Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I haven't searched for this on Ali yet, but it is still amazing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3d-Galaxy-G...738.m2548.l4275

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I ordered this for my friend for his birthday lol.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top...2797993537.html

Sad part is that since it's not a real Gibson this one will probably have a better neck that the real thing. I got one of these AliExpress guitars a while back for a double humbucker supertele project, it was a pretty alright guitar even if one of the frets needed to be adjusted.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Thanks to this thread I just ordered a few hundred stickers.

Thought I might use some of them to decorate my first no-brand guitar that I bought when I was 13, maybe try to fix her up. The neck plays fine, it's just everything else that's the problem.

Stumbled upon some dirt cheap prewired and loaded pickguards:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BK-Loaded-Strat-Pickguard-Dual-Humbuckers-For-Electric-guitar/1491472638.html

Anyone have any experience ordering pickups from pages like AE? Can I expect anything sounding remotely OK or will I get something that only generates feedback and buzzing?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
That authentic chinese punk sound

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

We had some LED strip light experts earlier in the thread, how warm is normal for the cable?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1m-...0608.0.0.9WHfNu

I got one of these, the 2m version, and the USB plug gets pretty warm when it is plugged in. Not too hot to touch, and I don't smell plastic burning or anything, but warmer than any other USB thing I use. Am I going to die?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Improbable Lobster posted:

That authentic chinese punk sound

This would be good album name

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

We had some LED strip light experts earlier in the thread, how warm is normal for the cable?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1m-...0608.0.0.9WHfNu

I got one of these, the 2m version, and the USB plug gets pretty warm when it is plugged in. Not too hot to touch, and I don't smell plastic burning or anything, but warmer than any other USB thing I use. Am I going to die?

We've been using something similar for some test lighting and we've found that they draw more current than you'd expect which is why the connection would get hot. We're using a dedicated power board that we built ourselves rather than USB and it wound up running much hotter than we expected. Warm to the touch is probably okay, but given it's Chinese electronics I'd be careful.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Random Stranger posted:

We've been using something similar for some test lighting and we've found that they draw more current than you'd expect which is why the connection would get hot. We're using a dedicated power board that we built ourselves rather than USB and it wound up running much hotter than we expected. Warm to the touch is probably okay, but given it's Chinese electronics I'd be careful.

Yeah, I'm being careful with it, it's only plugged in when I'm in the room.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
I got a dress and it doesn't have any weird smell! And it seems to be fairly well made! And it fits! Holy poo poo!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

I got a dress and it doesn't have any weird smell! And it seems to be fairly well made! And it fits! Holy poo poo!

Hurray! Wear it in good health, my friend!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I got one of these spiral slicers, after being really disappointed with a similarly-priced french fry slicer that wound up being super flimsy and falling apart after two potatoes I was really pleasantly surprised at how sturdy the construction is. I don't really care about the fancy floral arrangement plating they show off in the store page, I just wanted a way to slice vegetables thin easily and it works great. I just made some baked zucchini and I'm definitely going to be eating more veggies in pencil shavings form in the future.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I ordered some persona 5 shirts and the Danny Dorito vest for the gym I'm pretty hyped yall

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I have come to realize that I have a problem compulsively buying cheap fishing lures. I'm almost at A3 level and I'm equal parts amused and ashamed by this.

Also, my gamble with buying reels paid off. I found a brand that was being resold at a significant markup on Amazon that got good reviews, ordered on AliExpress for almost half price and it works a treat.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Guy Mann posted:

I got one of these spiral slicers, after being really disappointed with a similarly-priced french fry slicer that wound up being super flimsy and falling apart after two potatoes I was really pleasantly surprised at how sturdy the construction is. I don't really care about the fancy floral arrangement plating they show off in the store page, I just wanted a way to slice vegetables thin easily and it works great. I just made some baked zucchini and I'm definitely going to be eating more veggies in pencil shavings form in the future.

I've never been happy with a fry slicer that cost less than $50. I'd love a cheap alternative if someone knows one but they are always so flimsy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My friend said he used this app called Wish, which sounds basically like AliExpress. He bought a 256gb microSD card for $5 just for the heck of it. It arrived, but the card said 4gb on it. But them he popped it into his Switch and it said 256gb. What's going on here?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's fake. it reports that it has 256GB to the computer, but it either fails to write any data past 4GB or continuously overwrites what's already stored.

That or it's just an unbelievably old and slow version of the technology and it will never be suitable for anything modern.

There are programs you can download to test SD cards and see what they really are.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Detective No. 27 posted:

My friend said he used this app called Wish, which sounds basically like AliExpress. He bought a 256gb microSD card for $5 just for the heck of it. It arrived, but the card said 4gb on it. But them he popped it into his Switch and it said 256gb. What's going on here?

I think what is usual here is that once you wrap over 4gb it just starts overwriting data at the start of the card. If the card itself still says 4gb it's a good chance that is what will happen with this one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Thanks. I'll let him know. He said he'd return it if it wasn't real, but now I gotta tell him to eat the $5 to not get doxxed.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Please don't buy memory cards from AE, it never ends well.
My last one functioned well for a few months and then died just like the much cheaper one I got before.
E: Learn from my mistakes! :bahgawd:

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 13, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Have him run the software on it, though. I'm interested to hear what it turns out to be, and there's always a slim chance that it is real somehow

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

More bootlego - poo poo just keeps coming

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Also a knock off Game Boy that's backlit and comes preloaded with games.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Duckula posted:

More bootlego - poo poo just keeps coming

What seller do you use for these? I'd like to get some generic sets for my kid.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hows the quality vs real lego anyway

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Duckula posted:

Also a knock off Game Boy that's backlit and comes preloaded with games.

Link?

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

shovelbum posted:

Hows the quality vs real lego anyway

Slightly lighter than normal lego and no LEGO stamp on the studs but otherwise I can't tell the difference.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

flashy_mcflash posted:

What seller do you use for these? I'd like to get some generic sets for my kid.

I use this guy for all my stuff, some guy on the Lepin subreddit recommended him -
http://s.aliexpress.com/e2ARRFza

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Got it here https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/326...with-Backlut-66

Works great with all my old GBC games too. Still needs AA batteries though.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sagebrush posted:

Have him run the software on it, though. I'm interested to hear what it turns out to be, and there's always a slim chance that it is real somehow

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
ahahahahahaha

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The gb boy color is pretty great from what I've heard. And if you're cheap I'm sure there's fake carts you can buy on aliexpress as well.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Duckula posted:

I use this guy for all my stuff, some guy on the Lepin subreddit recommended him -
http://s.aliexpress.com/e2ARRFza

Wow, they are surprisingly expensive for knockoffs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The good-quality knockoffs are nearly identical to a real Lego product. I have a Technic motorcycle that is essentially a perfect copy except for the missing LEGO on the few studs it has.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Is getting dox'd and killed by the Chinese mafia for bad feedback just a joke, because it's kinda believable.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I disputed a $1.78 order, come at me bro

e: He said this was going to ''look bad on my feedback.'' Also when I disputed her counter offered with ''No refund, no return.''
Might as well have said go gently caress yourself.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

ravenkult posted:

e: He said this was going to ''look bad on my feedback.'' Also when I disputed her counter offered with ''No refund, no return.''

You are a dead man walking, and will end up as a Wan Tan filling

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

idgaf I dispute everything and I'm still alive.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Have you tested your tea with a Geiger counter?
:smugissar:

I don't drink tea :smuggo:

ravenkult fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 13, 2017

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Have you tested your tea with a Geiger counter?
:smugissar:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I send messages to sellers to bug them about things when an order is late or missing or incomplete, and after some hemming and hawing they're often willing to make some amends. But if they're surly and it gets to the point of filling a real dispute, I just let the 5 dollars go, because yeah I don't really want to get on the bad side of a Chinese hacker with all the time in the world over less than the price of a Big Mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Detective No. 27 posted:

Your friend wasted $14 or whatever is what happened. Wish is the same as AE (albeit with differing stock to an extent), which means electronics are a risky buy.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Thanks. I'll let him know. He said he'd return it if it wasn't real, but now I gotta tell him to eat the $5 to not get doxxed.

I've disputed a ton of poo poo on Wish and not been doxxed, Wish is a crap app that allows its sellers to steal pics and over charge for shipping (I looked at a random 256gb micro SD, it has a a $5 shipping fee), don't let then get away with anything.

dentist toy box posted:

Is getting dox'd and killed by the Chinese mafia for bad feedback just a joke, because it's kinda believable.

There's a site (I don't have the link) where some sellers complain and rant and rave and try to blacklist buyers. I've disputed plenty of purchases from China, on Wish, AE, and Amazon. I'm not on the site.

I did have an experience with a seller in Vietnam who sold me counterfeit product on Amazon and got increasingly pissy. She wanted the stuff mailed back for a refund, I said no, ostensibly because it's illegal to mail counterfeit stuff in my country, but really so she wouldn't sell it to someone else. She said "No refund then," not knowing Amazon had refunded me the second I sent them proof thr itrms were fake. I only contacted her in case she honestly didn't know, but she obviously did.

I posted a warning in my review on the Amazon listing, letting people know the stuff was fake. It was a set of makeup items, and that poo poo can cause skin reactions/infections and all sorts of other problem, plus it's usually not as high quality. If people knowingly want to try it, that's one thing, but tricking people into taking that risk is another thing.

She made a new listing on Amazon, I put a warning on that one too. She tried to claim harassment. I pointed out she knew the items she had (supposedly) purchases from the Sephora in her area (there is a real Sephora in her city, but that doesn't mean poo poo) were fake and was still trying to sell them. She retaliated by leaving a review for me that said "(my first name) (my last name), why do you give so many negative ratings? Even this didlo you bought, Doc Johnson Radiant Dong (etc, I just remember "radiant dong" because lmao), you gave a negative review."

So I had to contact Amazon and ask them to remove that, before my dad got curious and googled my name. Amazon banned her rear end, but I don't know if they would have done so if I hadn't made such a fuss, and she hadn't gone all revenge-is-mine on me.

So yeah, some sellers are vindictive. But I've had more trouble with entitled-rear end Americans, as both a buyer and a seller, than I have with the rest of the world combined.

ravenkult posted:

Take it over his head to AE proper. If he leaves lovely feedback, take that to AE proper too. He knows if you go to AE, you'll be given a refund, so he's trying to scare you away.