Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep, but it was 7 points per model. If its free, why wouldn't you? Less granular points means weapons need to be balanced better, which I don't depend upon GW doing well.

You get 1/3 the range and the bolters you're comparing them to are rapid fire AP3 weapons. Plus, the warpflamers have that stupid rule where they can give the target FNP if it doesn't kill them. It's definitely not worth 7ppm on a unit that's already expensive and bad in close combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Corrode posted:

He could be a sergeant with a power first (which is what the big hands are in-game). I haven't played in years so idk if sergeants can take 2 fist (which under WYSIWYG is what he has) but I doubt anyone would care if you ran him as a sarge with 1.

Yeah he's got a power fist and a lightning claw, I would have given him a pistol in place of the power fist, but I didn't have one or the proper arm for it. I almost just put a bolter on and would have said it was a bolt pistol, but it didn't sit on the model very well.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Munchables posted:

Yeah he's got a power fist and a lightning claw, I would have given him a pistol in place of the power fist, but I didn't have one or the proper arm for it. I almost just put a bolter on and would have said it was a bolt pistol, but it didn't sit on the model very well.

Unless I'm mistaken both of the arms on that dude are power fists.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Corrode posted:

Unless I'm mistaken both of the arms on that dude are power fists.

Pic's a little blurry but afaik it's a lightning claw, it's listed as one in the booklet the box came with.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Yeah, I think those are the MKIII claws. The MKIV claws are separate claws you glue to the back of the powerfist.

I think Corrode has not seen the new 30k boxsets, or he has not been back long. These look like a call back to the old 25mm based metal lightning claws on the chaos terminators.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah those are new on me. I was expecting one of these:

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Yeah, I think those are the MKIII claws. The MKIV claws are separate claws you glue to the back of the powerfist.

I think Corrode has not seen the new 30k boxsets, or he has not been back long. These look like a call back to the old 25mm based metal lightning claws on the chaos terminators.

Oh, yeah I should have mentioned it's a 30k box. The head and right shoulder however are from AoS.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

SRM posted:

have you tried... gitting gud??

I'm not really into "trying" as a concept.

Part of why I'm so bad at this is obviously that I get ripshit on boxed wine during games, but also because I build my lists off of only painted models, and I paint slow as poo poo, so I'm stuck with the same garbage-dick core units that keep getting creamed game after game. I'll add a couple new units (contemptor and melta command squad this time, a jumppack assault squad a few games back, etc) to augment it, and they just get murdered without doing anything because anything I'm ever excited about is obviously cursed and god is dead.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

ANAmal.net posted:

Part of why I'm so bad at this is obviously that I get ripshit on boxed wine during games, but also because I build my lists off of only painted models, and I paint slow as poo poo, so I'm stuck with the same garbage-dick core units that keep getting creamed game after game. I'll add a couple new units (contemptor and melta command squad this time, a jumppack assault squad a few games back, etc) to augment it, and they just get murdered without doing anything because anything I'm ever excited about is obviously cursed and god is dead.

Have you been reading my diary?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I picked up some Space Wolves with my voucher. I forgot how mediocre some of the bare heads are, but I want to model things fluffy with helmets being a minority.

Does anyone have any reccomendations on any appropriately Nordic looking head swaps?

(Seriously, who the gently caress went "Vikings in space, what they need is the weirdest and dumbest looking hairstyles ever. No beards though. Facial hair is hairesy.")

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

jadebullet posted:

Does anyone have any reccomendations on any appropriately Nordic looking head swaps?

Chaos Marauder heads I think is a good start at least. And Freeguild Empire heads as well.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Munchables posted:

Howdy folks, been workin on my current models, but because my sergeant is in stripping limbo I made this guy, but idk what to do with him. Would he be eligible as a sergeant or would he have to be a terminator or captain or something?

This guy looks like a cyberman straight out of Doctor Who.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

ANAmal.net posted:

I build my lists off of only painted models, and I paint slow as poo poo, so I'm stuck with the same garbage-dick core units that keep getting creamed game after game.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

ANAmal.net posted:

A friend of mine gets his jollies by destroying whatever the rest of us have newly built and lovingly painted up as soon as post-humanly possible when its first game starts. :rip: Mega Dread and Meka Dread.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Artum posted:

It makes sense that you don't see too many of them given the only way to get them is email some russians and pay directly through paypal.
Which I have no problem with. What is he charging?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

A friend of mine gets his jollies by destroying whatever the rest of us have newly built and lovingly painted up as soon as post-humanly possible when its first game starts. :rip: Mega Dread and Meka Dread.

I usually try to kill my opponents favorite model every game- the one they clearly spent the most time and effort on.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

berzerkmonkey posted:

Which I have no problem with. What is he charging?

1680rub per pack of 5 and 400rub standard shipping for 1-2 packs.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Artum posted:

1680rub per pack of 5 and 400rub standard shipping for 1-2 packs.

Thanks. That's not a bad price for what looks like very good quality.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I usually try to kill my opponents favorite model every game- the one they clearly spent the most time and effort on.

Doesn't everybody do this?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Points are up!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/12/new-warhammer-40000-points-power-levels-may12gw-homepage-post-4/

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

quote:

Power Levels are a great way to very quickly get a roughly balanced game organised and started, but they do not account for the various wargear options and upgrades a unit can have. For this level of granularity, you have points. These will be just as detailed as they are now, right down to points for individual weapon upgrades on every squad member. For example, a Tactical Marine Squad of five models is Power Level 5, but in a matched play game, each of those Tactical Marines would cost 13 points each, with upgrades ranging from a grav-pistol for the Sergeant at 7 pts, all the way up to multi-meltas at 27 pts. The full squad totals up at a similar number of points to what it costs today. With faster play times for most games, we’re expecting matched play games of a couple of hours to sit around the 2,000 points mark.

The points for units don’t appear on the datasheet but will be elsewhere in the same book. This is because you don’t need them to play if you don’t want, which frees up room to include more rules for weapons on the datasheet. It also means that, in the future, points for units could change without invalidating existing books – so if one unit or weapon starts to dominate tournaments, or certain units don’t seem to be carrying their weight in competitive games, we can address the balance.

As expected, points for wargear aren't going away. They're just moved to another part of the book

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

tallkidwithglasses posted:

The only real fun I had playing Apocalypse was when one guy had been talking up his Stompa and how much of our stuff it was going to kill for days in advance. Come turn one, one of the other players drop podded in a single sternguard squad who managed to off it in a single volley of combimelta fire. He got a lot quieter after that.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Nice.

- Points are back (obviously)

- Summoned units cost points, but you don't have to specify which units--your summoned units just eat from the pool of points you set aside

- Summoning is apparently different from deep striking or outflanking (cool)

- Points aren't on datasheets but show up elsewhere in the same book

- Points can/will change to balance the game

- Marines are 13 points, grav-pistols are 7, multi-meltas are 27

- 2k point games expected to take 2 hours (I will believe this when I see it)

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 12, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
To be fair they said 2000 pts will take "A couple of hours" which could mean 2 in a literal sense but I rarely hear anyone mean it that way

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Interesting, points look to be more granular, 7 and 27 means not everything is in 5 point increments like you commonly see now.

And yes I know some armies have that now but for the imperium it's mostly 5 point steps.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

As expected, points for wargear aren't going away. They're just moved to another part of the book

Hopefully it will all be on one easy to reference sheet, otherwise it's going to add to the pile of paperwork you'll need to carry to a game. AoS (so far) has points for a unit, whether it has x or y, so you don't have to worry about anything outside of the warscroll.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

RagnarokAngel posted:

To be fair they said 2000 pts will take "A couple of hours" which could mean 2 in a literal sense but I rarely hear anyone mean it that way

Earlier they said a 1500 pts game would take about an hour and a half though so 2000 taking 2 hours would check out. I hope it is like this, if the game played that fast it might fill a niche in my game collection again other than "it's the only thing I can get someone to play with me".

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

berzerkmonkey posted:

Hopefully it will all be on one easy to reference sheet, otherwise it's going to add to the pile of paperwork you'll need to carry to a game. AoS (so far) has points for a unit, whether it has x or y, so you don't have to worry about anything outside of the warscroll.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems like where they are in the book doesn't change the size of the pile of paperwork?

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I like this and I like 8th edition

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I mean, 7th already has points in multiple places, with some costs being on the datasheet and some being in the armory.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

Unless I'm missing something, it seems like where they are in the book doesn't change the size of the pile of paperwork?

If you're just printing them out and not buying the initial books (of you've got ebook versions.)

My concern has less to do with paper, and more to do with "that guy" who shows up with the datasheet but not the weapons points sheet, and you have to take him at his word that he really has 2000 points.

chutche2 posted:

I mean, 7th already has points in multiple places, with some costs being on the datasheet and some being in the armory.
Agreed, and I was hoping this would change in 8th - I'd like for everything to be in one place for a change.

It's a minor quibble though.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

RagnarokAngel posted:

IIRC they said early on in previews they wanted the average game to be done in two hours.

Also grats on gear upgrade cost and ala carte model buy still being in game. 😃

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

berzerkmonkey posted:

If you're just printing them out and not buying the initial books (of you've got ebook versions.)

My concern has less to do with paper, and more to do with "that guy" who shows up with the datasheet but not the weapons points sheet, and you have to take him at his word that he really has 2000 points.

Ah, fair.

I mean I don't see how that's much different from just using a Battlescribe list as your rules, but fair.

Geoff Zahn posted:

I like this and I like 8th edition

Same. I remain skeptical of the 2k points/2 hours thing, but I really *want* it to be true

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

Ah, fair.

I mean I don't see how that's much different from just using a Battlescribe list as your rules, but fair.
You're right - like I said, it's a minor quibble.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I wonder if Tervigon spawning will count as summoning and require points to be set aside like this.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Man, I am loving the new art in these.

That being said, what the gently caress is up with the Ogryn in the Tau assault picture. He is loving gigantic. Like, 20ft gigantic. I know the marine is squatting, but he is in the foreground and the Ogryn's head is as big as the Marines torso.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

DO IT TO IT posted:

I wonder if Tervigon spawning will count as summoning and require points to be set aside like this.

I could see units like the Tervigon having a special rule that gets them around the summoning restrictions

Or they could totally change its functionality

Or it will be useless

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

jadebullet posted:

Man, I am loving the new art in these.

That being said, what the gently caress is up with the Ogryn in the Tau assault picture. He is loving gigantic. Like, 20ft gigantic. I know the marine is squatting, but he is in the foreground and the Ogryn's head is as big as the Marines torso.

That's a bit poo poo, but I love the battlesuit stomping the space marine biker into the dirt.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I don't like uniform weapon pricing. A heavy weapon on a BS4 platform is worth more than it is on a BS3 platform.

This is even more important on melee weapons where you also have different strength and number of attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Master Twig posted:

I don't like uniform weapon pricing. A heavy weapon on a BS4 platform is worth more than it is on a BS3 platform.

This is even more important on melee weapons where you also have different strength and number of attacks.

Ok, sure.

...why do you think we're going to have uniform weapon pricing?

• Locked thread