Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Yodzilla posted:

I think you forgot to include a video but I've seen third person games where the bullets come from the camera and not the player. You can imaging the problems that causes!

Yeah agreed. The lack of awareness due to not actually being in a place is an interesting problem to solve.

To be fair, people aiming wrong with sights is not exactly uncommon.
Perhaps when they add mantling they will also add rifle resting? As in rest your weapon in the window sill or furniture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

eSporks posted:

I was bitching about this the other day. I get its realistic, but games don't need to be realistic to be fun. In real life you have a decent sense of your surroundings and know when your gun is pointed at a wall. Game spaces always lack all of that body awareness sense. Hipfire I can kinda understand, but ADS is dumb. Just put the camera in the mouth and call it a day.

This entire game is about risk management and working around limitations and obstacles. Rifles firing from below your optic is one such limitation. Work around it.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I've found myself doing much better by just going for kills. I took second in a solo match by being aggressive. (Last guy was invisible I swear to god)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

This entire game is about risk management and working around limitations and obstacles. Rifles firing from below your optic is one such limitation. Work around it.

If you're up against a wall and your sight is above the lip but your barrel is clipping into it they should do the "too close pull up" animation and not let you just dump bullets into the middle of a barricade. No part of that is "realistic."

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://streamable.com/nzwc5
We sniped some people (find Waldo who downed our guy in the next clip and win a prize)

if u aim using the top of the arrow on the 4x then you'll hit people at close range

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

If it really does trap them, I'm such a sadist, I would have shot the tyres out and left on foot. After telling them my plans over local VoIP.

I had a very gentleman-like conversation with a guy I had downed just before I executed him with a shotgun from a foot away. Most civilised.

They can shoot out the door and get in the car.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I've been consistently able to finish top 10 in singles and I think that headphones are the most important source of information in the game. Even if you just have iPod earbuds they're better than speakers, hearing direction and proximity is more important than sight for 90% of close-quarter combat. In groups my teammates without headphones tend to get killed a lot easier because they just hear footsteps/gunshots and not where it's coming from.

Also hold on to some smokes if you can. They'll get you across that open field to the end circle that decided to spawn as far away as possible.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Eyes are important too. Gotta have buddies to offset your weaknesses.

Me and my duo buddy are in a see no evil, hear no evil situation. Because I'm mostly deaf and he's kinda blind.

I sometimes have trouble telling sound direction and he sometimes has trouble seeing enemies at a distance. Together we're mostly competent.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Playing with my friends as a four man squad last night we decided to detour through the tunnels to minimize our exposure to sniper fire and hopefully pick up some gear. As we're sitting near our eventual exit making a strategy for the next phase my friend pipes up:

Friend : Guys- I hear a car....
Me : Alright they're above us so we'll just be careful once we leave the tunnel
Friend : It's getting closer
Friend 2 : Yeah that doesn't sound right- shouldn't we not even be able to hear them?
Me : I mean it's a new game I really doubt they've optimized the sound system that much
Friend : It's getting closer

At this point it was close enough that I could hear the constant screeching of metal against concrete. We all turn and aim our guns at the entrance of the room just in time for a car to come flying up the steps. We light the car up and all the players were trapped since the tunnel width was just barely wide enough for the car itself- none of them managed to escape.

Looting their corpses we found that one of them was carrying 6 red-dot scopes (?????)

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I had one of my most entertaining rounds ever last night:

• A squadmate and I land on the roof of apartments next to the school with one other player. Said squadmate fucks up his flying headpunch so gloriously he falls off the roof and loses half his health. Seriously one of the funniest things I've ever witnessed in any multiplayer game.
  • I flex my sweet boxing skills and take out the opponent with some flying headpunches as they try to load a revolver (I'd have been hosed it if was any other gun tbh).
  • I loot some decent gear then go AFK in the top floor apartment to get some toast, because gently caress the police I'm hungry. I return to my rocket-punching rooftop buddy dead in the building across from me, and footsteps on the floor below me. My surviving friend enters my building as backup, so they're on the middle floor while he's on the bottom and I'm on top.
  • We execute a sweet diversion/pincer tactic where he drops a frag to make some noise, I dart down while they're looking down the stairs, drop one of them, and while the other's looking up the stairs for me my friend comes up and shreds him with a Vector.
  • I loot a 4x scope and make a couple of tasty distance kills before tragically succumbing to a 1v1 that I probably should have won.

Watching the guys I killed at range try to escape my fire was tragic. This game really needs directional damage indicators.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Sounds like that guy knew how to party.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Enallyniv posted:

Watching the guys I killed at range try to escape my fire was tragic. This game really needs directional damage indicators.

I agree but i also dont agree

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Enallyniv posted:

Uhhh, gently caress no?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, definitely no to the damage indicators. Sound works well enough.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Jumping out right at the start to wail on fools in the early game with shotguns is so much more satisfying than trying to avoid everyone until geared up and then hiding in a bush. Punching people to death as they try to fumble around to load their poo poo tier guns owns too, most people panic and spas out in early game fights.

Plus you let the other do all the looting for you while you silently stalk around shotgunning people looking straight down focused on loot. Playing the game for maximum kills is like a whole new game mode, definitely recommended.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Enallyniv posted:

I've found a clever way to gently caress with people when they don't know where you're shooting them from. Sometimes they'll be running around a rock or something to find out where the 'safe' spot is. Eventually they'll guess correctly but if you take another shot or two directly above their cover or right at it sometimes it'll spook them into rotating again- providing you another shot.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
https://clips.twitch.tv/EvilNastyChamoisSoBayed

Don't hesitate, don't gloat.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Gunder posted:

Yeah, definitely no to the damage indicators. Sound works well enough.

I should be able to look down at my body to see where the bullet hit me and gauge the direction from that

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Uhhh, gently caress no?

Why wouldn't you be able to tell which direction a bullet hit you from

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I'm at one time opposed to indicators but also for them considering how OP suppressors can be.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Enallyniv posted:

Sometimes people get shot and don't even realize it for a while because of shock!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

lol "i can just look down and find the bullet hole nbd!!"

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Fried Watermelon posted:

I should be able to look down at my body to see where the bullet hit me and gauge the direction from that

:ssh: you can

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
if i get shot while im crouch walking with a pan in my hand is that something people other than me can hear

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Enallyniv posted:

The directional damage indicator is sound and it works really well. If someone just fires once you can still get a pretty specific idea of where they fired from, and it only takes 1-2 more after that to know exactly. Not to mention if you see their muzzle flash. This game would blow if there was a big flashing red HE SHOT YOU FROM OVER HERE indicator

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is the gear you get from the crates going to be reset when the game is officially released?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Is the gear you get from the crates going to be reset when the game is officially released?

Given that it's marketplace stuff, probably not. It's also entirely cosmetic so it'd be to no-ones benefit.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Sounds like Jerry Seinfeld playing PUBG.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Orv posted:

Given that it's marketplace stuff, probably not. It's also entirely cosmetic so it'd be to no-ones benefit.

i was hoping it was so the people who payed crazy amounts of money for the player unknown's boxes felt like huge idiots.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Speaking of headphones and directional sound, do the 7.1 headphones actually work and make it easier to track direction?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Canuckistan posted:

Speaking of headphones and directional sound, do the 7.1 headphones actually work and make it easier to track direction?

There's nothing even approaching consensus on this. Personally speaking, holy gently caress yes they do.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Canuckistan posted:

7.1, 5.1, etc on headphones is meaningless. 7.1 means 7 speaker channels, 1 subwoofer, on surround sound systems this matters, on headphones it's a marketing gimmick. You have 2 ears, you detect direction by the delays in sound reaching each ear, and headphones replicate this.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

a good pair of open back headphones make all the difference

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
There seem to be a lot of difference. The dude I play duo's with can't hear poo poo in his headphones (or he is just deaf). I think the sound is excellent. 1-2 shots and you can tell which way, how far, if he is in a building and weapon class he is using.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The game really needs to dial down the volume in plane and while parachuting cause both are loud as gently caress.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

There seem to be a lot of difference. The dude I play duo's with can't hear poo poo in his headphones (or he is just deaf). I think the sound is excellent. 1-2 shots and you can tell which way, how far, if he is in a building and weapon class he is using.

I agree, the sound in game is pretty decent but if you have a pair of USB headphones with drivers that crank the bass up then it might get hard to hear things.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I've got a nice pair of Sennheiser HD 555 headphones. I should just get one of those cheap clip on mics and ditch my cheapo gaming set.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

The game really needs to dial down the volume in plane and while parachuting cause both are loud as gently caress.

Yes this goddamn

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
The plane and the menu music are both grating after dialing everything up for the game itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I've never had so much fun being so bad at a video game before

• Locked thread