of a moment.

Zoro just doesn't get enough of them. You've still got a bunch of greatest hits to go for all the crew.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
gently caress, I just realized that Usopp's post-timeskip outfit is based on Elbaf fashion :prepop:

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

What fights, so far, has Zoro had at 100% power? Because most of I can recall the dude's been riddled with more injuries than a heavyweight boxing champ. The slam dunks at the Sabaody reunion? Because most others I have this nagging feeling that he was still nursing some body-splitting blow or another at the time.

edit: dude should learn how to defend, is what I am saying

Bushmeister fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 12, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Zoro has 100% defended his swordsman honor and his crew, what else could he need to defend?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bushmeister posted:

What fights, so far, has Zoro had at 100% power? Because most of I can recall the dude's been riddled with more injuries than a heavyweight boxing champ. The slam dunks at the Sabaody reunion? Because most others I have this nagging feeling that he was still nursing some body-splitting blow or another at the time.

edit: dude should learn how to defend, is what I am saying

I don't think he was hurt during Dressrosa.

But I think the only time we've really seen him go 100% is Enies Lobby. I still want to see how that technique has evolved, it has to come up in Wano....

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Professor Wayne posted:

I think my favorite Zoro moment

(spoiler for the new guy)

is right after the timeskip when he gets on the wrong boat and chops it in half effortlessly. Partially because it's super cool how strong he is, but also because he tries to play it as this cruel twist of fate for the other crew when it's really that he's a colossal dumbass :v:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's also cool simply for being a parallel of Mihawk's introduction.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The time skip makes Zoro worse, IMO. He goes from being a guy with a rather cruel sense of humor who's always being pushed to his limits in fights, to a :geno: guy who rarely fights seriously.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Minion of Freya posted:

The best part will be when Usopp is all "I have an armada at my back, with five thousand men! And leading them is the king of the pirates! So you better just give up!" And they call his bluff.

Of all the old Usopp lies-turned-reality, him having a massive army backing him is the one I want to see most

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

The time skip makes Zoro worse, IMO. He goes from being a guy with a rather cruel sense of humor who's always being pushed to his limits in fights, to a :geno: guy who rarely fights seriously.

Lol if you think he's been challenged at all yet.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Man, early One Piece was pretty darn fantastic, wasn't it? Now I feel like rereading it all again.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
zoro has not had to try like at all since the timeskip

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
We're all just waiting for Wano, since there's no doubt Zoro will finally have to put up some effort against powerful opponents.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

tbp posted:

zoro has not had to try like at all since the timeskip

Yeah he's basically been clowning dudes left and right, it's honestly making Luffy look a little bad in comparison when he can just literally scare someone that Luffy nearly lost against into submission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lpzie posted:

Lol if you think he's been challenged at all yet.

I imagine that's part of the guys problem, though I think facing off against people they're clearly stronger than is a necessary step to maintain internal consistency for the settings power balance given that the crew just came back from two years training and need to be able to beat the world's strongest powers within a short chronological time frame (in universe). The same thing happened with East Blue, Alabasta is the first time the crew is really challenged.