Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Heh I guess Torched has kept up and is available for 1.10.2.

Ohhhh frenzy :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
I'm on it, I'll see if I can get it in the next update

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

just tried COTT and lmao

"hey this isn't so bad, there isn't anything hostile and i assume there won't be any until night tiHOLY poo poo IS THAT AN ALSATIAN AAA"

thankfully some rats came and hosed it up, so i could dig a 3-block hole and cower

e: yes, this pack is not for me

7000hp

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
At least it can't steal your stuff! You'll just get zapped occasionally just being around it, it'll throw fireballs and any landed attack will spell your doom. :suicide:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I have no idea why 7000 hp made sense to the person who manages that modpack. Are there weapons that do upwards of 100 damage per hit? Christ, it even has Bulwark and 1UP so you have to kill it four times over. 28000 damage is required to kill that thing.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The modifiers act as multipliers to the HP. I suspect they also stack.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

McFrugal posted:

I have no idea why 7000 hp made sense to the person who manages that modpack. Are there weapons that do upwards of 100 damage per hit? Christ, it even has Bulwark and 1UP so you have to kill it four times over. 28000 damage is required to kill that thing.

That bullshit only requires one mod, which has been reduced in aggravation from it's default configs. Infernal Mobs is very well designed!

If you take out Infernal Mobs then the HP of random spawns caps out at 200 128 for zombies and 240 168 for dogs after real days of playtime. If you leave Infernal Mobs in then 4800 HP bears on minecraft day 1 are not uncommon.

EDIT: Goofed on the math.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 10, 2017

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Yeah I tried a few different starts in CoTT and having an 8000hp fire elemental spawn on day 1 just after I placed my hobbit house is a pain. Turning it off I still get zombies chucking lit TNT at my front door while anime ninetails, vampires, and butlers all try to kill me.

Also no recipe for the Tinker IO items required for the early quests, so I just cheated in the fuel input machine and a stack of solid fuel because holy poo poo, literally. The loving recipe requires turds and you get those by making laxatives in the form of "poo poo pills". Are you expected to take them yourself or can you just find some farm animals and force feed them the pills until they poo poo themselves inside out? I see they actually cause damage after a while too.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheBlandName posted:

That bullshit only requires one mod, which has been reduced in aggravation from it's default configs. Infernal Mobs is very well designed!

If you take out Infernal Mobs then the HP of random spawns caps out at 200 128 for zombies and 240 168 for dogs after real days of playtime. If you leave Infernal Mobs in then 4800 HP bears on minecraft day 1 are not uncommon.

EDIT: Goofed on the math.

Infernal Mobs does not normally multiply hp by 50. They made it WORSE.

edit: okay, the Infernal Mobs config works a little differently than I remember. It multiplies mob hp by the number of bonuses it got, then it multiplies that by the "mob health factor" which in COTT is 1.5. So that dog has 16.5x its normal hp... which does not add up to 7000. It should be less than half that.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 10, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

man i thought i was rubbing a cheese grater on my balls when i decided to do infinity evolved skyblock but drat, those monsters sound utterly insane

related to that: right now i am trying to waddle up the magic path in IE:S, and i'm currently stuck on eldritch eyes

in order to make a portal to the outer lands you need four eldritch eyes, but you can't make them without the crimson rites book, which you can't get unless you make a bunch of the portal-in-a-boxes that spawn the structures with portals to the outer lands

however, what you can do is get a ton of warp and wait for random eldritch guardians to spawn, and they have a low chance of dropping an eldritch eye (or you can catch em in a soul vial and spawn em with an ender io powered spawner, which is what i'm gonna do)

however i am pretty sure that they won't spawn on not-solid blocks, such as the half-slabs that made up my entire base

cue me running around with a wand of equal trade replacing my entire base with cobblestone, and then finally i got at least the mind spiders to spawn, which is a good sign

my reward for this is not only access to the outer lands, but the eldritch eye i need to turn into a master blood orb

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
If you get lucky enough to spawn into an area with a mountain I highly recommend making a B-line to it and digging into it to place your first base. The blueprint will auto dig out everything for you then you can concentrate on a single entry point for mobs. Also This recent version screwed up a couple quests because for the life of me I can not find the quest Feel The Power for the Armor Plus Quest line. Pretty sure he removed some of the middle quests that were crafting armor and forgot to change the prereq. Also I couldn't get the interface for the workbench to show up. Fun times of playing a pack as the kinks get worked out.

Also anyone with experience with the Levels mod know how to get the abilities for your gear as it levels up? I hit the hot key and get the UI but nothing is there.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

This is the real question. If the 7k HP mobs are eventually killable then that's at least something to work towards, but if not then what's the loving point? Why not just make them invincible?

Also am I hearing right that this has the apocalypse mod or whatever that scales up enemy health, damage, and speed over time? Because I played that in exactly one pack before (Madpack 2? I can't quite remember) and barely tolerated it, and even then it only worked at all because the whole pack was built around racing your way out.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Wolfsbane posted:

I (and my daughter) would be super interested in a Pixelmon pack if you can get one up and running.

Also, I finally found lapis in CotT. Current count is ~15 stacks of redstone and 23 lapis. I need around 75 lapis for two of the starter quests, and I'm running out of easily available food...

its easy enough, just get the launcher from the official website, (i used to be on the dev team)

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Verizian posted:

Yeah I tried a few different starts in CoTT and having an 8000hp fire elemental spawn on day 1 just after I placed my hobbit house is a pain. Turning it off I still get zombies chucking lit TNT at my front door while anime ninetails, vampires, and butlers all try to kill me.

Also no recipe for the Tinker IO items required for the early quests, so I just cheated in the fuel input machine and a stack of solid fuel because holy poo poo, literally. The loving recipe requires turds and you get those by making laxatives in the form of "poo poo pills". Are you expected to take them yourself or can you just find some farm animals and force feed them the pills until they poo poo themselves inside out? I see they actually cause damage after a while too.

Kill dogs and rats, they drop 'turds'.

Also, you can claim chunks with the ftbutils thing and turn off explosion damage inside chunks you've claimed. The rest is just about luck and finding somewhere defensible I guess.

Vib Rib posted:

This is the real question. If the 7k HP mobs are eventually killable then that's at least something to work towards, but if not then what's the loving point? Why not just make them invincible?

Also am I hearing right that this has the apocalypse mod or whatever that scales up enemy health, damage, and speed over time? Because I played that in exactly one pack before (Madpack 2? I can't quite remember) and barely tolerated it, and even then it only worked at all because the whole pack was built around racing your way out.

The point of CoTT is primarily to dig your heels in, fortify your home and just try to survive. Eventually you will build up to being a badass, but until then just focus on making yourself a castle. Normally I hate this sort of thing but it's interesting sometimes, and it's finally given me a reason to try out the Modular Turrets mod since in basically everything else I've played (even Blightfall!) just placing a wooden fence around your home is pretty much enough to keep you safe from any dangers.

May not be your thing, but it's not something you should play unless you specifically want to do that.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

It's a bad modpack. Sometimes you can still have fun with bad things, though.

McFrugal posted:

Infernal Mobs does not normally multiply hp by 50. They made it WORSE.

edit: okay, the Infernal Mobs config works a little differently than I remember. It multiplies mob hp by the number of bonuses it got, then it multiplies that by the "mob health factor" which in COTT is 1.5. So that dog has 16.5x its normal hp... which does not add up to 7000. It should be less than half that.

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt on this to the modpack creator, rather than the mod author. I get that creating the mod required a lot more effect and that we're supposed to respect that, but the mod author has not provided a comprehensive explanation of how the mod generates the HP numbers. So when something in the mod makes the same config file spit out 360 HP bears on the low end and 4800 bears on the high end (before time based scaling has any effect) I'm inclined to blame the mod whose config provides "mobHealthFactor" as though that's all the control and explanation you could ever want.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Anything like blightfall/skyden come out recently? I tried going back into the thread and looking for modpack suggestions but I keep seeing acronyms I can't find the full name of.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Is there a good tool that will help track down causes of lag? I know on an old server I used to play on the admins would use something to tell them what type of item was lagging everything and where it was.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Depends posted:

Is there a good tool that will help track down causes of lag? I know on an old server I used to play on the admins would use something to tell them what type of item was lagging everything and where it was.

Opis, but there's only a 1.7.10 version.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Regarding remotely lighting up stuff: Grimdark has torch arrows in it, which seems to be good enough. Unfortunately, zombies want to break all of them. I got to the third level of the dungeons where the crypts start showing up. Stopping mob spawners with lighting becomes really difficult.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Opis, but there's only a 1.7.10 version.

This explains why 1.7.10 mod packs run so much better than 1.10.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Depends posted:

It's not quite a full Opis replacement, but I've used TickProfiler a few times for things like tracking down excessive entities.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Rutibex posted:

This explains why 1.7.10 mod packs run so much better than 1.10.

Bullshit. On our last server iteration at DPT, we used Opis and it was more "Oh, piss!" then anything. We were experiencing horrifying lag under odd situations and Opis did nothing to help point it out. It turned out to be a weird bug where running an ME network inside an RFTools dimension with no one inside the dimension brought the server to a screeching halt. We only diagnosed that after using Opis extensively for over a week to systematically clear out half of the population's bases and finally putting 2 and 2 together and realizing that things got better once all the ME networks were down. At no point did Opis lead us towards anything from AE2 or RFTools. Instead it kept pointing us at things like Immersive Engineering's spotlights and waterwheels, and Advanced Generators' generators.

On 1.10.2, TickProfiler has been a damned godsend in comparison. We're able to pinpoint the exact block that's causing issues, scan specific chunks, and generally drill down as broadly or as narrowly as we want. It was TickProfiler that showed us that Forestry butterflies were spawning in the thousands and choking the server, and it was TickProfiler that showed us that Refined Storage loads all of its calculations through the main controller blocks, and allowed us to figure out that if there's a crafting task in the queue, but not enough materials, that the system will cause relatively large amounts of server lag until the task is either completed or deleted.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I should also add, with the most recent FoamFix, 1.10.2 packs should load even faster than 1.7.10 packs, and they generally perform better with equivalent mods now, assuming you have enough RAM to play. The only drawback on 1.10.2 is it does require more RAM than it used to, but on the other hand, it's less reliant on single-thread CPU speed.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Serifina posted:

I should also add, with the most recent FoamFix, 1.10.2 packs should load even faster than 1.7.10 packs, and they generally perform better with equivalent mods now, assuming you have enough RAM to play. The only drawback on 1.10.2 is it does require more RAM than it used to, but on the other hand, it's less reliant on single-thread CPU speed.

And since Single-thread CPU speed has been mostly static for years...

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
ive invented a machine that lets you see posts from the future

Rutibex posted:

This explains why 1.10 mod packs run so much better than 1.16.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
In other, less shitposty news, how do you actually get anywhere in Craft of the Titans? I went into Creative mode to scope out a mountain to shove a base into, set up my base, and immediately had a 500 HP hunger draining bear pawing at the front door with some weird anime mob sprinting in to shank me.

I was able to clear everything out, but I think I may have made a grave mistake in choosing Warlock instead of Hunter or Engineer. Leveling AM2 early seemed like a good choice, but I'd really kill to have some passive defenses set up at my front door. If nothing else, I'm terrified to go mining or woodcutting because of the insane mobs that seem to perpetually await me at my front door. I'm half tempted to just nerdpole up to a nearby slime island and relocate up there and play this like a semi-skyblock.

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 10, 2017

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Magres posted:

In other, less shitposty news, how do you actually get anywhere in Craft of the Titans? I went into Creative mode to scope out a mountain to shove a base into, set up my base, and immediately had a 500 HP hunger draining bear pawing at the front door with some weird anime mob sprinting in to shank me.

I was able to clear everything out, but I think I may have made a grave mistake in choosing Warlock instead of Hunter or Engineer. Leveling AM2 early seemed like a good choice, but I'd really kill to have some passive defenses set up at my front door. If nothing else, I'm terrified to go mining or woodcutting because of the insane mobs that seem to perpetually await me at my front door. I'm half tempted to just nerdpole up to a nearby slime island and relocate up there and play this like a semi-skyblock.

Set up a piston and lava source block above your door. Release fiery death upon your enemies, dwarf fortress style!

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

Magres posted:

It has been 1 or 2 updates since I last played it but the best base I could find was to build 5-6 blocks over the water in an ocean like 40-50 blocks away from the beach. You have to deal with piranhas a bunch but since they can never be infernal its mostly a nonissue.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Carcer posted:

Anything like blightfall/skyden come out recently? I tried going back into the thread and looking for modpack suggestions but I keep seeing acronyms I can't find the full name of.

Nope. A sequel to Crash Landing called Forever Stranded came out for 1.10, though. The COTT people are talking about is Craft of the Titans, a hardcore survival pack with quests but they are just guides to teach how to do stuff and give rewards for doing them, not any real story or anything.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Regarding remotely lighting up stuff: Grimdark has torch arrows in it, which seems to be good enough. Unfortunately, zombies want to break all of them. I got to the third level of the dungeons where the crypts start showing up. Stopping mob spawners with lighting becomes really difficult.

AM2 Light spell.

Also re: COTT, you need some luck and a way to funnel enemies. You get a ton of stone spikes early on from a quest and you should try to set up your base such that enemies are forced onto them in trying to get to you. Give them a corner to walk into and they'll get stuck on them until they die. And probably make sure that corner is Reinforced Stone so it's not broken through.

Also: do the quests ASAP.

PS: Anyone who chooses the default starter house style is a bad person and deserves to have all their stuff destroyed.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 11, 2017

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Why does Agrarian Skies 2 have a quest to get bloody scrivener's scribing tools when research is set to "Easy"? You don't use ink at all.

It's also strange that so many quests give you extra lives when you have infinite lives by default.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Set up a piston and lava source block above your door. Release fiery death upon your enemies, dwarf fortress style!

Done

IT FEELS SO GOOD

BURN YOU GODFORSAKEN WOLVES BUUUURN

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You actually get some lava florbs in the quests and are told to use them exactly for that :v:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Which platform is COTT on, I can't find it on technic.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Carcer posted:

Which platform is COTT on, I can't find it on technic.

Twitch client, nee Curse client, nee FTB.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
To remove Infernal Mobs, can you just delete the .jar file for it and then you're good?

Seriously what a dogshit mod, it might be the actual worst mod I've ever played with - even the ones with idiotic and obnoxious tech trees, generally if they're in a modpack you can just ignore them, but it's hard to ignore a 700 HP regenerating thorns withering poisoning anime girl vomiting fireballs at you from 200 blocks away.

(I know the stupid anime girls are Grimoire of Gaia, but they're at least easy to murder if they're not Infernal)

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm gonna say that the mod that adds completely silent creepers with the explosion sound replaced by a poorly-ripped and far too long version of the Deez Nuts vine is the actual worst mod in COTT and possibly minecraft in general

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eox posted:

I'm gonna say that the mod that adds completely silent creepers with the explosion sound replaced by a poorly-ripped and far too long version of the Deez Nuts vine is the actual worst mod in COTT and possibly minecraft in general

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/deez-nuts-creepers

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Whether a meme is actually good or not, it is a universal constant that a minecraft mod containing the word "meme" in either the title or description will be unmitigated garbage

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Arkitektbmw posted:

Check out this map from BzUrQ if you haven't already. It's got just about all the biomes in neat little islands. Also has gyms and a lab, and a mall. Along with some legendary island thing. Last I had checked, he hadn't updated it with bosses on each floor of the tower on the legendary island. But it's still an amazing map.

http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/pixelmon-adventure-map---crew-pixelmon/
This is so pretty! Sadly it doesn't port to 1.10.2 very well: the blocks are all there but the newer Pixelmon apparently handles entities differently so the NPCs are gone. I only wanted nice scenery though, and it definitely delivers on that front.

Wolfsbane posted:

I (and my daughter) would be super interested in a Pixelmon pack if you can get one up and running.

I'm happy to put up what I have but it's just an assorted collection of 'stuff that looks interesting to me', so it's kind of a mess. You'd do fine grabbing the Pixelmon .jar and setting it up through your launcher of choice.

Suggested configs for casual play, you can edit them from the ingame mod options:
- Disable aggressive wild Pokemon
- Enable TM reuse/all the other reuse options
- Turn the experience modifier up, I have it on 2x
- Enable 'Spawn levels by distance' so that wild Pokemon increase in level the further you move from the starting spawn. You can scale the settings as you play if it gets too easy/hard.

Cheat in a stack of Pokeballs each and if you didn't spawn near a town, cheat in a healer and PC. You can craft them all yourself but it requires a fair amount of mining.
If you use JEI, it'll block some of the starter selection screen and the right-hand buttons in battles. You can just hide it (default: ctrl-O) and continue on.

Basic controls:
R will send out your currently selected Pokemon. You initiate battles by throwing the Pokeball at opponents.
Up and down arrows cycle through your Pokemon list.
Target a wild Pokemon with V then press F to tell your sent-out Pokemon to chase it down and battle it. It is a bit buggy but a good option if you can't hit it with a ball easily.
If your selected Pokemon has any external moves, they appear in the top right of the screen. Press G to use, and cycle through available moves with B. You can do things like set blocks on fire and cut down trees, it's pretty great.

My resource packs:
https://mods.curse.com/texture-packs/minecraft/264556-annahstas-beastrinia-pokemon-inspired-32x (ignore any incompatibility warnings, it works fine in 1.10)
https://mods.curse.com/texture-packs/minecraft/227900-pixelmons-faithful-x32-addon
https://mods.curse.com/texture-packs/minecraft/228794-pixelmon-guis-fire-red-inspired
https://mods.curse.com/texture-packs/minecraft/250865-minecraft-guis-fire-red-inspired
Also using SFLP shaders in the screenshots above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
COTT questions:

1) Can I turn rats stealing my stuff off somehow?

2) If/when I get tired of the crazy infernal mobs, how do I turn them off and can I do so without breaking a save?