Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Carcer posted:

COTT questions:

1) Can I turn rats stealing my stuff off somehow?

2) If/when I get tired of the crazy infernal mobs, how do I turn them off and can I do so without breaking a save?

No you can't. Stop being a coward and take it like a man :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
You can disable or lower the spawn rate if they bother you a lot. Animalium doesn't have a config setting to disable just the stealing, though. Just keep in mind they can only steal the item you're holding. Making a point to keep an empty slot on your hotbar turns them into a complete nonthreat.

I don't know if you can remove Infernal Mobs outright without breaking a save, but the mod has config settings for all the individual monster modifiers as well as straight disabling individual monsters. Going into the config and turning all the monster mods off would only take a minute or two and should pretty effectively neuter the mod.

Also, rats that steal an item won't despawn. Getting your item back is usually just a matter of persistence.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 11, 2017

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Toadsmash posted:

You can disable or lower the spawn rate if they bother you a lot. Animalium doesn't have a config setting to disable just the stealing, though. Just keep in mind they can only steal the item you're holding. Making a point to keep an empty slot on your hotbar turns them into a complete nonthreat.

I don't know if you can remove Infernal Mobs outright without breaking a save, but the mod has config settings for all the individual monster modifiers as well as straight disabling individual monsters. Going into the config and turning all the monster mods off would only take a minute or two and should pretty effectively neuter the mod.

Also, rats that steal an item won't despawn. Getting your item back is usually just a matter of persistence.

Yeah it's funny if you look at your minimap Animalium mobs move really fast and in a modpack designed to have all the mobs come after you the little dot running away from you as fast as it can is usually the bugger that has your item.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Toadsmash posted:

I just straight deleted the Infernal Mobs .jar file from my mods folder and it seemed to work :shrug:

My game still boots fine and I can get into my save and I haven't seen seen any more idiotic 1200 HP regenerating thorns withering poison bears

Rutibex posted:

No you can't. Stop being a coward and take it like a man :colbert:

I can't take it

I just can't take how lovely your posts are

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Infernal Mobs doesn't add items or blocks to the game so it's fine to remove. It can't break your game. Worst case scenario is that you miss out on the extra loot that the mobs drop, which might potentially include things you can't get anywhere else, but I don't know if that's true in COTT.

Personally I'd change the health scaling to 1 instead of 1.5 and see if that fixed the crazy health values. I'd also tweak some of the other settings so that the infernal mobs aren't so goddamn annoying to deal with.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I found one of those white stone forts next to a mountain, so I dug my base into the mountain and built a reinforced stone tunnel to the (sealed) white stone fort. Its currently a blood moon and there's lot of scary sounding noises going on outside while I try and work my way through the starter quests.

This is my 4th world, the first couple I was getting to grips with the basic controls and the 3rd was a gently caress up because I spawned in the tundra and was spawn camped by selkies with bows.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

How do I get the rf tools autocrafter to make salt and then put the empty buckets into the output but keep the pot? Is that even possible?

Edit: I'll just have it output both of them and route the pot back in through some conduits... Waste of space but Idk how else to do it.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 12, 2017

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

What causes that darkness debuff in COTT that seems to refresh indefinitely on a 4 second timer and follows you across half the world?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Toadsmash posted:

What causes that darkness debuff in COTT that seems to refresh indefinitely on a 4 second timer and follows you across half the world?

I saved and relogged to remove that.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

We ended up skipping out on a questing pack, and decided to go for just the direwolf pack and threw it up on a server for more people. Maybe in the future when more stuff pops up, or if things move to 1.11/1.12.

Anyways, I've never used BigReactors or Extreme Reactors before and I've set up a small 3x3 one with one control rod cooled by graphite. How would I go about automating control to save fuel? A bit of googling suggests either RedNet, but no MFR in 1.10, or OpenComputers programs... Which none of them really seem to list what components I actually need for the computer. Anyone have like, a simple computer setup for this I guess?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

poo poo I just made like 20 million rf of capacitors plus the internal storage of around 10 mil and I just turned it on for a minute to charge them, then leave it off. Honestly everything is running off water wheels for me right now, only using the reactor when I need a huge burst of energy

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I gave up on the cott pack.

Came back to base to find a bunch of mobs inside my house, even though nothing was broken. creepers took out all my storage and items, and after that is just just not fun.

Oh i also died to magic, that blew a hole 9 blocks deep to hit me..

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I used the (I think) FTButil to claim the area around my base. Monsters can still dig and burn stuff down but explosions don't break anything.

I feel that my progress is really slow and erratic. I've set up a smeltery, tooled up to being able t to dig diamond tier ores but I'm having an incredibly tough time securing a small patch of ground outside my front door so I'm not constantly getting hit by bullshit through walls and set up babbys first farm so I don't starve constantly.

I haven't even looked at machinery or automating things yet.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Tyty posted:

We ended up skipping out on a questing pack, and decided to go for just the direwolf pack and threw it up on a server for more people. Maybe in the future when more stuff pops up, or if things move to 1.11/1.12.

Anyways, I've never used BigReactors or Extreme Reactors before and I've set up a small 3x3 one with one control rod cooled by graphite. How would I go about automating control to save fuel? A bit of googling suggests either RedNet, but no MFR in 1.10, or OpenComputers programs... Which none of them really seem to list what components I actually need for the computer. Anyone have like, a simple computer setup for this I guess?

Add three red stone control ports.

one set to "on/off on signal"
one set to "emit if storage above 80%"
one set to "emit if storage below 30%"

Then you need a redstone comparator.

the 30% port routes into the primary input
the 80% port routes into the secondarily input
the output goes to the on/off port
the output loops back to the primary input through a repeater.

Click the comparator so that the redstone light at its output is on.

*edit: oh make sure the repeater is not with in one block of the comparator including diagonally.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 12, 2017

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

CoTT trivialised itself for me. One of the first loot bags I opened had a instant resource free tele wand. So the only entrance into my base is diagonal 1 block high tunnel that I use to teleport into and another one to teleport out from. (both made with reinforced stone). I think I'm deep enough into the mountain too that the mobs don't seem to dig or explode themselves to get to me.

Its real strange. Also the nether is a piece of poo poo with Ad infernium or whatever because mobs there just naseua you on sight which fucks me up too much to want to go back. I should figure out if I can disable that.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
I gave up on my remote island world for lack of clay, and in my new one I built some platforms 80-90ish blocks above ground, and that seems far enough away to prevent stuff on the ground from aggroing and trying to climb up during blood moons. The slow climb up is kind of a pain, but it's been pretty safe so far, especially with lower-half slabs for most of the floor.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Which mod in CotT is letting mobs attack through walls? A creeper that can not see me and has never seen me should not blow up and a zombie should not be able to hit me from behind a wall.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Hagop posted:

*edit: oh make sure the repeater is not with in one block of the comparator including diagonally.

The simpler one with Rednet, if you're using the one that has Rednet Ports as part of the Reactor mod, you can put two ports next to each other, and hook them up to each other with Rednet Cable.

One port Outputs the Energy Storage %, and the other port treats as Input the Control Rod Insertion

So as your reactor's energy buffer fills up, it automatically increases the control rod insertion to slow down the reaction, until it's full and stops completely.

It's not as efficient as other methods, but it's dead simple.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

The Ender IO power monitor can do it all from one redstone port by just monitoring your capacitor bank.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

xanthan posted:

Which mod in CotT is letting mobs attack through walls? A creeper that can not see me and has never seen me should not blow up and a zombie should not be able to hit me from behind a wall.

Dunno which it is, but mobs will definitely blow up or set TnT to blow up a single layer wall between you and them. It happened in my first world and in the second I just moved into a mountain first thing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

xanthan posted:

Build thicker walls.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Toadsmash posted:

Infernal mobs, what else?

xanthan posted:

While unsatisfying, thicker (not sturdier) walls is the correct non-config modifying solution. That was the point (it was a wild dog, for me) where the charm of seeing the world slowly blasted into hell ran out for me so I never bothered tracking down the mod responsible.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Devor posted:

The simpler one with Rednet, if you're using the one that has Rednet Ports as part of the Reactor mod, you can put two ports next to each other, and hook them up to each other with Rednet Cable.

One port Outputs the Energy Storage %, and the other port treats as Input the Control Rod Insertion

So as your reactor's energy buffer fills up, it automatically increases the control rod insertion to slow down the reaction, until it's full and stops completely.

It's not as efficient as other methods, but it's dead simple.

No Rednet(last I checked) in 1.10.2 which is what the question was about.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Eox posted:

I'm gonna say that the mod that adds completely silent creepers with the explosion sound replaced by a poorly-ripped and far too long version of the Deez Nuts vine is the actual worst mod in COTT and possibly minecraft in general

i don't get why other people bother to make different creeper sounds, when we have the only acceptable one with the Lemongrab scream (more so if it still effects the TNT sounds)

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Hagop posted:

Simplest route is two redstone control ports, one set to "emit if storage above 90%", one set to "control rods set to 100% while active".

Hagop
May 14, 2012

chrisf posted:

Simplest route is two redstone control ports, one set to "emit if storage above 90%", one set to "control rods set to 100% while active".

Seems like you would run into wasted startup and cool down as wouldn't the reactor just flicker on and off at 90%?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Hagop posted:

Seems like you would run into wasted startup and cool down as wouldn't the reactor just flicker on and off at 90%?

Correct. This wouldn't waste a ton of fuel, but it would waste some.

I really wish Big Reactors had analog redstone support for the redstone ports. Stuff like "analog signal output proportionate to reactor energy fill level" and "set control rods proportionate to analog redstone signal input" would get the rednet solution back without MFR needed.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Hagop posted:

Any modpack that I've played long enough to get a bigreactor going has also had yellorium as an essentially infinite resource, so a tiny bit of wasted fuel is negligible, and a 3x3 reactor with one core and graphite cooling likely isn't going to care about optimum efficiency anyways. My simple setup is just to make sure I'm not wasting automated fuel on a capped reactor energy cell.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

xanthan posted:

epic siege mod gives mobs x-ray vision

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
If you're having trouble getting established, create a team and claim the area around your base so poo poo doesn't get broken when the millions of creepers that spawn each night attack you.

I turned it back off and I'm in the process of fortifying the floor with reinforced stone. Dear good do you need a lot of grout.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This is going to sound strange, but is there any way to take the default Sky Factory 3 map and make it "generic" so I can use it in another pack? I tried making it in Sky Factory 3, then copying it from there to the other pack, but when I did the map seemed to drop down the x-axis so everything I was doing was "underground".

e: or maybe a simple map editor so I can recreate it myself?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is going to sound strange, but is there any way to take the default Sky Factory 3 map and make it "generic" so I can use it in another pack? I tried making it in Sky Factory 3, then copying it from there to the other pack, but when I did the map seemed to drop down the x-axis so everything I was doing was "underground".

e: or maybe a simple map editor so I can recreate it myself?

I never played Sky Factory, whats different from a normal Skyblock map? There are tons of those for vanilla.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I can't emphasize the COTT recommendation to burrow into a mountain highly enough. I hosed off to a big hill, dug a tunnel like 20 blocks long into it, and set up a desert house. I have lava pouring over my front entrance any time I'm not trying to leave (which is basically always because gently caress trying to go outside) and it's working pretty well.

Also I think it's highly likely that Engineer is just The Best Class because the turret trivializes most early game fights as far as I can tell. I did Warlock to get a jumpstart on Ars Magica (and then promptly lost my Fireball spell because I'm a moron :mad:) and I've got no regrets about that, but I think it would certainly have made my life easier to go Engineer and just dump all of my cobble into it and let it clear my front door.

E:

So here's my general recommendations for making COTT fun instead of frustrating:

1) Remove Infernal Mobs. It is possibly the worst mod ever made for minecraft and I have yet to see a pack that was not infinitely worse for its inclusion.

2) Dig into a mountain to set up your house.

3) Set keepInventory true

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 13, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rutibex posted:

I never played Sky Factory, whats different from a normal Skyblock map? There are tons of those for vanilla.

It has no quests to breadcrumb you along. It's got a mark-them-yourself-as-you-go list of things to do.

It is notable for having two of the best mods in Minecraft -- Snad and Tree Growing Simulator.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It has no quests to breadcrumb you along. It's got a mark-them-yourself-as-you-go list of things to do.

It is notable for having two of the best mods in Minecraft -- Snad and Tree Growing Simulator.

That has nothing to do with the map, that's the modlist the pack just happens to have, and the only unique thing about SF3 is that it's on 1.10. Grab a mod that makes a void world, add the mods you want to go into it, bam you have what you want as far as I know.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I meant the actual starting map itself, which is just a tree on a single dirt block. I know I can just use the classic skyblock map or whatever, but I like starting from a minimal map for stuff like this.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Mastermind posted:

I meant the actual starting map itself, which is just a tree on a single dirt block. I know I can just use the classic skyblock map or whatever, but I like starting from a minimal map for stuff like this.

Grab a traditional skyblock, then go into creative mode and destroy the extra dirt and plant a tree. Then fly to the top of the tree and turn off Creative Mode. Should take less time than it took me to write this post.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Grab a traditional skyblock, then go into creative mode and destroy the extra dirt and plant a tree. Then fly to the top of the tree and turn off Creative Mode. Should take less time than it took me to write this post.

You know...that honestly didn't even occur to me. Thanks!

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I usually don't get super creative with my mob grinder setups, so I'm pretty happy with how this turned out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e83pFJw8aoU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Rutibex posted:

Vanilla skyblocks aren't really like the heavily modded Ex Nihilo, zero-to-draconic ones. And specifically the Sky Factory packs are the many-mod skyblocks that were designed/balanced for silly power tripping. They specialize in having a bunch of quality-of-life mods in it instead of grindy challenges or extra-hard recipes. So it's got stuff like cheap builder's wands, vein miner, and whatever mod makes trees get bonemealed by shift-button dancing near them.

They were initially created by a full-time twitch streamer although I think he's pushed some of the development of the newest pack onto the FTB team. There's some dumb twitch fan reference sort of stuff, but there's a lot of mod-choice freedom in how you do anything. Also these have some semi-unique things like 5x5 sifting and other proprietary tweaks.