Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

I knew a guy that did that kind of poo poo grade animation. They do it on purpose to make the company look as no frills as possible, so clearly you are getting a good deal on their products.

No clue about the action figure aspect of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Indolent Bastard posted:

I knew a guy that did that kind of poo poo grade animation. They do it on purpose to make the company look as no frills as possible, so clearly you are getting a good deal on their products.

don't forget, it's really memorable for being poo poo grade

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

This is how The Cheat stays in business.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The MSJ posted:

Here the Cheat, have a trophy!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

The MSJ posted:

Any company that would hire the Chapman brothers to do a The Cheat-style animation for a commercial would almost immediately get my money, whether I needed their services or not.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Is this the same studio that did Food Fight??

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The MSJ posted:

hehe

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I bought a bag of white skittles - didn't think anything of it until I've read:

quote:

All the lentils are white in the celebration of Pride

So - white pride? :raise:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's a really tortured metaphor of "The only rainbow should be those in the parade".

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://youtu.be/gIiO5_ZHJ8o

Alergies are making words disappear? Did they print the world's smallest dictionary to guilt parents into making their kids go outside?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

grittyreboot posted:

https://youtu.be/gIiO5_ZHJ8o

Alergies are making words disappear? Did they print the world's smallest dictionary to guilt parents into making their kids go outside?

I mean yeah? I don't think the message that kids don't go outside as much is really a bad one.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

I mean yeah? I don't think the message that kids don't go outside as much is really a bad one.

Well when it's coming from a pharmaceutical company, the intent seems less altruistic.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Well when it's coming from a pharmaceutical company, the intent seems less altruistic.

Nice work cracking the case.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wasn't there a juice commercial or something with a bunch of like 50-70 year olds talking about getting chased by bears and hopping fences in their youth and then they're moved to tears by watching a video of kids saying they liked watching TV and playing video games with their friends?

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wasn't there a juice commercial or something with a bunch of like 50-70 year olds talking about getting chased by bears and hopping fences in their youth and then they're moved to tears by watching a video of kids saying they liked watching TV and playing video games with their friends?

Yeah, it was pretty infuriating, really. A bunch of parents and grandparents talking about how sad it was that their children said that their favorite thing to do was sit inside all day and play videogames or post on social media or whatever, and how it's sad that childhood just isn't like it used to be. LIKE WHOSE FAULT IS THAT?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sucrose posted:

Yeah, it was pretty infuriating, really. A bunch of parents and grandparents talking about how sad it was that their children said that their favorite thing to do was sit inside all day and play videogames or post on social media or whatever, and how it's sad that childhood just isn't like it used to be. LIKE WHOSE FAULT IS THAT?

Kids these days and their participation trophies! :argh:

Is the people who awarded those trophies.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Platystemon posted:

Kids these days and their participation trophies! :argh:

Is the people who complained loudly that their kid didn't get a trophy so caused them to get handed out to everyone.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I have literally never heard of anyone receiving a participation trophy

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Cumslut1895 posted:

And when they are handed out, kids treat them like trash, because they know that everyone got one and it's just a hunk of plastic. Kids are not nearly as stupid as many people believe them to be.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sucrose posted:

And when they are handed out, kids treat them like trash, because they know that everyone got one and it's just a hunk of plastic. Kids are not nearly as stupid as many people believe them to be.

Yup, just like they know who really won the game and what players suck. Sometimes I think people forget what it was like being a kid. Think back to like 5th or 6th grade, bet you still remember the kid on your baseball team that you just knew was gonna get out.

edit:
loving Robbie Walden

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gUKZpgVfMo

Jolly Guy
Sep 24, 2011

Cumslut1895 posted:

Filthy millennial here who has loads of soccer participation trophies. Everyone knew they were garbage at the time. Woulda rather had another ice cream sandwich at the banquet. Think they're all still at my parents house. They wanted the drat things more than I did.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Jolly Guy posted:

They wanted the drat things more than I did.

Ding ding ding!

Participation trophies were never so much about "making sure kids don't feel bad when they lose" (the kids aren't fooled), they've always been more about stroking the egos of the kinds of parents who scream at referees at children's soccer matches. Enough over-involved helicopter parents demand "well everyone should get something", and it's done. The kids don't care, and wouldn't be listened to even if they did.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

As a kid I saw the distribution of participation trophies as "hey, here's a momento of the time you did that thing". A souvenir for dumb children's "contests", basically. I've still got a few lying around, and sometimes I look at them and say "hey, that reminds me of the time I did that thing".

As actual awards, though? I and everyone I knew thought they were worthless.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

canis minor posted:

I bought a bag of white skittles - didn't think anything of it until I've read:

So - white pride? :raise:

Honestly the weirdest part of this to me is learning that the individual skittles are called "lentils"

what the gently caress

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I got first place in a swim competition when I was like 10 and by brother got dead last and cried so much the swim coach when scrounging around in the storeroom and found a lovely little trophy and gave it to him, so participation trophies definitely existed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Apparently the Skittles were released a year ago with the same color and no/less outrage?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cumslut1895 posted:

At school sports day in primary school (in the early nineties) they gave out ribbons for first, second and third place and everyone else got a "competitor" ribbon. Participation was mandatory, so absolutely no one cared about getting a ribbon signifying that you turned up to an event you were required to be at. I must have had half a dozen of them in the box my mother kept my old school stuff in.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Len posted:

Apparently the Skittles were released a year ago with the same color and no/less outrage?

I think last year they were more localized? I.e. only sold at pride parades. Now it's more widespread so more people are seeing them for the first time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In elementary school we had a 'Field Day' once a year where everybody would get into groups for various silly competitions.

There were ribbons for every runner up and my friend and I were very proud to get 19th and 20th place respectively (out of 20) :smug:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Cumslut1895 posted:

Participation medals have been given out in the Olympics since the beginning if the modern Olympics.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
aren't participation trophies just proof that you attended the event?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

aren't participation trophies just proof that you attended the event?

Actually they're a communist plot to protect the feelings of special snowflakes.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

and now we all have terrible self esteem because we can't trust praise.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

I got first place in a swim competition when I was like 10 and by brother got dead last and cried so much the swim coach when scrounging around in the storeroom and found a lovely little trophy and gave it to him, so participation trophies definitely existed.

Sometimes this back fires. My 5 year old nephew got a bike for his birthday from my parents. My mum was worried that since my 7 year old nephew wasn't getting anything that he would feel bad because a bike is a pretty big present and my parents usually give less obvious presents. So, my mum gave him a pack of dollar store playing cards and within 15 minutes my 5 year old nephew was crying because he really wanted playing cards, not a lousy new bike. Kids are bad at knowing what they want.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Goosed it. posted:

Sometimes this back fires. My 5 year old nephew got a bike for his birthday from my parents. My mum was worried that since my 7 year old nephew wasn't getting anything that he would feel bad because a bike is a pretty big present and my parents usually give less obvious presents. So, my mum gave him a pack of dollar store playing cards and within 15 minutes my 5 year old nephew was crying because he really wanted playing cards, not a lousy new bike. Kids are bad at knowing what they want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTyip-DgxCY

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Goosed it. posted:

Cold gruel. That's what they want.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I thought this was only something that happened in a Wimpy Kid book. Here is a follow up on Max.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q603JYd3a8

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Cumslut1895 posted:

We can't all be Randian supermen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

One year at summer camp, I was bound and loving determined to Get Good at archery. I never did — turns out I had undiagnosed vision problems! oh well — but I showed up to the range during every last scrap of my free time to put in practice. At the end of camp, I got an award not for being good, but for that sheer persistence, and at the time, that felt pretty great.

:shobon: