Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ShadowCatboy posted:

Give this one a try then: Judy Is Dead, taking place 20 years after the film. Nick Wilde is now Chief of the ZPD, and a young July Hopps (knowing little to nothing about what happened to her aunt Judy) joins up as the second bunny cop in Zootopia's history.

Here's a snippet:

What colorful rainbow of a stripe does July have going through her hair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Since when can Nick afford to sleep in a bed?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Schwarzwald posted:

Since when can Nick afford to sleep in a bed?

On a police salary, no less.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Judy bequeathed it to him

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
fox + rabbit = rabbit, got it

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Did that official Zootopia comic ever come out? Was it any good?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Unmature posted:

Yes, it's out.

The adaptation of the film glosses over way too much IMO, though I suppose that was unavoidable given the comparatively limited amount of space they have to say the same things. I haven't read too much of the rest of it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

Yes, it's out.

The adaptation of the film glosses over way too much IMO, though I suppose that was unavoidable given the comparatively limited amount of space they have to say the same things. I haven't read too much of the rest of it.

Yeah, comic adaptations of movies never quite hit. At least it looks nice, whenever Marvel or someone adapts a live action movie they get the most journeyman-rear end artist on it and it's totally flat. Old ones are cool though because they're put their top talent on like a Muppets Take Manhattan or Indiana Jones adaptation for four issues.

Also, hey, I made a video about Hayao Miyazaki today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DiByCQ3CYI&t=184s

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Whiz Palace posted:

Yeah, the number of fans who reduce the relatively complex character of Judy into a caricature or a plot point is... discouraging.

Heroes are boring.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Especially if your hero's whole character arc is going from believing everyone should get along and follow the rules, to believing that everyone should get along and follow the rules even though it's hard.

The real question is where's the fan fiction about Bunny Cop's podunk leopard friends? What the gently caress ever happened to them?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Whiz Palace posted:

Yeah, the number of fans who reduce the relatively complex character of Judy into a caricature or a plot point is... discouraging.

A lot of fans just wanna explore Nick's character a little bit more. Judy Is Dead in particular came about from a reddit thread an artist saw debating who would be more broken up if the other one died: Judy or Nick. So he decided to do a comic about a very broken, depressed Nick learning how to come to terms with his loss.

Unmature posted:

From what I've seen some of the comics make a very shallow interpretation of the more complex and nuanced social issues the original writers tried to hash out. Though a few are just cute and fun for funsies sake like the baby squirrel chase.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Unmature posted:

Also, hey, I made a video about Hayao Miyazaki today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DiByCQ3CYI&t=184s

How did you not do a video on Wolf Children for Mother's Day weekend?

PS: Everyone watch Wolf Children.

PPS: Your videos are good but c'mon man Wolf Children for Mother's Day is as easy a setup as Tokyo Godfathers for Christmas.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Emoji Movie comes out July 28th and we have seen surprisingly little of it. The trailer is bound to drop at any moment

Edit: Actually looks like they revealed some new character posters

Sinners Sandwich fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 13, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe if we all ignore it, it will die

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Remember when it was called Emojimovie: Express Yourself?

That was a bad title!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's not enough for it to merely die--if catharsis is to take place, it must be killed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

It's not enough for it to merely die--if catharsis is to take place, it must be killed.

I guess if you stalked and killed the upper level executives involved in birthing it, it would be a kind of killing and it would also be the breakout horror film of 2018.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Barudak posted:

I guess if you stalked and killed the upper level executives involved in birthing it, it would be a kind of killing and it would also be the breakout horror film of 2018.

*chomps cigar* I love it, baby! Together you and I are gonna make pictures, see? We'll have them all razzle dazzled in Tinseltown baby, see? Myah! Pictures!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Saw a new clip for Captain Underpants, it's perfectly capturing the tone of the book, and Captain's/Krupp's voice actor really work the switch

EDIT: underpants is not a synonym for voice actor, self.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

How did you not do a video on Wolf Children for Mother's Day weekend?

PS: Everyone watch Wolf Children.

PPS: Your videos are good but c'mon man Wolf Children for Mother's Day is as easy a setup as Tokyo Godfathers for Christmas.

Thank you, and I haven't seen it yet! I know, I know, and I love Hosoda too.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Feeling super bummed by the nihilistic bleakness of Alien Covenant (that ending...) so I need to watch something happy. Now.

Lilo and Stitch hopefully a good antidote. Cute aliens please :unsmith:

(Now that Disney owns Marvel, can we have a Stitchverse crossover with Guardians of the Galaxy?)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Dayum, between chunky-legged Hawaiian women in this and Chel in The Road To El Dorado, i'm discovering a thing i like

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I wasn't big on the action movie climax but goddamn Lilo and Stitch still holds up :h:

The montage at the end of all the family moments together might just be one of my favourite sequences in any Disney movie of the last 20+ years

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
I managed to see Rock Dog recently and I sort of want to talk about it. Should we though?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Tell me everything :allears:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LeJackal posted:

I managed to see Rock Dog recently and I sort of want to talk about it. Should we though?

<pulls up a chair and starts spreading assorted nosh on the table> Dish, dish!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hedrigall posted:

Dayum, between chunky-legged Hawaiian women in this and Chel in The Road To El Dorado, i'm discovering a thing i like

Have you seen Chris Sanders' Deviantart page? The man likes him some legs.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

<pulls up a chair and starts spreading assorted nosh on the table> Dish, dish!

Hedrigall posted:

Tell me everything :allears:

Okay.

I want to like Rock Dog more than I do. There are moments in this film that have some genuine charm and show a degree of promise that are intriguing. All that is unfortunately buried under poor execution, muddled direction, and a lack of confidence. In fact, the movie reminds me of an amateur musician that could do so much better if he'd stop trying (and failing) to imitate others, spent less money on fancy clothes, and more time practicing his own sound.

Overall it isn't bad, but :mediocre: more or less describes it.

Let me fire up ye olde gif engine and go into detail.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 13, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Phylodox posted:

Have you seen Chris Sanders' Deviantart page? The man likes him some legs.

Hmm I will have to remember my old login to see what's behind all those mature thumbnails

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Wow this is taking more time than I thought.

Hedrigall posted:

Hmm I will have to remember my old login to see what's behind all those mature thumbnails

That seems like a bad idea.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Time for the Rock Dog breakdown, part one!

Traditionally, there is a dramatis personae to start.

quote:

The Cast

Bodi, voiced by Luke Wilson.
He's adorable and you just want to blep him right on the nose. He's naive to the point of inane stupidity and a total pacifist dweeb that has been around sheep too long and is the polar opposite to his dad's aggression, simply wanting to love music and woolen garments. This has not stopped fan artists from drawing him as a power top with a sixpack, naturally. He is the protagonist of the film and has enough charisma between his relatively competent animation and Wilson's voice talents.
8/10 Doggos, would boop him snoot.

Khampa, voiced by incredibly conspicuous 'secret' furry J.K. Simmons
Khampa is GruffDad, and Master of the Mastiff Iron Paw. He has a dark, broodsome past that is hinted at obliquely in such a subtle way that he seems more paranoid than overprotective. Is really, really fond of sheep. Did his wife die? Best sheep-pal get killed? Just that way because the script requires it? Who knows. Unfortunately an absolute waste of screentime and Simmons and also has terrible choices in hairstyles. More on that later.
5/10 Doggos, would develop into reasonable character

Linnux, voiced by Lewis Black
He's the villain. He exists to be mean and vicious and to have a pointy not-jew racist nose. He is motivated to be mean and evil and for some reason they got Lewis BLack to voice him and the cynical edge he brings does not seem to mesh with this villain at all. Why is he in this film? What purpose does he serve?!?!?!
6/10 Stereotypical Wulfes, needs Jim Cummings

Riff and Skozz, voiced by Kenan Thompson and the Sound of Silence
Comic relief and the only villains we see on screen for the majority of the runtime, this pair scoot around the city doing stupid cartoony things Because Plot says so. Only Riff, the short one, speaks, while Skozz is silent. They have a few funny moments, but in this poster's opinion they, Like Linnux, should not really be in this movie. Also Thompson has a super annoying voice and I hate him. Hate hate hate.
4/10 Comic Wulfes, needs anyone else. Even Jack Black.

Angus Scattergood, voiced by Eddie Izzard
The secondary protagonist and part time antagonist, Angus is probably a better character than Bodi. His animation is more expressive, Izzard brings a lot of great energy to the role, and even the lousy script makes him a much more complex character. Struggling with the public identity of a Rock God, feeling as if his skills are in decline, insecurity over his musical empire collapsing around him, all that. He yo-yos between his fear driven immorality and a more pure artistic altruism in a way that is, at least, interesting.
8/10 Hedrigalls, Acceptable for a Catte

Various Poorly Animated Extras
I will have to talk more about these guys later if I ever get around to a budget/design discussion, but lets just say that the extras are animated for poo poo, designed for poo poo, and are bad. Very bad. Wow, why are you even in this movie? Just get out. Go.
1/10 Extras, Go Away

quote:

The Breakdown
Before even going into the technical aspects like animation, design decisions, and budgeting, the most influential and important reason why this movie is no good is the script. The script, and their decision to split their attention in the way they did, led to the uneven tone, design, budget, and overall feel of the movie. If there is one word to describe it, uneven is the word. Some scenes gel pretty nicely, and other ones will have you reaching for your phone to check your Muzzlebook feed.

Rock Dog is severely hamstrung by having a very disjointed script that attempts to carry two very divergent storylines and does a poor job of developing either.

Storyline One: Wolf Threat plotline, whereby the evil wolves are planning to eat a village of sheep our protagonist is supposed to be guarding with his father. Khampa is dissapointed because instead of a beefy jockdog he's got his little hippy dippy artsy pup as a son. 'Who will protect the village?' he bemoans, 'Who will learn the secret of Mastiff Iron Paw?' which are valid questions because Bodi is a weak little runt. So, finally recognizing his son's conventional uselessness, he releases him to the City and eventually Linnux and his wolves return and Bodi returns to save the day in an unconventional way that proves true strength lies in finding your own talents and sweet jesus talk about boring by the numbers bullshit. Granted, if you put all your resources into this storyline you could produce something pedestrian but competent.

Storyline Two: Artistic Journey plotline, which discards most of the previous elements to focus on Bodi and his journey to actualize himself as an artist, which happens in tandem/parallel with Angus Scattergood's rediscovery of his true self. Set against the backdrop of a bustling metropolis, a naive country dog with a talent for music tries to navigate new social and political environments. His naivety forces the cynical rock god to confront the artifice which has consumed and buried the pure joy of art for arts sake and the social impact of music as it brings people together. Important lessons are learned, Bodi finds a place of belonging with a new band, and Angus purifies and rejuvenates himself through guidance of a protégé. Its a much more nuanced and personal plotline.

Either one of the two competing plotlines could have carried the film, as we have seen previously in other films exploring similar themes. However, Rock Dog producers tried to split the difference between them and as a result neither one of the plotlines gets the attention it needs to actually exist in a meaningful, three dimensional way. Characters and motivations essential to them are either very woefully underdeveloped or neglected outright, sometimes showing up for a scene or two if that - which is totally out of proportion to how important they supposedly are to those threads of plot. This lack of focus also produces scenes and characters that are wholly unnecessary, or are done in ways that are irresponsibly wasteful of screentime and budget.

Imagine being trapped in a desert, with only a canteen of water with you. There is an oasis to the east, and one to west, each one reachable with the water you have. You might flip a coin and go to either one. Rock Dog keeps trying to change its destination every few minutes.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 13, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Hedrigall posted:

Maybe if we all ignore it, it will die
And it will kill Sony's film division once and for all

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

This is an incredibly charming moment.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

The cloning is kinda stunning.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Das Boo posted:

The cloning is kinda stunning.

I potentially have a lot to say about it, but that will have to come in later. I have stuff to do today, like go see GotG2 in Imax and some other things.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Are the over the garden wall books that isn't the art book worth it?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

LeJackal posted:

Time for the Rock Dog breakdown, part one!

I want an animated movie about the artistic journey you went on to write this post :3:

9.5/10 Doggos, woof woof woof

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Every clever moment in Rock Dog is met by at least two moments that are so unclever that they detract from the movie's overall cleverness level. The best part of the movie, which I think I've said here before, is the 2D intro that does the Kung Fu Panda thing where there's expositional storytelling in a different animation style that leaves you wishing 2D wasn't dead among major studios as an art form. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHgdna2deYw I'm not going to speak out of turn but when I was looking for an episode of Samurai Jack a few weeks ago I stumbled upon the movie itself, so... it's out there.

As for the Zootopia fan comics, Zootopia itself barely managed to stick the landing for what it was trying to say, and that was the work of dozens of career writers and animators working together with one purpose. I don't want to see what some furries with little storytelling experience and blatantly obvious wishes to gently caress the fox came up with working with those same guidelines.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I dunno if you could even say stick the landing if you really look at the allegory. Like, if you're gonna make something about unfounded bigotry, why put literal bio truths in the text of your allegory. Like I'm willing to be debated out of this position cause a lot of people like it, but I really can't get past the fact that predators are cast into the role they are in an allegory about bigotry.

Honestly though this is probably an indictment of storytelling through kid movie allegories more than anything else. Watched the Angry Birds movie with my kid cause he wanted and holy lol what confusing allegory. The pigs bear all the markers of colonisers from their manner of speaking to the bearing of gifts & technological enhancement etc etc but has no interest in doing anything with that rather than setting up a fight/chase scene, so even adults see it as an anti-immigration thing from what I've seen. And then there's the hiding swear words with 'sounds like' sayings like 'Pluck my life' and 'really flocking angry'. I guess I'm saying modern kids animation has gone to the dogs and I should probably just veto half these crappy new animated movies coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

CRINDY posted:

As for the Zootopia fan comics, Zootopia itself barely managed to stick the landing for what it was trying to say, and that was the work of dozens of career writers and animators working together with one purpose. I don't want to see what some furries with little storytelling experience and blatantly obvious wishes to gently caress the fox came up with working with those same guidelines.

Maluco Marinero posted:

I dunno if you could even say stick the landing if you really look at the allegory. Like, if you're gonna make something about unfounded bigotry, why put literal bio truths in the text of your allegory. Like I'm willing to be debated out of this position cause a lot of people like it, but I really can't get past the fact that predators are cast into the role they are in an allegory about bigotry.

See, the whole point of bringing up that Bunny Cop has 'biotruths' prejudice is to undermine it later on, where she learns off-handedly through exposition that 'prey' are also 'biologically predisposed' to savagery. The whole night-howler/A Scanner Darkly angle is actually one of the few really juicy parts of the movie, and it's a shame that it's merely chalked up to exposition. Rather than choosing the path of least resistance, in which the entire historical mythology of the film's opening is false, the filmmakers chose a slightly more resistant angle in which Bunny Cop's parents just conveniently failed to educate her in her culture's own 'savage' history (maybe involving poo poo like infant cannibalism, warren territoriality, whatever).

The problem is simply and straightforwardly that the film is mediocre. It's a cute anthropomorphic animal movie about getting along.

This is fine, but a far cry from, say, Kubo, which concludes with an Oedipal reversal of the "it takes a village to raise a child" platitude, where a bunch of peasants finds themselves having to adopt a former oppressor with dementia, and teach him (and themselves) the qualities of mercy: clothe the naked, feed the hungry, attend to the sick and elderly, all much more specific stuff than, 'we have to try hard to do...' something.