Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Dont things get confusing when there's multiples of one specific model on scene?

Does this ever happen? I figured that all B's looked identical, and were differentiated by number. Is this wrong? Like there isn't more than one 2B (excluding transporter shenanigans), but each B has a unique number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Dont things get confusing when there's multiples of one specific model on scene?

Route C Spoilers: Not sure if its headcanon, but someone suggested that this is why they wear the masks in the all-out YorHa attack.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I thought the numbers are both names and model numbers. It's hard to say I guess since we dont get good closeup looks of most other Yorha members.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

That explains it well. Thanks.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I believe Taro said in recent events or materials that the same unit is very rarely active in two places at once, so there wouldn't be two 2B's in the same place. He said it would gently caress with them when merging data if they did it too much.

I think he said that only A2 and 2B look identical, but that's because 2B is essentially a recommissioned A2 after A2 went rogue.

Like A2 is an iPhone 4 and 2B is an iPhone 5 but A3 and 3B would be like HTC phones

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 12, 2017

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
IIRC, letters are tied to model-type and function, numbers denote the base personality - so 2B and A2 are both derived from the same "Person," which makes a lot of sense from a thematic standpoint (if true).

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

iospace posted:

point, but I'd prefer ending E as canon. Though does the ship launch if you get that one too? I got E on the tail end of C,did D first.

The true continuity is already confirmed to deviate from the game because Pascal survives and achieves peace in the timeline

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not in mine. That camera just cut to a deserted village. :unsmigghh:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Outside of character choices always being un-quantifiable, I love that the cyclical nature of machine behaviour means that Pascal is always destined to be the best boy, even if you restart him from zero and I am ignoring the elephant in the room that also means he is doomed to repeat his mistakes and watch his children die :)

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Bad Seafood posted:

IIRC, letters are tied to model-type and function, numbers denote the base personality - so 2B and A2 are both derived from the same "Person," which makes a lot of sense from a thematic standpoint (if true).

This. For example say you have 22B, you'd think it means "this is the 22nd B type unit" but it actually means she's the 22nd YoRHa unit in general (of around 100) who's currently designated as a B-unit.

What muddles things though is that the S-units all happen to look alike. Maybe they don't get to change model? :psyduck:

Nina fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 12, 2017

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Tatumje posted:

For some strange reason, he is wearing his human mask.
"You can take photos of the slides, but i usually don't show my face non-emil mask a lot, so please refrain from taking photos of me." is a weird thing to say in a recorded presentation. I can't tell if he was joking or didn't actually know about the video camera pointed at him.
Great talk tho.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

iospace posted:

So, odds of a sequel coming?

Namely one following Jackass and her exploits to hunt down that the android behind YoRHa?

I want a Yoko Taro/Dark Souls collaboration from the viewpoint of the fire keepers.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

"You can take photos of the slides, but i usually don't show my face non-emil mask a lot, so please refrain from taking photos of me." is a weird thing to say in a recorded presentation. I can't tell if he was joking or didn't actually know about the video camera pointed at him.
Great talk tho.

It's not that weird. He knows it's being recorded but it still doesn't mean he's happy about people pointing their cameras at him. Like, I don't photos being taken of me but it doesn't stop me from going to the togger even though I know theres a chance I'll be on the Sky Sports News highlights because they record the crowd or whatever, I still don't want them taking direct photos of me.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I love that presentation because it's Taro at his most genuine. There's no PR auteur persona going on and it's just pure insight into his thought process

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Okay, just started Route C and....well, someone needs to make a video game version of :suspense:

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

SirPhoebos posted:

Okay, just started Route C and....well, someone needs to make a video game version of :suspense:

Finding out A and B was basically an extended prologue was one of the best gaming moments I've ever experienced

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Analysis: A2's gameplay is the bomb and you should definitely beat the DLC with her.

I love the taunt system so much.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I can never utilise the berserk mode properly because I feel like her health drains in about five seconds

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

slap a decent deadly heal and offensive heal on her and that stops being an issue tbh

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

Analysis: A2's gameplay is the bomb and you should definitely beat the DLC with her.

I love the taunt system so much.

A2... best... girl...

Hmm... Yeah, I think I can agree.
In fact, I think I've believed this since the first time I laid eyes on her concept art.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
NieR: Automata - Baby Got Backup Drive

Eve confirmed for best husbando.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Trico posted:

Finding out A and B was basically an extended prologue was one of the best gaming moments I've ever experienced

I know, right? I've watched about a dozen blind play-throughs reacting to this moment. It's really easy to skim through a long stream to find it. The music might be my favorite track in the game, and the "Developed by PLATINUM GAMES" black title card almost always gets a good reaction from players and makes twitch chat explode.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

NieR: Automata - Baby Got Backup Drive

Eve confirmed for best husbando.

A2 having the best booty too is too far.
Gotta let 2B have something.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

slap a decent deadly heal and offensive heal on her and that stops being an issue tbh

Yep.

God it's so awesome. Throw the one that boosts damage at low health too just for good measure. :getin:

edit: or maybe this :kheldragar: or perhaps this :black101:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 12, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

She has the personality.

Well, something kind of resembling that, at least

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I remember playing A, then B, then going "... am I going to be able to play as A2? She was advertised as playable."

WELP I DIDN'T EXPECT THAT :stare:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In a literal sense, 2B has A2's personality, so... THINKING EMOJI

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Josuke Higashikata posted:

where are the side by side gifs of 2b and a2 walking away from the camera

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I finally got the Platinum.

I feel the need to go out somewhere. Maybe stand on a hill watching the sun set or something.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

where are the side by side gifs of 2b and a2 walking away from the camera

QFT. There are no videos of A2's walking animation on YouTube, but there are a few dozen for 2B. I've done the research. Automata will easily pass two million sales once the A2 gifs begin proliferating.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What am I missing with the machine arena DLC? It appears to be complete poo poo. I am trying to do the last challenge (lv99 (I am lv99)) and I'm being stunlocked in a goddamn Platinum game. The receptionist is talking about hacking like it does something but it seems to not. The controllable machines ask me to choose a weapon from a menu with only one option, ever. I have to be missing something, right?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Fedule posted:

What am I missing with the machine arena DLC? It appears to be complete poo poo. I am trying to do the last challenge (lv99 (I am lv99)) and I'm being stunlocked in a goddamn Platinum game. The receptionist is talking about hacking like it does something but it seems to not. The controllable machines ask me to choose a weapon from a menu with only one option, ever. I have to be missing something, right?

You can only control machines that you've previously remote controlled elsewhere.

Apparently medium biped with an axe is the strongest option.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Tarezax posted:

You can only control machines that you've previously remote controlled elsewhere.

Apparently medium biped with an axe is the strongest option.

This would have been really nice to have been mentioned somewhere. I love Platinum like I have loved no other studio but Jesus Christ they have a problem not explaining stuff.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
It's vaguely intimated at at the start when 9S (if you go in as 9S) mentions having hacked that bot before.

I used a sword spider to finish off that fight. Good mobility and a great heavy attack to demolish the goliaths.

Edit: the best way to collect new hacked bots for that arena is to find an easy victim, then use him to chain hack the harder targets (like the linked sphere snakes)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Huh, i only just now realized that the only reason that the player is assigned the YoRHa betrayers mission is because 2B is, well, actually E series. Also her lack of commentary at 9S' exasperation at how the mission turns out, but early-game that's easily attributed to her general lack of dialogue whenever 9S tries conversation.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Revised opinion; having thought the problem was just lack of good units, I went and got some and tried that, and now I see I was wrong. The machine arena is just poo poo. Nothing is immune to stunlock, gun machines are literally useless, and hitboxes are either tiny or broken. Eventually I'm gonna roll ten sixes on the RNG dice and never come back to this again.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fedule posted:

Revised opinion; having thought the problem was just lack of good units, I went and got some and tried that, and now I see I was wrong. The machine arena is just poo poo. Nothing is immune to stunlock, gun machines are literally useless, and hitboxes are either tiny or broken. Eventually I'm gonna roll ten sixes on the RNG dice and never come back to this again.

The medium gunner's pretty decent in my experience, especially against enemies without shields. The heavy laser fucks dudes right up AND stuns them.

Also, there's a chip that boosts your level for the arena. Helps a lot.

I found it kind of fun discovering how to best use each machine, but I totally understand the frustration. Going from an agile ultimate killing machine to a toaster whose best defensive move is a hop... yeah.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

chiasaur11 posted:

The medium gunner's pretty decent in my experience, especially against enemies without shields. The heavy laser fucks dudes right up AND stuns them.

Also, there's a chip that boosts your level for the arena. Helps a lot.

I found it kind of fun discovering how to best use each machine, but I totally understand the frustration. Going from an agile ultimate killing machine to a toaster whose best defensive move is a hop... yeah.

I don't even know where to start with this. Guns are cool but seem to be completely useless against any shield. Chips I thought didn't have any effect?

I thought my best bet for Lv99 would be tiny buzzsaw dude but I got to the round after the tank and whichever of the gun guy and laser guy I go after just ends it immediately. There seems to be no defence against bullets.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fedule posted:

I don't even know where to start with this. Guns are cool but seem to be completely useless against any shield. Chips I thought didn't have any effect?

I thought my best bet for Lv99 would be tiny buzzsaw dude but I got to the round after the tank and whichever of the gun guy and laser guy I go after just ends it immediately. There seems to be no defence against bullets.

Ah, you're on the level 99 one? Right, then chips can't help. Sorry for suggesting it. The hijack chips can just boost your level in the arena for all the lower levels.

The buzzsaw's spin attack blocks bullets, but it takes a while to spin up and cool down. Shields (as you've seen) block ranged attacks, but they break if you get hit and don't have good AOE. If you got a gun, jumping behind shield enemies works, and it's about the only way to handle them if you don't have a melee attack.

Never bothered with the top level arena beyond a little fiddling, though, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Fedule posted:

Try medium biped with dual axes if you haven't already. It's L1 attack basically turns it into a blender that damages anything it walks into and destroys all bullets coming at you. The only problem with it is that it has a very long startup time, so you either want to anticipate an enemy spawn to take some guys out immediately, or create some distance so you can wind up first.