Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

If you would have told me in 2015 that the next president of the US is going to combine the worst traits of G.W.Bush, Nixon and Reagan...
... I'd be like "Hillary isn't that bad :v:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

loquacius posted:

Here thread, a Bennett

9/10, needs the just-visible edge of a 2016 electoral map on the wall outside

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Twelve by Pies posted:

Ha ha, most people wouldn't notice this, but check out out how Adam4D had to specifically say chattel slavery. Even then, saying the Bible condemns chattel slavery is a half-truth. It condemns it...but only if the slave was Hebrew. The Law was totally cool with chattel slavery...as long as they were foreign.

Leviticus 25:44-46: "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly."

Hebrew slaves, on the other hand, could only be enslaved for six years, and were to be released on the seventh. The one exception to this is if the slave master gave the slave a wife, in which case the slave master keeps the woman and kids as his own wife and kids.

Exodus 21:1-4: "When you buy a male Hebrew slave, he shall serve six years, but in the seventh he shall go out a free person, without debt. If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master’s and he shall go out alone."

And while it was totally fine to buy and sell slaves, or will slaves to your children, it was forbidden to kidnap people to turn them into slaves.

Deuteronomy 24:7: " If someone is caught kidnapping another Israelite, enslaving or selling the Israelite, then that kidnapper shall die. So you shall purge the evil from your midst."

Also if one went to war and took a woman captive to be their slave and then didn't want her anymore, they were forbidden from selling her to another slave owner.

Deuteronomy 21:10-14: "When you go out to war against your enemies, and the Lord your God hands them over to you and you take them captive, suppose you see among the captives a beautiful woman whom you desire and want to marry, and so you bring her home to your house: she shall shave her head, pare her nails, discard her captive’s garb, and shall remain in your house a full month, mourning for her father and mother; after that you may go in to her and be her husband, and she shall be your wife. But if you are not satisfied with her, you shall let her go free and not sell her for money. You must not treat her as a slave, since you have dishonored her."

So yeah, the Bible doesn't condone chattel slavery...if the slave was Hebrew! But it absolutely condones it if the slave is foreign.

Nice observation. I remember seeing 'chattel slavery' and thinking 'that's odd'

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord Hydronium posted:

... I'd be like "Hillary isn't that bad :v:"

My grandparents, at least, are starting to go "Can he please stop provoking shitstorms in the news whenever he's not on the front page for three days in a row and get back to crushing women, unions, LGBT people, minorities, and the environment like we voted for him to do?"

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That was absolutely a fear during Desert Storm, and Saddam launched scuds at Tel Aviv with the explicit intention of provoking an Israeli response and thus peeling Arab members of the coalition off. HW Bush went well out of his way to keep Israel out of it to prevent this from occurring.

This might sound weird in hindsight, but this was actually a display of real statesmanship by Bush senior. It was the smart thing to do.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'll say this in favour of Trump, he's horrible for everyone (99%) you don't get any of the deluded middle classes under Reagan.
It will all burn.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I'll say this in favour of Trump, he's horrible for everyone (99%) you don't get any of the deluded middle classes under Reagan.
It will all burn.

You gotta hand it to him

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Squashy Nipples posted:

This might sound weird in hindsight, but this was actually a display of real statesmanship by Bush senior. It was the smart thing to do.

As was his decision to not invade Iraq, because toppling the regime would create a nightmarish quagmire. I mean, HW was garbage in many ways, but he didn't make universally bad decisions.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

And by 'hand it to him' you refer to his extravagant lifestyle which the taxpayer will pay for years to come.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

duz posted:

That's the first time I've seen anyone involved in Scooter called an "artist".

Kinda late, but that is due to poor translation. The original was "frontfigur", I guess "frontman" is the appropriate equivalent.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

As was his decision to not invade Iraq, because toppling the regime would create a nightmarish quagmire. I mean, HW was garbage in many ways, but he didn't make universally bad decisions.

In hindsight, I feel bad about hating him as much as I did. He was a MUCH better president then his son the draft-dodging chimp.

I don't regret voting him out of office for Unkie Bill, though.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I used to really like Lalo Alcaraz but he's been off his game lately.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Do you think that Trump will end up screaming "you're fired!" at every underling kinda like Hitler in the bunker?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Captain_Maclaine posted:

If the GOP can survive Trump, I feel like all the Republican presidencies in the last 50 years or so are going to be looked on much more fondly. I'd gladly take 4 more years of W instead of one more of Trump if I had the choice. Bush is a dickhead, but I don't believe he ever wanted to sell his country out.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Kopijeger posted:

Kinda late, but that is due to poor translation. The original was "frontfigur", I guess "frontman" is the appropriate equivalent.

I was making a joke about how bad Scooter is. But that translation does sound better just in case you're really dumb and confused about which person they're talking about.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

:drat:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I mean it's literally "Two things happened" but yeah

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Very Interesting, Ducky. Are there any other types of beverage that could cause health issues we should be concerned about?

If he only had a brain...

Just making sure there're no survivors.

Gamble and Varvel saw Ohman's "Gosh Hillary, are you OK?" cartoon and unironically went "Yeah, that's the ticket!"

Hillary being involved in the piss tape was an unexpected twist.

Soon Miyazaki will control all of Hollywood.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Sandpuppy posted:

If he only had a brain...

"Trump is a paper tiger that doesn't intimidate anyone". AGC.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Finally, someone is calling out Funko Pop!

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Weren't border crossings going down under Obama? Because employment in the US wasn't that great?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm the piece of paper that just says "mistakes" on it

quote:

Hillary being involved in the piss tape was an unexpected twist.

Aww yeah, there's the BENGHAZI label, been a while

hello old friend :unsmith:

quote:

I chuckled at this, that lady rules

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Starshark posted:

Weren't border crossings going down under Obama? Because employment in the US wasn't that great?

From the Mexican boarder yes, they were actually leaving the US. Now from China and India, that's a different story

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Old lady unironically owns.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Sandpuppy posted:

Wasn't Doctor Strange white in the comics?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Technowolf posted:

Wasn't Doctor Strange white in the comics?
Yeah, but the cartoon is referencing the Ancient One, who's an Asian man in the comics played by Tilda Swinton in the movie.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The ancient one, his mentor, wasn't.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

I feel like this might be missing the point.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

bunnyofdoom posted:

Finally, someone is calling out Funko Pop!

About time! Ashen's videos get sad whenever he finds one.

^^^ Mr Fish, missing the point?!

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Sandpuppy posted:

There was white washing in Starship Troopers? I never read the book.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Well, the main characters, who were from Buenos Aires and had names like Rico, Carmen Inbanez, Isabel Flores etc were portaryed by Casper Van Diem, Denise Richards and Dina Meyer

EDIT: In the book he was Fillipino too.

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 12, 2017

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I can't believe that people would be glib about current events. - TED RALL

:ironicat:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Can Ted Rall say one bad thing about Trump without turning it into a shot against Democrats/the center-left

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Johnny's full name is Juan Rico. (Thus "NUKE 'EM, RICO!")

I mean, everyone in that movie was white, we're talking Casper Van Dien, Neil Patrick Harris, Dina Meyer, and Denise Richards playing South Americans in 1997, so it's definitely whitewashed. That said, Heinlein didn't emphasize their their ethnicity in the book, they just happened to be from Argentina (well, 3/4, Dizzy was just from somewhere.) and the most explicit reference to appearance I can remember is that Carmen had thick shiny black hair.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Johnny's full name is Juan Rico. (Thus "NUKE 'EM, RICO!")

I mean, everyone in that movie was white, we're talking Casper Van Dien, Neil Patrick Harris, Dina Meyer, and Denise Richards playing South Americans in 1997, so it's definitely whitewashed. That said, Heinlein didn't emphasize their their ethnicity in the book, they just happened to be from Argentina (well, 3/4, Dizzy was just from somewhere.) and the most explicit reference to appearance I can remember is that Carmen had thick shiny black hair.

Again, pretty explicit in the book Rico is Fillipino

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Lord Hydronium posted:

Yeah, but the cartoon is referencing the Ancient One, who's an Asian man in the comics played by Tilda Swinton in the movie.

On the other hand, what do you expect when a story is adapted in another country?

Poster for a Takarazuka production based on The Three Musketeers. Not only are the characters yellowwashed, all the actors are female, thus most of them are in drag.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
To be fair, the Starship Troopers cast was intentionally chosen to resemble attractive, vapid, white caricatures that you'd find in Nazi propaganda.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Kopijeger posted:

yellowwashed

Ha ha wow man.

First of all that's a false equivalency because there are a bunch of qualified and talented actors of all backgrounds working in Hollywood, less so in Japan.

Second... yellowwashed?!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Kopijeger posted:

On the other hand, what do you expect when a story is adapted in another country?

Poster for a Takarazuka production based on The Three Musketeers. Not only are the characters yellowwashed, all the actors are female, thus most of them are in drag.

Apropos of nothing but that is a kick-rear end Louise the Sun Queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This one is alright

• Locked thread