Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Condiv posted:

go doesn't have generics still, cause generics aren't a perfect solution so the writers of go were like "why bother :shrug:"

Can we just agree that go should be left to be used by sysadmins who need something more powerful than bash but less mindfucky than perl?

It's not really a real language, robbe pikke is an idiot ohgod I write everything in go, i am the terrible programmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

cis autodrag posted:

do you work with me?

sadly (??) i don't get any cool weird mumps stories out of my place.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

OWLS! posted:

Can we just agree that go should be left to be used by sysadmins who need something more powerful than bash but less mindfucky than perl?

Absolutely not, for them there's python.

Or if they work for me, nix. :engleft:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Shaggar posted:

c# doesn't have good dependency management (or build management) which is by far its biggest problem

java appeared in 1995, c# in 2000. maven was released in 2004, i'm sure a c# equivalent will be released in 2009 at the latest

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ah excellent my IIGS RAM expansion and CF adapter arrived

the CF adapter is an IDE card with an IDE-CF adapter attached lol

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
go is insulting garbage and should be strongly rejected by anyone with taste

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i'm really excited to do some more rust now that i know that you can use map on options.

also and_then (flatMap)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

VikingofRock posted:

It comes from the fact that rust makes heavy use of things being expressions. It's a little strange at first but you get used to it after a bit. Plus it's pretty unlikely to lead to a runtime error because it'll probably be a type error if you mess it up. So your IDE / editor should catch it for you as soon as you write the mistake.

There's someone (I forget who) in YOSPOS who has an everburning hatred of the semicolon thing though, so opinions differ and I guess some people never get used to it.

why does the semicolon need to be omitted? why not take the last expression in the block as the value of the block, like scala?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

if i use the application context to store poo poo like dropdown list content for common pages to avoid hitting the db all the time how badly am i going to hate myself when it ends up with hundreds of badly named objects getting loaded for no reqson?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Condiv posted:

why does the semicolon need to be omitted? why not take the last expression in the block as the value of the block, like scala?

it behaves the same way as scala - "thing;" has type unit, so { a; b; c; } is different to { a; b; c } and, in a function, is the same as {a; b; return c;} but "return" only works for functions (and closures?), not arbitrary blocks

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
basically if you have a semicolon at the end, the "last statement" that gets returned is the empty bit between that semicolon and the end of the block

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

if i use the application context to store poo poo like dropdown list content for common pages to avoid hitting the db all the time how badly am i going to hate myself when it ends up with hundreds of badly named objects getting loaded for no reqson?

do you have a real performance issue wrt the hitting the db every time? Can you send the drop down list on its own to the client and have the client cache it? If your data access layer doesn't have a caching system of its own you could use ObjectCache to add a basic cache w/ expiry but I wouldn't do it unless you have a real reason to.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Shaggar posted:

welcome to java like 10 years ago

its always weird when i come across a giant java project and see that build.xml in the root.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

caches are a thing and are available in all sorts of transparent mechanisms for all your favorite languages

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
with java nad spring you just

code:
@Cacheable("yospos")
public List<DumbDropDownItem> getDumbShit() {
  return stupidCallToDatabase();
}
and now if you need it to be dynamic you're not refactoring your application

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Shaggar posted:

do you have a real performance issue wrt the hitting the db every time? Can you send the drop down list on its own to the client and have the client cache it? If your data access layer doesn't have a caching system of its own you could use ObjectCache to add a basic cache w/ expiry but I wouldn't do it unless you have a real reason to.

no performance issues but i get weirdly obsessed with reducing the number of times we're making the same stupid call over and over when the data never changes (it is literally a list of countries).

for some reason i literally did not even think about actual explicit caching. Probably because I've spent too long looking at the old "everything is a session object!" code base.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Dang, so close, programming in JS bad enough but working with inconsistent and just weird data sources is worse:

Mine on the left is supposed to launch Monday. Fixed the missing blue numbers this morning and webdev guy fixed a critical bug in the admin tool too. So get to watch on the floor Monday and hope everything actually works properly 🤞.

Works on my machine (tm):

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 12, 2017

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

oh my god i removed a nuget package and it deleted a shitload of folders with other stuff in them

how is nuget so bad at what it does???

edit: how am i so bad at what i do???

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 12, 2017

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nuget sucks so bad. it allows packages to make changes to your project on addition or removal which is the dumbest loving thing possible

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Doc Hawkins posted:

Absolutely not, for them there's python.

Or if they work for me, nix. :engleft:

You monster.

(Reject any language that uses whitespace for anything meaningful)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jabor posted:

basically if you have a semicolon at the end, the "last statement" that gets returned is the empty bit between that semicolon and the end of the block

no no no no no what the gently caress is this poo poo

yet another thing where Lisp is an improvement on its successors

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

OWLS! posted:

ah so all of them

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

OWLS! posted:

You monster.

Only use JavaScript, got it

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Corla Plankun posted:

i thought this way, until i set up a graph db at work and tried to write a gremlin query and, ohhhhhh boy. Oh boy.

I use the poo poo out of neo4j at work, it's query language is good and easy except sometimes you will write something that looks perfectly fine only to discover it has to scan the entire database 3 times or something stupid like that. Once they put profiling tools on it it was smooth sailing.

Never tried gremlin, it looks bad and not good.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

eschaton posted:

no no no no no what the gently caress is this poo poo

yet another thing where Lisp is an improvement on its successors

combining functional expression-oriented approach and cargo cult algol syntax is always ugly and lovely. braces and semicolons are designed for imperative logic

this is why c#, scala, rust, es6 javascript all decided to introduce shorthand notations for single-expression lambdas, so at least those are not too bad

but it's imo a language design smell when you have two different syntaxes for two semantically identical operations

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 12, 2017

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MrMoo posted:

Dang, so close, programming in JS bad enough but working with inconsistent and just weird data sources is worse:

Mine on the left is supposed to launch Monday. Fixed the missing blue numbers this morning and webdev guy fixed a critical bug in the admin tool too. So get to watch on the floor Monday and hope everything actually works properly 🤞.

Works on my machine (tm):

the oms i work on has a long term plan to move to javascript and boy howdy am i gonna move on before that happens

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThePeavstenator posted:

Only use Brainfuck, got it

FYP

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

every project-file-generator build system supports targeting ninja these days. it's not a meson thing

yeah, we tend to target ninja from our cmake when we can, it's faster than make for incremental builds and it's nice not to have to remember to add "-j" to get parallel builds

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

re: git chat, here's a 2014 paper on people being afraid of it: http://www.ppig.org/sites/default/files/2014-PPIG-25th-Church.pdf

quote:

We postulate that it is a combination of the Hidden Dependencies which leaves the user
unclear of the state (’where am I? I’ll just reset everything’), the within-episode Premature
Commitment (’did I switch branches before doing that push? How do I back out of that?’)
and the issue that the dependencies are between abstract entities (’is it my local or my remote
master that my branch is up to date with?’) that causes the experience of fear and associated
risk aversion. This analytical analysis also explains why the UI tooling for Git (Figure 1), that
was used in the second study, did little to mitigate the usability difficulties.

tl:dr; people who actually understand source control still stick to ritualistic patterns associated with novice users; not because they lack comprehension, but because they never feel confident with the tool and are actually afraid it's gonna gently caress things up for them.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
"after i run git commit i do a git push right?"

"well do you want to push your commits?"

"no what do i do next"

people refuse to learn things and just hope that rote memorization of operations will awlays work and are still expected to be thought of as competent developers by their peers.

which they are not.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
git is more disastrous the more you learn about it, like how "checkout" will reset a modified file without warning

for reasons

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

git is straightforward and simple

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

"after i run git commit i do a git push right?"

"well do you want to push your commits?"

"no what do i do next"

people refuse to learn things and just hope that rote memorization of operations will awlays work and are still expected to be thought of as competent developers by their peers.

which they are not.

'here's a scientific paper proving that git is a user-hostile mess'

*continues blaming dumbass users for not having the 1337est swole-brain*

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

MononcQc posted:

tl:dr; people who actually understand source control still stick to ritualistic patterns associated with novice users; not because they lack comprehension, but because they never feel confident with the tool and are actually afraid it's gonna gently caress things up for them.

i could see this. once you've got something that works you really don't want to rock the boat

that said every once in a while i do learn something new about git, like git add -p, and it makes my day and gets included my workflow

i'm never gonna apologize for refusing to git rebase+squash on every pull request tho

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

oh hell yeah i found an Apple MIDI adapter in a box of cables

combine that with the Ensoniq sound chip at the core of the Mirage sampling keyboard that's in the computer for some reason and I can make some cool tunes on my GS

the sound chip that got them sued by Apple Corps for entering the music business while being named Apple lol

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 13, 2017

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

St Evan Echoes posted:

the oms i work on has a long term plan to move to javascript and boy howdy am i gonna move on before that happens

You have to enjoy it with 2-3 day minimum time to push a release into production, it's awesome getting called up on things fixed a week ago.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

well I found a... more or less POSIX-compliant mishmash of BSD, System V, and other Unix environments that runs on top of System 6. it was last updated in 1996 but it has a preemptive multitasking kernel that can perform jobs in the background while the desktop is running! on a 2.5MHz processor!

i let it install for a few hours (the distribution i had came on 18 compressed disks with an installer that decompressed them lol) while i played stellaris and it seems to work as advertised :shrug: haven't been able to set up orca with it yet. apparently it's for people who wanted a unixy shell for use with Orca or who wanted to run communications programs in the background.

yes, it has the most important program of a linux

and a very slow vt100-compatible desktop terminal

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 13, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

NihilCredo posted:

combining functional expression-oriented approach and cargo cult algol syntax is always ugly and lovely. braces and semicolons are designed for imperative logic

this is why c#, scala, rust, es6 javascript all decided to introduce shorthand notations for single-expression lambdas, so at least those are not too bad

but it's imo a language design smell when you have two different syntaxes for two semantically identical operations

are you talking about underscore syntax? otherwise, using semicolons are a code smell in scala. they're only useful for stuffing multiple expressions into a single line

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
the irrational fear of semicolons is the worst fad to affect modern programming. just loving terminate your statements like a grownup. one more keystroke is not going to kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
the worst trend in modern programming is the continued support for “statements” when the superiority of making every construct an expression was demonstrated decades ago

• Locked thread