Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Intruder posted:

something something Indiana Jones says "No ticket"

Ronnie Woo Woo thrown off of scoreboard, security's only response: "No ticket"

I could almost write for the Sun Times now! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Popete posted:

He's been around for decades, former homeless guy who has been a fixture walking around the stands yelling "Wooooooo, Wooooooo".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BvHi5nU0yw

Unpopular opinion but I don't like Ronnie Woo Woo.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Grittybeard posted:

I watched Jordan Rides the Bus the other day, the 30 for 30 on his baseball....uh, career. Supposedly the guy who wrote the article for Sports Illustrated making fun of the whole thing went back at the all star break and wanted to write a followup of how much he'd changed in a few months, and everyone who was on the team with him talked about how they could imagine him putting it together. It's Jordan so he easily might have just paid everyone off to talk good about him.

I mean he slashed .202/.289/.266 for the year (although the White Sox threw him directly into AA which seems dumb), so if he improved significantly by the all star break he must have started off like 1-50 or something.

But anyway the one thing everyone agreed on is that Jordan worked his rear end off trying to make things work. I wonder how much of this Tebow is doing, you'd think we'd be getting dumb articles about how he's taking extra batting practice every day and stuff.

I mean, if I were in Tebow's position I'd certainly work my rear end off. He got into the NFL, a ticket to riches for a good QB, but there's a salary cap and he washed out. He has money, but probably not as much as he thought he'd have hoarded and he's staring at the prospect of probably not being able to totally retire. Even getting to the point of being "that guy who shows up in the outfield of whatever team is gonna suck this year and has a hole in LF" is going to make a difference to his bank account. Baseball is rife with guys who aren't good enough for you to even remember their name, but for you to see them on a visiting team and go "oh yeah, that guy. he was chilling at 2b for us when we sucked 5 years back". I think that might be attainable for him, and if can do that for 5-6 seasons that's a decent amount of money to retire on.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

cis autodrag posted:

I mean, if I were in Tebow's position I'd certainly work my rear end off. He got into the NFL, a ticket to riches for a good QB, but there's a salary cap and he washed out. He has money, but probably not as much as he thought he'd have hoarded and he's staring at the prospect of probably not being able to totally retire. Even getting to the point of being "that guy who shows up in the outfield of whatever team is gonna suck this year and has a hole in LF" is going to make a difference to his bank account. Baseball is rife with guys who aren't good enough for you to even remember their name, but for you to see them on a visiting team and go "oh yeah, that guy. he was chilling at 2b for us when we sucked 5 years back". I think that might be attainable for him, and if can do that for 5-6 seasons that's a decent amount of money to retire on.

He also gets a paycheck from ESPN for college football commentary which he will still be doing on weekends while playing baseball. That's the most damning part of this in terms of his "commitment" to the sport, and also to the Mets in terms of how seriously they take him.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Niwrad posted:

Unpopular opinion but I don't like Ronnie Woo Woo.

Homeless people who yell things are fun unless it's the homeless lady in boston who walks while staring into a mirror and either:

a) Screams a horrible, ear shattering scream

b) Yells racial slurs at people

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Tebow was making a decent living as a college football talking head at ESPN. Even disregarding the turmoil at the network, that would be a fine living for him. This is a vanity move and I hope the Mets keep promoting him and he gets embarrassed.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Plus even if ESPN dropped him he's set for life with speaking appearances.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The idea of Tebow being a utility guy for 5-6 years is not realistic though, he's already 29 and only at the single A level where he is struggling. A utility player has to have you know, utility. That means a strong baseball IQ, good defense and can play multiple positions around the field at a competent capacity. Tebow just started playing baseball again last year, he doesn't have the baseball IQ or defensive utility to be anything but a poor too mediocre outfielder where the premium is on his bat which currently isn't enough to carry him.

If he makes it up in a year or two (doubtful) he'll be in his early 30's and unless he's hitting the crap out of the ball he won't be a good utility player either. Again this whole experiment is doomed to fail but that's not why the Mets signed him.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
When your upside is Willie Bloomquist....

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Mike_V posted:

Tebow was making a decent living as a college football talking head at ESPN. Even disregarding the turmoil at the network, that would be a fine living for him. This is a vanity move and I hope the Mets keep promoting him and he gets embarrassed.

I don't think embarrassment is going to stop him from making tons of money. His NFL career was horrible and he is still extremely relevant in the sports world, getting an article a day written about him and talked about everywhere. It sucks.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Tony Phillips posted:

When your upside is Willie Bloomquist....

I'd say his upside (and this is like a 1 in 100 chance) is to be able to play like a Travis Snider or Eric Hinske. Passable in LF but not league average defense, and maybe 20hr pop with lots of K's. But it won't happen.

But still, good for him for hitting as well as he is so far. To get those numbers as someone who hasn't played competitive baseball since high school is remarkable.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Lol, Tebow's upside is not Willie Bloomquist. He can barely keep up with kids almost a decade younger than him in A ball. He's going to get slaughtered in AA.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

patonthebach posted:

I'd say his upside (and this is like a 1 in 100 chance) is to be able to play like a Travis Snider or Eric Hinske. Passable in LF but not league average defense, and maybe 20hr pop with lots of K's. But it won't happen.

But still, good for him for hitting as well as he is so far. To get those numbers as someone who hasn't played competitive baseball since high school is remarkable.

His upside is nothing. He's going to be 30 and he's hitting .250 against 20 year olds drafted out of high school.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I don't think embarrassment is going to stop him from making tons of money. His NFL career was horrible and he is still extremely relevant in the sports world, getting an article a day written about him and talked about everywhere. It sucks.

What's his contract with the Mets? I thought minor leaguers made jack poo poo?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Mike_V posted:

He's already worth millions of dollars I don't think it matters what he is being paid. He also got a signing bonus of 100k. Probably four times what those 20 year olds are making in one year.

NetflixAndRichHill
May 11, 2017

Mike_V posted:

The contract came with a $100K signing bonus, which is way more than most draftees get.

edit: Thom beat me to it

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Lol, Tebow's upside is not Willie Bloomquist. He can barely keep up with kids almost a decade younger than him in A ball. He's going to get slaughtered in AA.

Well, no, of course not. He'll never sniff the majors unless the Mets go full idiot, and by all rights should never have been signed.

I was just trying to come up with what Poque was describing. Willie Boom Boom is my permanent vision of utility guy that plays a load of positions, but none of them all that well, yet stuck around a lot longer than anyone would have guessed.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Tony Phillips posted:

Well, no, of course not. He'll never sniff the majors unless the Mets go full idiot, and by all rights should never have been signed.

I was just trying to come up with what Poque was describing. Willie Boom Boom is my permanent vision of utility guy that plays a load of positions, but none of them all that well, yet stuck around a lot longer than anyone would have guessed.

Did I just get confused with Poque? If only...

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

He's already worth millions of dollars I don't think it matters what he is being paid. He also got a signing bonus of 100k. Probably four times what those 20 year olds are making in one year.
lol more like 8 times

Popete posted:

to be fair, you're both Cubs posters with very similar names and Baez avatars, I still only barely know the difference

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

do you think teebs foots the bill for the sodas and dogs when the boys go out after the game?

NetflixAndRichHill
May 11, 2017
I do love Bloomquist's 2008 stat line:

.279/.377/.285, 46 hits and 1 extra base hit (a ground rule double) in 192 PA

NetflixAndRichHill fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 12, 2017

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bawfuls posted:

to be fair, you're both Cubs posters with very similar names and Baez avatars, I still only barely know the difference

I'll admit it, I used to confuse them too.

Aye Doc posted:

do you think teebs foots the bill for the sodas and dogs when the boys go out after the game?

Of course not. You just know that dim bastard's a believer in prosperity theology and/or bootstrapping.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Tim Tebow will never play in a major league baseball game

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Popete posted:

Lol. Yes you sure did.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Tony Phillips posted:

I will put :10bux: on this

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

cis autodrag posted:

Tebow made almost $10 million, if he can't retire on that I have no sympathy

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Watch the Mets turn him into a pitcher.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Sydin posted:

Watch the Mets turn him into a pitcher.

Not seeing the downside to Tim Tebow, knuckleballer. I mean, you saw him throw footballs, right?

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

The Pussy Boss posted:

Tim Tebow will never play in a major league baseball game

The Mets posted:

Hold my beer.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kensei posted:

Not seeing the downside to Tim Tebow, knuckleballer. I mean, you saw him throw footballs, right?

Knuckler with an eephus as his second pitch seems weird though.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Grittybeard posted:

Now I NEED this

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The one good thing about this Braves season is at least I won't have to deal with Jeff Franc--
https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/863097410289098756

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

Tebow made almost $10 million, if he can't retire on that I have no sympathy

He can probably make near that amount annually doing speaking engagements in the Bible Belt and slapping his name on ghost-written books about his life struggle as a white Christian millionaire. He is not doing baseball for the money, at least not directly.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Paul Zuvella posted:

Homeless people who yell things are fun unless it's the homeless lady in boston who walks while staring into a mirror and either:

a) Screams a horrible, ear shattering scream

b) Yells racial slurs at people

Or Homeless people that lay spike traps and get in fights with people trying to use the bike paths. Insane how bad the stretch along Angels Stadium has gotten in the last 6 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yRZbbJ9kyg&t=160s

How many AAAA, AAA, AA and Cash Considerations players do the Mets need to injure before we get Tebow in the majors? Are we on pace for a September callup?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

kensei posted:

WHAT IN THE HELL SINCE WHEN HAS BO BEEN WINKING?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Good Dog posted:

How many AAAA, AAA, AA and Cash Considerations players do the Mets need to injure before we get Tebow in the majors? Are we on pace for a September callup?

I mean if the Mets are out of contention by September they might as will give him a cup of coffee, if only because it'll sell tickets for a week or two.

Grittybeard posted:

Cy Young 2018 calling it here.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

elentar posted:

The one good thing about this Braves season is at least I won't have to deal with Jeff Franc--
https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/863097410289098756

This actually seems like a...good thing for Frenchy to do? Or maybe an ok thing?

He might be too nice to be a good analyst, but the main problem with him was always he was bad at baseball. From what I can tell he's pretty good at being a human being.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

On this day in history,

1910 - Future HOF Chief Bender of the Philadelphia Athletics pitches a 4 - 0 no-hitter against the Cleveland Naps. Bender, who misses a perfect game by issuing a walk, will compile a 23-5 record during the season. He entered the HOF with a 212-127 record, for a .625 winning percentage and a 2.46 ERA.

1955 - Toothpick Sam Jones of your Chicago Cubs becomes the first black pitcher to throw a no-hitter. Unfortunately only 2,918 fans are on hand to witness it.

1958 - Willie Mays hits the first grand slam in the history of the San Francisco Giants.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
ok fine tebow will always be bad. i just think the best and most ironic thing would be for him to make the majors but only just and simply bounce from team to team being unnotable, no-one even remembering that he'd played for them a season or two later. like a jeff bianchi or something. monkey's paw that poo poo and give him what he wants (a major league job) without any of the notability he wants to go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The problem with Tebow is if you cut him because he's trash, him and his fanbase will claim because he's too religious.

• Locked thread