Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Eifert Posting posted:

The Bengals are an indecipherable 80s Soviet short where a cartoon tiger is subjected to meaningless, melodramatic tragedy.

Does that mean the Browns are Come and See?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Holy loving poo poo :stonk:

And to borrow from elsewhere, people are wondering why Dale Jr. is retiring from racing after missing a significant part of last season with a concussion.

THERE YOU loving GO.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8K8uskz6DY

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

bitch you held out your rookie year

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

This sport is so loving dumb and Roger is a piece of loving poo poo

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
There's another dude who lurks tff who knew his family too so I'm cautious about saying much but my "uncle"/godfather was a dolphins linebacker and I've seen firsthand what they do to you. He was the very first CTE study.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Are... Are we the bad guys?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

AggressivelyStupid posted:

This sport is so loving dumb and Roger is a piece of loving poo poo

Dont' know what Roger has to do with this

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Honestly, and I'm talking in general here with all the poo poo that's been unearthed lately, I wonder how much of it comes to Goddell sweeping poo poo under the rug to look good for his bosses (the owners), or the owners telling him to sweep it under the rug to look good for the public.

It feels like the facade fell off the NFL though. Whether it's good or bad remains to be seen.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
This poo poo's been swept under the rug since Rozelle. It's not Goodell, it's the owners

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Rozelle is good because during his tenure only five people would have cared even if everything were brought into the light, and plus there's some plausible deniability that we just didn't know enough. Those guys from as late as the 50s being all messed up could have been the bad equipment so no one has to do anything. i repeat, Pete. Repeat. Pete. who was left on the boat and/or log. what am i talking about again

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Guys.

The Chargers signed their first round pick.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Kalli posted:

To an extent, yeah.

Weren't there some MMA weidoes going around in Seattle for a few years doing just that? Phoenix Jones and his friends would dress up like batman and challenge roudy drunk assholes to fights if they were bothering people.

Yeah, Washington has a 'Mutual Combat' thing (or it did, I don't know if it still does), defined as 'A fight into which both parties enter willingly, or in which two persons, upon a sudden quarrel, and in hot blood, mutually fight upon equal terms.' Like Bad Moon said, as long as they remove their shoes, stop when one of them goes limp, and don't use weapons (or it stops being 1 v 1), it's legal.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Blitz7x posted:

Yeah, but it wouldn't really matter if we stopped watching, since for every person who feels questionable about how football players destroy each other, there are 20 or 30 people who just want to see the big hitz.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Cavauro posted:

Rozelle is good because during his tenure only five people would have cared even if everything were brought into the light, and plus there's some plausible deniability that we just didn't know enough. Those guys from as late as the 50s being all messed up could have been the bad equipment so no one has to do anything. i repeat, Pete. Repeat. Pete. who was left on the boat and/or log. what am i talking about again

Repeat

Football is good. Concussions are bad but football is good. For context when everybody was freaking out about the bengals losing, etc. i just decided to start watching fights. Much more honest way of living

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Jesus that last excerpt you pulled

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Yah that's so sad, Jesus

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Blitz7x posted:

Not the only bad guys at least:

quote:

After retirement in 1976 Buoniconti went on to hit a pinnacle in three more careers: attorney and agent for 30 pro athletes; millionaire president of U.S. Tobacco; co-host for 23 years on HBO’s Inside the NFL.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
In another 20 years the next sports health crisis will be everyone getting cancer from Field Turf.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Talk about your self-fulfilling prophecies.

Nov 6, 2002

Good thing the fan didn't tell him he was going to gently caress his own mother.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Brady just got Madden Cursed

Nov 6, 2002

Now I know why Bill kept Jimmy.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I thought this was going to be about Jim Kiick, who also just had a (much shorter) story come out about how hosed he is now:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article149685489.html

quote:

“He just acts like a kid, in every way now — not taking care of himself,” Allie Kiick told SI. “We tell him what to do and he listens, but he was pooping his pants, all that stuff. So I — literally — mean that he had turned into a kid.”

Kiick began experiencing CTE symptoms earlier this decade. An MRI revealed significant brain trauma. Unlike most players with microscopic brain damage, Kiick has huge bruises.
“He has holes in his brain,” said Dr. David B. Ross, medical director of the Comprehensive Neurobehavioral Institute in Plantation. “Earlier in his career he had enough impact that he had bruises on his brain that left scars and holes. So there’s no question that he suffered significant brain trauma. This is more than Alzheimer’s. This is more than frontal-lobe dementia, Parkinson’s dementia. This is more than infection. He had brain trauma, and that’s unequivocal.”

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

.... on the other hand, Madden cover!

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Madden curse, all of your training has led up to this moment.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

RIP you'll be missed Brady, lol.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Bernard Pollard knows what he needs to do.

Nov 6, 2002

When did "goat" change in the sports zeitgeist from person who hosed up to greatest of all time? This annoys me! :mad:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Brady versus Madden Curse will make for a good season.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

korrandark posted:

ISIS knows what they need to do.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

When did "goat" change in the sports zeitgeist from person who hosed up to greatest of all time? This annoys me! :mad:

Between SB 49 and SB51.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

.... on the other hand, Madden cover!

Boo this man.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The earliest entry for goat as "greatest of all time" in the urbandictionary is 2002, and another one is "go away troll" which i believe is the real deal

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
This should be the Madden cover:

https://twitter.com/bparsons22/status/863016714795200512

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Imagine if Tom Brady has another MVP-caliber season and maybe wins the Super Bowl and Patriots fans could add “Tawm beat the Madden Curse!” to their repertoire.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one annoyed by this.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
RIP Tom. Or don't you arrogant mother fucker!

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/863035998313345024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
See? He does this

He's honestly awesome. I hate it

• Locked thread