Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

what happens if you press the dedicated back button in an application and there isn't a previously viewed content panel?

Home screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Blue Train posted:

Home screen

what if you had come directly from another app though? does the "back" button take you to the home screen or to the previous app?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

what happens if you press the dedicated back button in an application and there isn't a previously viewed content panel?

a black hole opens

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Last Chance posted:

what if you had come directly from another app though? does the "back" button take you to the home screen or to the previous app?

I'm hosed up and don't understand but if you are on the home screen the back button doesn't do anything

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Blue Train posted:

I'm hosed up and don't understand but if you are on the home screen the back button doesn't do anything
say you're reading the news then.. all of a sudden boom:

you get a notification and you switch to another popular app, immediately see a snap with a titty. you nod. then you press the back button.

does it take you to

a. home screen
b. the news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug2hLQv6WeY

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Blue Train posted:

Home screen

so the back button occasionally changes function into an exit button? is there any way to tell when that happens other than memorizing the sequence of content panels that you've viewed in every active app?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

so the back button occasionally changes function into an exit button? is there any way to tell when that happens other than memorizing the sequence of content panels that you've viewed in every active app?

It goes back? If you are at the initial screen of an app it goes to the home screen. If you are within an app it goes back within the app. As a yosposter I have never seen a naked woman so I can not comment on the Snapchat scenario

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

duTrieux. posted:

no, you get the surprise and delight when you press it and, as previously discussed, your app terminates (unlike the home button which only backgrounds it)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Blue Train posted:

so why is it there?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

carry on then posted:

so why is it there?

Continuity

Plus it allows you to back out of menus in the home screen or inputs etc

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

The Management posted:

no, you get the surprise and delight when you press it and, as previously discussed, your app terminates (unlike the home button which only backgrounds it)

On my Android phone, pressing the back button in this situation backgrounds the app, same as if I were to press the home button.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

silence_kit posted:

On my Android phone, pressing the back button in this situation backgrounds the app, same as if I were to press the home button.

There are some apps that exit of you press back from the main screen but it will usually pop up a toast saying tap back again to exit

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

blue train you can keep trying but i really dont think theyll ever grasp that back takes you to literally the thing that was there prior to the thing on there now

its just too complicated no one could ever figure it out

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
ok so I put down my phone for a minute and forget the exact context of the app I'm in when I pick it back up. what does that permanent, contextless back button take me back to?

or, if I'm reading Twitter and tap on a video and it opens in the YouTube app, does tapping the back button take me back to Twitter, to the home screen, or something else (like back to the main screen in the YouTube app)?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Doc Block posted:

ok so I put down my phone for a minute and forget the exact context of the app I'm in when I pick it back up. what does that permanent, contextless back button take me back to?

or, if I'm reading Twitter and tap on a video and it opens in the YouTube app, does tapping the back button take me back to Twitter, to the home screen, or something else (like back to the main screen in the YouTube app)?

that's app and condition specific, but mostly "back to the the precious screen"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

LastInLine posted:

blue train you can keep trying but i really dont think theyll ever grasp that back takes you to literally the thing that was there prior to the thing on there now

except for when you're at the bottom of the stack and it takes you out of the application

or when you're in a menu on the home screen (?) and want to close the menu

other than those two functions which aren't "back", back does exactly what it says!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

what other exciting things will the back button do other than going back? stay tuned!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

LastInLine posted:

its just too complicated no one could ever figure it out

the point is it absolutely does not do this in all cases

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
ios: if there is nothing to go back to, there is no back button. this includes being at an app's main screen, since only the home button takes you back to the home screen.

if you are a few screens deep in an app, the back button will provide context about what screen you'll go back to, provided the app supplies this information. the back button is always in the same place.

if you tap on a link in App A that takes you to App B (or you tap a notification that pops up and it brings you to App B), the OS places a back button at the top of the screen in App B (in a different place than normal back buttons to prevent confusion) that takes you back to App A, and the button will be labeled "Back to App A".

iOS back buttons say what they're taking you back to, don't do anything unexpected, and disappear when not needed.

in Android the always-present back button does multiple things, and doesn't say which of them it's going to do.

and that's on top of all the other garbage in anroid

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
anroid: so bad even the back buttons will make you carepost

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

cinci zoo sniper posted:

"back to the the precious screen"

the "now turning off" screen

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The back button always takes you back, not necessarily to the previous screen. If they keyboard pops up in a text box, back collapses it, leaving the cursor in the text box. If you bring down a list, back closes it. It brings you back and where back is is dependent on what you were doing. It is, however, always back

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Blue Train posted:

The back button always takes you back…

Blue Train posted:

If they keyboard pops up in a text box, back collapses it, leaving the cursor in the text box.

⋮

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

⋮

It bring you from the keyboard element back to the box element

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Blue Train posted:

It bring you from the keyboard element back to the box element

why does it leave focus in the entry box without the keyboard present?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Blue Train posted:

The back button always takes you back, not necessarily to the previous screen. If they keyboard pops up in a text box, back collapses it, leaving the cursor in the text box. If you bring down a list, back closes it. It brings you back and where back is is dependent on what you were doing. It is, however, always back

i wanted to say previous state, but that'd been android of ux explanations

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

That's the last element they were in so it brings focus back to it

Maybe you want to long press to paste. There are valid reason to focus a text box and not have the kb up

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

duTrieux. posted:

for operations involving text selection so you dont have a third of screen or more taken up with something irrelevant, like copying part what you just typed for instance

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

so what you're describing is:

- tap an entry box to provide focus and call up the keyboard.
- tap back to dismiss the keyboard, but maintain focus to perform other operations.

in which case the button is explicitly not going back because it's introducing a new state. or is the justification that it's only going sort of back?

unless in android you have to tap an input field and then tap again to call up the keyboard, but then why would you need to use back to dismiss the keyboard without going back to—

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

duTrieux. posted:

so what you're describing is:

- tap an entry box to provide focus and call up the keyboard.
- tap back to dismiss the keyboard, but maintain focus to perform other operations.

in which case the button is explicitly not going back because it's introducing a new state. or is the justification that it's only going sort of back?

unless in android you have to tap an input field and then tap again to call up the keyboard, but then why would you need to use back to dismiss the keyboard without going back to—

tapping input fields for keyboard is app-specific

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

tapping input fields for keyboard is app-specific

huh.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

if you're curious for examples, awful.apk will autostart the keyboard on post/reply, whereas google translate will wait for user to tap the text entry field

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

androids back button has always been temperamental and the fact that some apps still use 'press back twice to exit to home' is stupid as gently caress

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

back dismissing the keyboard is visually indicated on the button itself specifically because it exceptional

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

do android buttons ever change appearance based on context? like if the back button was about to close the keyboard, could it show that visually smoehow?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last Chance posted:

do android buttons ever change appearance based on context? like if the back button was about to close the keyboard, could it show that visually smoehow?

did you not read the post before yours?

at least google did away with the menu button. what a stupid idea that was

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
android is bad, hth

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Last Chance posted:

when i tapped on your post, the back button turned into pacman and the other 2 buttons turned into ghosts. i have never been brave enough to wait and see what happens when the ghosts catch him

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

did you not read the post before yours?

at least google did away with the menu button. what a stupid idea that was

no i didnt lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

treble, lomarftals

pretty good idea to be hoenst