Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

So it's the same system they use in x-wing. There's a lot of maneuver fiddling you can do that won't be possible with puzzle bases, or it becomes messier (railroad tracks for bumping for example). OTOH, it does create new opportunities for positioning, like lining up with the extruding part aligned or unaligned with friends and foes. Whether that is worth the additional measurement burdens we'll have to see but I don't like that there are essentially "two" ranges for charging: aligned and unaligned puzzle portions.

I think maybe you assume it's more complex than it is. The only time you lock bases together is to make up a unit. Other than that units act as independent bases, with a footprint of exactly their physical shape. Unlike X-Wing the templates go on the side of the unit, so bumping (collision) is actually much simpler - you slide the edge along the template until you hit a thing, then stop, no need to fish the template out from beneath. Which is a good loving thing, because charging enemies is pretty important to a fantasy battles game. When two units engage in melee, whichever one did the moving then aligns to the enemy by touching the front of their trays, but notably not by interlocking.

You're also allowed to treat your own sticky-outy puzzle bits as not existing for the purposes of collision, though I've only read that section of rules once so I'm not completely sure how it works.

edit: I think maybe I misunderstood you about aligned puzzle portions, but for that to happen requires VERY precise alignment. Certainly I've never seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I play tournament x-wing enough that I know with enough practice that the protruding portions will definitely become part of the movement tactics for the game, especially because you can shift sideways. I split the base set with a friend and we'll be proxying everything else with our other fantasy minis. FFG already has promo kits lined up but I doubt it'll take off.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

I play tournament x-wing enough that I know with enough practice that the protruding portions will definitely become part of the movement tactics for the game, especially because you can shift sideways. I split the base set with a friend and we'll be proxying everything else with our other fantasy minis. FFG already has promo kits lined up but I doubt it'll take off.

Well it's hard to argue with your experience, but it seems to me there will be much more system mastery involved in using turns to charge straight ahead. Since the arc is drawn on one side of your tray, the opposite swings wide, resulting in more distance traveled the wider your unit is. Since you only need to tap the enemy to fully align to them, very wide units can get some crazy distances off.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
What happens to this thread if GW is no longer a Bad Company

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

MCPeePants posted:

Well it's hard to argue with your experience, but it seems to me there will be much more system mastery involved in using turns to charge straight ahead. Since the arc is drawn on one side of your tray, the opposite swings wide, resulting in more distance traveled the wider your unit is. Since you only need to tap the enemy to fully align to them, very wide units can get some crazy distances off.

Yeah, it only takes a mm here and there to make all the difference. Believe me, people will get good enough that it'll become a thing. Whether or not it's good, IDK, it's different, but it's an extra concern/burden to lining up bases flush.

Pawl posted:

Then we get the sequel, Bad Company 2, which was superior.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Pawl posted:

it goes back to what this thread has really been about all along

general wargame chat, possum chat, gundam chat etc

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Pawl posted:

Moola posted:

it goes back to what this thread has really been about all along

general wargame chat, possum chat, gundam chat etc

Ya... No change really.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Pawl posted:

We are already living this dream, friendo, and I'm the OP so that makes it official.

It is hereby resolved that GW is good and cool.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Death Thread 2017 Memorial GW is Good Thread.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
GW can have all the crappy rules they want if, in the end, the games don't last 3 hours (2 of which are spent arguing and flipping through books) and they actually keep doing customer outreach then I'd say that they've moved from 'bad' to 'benign' in my books.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think they still need to stop abusing independent retailers, make games with good rules (not just "playable because we added points" but actually modernized rules that compete with other modern games), stop abusing their own employees, and prove that they will continue to support the products they sell for a reasonable amount of time after they sell them.

That last point is the one that will take the longest. I want to see a track record spanning multiple years, of the company not loving over customers who just bought a product they were marketing and selling. Even if that product has been on sale for a while. It's as easy as openly giving honest information about when a given product will be obsoleted by rules changes or dropping a game. E.g., if you sell me a model for a game, and you already know internally you'll be dropping support for that model in the next version of that game which is coming out in a few months, you should inform me of that so I can make a good decision about whether or not to buy it.

GW has made substantial improvements over the last two years but they're not yet at a point where the company should be considered trustworthy, and the rules for their games are still sub-par.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TKIY posted:

We are already living this dream, friendo, and I'm the OP so that makes it official.

It is hereby resolved that GW is good and cool.

please close thread tia

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

please close thread tia

DENIED

TKIY fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 12, 2017

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Look who's back on the program
Hookin' up another fly joint
When I flow on the slow jam

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Thank god. New thread reads like /r/neckbeard

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
gas both threads tbh

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

The Deleter posted:

gas the other thread tbh

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
One cannot deny the nature of the Death Thread and expect to stand against the test of time. Look upon it, and tremble.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
WHO RUN DEATHTHREAD TOWN?!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Dermatitis Personae

Atlas Hugged

A poster who really likes poo poo and death threads where you can poo poo in. This person has a lot of passion for what he does as evidenced by the Neo Death Thread.

Notable Posts: Neo Death Thread

Boneheaded Moves: Opened a new death thread within hours of the previous one getting locked, including a massive OP. Makes you think Atlas Hugged had it pre-written and had been waiting for his chance to have his own Death Thread. What the gently caress, Atlas Hugged?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Masterblaster?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

:coolfish:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I just finished writing out a blurb about Battlefront too :smith:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Post it here friendo

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

:justpost:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Battlefront

Like Warlord, these guys are trying to make historic games more palatable to the masses by focusing on "cinematic" gameplay over "historical accuracy", except unlike Warlord they've gone for 15mm scale instead of 28mm. As well as this, they've also joined the queue of companies adapting or adopting the X-Wing game style and presentation to create a gateway game using tanks only, imaginatively called Tanks!

Notable game: Flames of War, Team Yankee, Tanks!

Boneheaded moves: They also do not have their finger on the pulse of what gamers want, leading them to sink lots of money into producing minis for a Vietnam game that nobody really wanted and didn't make sense in the system, and woefully under producing product for their cold war gone hot game Team Yankee. Because in a system that allows a greater focus on armoured vehicles than infantry, who would ever have guessed that people would be desperate to see all the cool NATO and Warsaw Pact vehicles from the movies of our childhood slug it out on the table? In addition, they have a pathological need to treat Soviet forces in all eras as inferior, low skill, low tech, hordes of conscripts forces akin to NPCs in an RTS, despite numerous arguments supported by mountains of documentary evidence to the contrary, feeding the not mutually exclusive American and Wehraboo sense of superiority. And we all love to play games with Wehraboos.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The Deleter posted:

gas both threads tbh

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Gas furries.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I was so lost. The hole that the death thread left in my bookmarks was matched only by the hole in my heart.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Please rename thread Atlas Hugbox to reflect the content better, tia

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Please rename thread Atlas Hugbox to reflect the content better, tia

That's just hurtful. Here in the Death Thread we love and respect our fellow stupid posters.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

TKIY posted:

That's just hurtful. Here in the Death Thread we love and respect our fellow stupid posters.

Ok, whatever you say literal Hitler.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
Is GW good? Is GW bad? I can't handle this rollercoaster of emotions

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Pawl posted:

GW is, was, and ever shall be. Amen.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

The death thread is full of thoughtful, informative miniature wargaming analysis; it is truly a treasure

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Pawl posted:

It's insanely good

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
reopen the other thread but refocus it on complaining that this thread exists

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
All GW threads are hug box echo chambers.

Gas everything.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

reopen the other thread but refocus it on complaining that this thread exists

The Death Thread Thread 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017