Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ukle posted:

NHS has extended support cover from MS to patch those. It costs them an absolute fortune as well for MS to provide the support.

Yeah that's what I'm getting at - when the NHS is still largely running an old as poo poo, abandoned OS, is there even a guarantee that everything will be patched in a timely fashion? Even if there's a special snowflake fix available for this vulnerability, there's still a huge risk that someone will find more problems and exploit them, because it's not being actively maintained anymore, and XP is full of badness at this point

Actually does anyone know the details of this support contract? Like do they still aim to patch every vulnerability at some point, or is it a triage situation for the worst issues, or do they only do the bare minimum according to the customer's needs?

https://twitter.com/EllieJPrice/status/857566729081192448

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
https://twitter.com/terragher/status/863040378995445760

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

ugh they're not even trying with that limerick it's not just a rhyme scheme people jesus christ

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Angepain posted:

ugh they're not even trying with that limerick it's not just a rhyme scheme people jesus christ

It's spoken word rap by dorks who wish they were James Bond, of course it's terrible.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/rossfairbairn/status/862736535933812736

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yo mic check, 1 2 1 2

*listens*

What the hell setting is that anyway? Looks like UKIP's vision for Britain's coastline

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 12, 2017

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
He looking at sea thinking "if we don't stop immigrants our poor living standards and no jobs will be in danger of something? Also I am an egg lol". Haha what a silly man.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's very very incompetent green screening

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I'M PAUL NUTTALLS OF THE UKIPS

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's very very incompetent green screening

Paul Nuttalls stands within the containment fence, surveying Britain's famed immigrant defences and the 'processing zone' below. Alas, it's just a beautiful dream... *wistful look*

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Er I think it's just an awful camera angle guys. Considering the next shot is him putting his hands on a wall there they probably did drive to Dover to relieve Captain Mainwaring and the other Home Guard on the look out for invading Germans.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
He's wondering if we get rid of the sea will that stop the boats? Can it be done?

Wait till he finds out global warming is making more sea!!!!!

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

namesake posted:

Er I think it's just an awful camera angle guys. Considering the next shot is him putting his hands on a wall there they probably did drive to Dover to relieve Captain Mainwaring and the other Home Guard on the look out for invading Germans.

It looks like for some reason they filmed him from a long distance away using a zoom lens, which compressed the background making it look like he was hardly moving.

I mean obviously if I was filming Paul Nuttall I'd prefer to do it through a long lens, but still.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Maybe his weird head made space time compress. Maybe that's something he can do. He's never thought much of it because it seems like science which is left wing.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/scottishlabour/status/862333226072911872

I'm not sure why Scottish Labour think it's worth attacking the Scottish Greens for not wasting limited resources running lots of candidates in a FPTP election they cannot win. It's almost as if Scottish Labour are idiots absolutely clueless as to how to restore their fortunes, despite having a decade to think on it.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

I'm not sure why Scottish Labour think it's worth attacking the Scottish Greens for not wasting limited resources running lots of candidates in a FPTP election they cannot win. It's almost as if Scottish Labour are idiots absolutely clueless as to how to restore their fortunes, despite having a decade to think on it.

They're also persisting with the plan of putting up basic rate income tax by a penny, completely disregarding the manifesto commitment to only raise taxes on the rich.

Dugdale is crap and clearly doesn't want to win under Corbyn.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

forkboy84 posted:

that looks like a pitch for people who'd consider themselves green voters to vote labour rather than stay at home (or go mad and vote lib dem / snp).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Only ever pick fights with people who are doing worse than you, that doesn't leave scotlab many options :v:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Corbyn really should release a statement firmly blaming this cyber attack on NHS under-investment, and emphasising how much it will cost to fix compared with how much it would have cost to prevent.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

jabby posted:

Corbyn really should release a statement firmly blaming this cyber attack on NHS under-investment, and emphasising how much it will cost to fix compared with how much it would have cost to prevent.

Yes, this should have happened hours ago.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cerv posted:

that looks like a pitch for people who'd consider themselves green voters to vote labour rather than stay at home (or go mad and vote lib dem / snp).

The problem is, as someone voted Green on the regional ballot last year (helping John Finnie return to Holyrood which was good), actually taking a shot at the Scottish Green Party in the attempt to win over their voters is a really stupid way to go about it. And that's what this is. It's dumb, it's tone deaf and ultimately counter-productive.

The "For a greener, fairer Britain" part is fine. It's good, positive, but the truth is that if Scottish Labour want to win over Green voters they need to stop running away from Corbyn & more importantly, from his (& Labour's) platform this June. Never mind that his policies are popular with a whole lot of people, they will be even more popular with Green voters. But instead it's just this. Because ScotLab have no ideas. Which is depressing. Scotland needs a strong Labour Party so we can avoid SNP not being held to account from the left, but apparently they just want a slow, steady slide into extinction.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

jabby posted:

While it's almost inevitable that the trigger point for this will be human error as people click on that email without really looking at it NHS security vulnerability is increased by the marketisation of healthcare and cost cutting. NHSMail is bloody solid all things considered but the millions of different patient record systems across the providers and the creation of private groups which basically suck at following the goddamn agreements that are in place everywhere else mean there's no standard line of defense or proper health network or anything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jabby posted:

I mean, if the NHS has a good backup system then it might be as simple as just rolling it back to an uninfected backup. Ransomware attacks are quite common in businesses and backups are, I think, the preferred solution as you can't guarantee nobody will introduce one.

Though obviously that carries the risk of data loss, depending on how long it's been sitting there.

Also if GCHQ wanted to justify their budget they could find who the money is supposed to go to and drone strike them :v:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 12, 2017

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

The problem is, as someone voted Green on the regional ballot last year (helping John Finnie return to Holyrood which was good), actually taking a shot at the Scottish Green Party in the attempt to win over their voters is a really stupid way to go about it. And that's what this is. It's dumb, it's tone deaf and ultimately counter-productive.

The "For a greener, fairer Britain" part is fine. It's good, positive, but the truth is that if Scottish Labour want to win over Green voters they need to stop running away from Corbyn & more importantly, from his (& Labour's) platform this June. Never mind that his policies are popular with a whole lot of people, they will be even more popular with Green voters. But instead it's just this. Because ScotLab have no ideas. Which is depressing. Scotland needs a strong Labour Party so we can avoid SNP not being held to account from the left, but apparently they just want a slow, steady slide into extinction.

it's the standard Scottish labour strategy of

1) Insult others
2) i dunno, maybe offer something of our own, maybe if there's time (don't work too hard on this one)
3) see 1)

which has been proven to work 100% fantastic for years.

oh hey it's also the strategy of the labour anti-corbyn crowd, guess these guys are sharing notes

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, if the NHS has a good backup system then it might be as simple as just rolling it back to an uninfected backup.

Though obviously that carries the risk of data loss.

NHS back up power generation is very good but I have no idea about data back up, I imagine at least one trust is going to be massively in the poo poo over this but since lots of places have been operating on paper hopefully most of the loss would just be the morning activity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

NHS back up power generation is very good but I have no idea about data back up, I imagine at least one trust is going to be massively in the poo poo over this but since lots of places have been operating on paper hopefully most of the loss would just be the morning activity.

Yeah it depends how long the virus has been propogating and how frequent their backups are.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

somewhere a team of programmers sits in an office knowing if they don't keep writing patches for this 15-year-old Microsoft software, people will die. their life is endless suffering
That's p. much what industrial control systems teams do all the time. Of course, there is a difference between embedded systems which were designed for Windows CE and nothing else and desktop computers which should not be running XP at all unless airgapped.

What happened to daveycam's big push to introduce open source in the public sector? That sounds like something Corbyn would support and should press further, being a communist and a beard man. :rms2:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I see the sequel to Your Name is going in some strange directions

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, if the NHS has a good backup system then it might be as simple as just rolling it back to an uninfected backup. Ransomware attacks are quite common in businesses and backups are, I think, the preferred solution as you can't guarantee nobody will introduce one.

Though obviously that carries the risk of data loss, depending on how long it's been sitting there.

Also if GCHQ wanted to justify their budget they could find who the money is supposed to go to and drone strike them :v:

Any data loss in the NHS is a huge deal, since at worst it can mean harm to patients as tests need to be repeated with all the risk of injury/side effects that involves. You don't want to be the guy who needs a repeat lumbar puncture because we lost the result of the first one.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

OwlFancier posted:

if you're looking for who's responsible, the exploit is based on a leaked NSA toolkit. who wants to be a fly on the wall at the next meeting when that is brought up?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Cerv posted:

if you're looking for who's responsible, the exploit is based on a leaked NSA toolkit. who wants to be a fly on the wall at the next meeting when that is brought up?

Surprise twist, it was a tool developed by GCHQ to start with....

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

Surprise twist, it was a tool developed by GCHQ to start with....
Which is a big reason why I'm against the state developing these kind of tools to start with.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Guavanaut posted:

Which is a big reason why I'm against the state developing these kind of tools to start with.

It an exploit for which a fix was already released - the issue is not that the government found and used it but that the NHS IT was not able to keep their machines up to date.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So which dr was looking at dodgy websites?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

When Stuxnet was a thing it made its way onto secure systems by a flash drive, since the first thing a lot of people will do when they find a USB stick is to plug it into the nearest computer to see what's on it.

It's always amazing how far people will go to circumvent their protection systems on IT equipment.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

NHS IT also has the fun of "Well we could patch it, but the clinical device the PC is connected to won't run if we do..." Unfunder funding sucks.

Monday is gonna be fun on the office.

But hey, our somewhat decent patient system runs on a Linux backend. Step one in the Linux set up guides held on th supplier's wiki? Disable SELinux.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The co-operative party is trying their luck again on my Facebook ads. Same as when the party nearly split after Brexit.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

serious gaylord posted:

So which dr was looking at dodgy websites?

all of them, simultaneously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm fully expecting to go into work on Monday and not be able to access my resources or use my laptop to check/take notes, which will make for an... interesting day.
Thing is, my NHS employer got hit by a similar issue earlier in the year, which took days to resolve in full and then this happens.
Doesn't inspire confidence.

• Locked thread