Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

You're even dumber than CIG for saying that.

Ok, I'm sorry, that's really mean. You're almost as dumb as CIG for saying that.

So you're saying I should make a Kickstarter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

trucutru posted:

So you're saying I should make a Kickstarter?

You're probably a bit overqualified, but yes, absolutely!

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I still lol whenever I remember CIG is banned from Kickstarter.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

notoriousman posted:

He already said he wouldn't take it to remain "impartial".

Besides, Derek Smart already has an account here...

LOL!! I'm totally :owned:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SirPenguin posted:

The Rings of Olistar will be the name of the tell-all book from this disaster of a game. how many god damned bugs have been related to those things?

more importantly, how is this stupid thing not just a static prop with collision. how do these bugs keep happening. how are they even possible?!

They have already more or less explained it. The ships, stations, etc are made with different components that are attached to each other and inherit some of the properties of the things that they attach to. In this way the wings that are attached to your ship fly alongside it.

Because the engine is so loving janky sometimes stuff like the rings gets attached to poo poo they shouldn't and inherit some other movement vector.

The funniest thing is that their netcode is so bad that, apparently, it transmits the data for each component attached to a ship as it moves. So instead of "ship A is moving like this" they transmit "ship core A moves like this, gun A1 moves like this, left wing A moves like this, etc).

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

They have already more or less explained it. The ships, stations, etc are made with different components that are attached to each other and inherit some of the properties of the things that they attach to. In this way the wings that are attached to your ship fly alongside it.

Because the engine is so loving janky sometimes stuff like the rings gets attached to poo poo they shouldn't and inherit some other movement vector.

The funniest thing is that their netcode is so bad that, apparently, it transmits the data for each component attached to a ship as it moves. So instead of "ship A is moving like this" they transmit "ship core A moves like this, gun A1 moves like this, left wing A moves like this, etc).

The best part of it all is that it's all designed for an arena shooter type environment.

Nothing is built with an MMO in mind. They haven't even started development on Star Citizen the MMO.

What they do have may be good for something like Sq42 with the promised drop-in-drop-out coop style gameplay with small numbers of players interacting for a mission.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

The best part of it all is that it's all designed for an arena shooter type environment.

Nothing is built with an MMO in mind. They haven't even started development on Star Citizen the MMO.

What they do have may be good for something like Sq42 with the promised drop-in-drop-out coop style gameplay with small numbers of players interacting for a mission.

Hey! They have already started to develop network 2.0. For instance, they decided to call it network 2.0. But they need to get Items 2.0 to work before that.

The project is such a loving mess.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6aek0o/video_game_raised_148_million_from_fans_now_its/dhh3f52/?context=3

:reddit:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Virtual Captain posted:

Trick question Chris wasn't after gameplay. (see fidelity)

This is pretty much why the entire project was doomed from the jump.

Chris is one of those guys who's sitting in the spot on the autism spectrum where he believes "Hollywood" is a good and cool thing, and that all movies that are good movies come from there, and all things in real life that are cool happen just like in Cool Hollywood Movies.

In his mind, the most fun anyone can have is feeling like they're in a Hollywood movie, but not acting - literally living the character's life. But not the boring scenes you don't see on screen - just the cool stuff.

Except a few things:

- His game only has the boring stuff, and none of the cool
- Nobody plays a game to pretend they're in a loving movie
- Nobody who's sitting down to play a game gives a poo poo about movies
- Literally nobody gives a poo poo about Hollywood, even movie fans

His mind is forever stuck at how kids feel at 12 years of age when they watch their first grown-up action flick and those first hints of testosterone take their positions to get ready for the surge. Which would work out fine here if 12-year olds had $25,000 of disposable income. Even if they did, it would still fail because today's 12-year olds are savvy enough to know this is a scam. It's the defective man-children - The Children of Roberts - who are funding his pretend game developer career, and goddamn if he doesn't know what they want.

It takes a sea of idiots to believe the vision of a "man" like Chris Roberts.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

trucutru posted:

Pointers are hard.
for(b = s; '\0' != *b; b++); for(t = b; h < t--; h++) { *b = *t; *t = *h; *h = *b; } *b = '\0';

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

trucutru posted:

Yet, in spite of this, each ship explodes in exactly the same way, and in exactly the same place, each time. It's almost as if they built a bunch of parts to make it dynamic, then didn't know how to make it work, so they tried to make it work the way every other developer makes it work, except they changed so much it won't work that way any more either. But it's all fine, because 3.0.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

Hollywood

Children of Roberts

Somebody contact Cuarón.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

notoriousman posted:

He already said he wouldn't take it to remain "impartial".

Besides, Derek Smart already has an account here...

He's confused, impartial means you are never critical of Star Citizen, so he should just give it up and come on over.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Don't know about you guys but I just parked my truck by jumping over another car and skidding backwards into the spot. I dove out through the door I kicked open as it was sliding backwards and rolled before jumping up to smile at a camera with a coy one liner. After adjusting my huge balls I walked into the gas station but I have a feeling even as I post this it's going to explode.

Literally because I live a life of Hollywood action on a normal and regular basis and this is just my everyday commute.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I still lol whenever I remember CIG is banned from Kickstarter.

Wait, since when is CIG banned from KS? How could I have possibly missed that?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Beet Wagon posted:

Wait, since when is CIG banned from KS? How could I have possibly missed that?

If you have a funded kickstarter you are banned from ever making a new one until you deliver on the old one. So their biggest success story is the biggest wet fart.

Kickstarter was half a decade ago holy poo poo.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The Titanic posted:

Don't know about you guys but I just parked my truck by jumping over another car and skidding backwards into the spot. I dove out through the door I kicked open as it was sliding backwards and rolled before jumping up to smile at a camera with a coy one liner. After adjusting my huge balls I walked into the gas station but I have a feeling even as I post this it's going to explode.

Literally because I live a life of Hollywood action on a normal and regular basis and this is just my everyday commute.

:same:

"That about sums it up" said Scruffpuff, donning sunglasses while walking away from an explosion in slow motion. "Seems Roberts thinks the coolest thing a game can be," he continued, as turned to his left and peered over the top of his sunglasses at a 20-something young blonde in a short skirt, walking past a sprinkler while popping the top off a Coke and smiling into the camera, and gently caress it, everything is in slow motion here too, "is to be like a movie."

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

TrustmeImLegit posted:

If you have a funded kickstarter you are banned from ever making a new one until you deliver on the old one. So their biggest success story is the biggest wet fart.

Kickstarter was half a decade ago holy poo poo.

Wait no, that can't be a thing. There is at least one project I know of that the creators ran a second KS campaign (after the first was successfully funded) to get more funds, for the same project. (Yeah sadly that's definitely a bad sign, even though I'd really like that other project to eventually end up being.... at least ok at this point).

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Scruffpuff posted:

This is pretty much why the entire project was doomed from the jump.

Chris is one of those guys who's sitting in the spot on the autism spectrum where he believes "Hollywood" is a good and cool thing, and that all movies that are good movies come from there, and all things in real life that are cool happen just like in Cool Hollywood Movies.

In his mind, the most fun anyone can have is feeling like they're in a Hollywood movie, but not acting - literally living the character's life. But not the boring scenes you don't see on screen - just the cool stuff.

Except a few things:

- His game only has the boring stuff, and none of the cool
- Nobody plays a game to pretend they're in a loving movie
- Nobody who's sitting down to play a game gives a poo poo about movies
- Literally nobody gives a poo poo about Hollywood, even movie fans

His mind is forever stuck at how kids feel at 12 years of age when they watch their first grown-up action flick and those first hints of testosterone take their positions to get ready for the surge. Which would work out fine here if 12-year olds had $25,000 of disposable income. Even if they did, it would still fail because today's 12-year olds are savvy enough to know this is a scam. It's the defective man-children - The Children of Roberts - who are funding his pretend game developer career, and goddamn if he doesn't know what they want.

It takes a sea of idiots to believe the vision of a "man" like Chris Roberts.

I think there are a lot of 'Cool in the movies but super boring in game' elements that Chris fixates on. For example every time they talk about ship maintenance Chris will evoke some kind of Chewbacca and Han situation where they make a miracle repair while the ship is under fire. That would be incredibly difficult and probably pointless to have in game, seeing as most ships are destroyed in under a minute. Maybe an argument can be made for larger ships, but sadly non of that gameplay has been explored or tested because of CIGs awful feet dragging.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/26/the-24-year-feud-that-has-dogged-star-citizen

quote:

The Star Citizen story did not begin in 2012, but in 1977. One night in Manchester, an eight-year-old boy walked into a cinema with his dad. A couple of hours later, it was a different boy who stumbled out into the street, awestruck by what he had just witnessed.

It would be incorrect to say that Star Wars changed Chris Roberts’ life. Rather, it continues to change it, in the present tense, up to this day. You’d still be hard pressed to find a project on his CV that hasn’t taken its inspiration from that magical night in Manchester. “This was the first time I was completely absorbed by a science-fiction story. It felt like a whole universe. The feeling of immersion, of a complete world... When I came home, I built spaceships out of Lego bricks,” he told me in an interview for Swedish daily newspaper Aftonbladet in 2014.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
Five years into development and now the third version of the USE button, he describes it as "Just the beginning".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADB-wpvTD0k?t=34m27s

This is after mentioning grabby hands is depreciated, and that the Hanger Item Port system is obsolete, and that they have to retroactively go back and fix every interaction that exist each time there's an update.

:thumbsup:

Game's totally coming out this year guys, just figured out how we want players to interact with items for the third time in five years.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

"I know you are, but what am I?" he said, just before recieving a wedgie and getting his lunch money stolen.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AbstractNapper posted:

Wait no, that can't be a thing. There is at least one project I know of that the creators ran a second KS campaign (after the first was successfully funded) to get more funds, for the same project. (Yeah sadly that's definitely a bad sign, even though I'd really like that other project to eventually end up being.... at least ok at this point).

I'm sorry to tell you that Doobie's actually shut his place down, to make space for a funeral home parking lot

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

redwalrus posted:

Five years into development and now the third version of the USE button, he describes it as "Just the beginning".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADB-wpvTD0k?t=34m27s

This is after mentioning grabby hands is depreciated, and that the Hanger Item Port system is obsolete, and that they have to retroactively go back and fix every interaction that exist each time there's an update.

Game's totally coming out this year guys, just figured out how we want players to interact with items for the third time in five years.

Player interaction is the second-to-last step of game development though

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The ironic thing about the Bugsmashers shitshow is they really have no idea what they are really fixing.

Every bug they fixed probably introduces ten new ones since they never found the root cause of the original one.

There was probably a reason why such and such was in the code, and the reason it was in there was to handle some odd exception use case because that was the easiest thing to do to make money.

It's a game engine. It is full of hacks. Undoing hacks will create a greater hack. Ergo, Roberts.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Player interaction is the second-to-last step of game development though

Checks out since the first step as we all know according to to the Book of MoMA 42:1-42:5

Thou shalt design the UI first
Let there be no code written until thine health meter display is most fidelitous
And say unto the network engineers, 'Nay, do not fix thine net code until we hast refactored the patcher music'
Ye shall know the coming of the game when thou female avatars walk upon the station
Praise be to Roberts, first of his name. Programmer of programmers.
So say ye prophet of the Lord,
Ben Lesnick, Developer

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

The ironic thing about the Bugsmashers shitshow is they really have no idea what they are really fixing.

Every bug they fixed probably introduces ten new ones since they never found the root cause of the original one.

There was probably a reason why such and such was in the code, and the reason it was in there was to handle some odd exception use case because that was the easiest thing to do to make money.

It's a game engine. It is full of hacks. Undoing hacks will create a greater hack. Ergo, Roberts.

developmentcycle.jpg

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

DarkRefreshment posted:

Checks out since the first step as we all know according to to the Book of MoMA 42:1-42:5

Thou shalt design the UI first
Let there be no code written until thine health meter display is most fidelitous
And say unto the network engineers, 'Nay, do not fix thine net code until we hast refactored the patcher music'
Ye shall know the coming of the game when thou female avatars walk upon the station
Praise be to Roberts, first of his name. Programmer of programmers.
So say ye prophet of the Lord,
Ben Lesnick, Developer

Praise be to the almighty asset
The importance of which there is no equal
From it gameplay grows most organic
Unfaithful and unbelievers will lament
On the day of 3.0 the refunds of the heathens
Shall burn in their pockets

- Book of Crobbers

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Sunswipe posted:

"I know you are, but what am I?" he said, just before recieving a wedgie and getting his lunch money stolen.

Stop doxxing him. MODS!??!?!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

trucutru posted:

It's worse than that actually.

They are clearly not sending positional data for everything. So if the ship model is all they are sending data for, the server doesn't give a poo poo about crap that broke and flies off because it's not going to update it. The result is that whatever happens to clientA, remains with clientB, and both clientA + clientB are only sent updates for whatever the server is programmed to.

This is why most multiplayer games don't feature destructible worlds/levels etc. When server updates (e.g. destroys) an object, and sends the message to all clients, the destruction is client-side; so all clients see a different thing which is not updated by the server.

If the server only knows how to update an object, and not parented entities, well, that's why Port Olisar is hosed - for life.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Ok so we all saw the guy picking up random objects and placing them around a confined area with a sink or something right? Then I realized. What's cooler than doing a Sims type decoration of a home? Getting a home and getting things yourself. Want a couch? You have to go to the store, have it either shipped to your ship, or to your home (more expensive) and especially for a couch, you'd need a hover dolly or whatever. It would feel soo cool to actually go buy a bunch of stuff and load it in my ship, and drive it home. Then I could unload and place things around as I see fit. Anyone have any other ideas that sparked from the ATV?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Chin posted:

Ok so we all saw the guy picking up random objects and placing them around a confined area with a sink or something right? Then I realized. What's cooler than doing a Sims type decoration of a home? Getting a home and getting things yourself. Want a couch? You have to go to the store, have it either shipped to your ship, or to your home (more expensive) and especially for a couch, you'd need a hover dolly or whatever. It would feel soo cool to actually go buy a bunch of stuff and load it in my ship, and drive it home. Then I could unload and place things around as I see fit. Anyone have any other ideas that sparked from the ATV?

Space Amazon

Also space restoration hardware , there could be a tie in with the real restoration hardware.

Maybe some flair items like the stupid airplane wing desks they have

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I like this interaction from Ghandi

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Chin posted:

Imagine you are done moving your stuff, so naturally you are chilling next to your ship, at the space docks. Suddenly a very hot lady emerges from a ship next to yours. You offer to help her unload her cargo, because you are a gentleman and hope she will have sex with you as payment. After hours of hard work in the 'verse, you are rewarded with a sore back and two weeks in the station hospital. And she didn't even give you her phone number, the fidelity!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Newsletter:

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

If only

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol if crobbers got hit with wannacry

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
New schedule:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Diff report (one month):

https://www.diffchecker.com/n6acsRz1

My sources were right about more cuts. Levski is out of Evocati & PTU as it was moved from June 1st to June 30th. wow

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/862688996035637248

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

IV.Internal schedules, the ones you will now be privy to, tend to have aggressive dates to help the team focus and scope their tasks, especially in the case of tech development. Every team, even a team blessed with the kind of support and freedom you have allowed us, needs target dates in order to focus and deliver their work.