Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

Remember to cross-reference all DA2 was good statements with E/N post histories.

But DA2 is a masterpiece unfairly maligned by haters.

Just like ME:A is the space video game to end all space video games. It would be literally impossible to ever top the artistic vision of this incredibly coherent narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Agreed. Thankfully, Mass Effect Andromeda has ensured that no one will ever get to try.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

Agreed. Thankfully, Mass Effect Andromeda has ensured that no one will ever get to try.

It's not being put down. It's just going to a better place in a lovely glue factory.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

"On permanent hiatus until further notice" is video game speak for "grandpa's still looking down on us from heaven."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
the ending of indiana jones with the infinite warehouse but the ark of the covenant box has ME:A SOURCE CODE written on it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It belongs in a museum. *somberly places $130 pyjack plushie back on the shelf*

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

ashpanash posted:

Also regarding Mac Walters being an idiot:
If biologics vs. synthetics is such a universal problem, why aren't there any synthetic intelligences in Andromeda? (The remnant are effectively VIs, not AIs)

So much could have been fixed if you actually had even the ruins of synthetic life that couldn't function without organics to either serve or wage war on to actually show A: Synthetic life was made more than maybe 3 times in the known universe and B: This scenario would actually go down like Terminator again and again and not specifically because C: Quarians are morons.

But I guess nothing really matters anymore because we'll just jettison all copies of Mass Effect into space - in a course straight for the heart of the sun.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This was knowledge man was never meant to know.

*carefully places USB stick with master copies of every bioware game into warded stone coffin alongside the necronomicon*

Seal the pyramid.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Crabtree posted:

But I guess nothing really matters anymore because we'll just jettison all copies of Mass Effect into space - in a course straight for the heart of the sun.

Godspeed.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

orcane posted:

It's odd but even though DAI doesn't have a minimap either, this never bothered me even remotely as much as in MEA. In fact I couldn't even remember it not having one until someone pointed it out. Maybe it's the different movement speed (:laffo: horses) and smaller maps, I don't know.

Also, you "DA2 was good" people have serious brain damage, go see a doctor.

You had that weird radar thing. It didn't annoy me as much because there aren't as many hills you have to navigate around although it's a pain in the arse in the Emerald Graves/Groves/whatever it is.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

The best attempt to save the franchise would be a remaster of the original series at this point

Maybe EA will sell it to NaughtyDawg
A man can dream

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ME1 shows its age in places but ME2 still looks as good as ever. It doesn't need a remaster because you can go play ME2, right now, without paying any more money.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

ME1 shows its age in places but ME2 still looks as good as ever. It doesn't need a remaster because you can go play ME2, right now, without paying any more money.

You can also use ENB and sweetFX + mods to make ME2 and 3 look even better and add some QOL things.

The more I try playing this game, the more all its problems become apparent. I love sandboxes/open-ended games but in this it's just horribly designed and has no feeling of change.

Anyway, I'll likely never finish it because it's a dumb game.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Taear posted:

I believe that the green blobs are more abstract and the memory fragments are you being reminded of something similar your dad did. Rather than him being meant to have left them. I don't know. I can see why the final reveal of the stuff wouldn't have been the same if you hadn't had a lot more experience under your belt, it does make sense story wise and character wise.
It makes no sense for them to be physical objects on planets. When you first get one SAM explains that they are "tied to your progression as pathfinder," but that means it would work just as well if they were simply plot-gated and every so often SAM called you to say another memory is unlocked

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Elotana posted:

It makes no sense for them to be physical objects on planets. When you first get one SAM explains that they are "tied to your progression as pathfinder," but that means it would work just as well if they were simply plot-gated and every so often SAM called you to say another memory is unlocked

Yeah. Like I get the fact that they want to have stuff in the open world. but man at least call them like Exploration points putting them at points where there are places with a view or something, to attempt to represent you exploring planets and poo poo.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Elotana posted:

Everything has to be a collectable nowadays, even memories.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
So the last thing to ever come out of the Mass Effect universe was a singlet. How depressing.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

exquisite tea posted:

Remember to cross-reference all DA2 was good statements with E/N post histories.

Lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Funky See Funky Do posted:

So the last thing to ever come out of the Mass Effect universe was a singlet. How depressing.

This is the way the world ends;
Not with a bang, but with a kickflip.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
EA Press Release 5/12/17 4:59pm local time: Mass Effect died on the way back to its home planet

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

EA Press Release 5/12/17 4:59pm local time: Mass Effect died on the way back to its home planet

Good!

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

exquisite tea posted:

All this talk about ME3 makes me wanna fire up ME3 again, a very flawed but ultimately ambitious masterpiece.

if you're gonna have hot takes like this pls respect the weird opinions of others too, friend

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Regarding ME3, I agree with the sentence except the masterpiece part. And maybe "ambitious" isn't the right word with regards to the ending, which was simply lazy (and very egotistical on the part of Mac Walters not to collaborate with the rest of the team, later forcing them to defend his 'artistic integrity.')

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

sure let me update the post to take out masterpiece and ambitious

exquisite tea posted:

All this talk about ME3 makes me wanna fire up ME3 again, a very flawed game

it does look more right yeah but i'd want to bold very because there's a whole lot you have to nip out before you pull a solid 7/10 from that ghost child/kai leng/crucible/organosynthetic infested mess imho but i accept that exquisite tea sees something in it i don't, aside from the multiplayer and citadel dlc

really the most damning lesson of andromeda is how it it makes everything else bioware has done look that much better

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

hard counter posted:

it does look more right yeah but i'd want to bold very because there's a whole lot you have to nip out before you pull a solid 7/10 from that ghost child/kai leng/crucible/organosynthetic infested mess imho but i accept that exquisite tea sees something in it i don't, aside from the multiplayer and citadel dlc

really the most damning lesson of andromeda is how it it makes everything else bioware has done look that much better

Sadly true. DAII starts to look good compared to Andromeda's writing. Sure, it's not as offensive as ME3's pretentious ending or magical macguffin, but it's flatly worse overall.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

exquisite tea posted:

You can't silence what you know is true in your heart.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It is super fun to travel to another galaxy and become pathfinder and be sent out to discover places where people already live

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Wait a loving minute. DAI definitely had a mini-map. The first patch even tried to fix their stupid "Witcher sense" by putting icons on the the thing.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

This video goes over the 1.06 patch changes to the opening bits and yikes, comparing the recent patch to release is very noticeable

https://youtu.be/OzVAClWI4UU

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 12, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

hard counter posted:

I think the ending of ME3 was a total thematic failure, but failures can be interesting, and in the current environment of eternal franchising I appreciate that its creators attempted to decisively close the door on the Mass Effect series. Unfortunately the corpse of the franchise had to return for one last scare, but the brave haters, trolls and SJWs of the internet joined forces to finally kill Mass Effect once and for all.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I've just started playing the game and reached a planet covered by ice, so I'm not very far into the game yet.

If there's one thing I dislike in single player games, it's the feeling that I need to grind resources to craft weapons and armor or wait for missions to complete. Back in ME2 I used a save editor to grant myself a generous amount of resources so I didn't have to scan planets (thanks gibbed!), while with DA:I I forwarded the computer clock to advance table missions.

Looking at the materials I need to craft things in ME:A, I'm getting flashbacks to ME2. Do I need to drive around seeking out mining nodes and placing probes, or does the game have an alternative way of getting resources?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

RentACop posted:

It is super fun to travel to another galaxy and become pathfinder and be sent out to discover places where people already live

And save the other Pathfinders (it is possible to never successfully do this).

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Lamquin posted:

I've just started playing the game and reached a planet covered by ice, so I'm not very far into the game yet.

If there's one thing I dislike in single player games, it's the feeling that I need to grind resources to craft weapons and armor or wait for missions to complete. Back in ME2 I used a save editor to grant myself a generous amount of resources so I didn't have to scan planets (thanks gibbed!), while with DA:I I forwarded the computer clock to advance table missions.

Looking at the materials I need to craft things in ME:A, I'm getting flashbacks to ME2. Do I need to drive around seeking out mining nodes and placing probes, or does the game have an alternative way of getting resources?

You can buy resources in shops or break down weapons/armor. Use cheat engine if you want to just forget about mining forever.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Lamquin posted:

Oh do you ever

you can buy some resources at shops but whether or not they'll be available is randomized and if they do have, say, Element Zero they'll only carry five units of it at once where you'll need 30 to craft, say, a Revenant.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

SgtSteel91 posted:

This video goes over the 1.06 patch changes to the opening bits and yikes, comparing the recent patch to release is very noticeable

https://youtu.be/OzVAClWI4UU

:lol:

'my face is tired' is still such a derpy poorly written line. How do you even write that and think "YEP, THAT'S HOW PEOPLE TALK"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pick posted:

And save the other Pathfinders (it is possible to never successfully do this).

I sure didn't!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

JawKnee posted:

'my face is tired' is still such a derpy poorly written line. How do you even write that and think "YEP, THAT'S HOW PEOPLE TALK"

imagine only ever listening to dialogue Joss Whedon has written but not having his, uh, restraint

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JawKnee posted:

What happened to.........Pathfinder?

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Funky See Funky Do posted:

You can buy resources in shops or break down weapons/armor. Use cheat engine if you want to just forget about mining forever.

Huh. I must've missed the prompt about breaking down weapons and armor for resources. Now I feel silly for selling quite a few things to vendors. :( Good to hear about buying resources from vend--

Pattonesque posted:

you can buy some resources at shops but whether or not they'll be available is randomized and if they do have, say, Element Zero they'll only carry five units of it at once where you'll need 30 to craft, say, a Revenant.

poo poo.

Thanks for the quick responses, I think I'll have a look for a cheatengine table. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzVAClWI4UU

Game bad etc etc, but this is pretty interesting to watch. They should've delayed the game by another few months.