Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

So I have been told. I can never hit anything though so who knows, half the time I cant even carry big stuff anywhere because it gets stuck on passing geometry

I maxed out leverage after reading comments ITC and half the time I had poo poo get stuck on the geometry or died in the time it took to pick it up or injured myself picking it up as it flew off into space randomly. It pairs well with the gloo gun for taking out single phantoms early on but I got sick of how awkward it was vs multiple enemies or in tight spaces and I maxed out shotguns/bullet time/security upgrades instead. I never tried leverage with bullet time though so that might be good? I found a object pick up speed chipset really late in the game but never really tried it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Pyrokinesis is so loving good. It seems to do great damage to everything, it's been my go-to fuckoff ability for when something really powerful like a Telepath or annoying Phantom gets too annoying.

alphabettitouretti posted:

Does upgraded Leverage allow you to cause massive damage with thrown objects? Because it's worthless for removing barriers when recycler grenades exist.

I've killed Phantoms with one Level 3 heavy object throw when they were at like, 70 to 80% health. It's tricky but when you get that throw in on them it will do tremendous damage and possibly splat them in a single hit. Leverage 3 also is useful for forcing open doors you'd otherwise need to do a lot of other poo poo to power up or sneak into.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It would also help if you could actually aim the big stuff. Come on Prey, semi-transparent meshes, I know you are going for realism but man.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Man I'm running out of Human skills to upgrade. I have everything important now I'm dabbling into the stealth skills which seemed useless during my initial playthrough

I was really underpowered my first playthrough because I mostly followed the storyline. But just exploring the station at your leisure makes you grossly overpowered and showers you in neuromods and upgrade kits

Also the crew registry and find all crew achievement is ingenious for a quest/content finder

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 12, 2017

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Stealth is awesome but broken. I've been able to sprint up to a multitude of phantoms while they look at me and get sneak attack damage. Unaware that I was jamming the shotgun up their nose.

Another example: I found a stray medkit laying around while I was walking around and tried to pick it up 5 times only to have it "jump". Finally wised up and shot it revealing a mimic whom had no idea it was trying to get picked up.

And question: There's a log where a guy mentions he wants to submit something "anonymously" and asks another guy (whom is obsessed with his rear end?) tells him to hack the sign outside. Is that the guy that's tangled outside on the sign? Or is there a message there I didn't see?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Weird I had sneak 1 and 2 and maxed out sneak attack damage but I could never get the sneak attack proc :shrug:

Goodfeila
Apr 25, 2010

Malek posted:

And question: There's a log where a guy mentions he wants to submit something "anonymously" and asks another guy (whom is obsessed with his rear end?) tells him to hack the sign outside. Is that the guy that's tangled outside on the sign? Or is there a message there I didn't see?

I believe it is the guy. There is a computer right by him on the sign that you can interact with to be able to see what he wanted to tell everyone.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I GLOO gun'd my way up to Alex's office before the story leads you there: even young Morgan was a jerk because he deleted Alex's Space Conquistadors save file when they were kids

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lakbay posted:

Weird I had sneak 1 and 2 and maxed out sneak attack damage but I could never get the sneak attack proc :shrug:

Sneak attack would be broken if we had the proper high damage/low ammo single-shot weapons to capitalize on them. Right now you can spec heavily into sneak damage...or you can just shoot the guy twice.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The most frustrating aspect of this game is the frequent dying. Bioshock had these respawn points called Vita-Chambers that somewhat took the edge off the frequent dying, but Prey has no equivalent. Instead you regenerate up to 20 hitpoints. This is still low enough for too many enemies to one-shot you. It's a very infuriating. Bioshock and SS2 primed me to expect healing to be a minor concern in this game, when in fact you absolutely have to use healing items as efficiently as you possibly can. Prey compensates for the lack of ammo and healing items by the stealth option. Sadly, Arkane did not put the same level of care into the stealth aspect of the game as we see in Deus Ex, Dishonored, or Thief. There will still be points where you have low ammo, low health, and you CAN'T sneak past your enemies.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Prey compensates by having a really simple quick save/quick load system, which I heavily abuse because if I didn't the combat and platform would descend from "slightly frustrating sometimes" to "absolute garbage gently caress this poo poo"

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Sneak attack would be broken if we had the proper high damage/low ammo single-shot weapons to capitalize on them. Right now you can spec heavily into sneak damage...or you can just shoot the guy twice.

Stealth let's you get close enough to attack twice with the shotgun or wrench without being under enemy fire. Sneak attack is just a nice opening bonus. But it IS nice.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kurzon posted:

The most frustrating aspect of this game is the frequent dying. Bioshock had these respawn points called Vita-Chambers that somewhat took the edge off the frequent dying,

If by took the edge off you mean "made it impossible to lose", sure

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
For the combat being sucky for some people (I don't particularly like it either) there is some fourth wall breaking: Elazar comments how all the weapons on the station suck rear end because they're civilian grade "popguns" she says

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Prey compensates by having a really simple quick save/quick load system, which I heavily abuse because if I didn't the combat and platform would descend from "slightly frustrating sometimes" to "absolute garbage gently caress this poo poo"

Stealth let's you get close enough to attack twice with the shotgun or wrench without being under enemy fire. Sneak attack is just a nice opening bonus. But it IS nice.

True, but the parts that would really make a difference, ie the fights with bigger monsters, don't benefit from it really. Especially the ones like the Electric Phantom thing, which will kill you if you get that close.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Kurzon posted:

The most frustrating aspect of this game is the frequent dying. Bioshock had these respawn points called Vita-Chambers that somewhat took the edge off the frequent dying, but Prey has no equivalent. Instead you regenerate up to 20 hitpoints. This is still low enough for too many enemies to one-shot you. It's a very infuriating. Bioshock and SS2 primed me to expect healing to be a minor concern in this game, when in fact you absolutely have to use healing items as efficiently as you possibly can. Prey compensates for the lack of ammo and healing items by the stealth option. Sadly, Arkane did not put the same level of care into the stealth aspect of the game as we see in Deus Ex, Dishonored, or Thief. There will still be points where you have low ammo, low health, and you CAN'T sneak past your enemies.

You can pump as many medkits into your system as you have organic material.

Or you can, you know, fight smarter and not take as much damage. :gitgud:

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

DreamShipWrecked posted:

True, but the parts that would really make a difference, ie the fights with bigger monsters, don't benefit from it really. Especially the ones like the Electric Phantom thing, which will kill you if you get that close.

I have maxed stealth and shotgun damage and this isn't remotely the case. I get behind them and my first shot takes off more than half their health and sends them sprawling to the floor where they can't do anything while I shoot them a couple more times. It feels incredibly powerful, not sure why people are having problems.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
For a game whose gameplay systems and level design so beautifully combine into a holistic simulation, the lack of an internal death management system does stick out a bit. (As do instant health items and the pointless hacking mini game)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

combat can get tough and I've been slaughtered quite a few times by 1 or 2 hits, but I've accepted that I'm not Corvo Attano so I rely mainly on gloo > shotgun to alien face, followed by psychic attack. There are a lot of enemies like Telepath who will gently caress you up and you can't fight head-on, you need to battle them in larger areas with hiding spots and take potshots at them. Leverage 3 and Machine Mind help out for throwing big-damage poo poo at enemies or controlling corrupt bots to shoot poo poo for you, too.

It's definitely a weak point of the game due to certain encounters being very tough but you have a big vocabulary of ways to deal with things, moreso than their teleport/mindblast tricks.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You should start with a psychic attack first since that reduces their defenses to everything else (at least that's what the loading screens and help menus say)

If you're not doing Typhon only the most optimal thing to do combat wise is to always max out the shotgun's damage potential first

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Combat in this game could be described as "bad, until you get psychoshock." Once you do, every single typhon in the game can be trivialized by sprinting directly at them, psychoshocking them before their awareness bar fills up completely, and blasting them to death with a shotgun. With movement speed maxed out they generally won't be able to defend themselves against it at all. If it's a technopath, maybe toss an EMP out first to disable whatever turrets it's controlling.

I'm kind of fine with the weapons being limited, since one of the best parts about Dead Space was that most of your guns were engineering tools that were being used as guns out of necessity. The different types of grenades in Prey have the same feel, even if I never managed to get any use out of the typhon lures. Talos-1 is a research station and it would be kind of weird if there were gatling guns and rocket launchers lying around.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I do agree that Psychoshock is a bit overturned, I'm okay with it being powerful but it is far more efficient than any other power to the point where things like kinetic blast are just a waste of psi. They could use a big boost to their cost, or a decrease in effect time.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I've been doing my first run on normal and at this point enemies are entirely nonissues. I haven't gone below 200 health in aaaaages.

This is, in large part, due to the fact that I got the neuromod upgrade that buffs your weapon damage to 150% and upgraded my shotgun's damage to max, so it does a solid 98 damage per hit and for twice that all the time.

I think I maaaaaaaaaaaaybe needed a full clip to kill the nightmare, everything else just melts at close range. And if I'm ever in any real stress, that's what psychoshock and mindwave are for.

Might do an all human run next, since I don't actually get a ton of use out of the typhon mods. Most of them are decent, and mindwave is a lifesaver in the Crew Quarters, but an upgraded stun gun does pretty good as well once you bump the range and charge speed up.

Probably won't do a typhon only run just because the movement and jump buffs are so ridiculously good.

e: :lol: the toilet seat in morgan's apartment is up if you're dudeMorgan and down if you're femMorgan.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 12, 2017

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

There are a lot of enemies like Telepath who will gently caress you up and you can't fight head-on, you need to battle them in larger areas with hiding spots and take potshots at them.

Telepaths will gently caress you up until you completely trivialize them by psychoshocking or nullwaveing them. Ideally mindjack their slaves before engaging.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

The Iron Rose posted:

Probably won't do a typhon only run just because the movement and jump buffs are so ridiculously good.

I gave up on my Typhon only run not because of that but because I absolutely cannot work with the default inventory size

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Rinkles posted:

For a game whose gameplay systems and level design so beautifully combine into a holistic simulation, the lack of an internal death management system does stick out a bit. (As do instant health items and the pointless hacking mini game)
If my health regenerated to 40 or even just 30 I'd be happy. As it is, the game is very unforgiving to those who don't know the mechanics inside-and-out. I expect my second playthrough to be better.

Also, without spoiling anything, the epilogue is absolute rear end.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

The Iron Rose posted:

A typhon only run doesn't sound like much fun since you give up all your important utility mods. No movement speed/jump upgrades, no inventory space upgrades, no necrosis or recycling yield, no hacking/leverage/repair. You have to use psi abilities for everything, but even the mod to raise your max psi amount is a human ability.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

A typhon only run doesn't sound like much fun since you give up all your important utility mods. No movement speed/jump upgrades, no inventory space upgrades, no necrosis or recycling yield, no hacking/leverage/repair. You have to use psi abilities for everything, but even the mod to raise your max psi amount is a human ability.

Even the most powerful psi ability in the game is a human ability. Combat Focus is nuts.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

It's amazing how little love the stun gun gets. A fully upgraded stun gun to me is a way better crowd control tool than the Gloo gun. It's also an anti-mechanized weapon that effectively does massive amounts of damage to technopaths. About the only enemy that gives me any serious trouble is a weaver and the Q-beam and combat focus make short work of them.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
So you can craft neuromods...

Once I learned I could craft neuromods like any other item I started obsessively scrapping everything in sight to make more neuromods. Arkane foresaw this behavior and the option to craft neuromods is locked after you make a certain amount, thus forcing you to actually enjoy the game. To disable the lock you have to hack a high-level security door to get to the master control. If you ask me, this should have been a scripted event. As it is, you can re-unlock the neuromod crafting almost immediately if you maxed out your Hack skill early.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Man, the attention to detail in this game gets ridiculous sometimes. If you start the game as male Morgan, the toilet seat in your apartment is up. If you're female Morgan, it's down. It amazes me that someone even thought of such a small thing like that.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Kurzon posted:

Once I learned I could craft neuromods like any other item I started obsessively scrapping everything in sight to make more neuromods. Arkane foresaw this behavior and the option to craft neuromods is locked after you make a certain amount, thus forcing you to actually enjoy the game. To disable the lock you have to hack a high-level security door to get to the master control. If you ask me, this should have been a scripted event. As it is, you can re-unlock the neuromod crafting almost immediately if you maxed out your Hack skill early.

You don't have to hack anything. There's another way in.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Kurzon posted:

if you grab the plan early enough you can use the nearby computer to cancel the drm encoding on it entirely in the first place so i don't think that your suggested fix is one they would've cared about

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Kraftwerk posted:

It's amazing how little love the stun gun gets. A fully upgraded stun gun to me is a way better crowd control tool than the Gloo gun. It's also an anti-mechanized weapon that effectively does massive amounts of damage to technopaths. About the only enemy that gives me any serious trouble is a weaver and the Q-beam and combat focus make short work of them.

I stumbled on the stun gun the first time I encountered a Technopath after a few failed attempts and the research results telling me they are vulnerable to it. I just alternated between zapping it, whacking it with the wrench, until it was dead. :stonk:

Then I eventually maxed it, and the only threats to me now are things that are immune to stun gun. :v:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Kurzon posted:

There's 3~5 other ways in without needing to hack anything and there's a body in the area with the keycard if you don't have any infiltration skills

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 12, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bioshock's combat and encounter design was poo poo, hth

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
While the enemies are good in terms of mechanics they suck in terms of look. They're all just masses of black fuzzy stuff. Laziest character design ever.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I think the mimic animations are pretty rad but that's it

I like how they skitter like spiders or try to look human

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Kurzon posted:

While the enemies are good in terms of mechanics they suck in terms of look. They're all just masses of black fuzzy stuff. Laziest character design ever.

That's hardly fair. Technopaths are masses of black fuzzy stuff with some slabs of metal thrown in.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Also I was euphoric to learn that Cystoids chase around Huntress darts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Goodfeila posted:

I believe it is the guy. There is a computer right by him on the sign that you can interact with to be able to see what he wanted to tell everyone.

I missed it, what did it say? (Spoiler tags of course please)