Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I'm just saying the references seem as out of place as if they were in a Dark Souls game. And no, things obviously based off Berserk don't count.

Are you trying to say that Dark Souls doesn't have random pop culture references?

I mean, I guess it isn't super obvious pop culture but it does reference a bunch of anime stuff. Generally quite blatantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Lurdiak posted:

I'm just saying the references seem as out of place as if they were in a Dark Souls game. And no, things obviously based off Berserk don't count.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Oh man, I'm somehow more excited by the new Euro Truck DLC than I am by anything else releasing this month? What's happened to me? What kind of a gamer am I?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The pop culture stuff in Witcher 3 is fine.

"Durden the Tailor" being the Novigrad fight club champion is a really good example of how well they handle them. They didn't model the NPC to look exactly like Brad Pitt down to wearing his jacket, they didn't have him rattle off fifty Fight Club lines, and he didn't pop up in a dozen quests to go "hey guys do you get the joke yet?"

People who read or saw Fight Club get it and maybe chuckle and move on, people who didn't are none the wiser and don't suffer anything for it. They had to name the guy something; would it have really made the game substantively better for him to have a made-up fantasy name like Gyrgynthorpe or a generic name carefully chosen not to be a reference to any existing media property living or dead?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh man, I'm somehow more excited by the new Euro Truck DLC than I am by anything else releasing this month? What's happened to me? What kind of a gamer am I?

An ascended one

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

This is me.

Apart from Bioshock Infinite.

y-yeah bioshock am I right

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

DLC Inc posted:

I suppose Prey semi-counts as a new Metroid

Ehhhh kind of stretching it. It still really feels more like a System Shock game done with a very neat style.

If you are really hard up for some metriod AM2R is really good along with some middling to really fun SNES Super Metriod rom hacks floating around.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I didn't realise you were supposed to climb the fences in the tutorial of Hitman. Based on what I'd been doing on the boat I hid behind a crate and threw something that made a dude come away from his post and look at the back of the car. Then I just stole his uniform and wandered right in like I'd always been an employee! :D

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Speaking of mid-00s TV gaming cruft, remember how MTV had a show that was basically just machinima music videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YFoUlyHOs4

FirstAidKite posted:

Are you trying to say that Dark Souls doesn't have random pop culture references?

I mean, I guess it isn't super obvious pop culture but it does reference a bunch of anime stuff. Generally quite blatantly.

King's Field had an NPC dressed like Eric Cartman from South Park.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Samuringa posted:

Wait, rewind just a bit to the Hitman chat - If SE is officially killing it, is there a chance it could be rendered unplayable due to the Always Online? People say that it kicks you off stages sometimes if there's a connection failure or that even if there is a way to play it offline it doesn't keep track of stuff so I was wondering.

I don't actually have the game but I was hoping to buy it one day...

Late last year they patched in a more robust offline mode so that is probably the fall back.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

This is probably exciting for rhythm game fans, maybe?

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/05/12/gitaroo-man-parappa-rapper-developers-team-announce-project-rap-rabbit/

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
When are we getting Oddworld Abe's Exodus?

Feel like that that has been teased for a while now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

God yes

Even if it turns out to be a mobile game.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh gently caress yes just got an email for the Quake Champions closed beta. Anyone else playing this yet?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Walrus posted:

oh gently caress yes just got an email for the Quake Champions closed beta. Anyone else playing this yet?

It's not closed anymore, they're calling this a Stress Test but afaik this is basically a soft release

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh baby!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Other neat thing that I saw this morning, a Furi physical edition.

And a not so neat thing in that Alan Wake is being delisted on the 15th due to expiring music licenses.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Samuringa posted:

The only Wild Arms I played was 5 and I remember hating every single bit of it even though I was big into anime and jrpgs at the time.

That's a bad example of the series cause it's dogshit

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Walrus posted:

It's quake 3 but with bad microtransaction and grind

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

you could add a lot of negatives after that and I'd still play it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How about Quake 3 with pointless unbalanced character variance

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

by the way ffx2hd has a roguelike in it

Anyone remember the weird pseudo-roguelike mode in Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring? I bought that game because it was a fighting game with FF characters but played the hell out of the weird tower dungeon crawl mode that I didn't expect to be there.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I'm sure we can all agree that it'll be a tragedy if Rap Rabbit doesn't appear in Playstation All Stars Battle Royale 2.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Walrus posted:

you could add a lot of negatives after that and I'd still play it.

But quake 3 already exists

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

Anyone remember the weird pseudo-roguelike mode in Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring? I bought that game because it was a fighting game with FF characters but played the hell out of the weird tower dungeon crawl mode that I didn't expect to be there.

hell yeah

Serf
May 5, 2011

Harrow posted:

That game ruled.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Harrow posted:

:hellyeah:

Anyone play the precursor​ to that mode in the Tobal series? I feel like I'm the only one who knows those games​ existed.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tobal was the game I got for free with my expensive FFVII demo.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Wamdoodle posted:

:hellyeah:

Anyone play the precursor​ to that mode in the Tobal series? I feel like I'm the only one who knows those games​ existed.

Tobal 2's RPG mode was fantastic. Shame that it never came out in the US, though both of them were a great time.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Now I'm just thinking about all the weird old PS1 games I had that no one talks about anymore. Stuff like Tomba, Blasto, Jersey Devil, Azure Dreams, Brave Fencer Musashi and Monster Rancher.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

No One Can Stop Mr. Domino

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's criminal nobody has done a monster rancher style game with Spotify support.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Guy Mann posted:

Speaking of mid-00s TV gaming cruft, remember how MTV had a show that was basically just machinima music videos.

I remember Cinematech, which was on G4 (I think?) and was just a bunch of random clips of weird poo poo from Japanese games. I liked that one.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Tomba is legitimately amazing.

I need another game like that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

FauxLeather posted:

I'm sure we can all agree that it'll be a tragedy if Rap Rabbit doesn't appear in Playstation All Stars Battle Royale 2.

It'd be a tragedy if Playstation All Stars Battle Royale 2 became a thing

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
Tobal No. 1 was a good rear end fighting game with a cool quest mode thrown in there. I think my brother and I put more time in to Tobal because after ffvii came out and we beat it like a year later we still played Tobal until the first Guilty Gear came out.

I mained the old guy who was not Master Roshi

I was also bummed Tobal 2 never came to US.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I still think it's hilarious that Cloud is in Smash Brothers but not in Playstation All Stars.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Harrow posted:

It taught me the concept of "buy low, sell high"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The best thing about that roguelike mode was the hilarious-rear end ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

corn in the bible posted:

by the way ffx2hd has a roguelike in it

It also had a spreadsheet game where you managed a Blitzball team and all of the actual games were just simulated.

• Locked thread