Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

fuf posted:

More tooltips would help a lot with the technical stuff in CMANO.
Fair.

quote:

1) An OOB window where you can actually click the units to select them, including airfields. It's hard to select stuff stuff when the zooming and panning is kinda jerky and slow.

This has been available since Day-1:

You can sort units either by group membership (or alphabetic order) or by their mission tasking, and clicking any of them selects it centers the map on it. Through this window you can also change their proficiency level if in ScenEdit mode.

quote:

2) An improved message log that doesn't just present information as strings of tiny text. Give us some columns, icons and colours.

The message log can either be printed directly on the map (which is the default), or it can appear on a separate window:

The separate window offers two distinct advantages:
1) It can be placed anywhere independently of the main map window (even on another monitor; and some folks even put it on their tablets).
2) You can filter the messages through any keyword.

This is also a feature available from Day-1.

quote:

Bonus 3) Replace that ear-piercing siren that plays with every missile launch, or at least reduce it from 3 WHOOPS to a single WHOOP. I think radio chatter would be much cooler than the current (awful) sound effects.

1) You can turn music & sound effects on/off.
2) All music & sound effects are stored as individual sound files and can be customized at will.

(...you have the game, right?)

Dimitris fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

Units have radar receivers, let me know when you are being illuminated/locked up.

There is something very close to this already in: When a fire-control radar lights up (and you detect it), you see it listed in red instead of white color in the contact emissions.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Hedonist posted:

Unless I'm missing something I'd like to be able to click on a message in the message log and have the screen center on what just happened. For instance, if an aircraft takes off it'd be nice to click on that in the message log and have the screen center on that aircraft.

There is something very similar to this already available: You can have any message type generate a pop-up window which will both stop the sim clock and offer you the option to center the map on the event.

Now undoubtedly someone will say "well I want to click on a message in the past and center the map on the message event". But think: You click on a past takeoff message, the map centers there..... and the plane is long gone. Useful?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dimitris posted:

I own NI and CMANO. Bought a couple of copies of NI for friends, too.

The sound effects are awful and that music is an afterthought. I _could_ go and replace them, but the question was how to make it more accessible. We're offering suggestions.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Dimitris posted:

There is something very similar to this already available: You can have any message type generate a pop-up window which will both stop the sim clock and offer you the option to center the map on the event.

Now undoubtedly someone will say "well I want to click on a message in the past and center the map on the message event". But think: You click on a past takeoff message, the map centers there..... and the plane is long gone. Useful?

I don't know how I missed that in the options.

I wish I had a second monitor for the detachable message log.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Dimitris posted:

2) All music & sound effects are stored as individual sound files and can be customized at will.

Maybe it should be less hideously obnoxious by default instead of suggesting people dig through game files or disable all sound entirely? Don't be a dick.

Dimitris posted:

Still, yes.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I downloaded the most recent community scenarios pack for cmano and when trying to run them I'm getting this error

You have (explicitly or implicitly) attempted to load a database that does not exist on the DB folder.

What's up with that?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I haven't played since last year so maybe this has been changed in the meantime but the thing that annoyed me the most about the UI was having to switch to Unit view to see fuel remaining for my little groups of fighters. Just give me the one from the group with the lowest fuel amount or something.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

cool new Metroid game posted:

I downloaded the most recent community scenarios pack for cmano and when trying to run them I'm getting this error

You have (explicitly or implicitly) attempted to load a database that does not exist on the DB folder.

What's up with that?

update, the most recent community scenarios are using a DB thats in a new patch.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I haven't played since last year so maybe this has been changed in the meantime but the thing that annoyed me the most about the UI was having to switch to Unit view to see fuel remaining for my little groups of fighters. Just give me the one from the group with the lowest fuel amount or something.

~~~~we've fixed thisss!!!~~~~

we show all the dudes in a group's fuel status with little bars etc on the info column thing on the right

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

What's up with that?

oh and if you don't want to update everything (eg you want to stay on the latest release) just take the DB folder from the latest patch.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Baloogan posted:

update, the most recent community scenarios are using a DB thats in a new patch.

I'm running the steam version, about says v1.11 Service Release 7 build 906.26. is the steam build slightly behind the matrix download or did I gently caress something up?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

I'm running the steam version, about says v1.11 Service Release 7 build 906.26. is the steam build slightly behind the matrix download or did I gently caress something up?

yeh we got release candidates on the matrix forums

what generally happens is scenario authors request new units, new units are put into latest DBs, scenario authors use the latest&greatest DBs because tehy want to use the units they requested so community scenario packs are often on the latest dbs available.

ive run into that problem myself, loading up a save from a user on my dev copy and realizing even tho i updated my DBs the week before im once again out of date

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Dimitris posted:

This has been available since Day-1:

You can sort units either by group membership (or alphabetic order) or by their mission tasking, and clicking any of them selects it centers the map on it. Through this window you can also change their proficiency level if in ScenEdit mode.

Oh drat I knew about this window but didn't think you could click to select. That's cool.

Dimitris posted:

The message log can either be printed directly on the map (which is the default), or it can appear on a separate window:

It's super hard to grok because it's just a long string of homogeneous text. It does it's job but that information would be much better presented with columns, icons and colours.

Dimitris posted:

Yeah I already switched out that effect I'm just saying the sound could be improved a lot.

Dimitris posted:

"well I want to click on a message in the past and center the map on the message event". But think: You click on a past takeoff message, the map centers there..... and the plane is long gone. Useful?

Yep still useful.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

~~~~we've fixed thisss!!!~~~~

we show all the dudes in a group's fuel status with little bars etc on the info column thing on the right

Cool thank you

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The community pack on the steam workshop and the site don't seem to work. It says the database they're using doesn't exist.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im starting to think the DBs should be included in the community scenario pack

but yeah community scenario pack is expecting the DBs from http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4268010&mpage=3&key= https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B205vpZC1pGmd20taHExbXpobU0/view?usp=sharing I guess.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

On the message log, how about you send out the log as structured data on a TCP connection, sort of like log4j's TCP appender. That way, it will take about 2 hours before someone writes a far better log viewer as an addon. Hell I'd do it if no one else did.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
its already being streamed to disk, check your Logs directory. Someone made a program that reads it out to you.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Baloogan posted:

its already being streamed to disk, check your Logs directory. Someone made a program that reads it out to you.

Ah cool, I'll check it out!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

baloogan add "supports real real time play" to the steam thing it works a charm i've had it on for a week now testing a scenario and yeah it's fine

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

baloogan add "supports real real time play" to the steam thing it works a charm i've had it on for a week now testing a scenario and yeah it's fine

wow really? run one Command.exe for a whole week?

We're nuts about managing resources / memory under the hood in command, but wow that is gotta be a record!

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I'm surprised Windows didn't crash running for a week, let alone Command...

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

yeah it was fine mostly, the only weird thing that happened was that a whole flight just kinda turned north instead of doing CAP in its designated area, but thats a thing i've seen happen when normally playing but i'm not super observant about non-immediately visible issues so take it with a pinch of salt

Unimpressed posted:

I'm surprised Windows didn't crash running for a week, let alone Command...

mate i've had my PC streaming silent hunter 3 for a month without Windows eating poo poo and dying, the worst it did this week was spit out a creators update ad to me

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

fuf posted:

Bonus 3) Replace that ear-piercing siren that plays with every missile launch, or at least reduce it from 3 WHOOPS to a single WHOOP. I think radio chatter would be much cooler than the current (awful) sound effects.

This guy has several hours of audio recordings of radio chatter from Red Flag operations and similar on his YT channel if you just want to put it on in the background.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR2ITHrBub4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y839fHIuz4

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Two things: Anyone have graphical issues with Command Ops 1 where the UI is all cut up and weird? Internet says change the font zoom on Windows 10, but it didn't fix the issue.

2: Steel Division isn't going to be a combat mission killer, but how is it?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Oh poo poo, Baloogan, please put in support for people to put in voice lines and poo poo for scenarios and tutorials, that'd be dope.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Can we change this thread title to CMANO and make a new grog thread?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Chump Farts posted:

2: Steel Division isn't going to be a combat mission killer, but how is it?

It's really good. If you've played any of Eugens previous titles (the Wargames) it's very similar to those but has a much more focused feel with some huge game play improvements. It's not very groggy (for instance penetrating armour just rolls on a crit table to determine what happens). Since they've focused only on Normandy instead of spanning across cold war eras and dozens of countries you choose a single division and create a deck based on the units they had available during the Normandy invasion. The maps are recreated from reconnaissance photos at the time and feel very authentic.

It feels more akin to a 3D Close Combat than Combat Mission.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Is Wars Across the World any good? Flare Path was pretty gung-ho about it, a slimmer and more comprehensible AGEOD sounds really interesting. Also this screenshot

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
whoah that does look cool

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

That looks like militarised Monopoly.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Monopoly Industrial Complex

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Reviews say its garbo

Why cant a good grog game let me build a nation of cavemen and lead them into the 21st century like Magna Mundii

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

RentACop posted:

Is Wars Across the World any good? Flare Path was pretty gung-ho about it, a slimmer and more comprehensible AGEOD sounds really interesting. Also this screenshot

Is this the one with a million DLCs, cuz if so, it apparently sucks rear end

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Is this the one with a million DLCs, cuz if so, it apparently sucks rear end

Yeah if you were to buy all the DLC it would be like $100. For a game that claims to span all of history it sure seems like to be missing a lot.

Apparently it's pretty simplistic too, basically a glorified Risk.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Can we change this thread title to CMANO and make a new grog thread?

Yeah, maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, but, even as someone who plays CMNAO, scrolling through 30 straight posts in the grognard thread at a time is getting a bit, and I mean that "just a bit," annoying.

I think the better solution, and I'm not yet convinced we are necessarily in need of a solution, would seem to be starting a CMNAO thread. There are certainly enough players at this point to support it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe there just aren't enough grog games to support a thread anymore

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I disagree, as much as I like CMANO I don't think there's that much to discuss regularly with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i guess it could be time for a cmano thread