Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Take it.

5 years of pushing yourself is a hell of a lot better than 5 years of regretting not taking an opportunity.
Well, I can apply for it, but it's not like I've been asked to take the role.

Though they've appointed people much less capable than I am in positions just as senior, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Do it.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

This but be prepared for Politics. I had a similar thing happen at my last job and even though I was the most qualified on the team (experience, certificates and my own opinion so get that grain of salt out) I was passed right over because I wasn't buddy buddy with the director.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

beep-beep car is go posted:

This but be prepared for Politics. I had a similar thing happen at my last job and even though I was the most qualified on the team (experience, certificates and my own opinion so get that grain of salt out) I was passed right over because I wasn't buddy buddy with the director.
Yes, I'm going to apply.

Politics may occur, and I may not get it, but it wouldn't be being "passed over" in the sense of it going to someone else here. The potential candidate pool is pretty small, and the people in it are firmly in "only X years till retirement" mode.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

bandman posted:

I fix commercial and industrial laundry equipment. Washers, dryers, ironers, folders, anything that has to do with laundry, except dry cleaning because gently caress all that noise. I even have to go fix some hotel's laundry chute that has a broken fusible link. I don't know why a chute has a fusible link, but I'm gonna find out!

Well I, for one, want to know why a laundry chute has a fusible link

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Darchangel posted:

How does one get into this? Part of my problem is the whole "I'm 47 years old with a family and a house." Starting over is tough when you're used to a half-way decent salary. I'm not in any way ambitious or interested in climbing the ladder/management. I just want a job with some variety that I won't hate going to every day, with the seemingly-impossible additional requirement of paying a decent wage that at least keeps up with inflation/cost of living.
I'm a computer janitor with a (very) little experience in server and networks, I understand basic electronics and can actually solder (my MegaSquirt works!) and I work on cars a lot.
If you want to wrench on it the typical way is to go to learn a trade and specialize in it as you work. Alternatively, some plants don't have the mandate to hire ticketed tradesman so you might get good experience on it as a general mechanic. An alternative track is to get in with a company that sells the poo poo, and get really, really good at it and become the go-to guy. I've been in the industry for 25 years and I am NOT that guy (more bearings & power transmission) but I know enough to be dangerous and also know enough that I'll never be that walking encyclopedia for that stuff. I rely on guys that are though... all the time.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Turning 37, still wrangle computers/users. Its not bad. I'd like something else, but we're in a remote location with limited amounts of jobs available. Probably should start looking into some automation/control systems type poo poo and branch out at my current workplace.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Divorce finalized. I may have a date tonight. Weird feeling, man...

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Biodome posted:

I'm paid to tell people they're using their phone wrong.

I thought Steve Jobs died though :confused:

Tide posted:

Go find your happiness old man.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tide posted:

Liminal space is the best. Good luck with the date!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm starting at General Motors in a month, programming... something. They haven't told me yet.

This is pretty cool. You should program in a HAL voice that says "I'm sorry, Bro. But I'm afraid I can't do that." every time someone attempts to load a 'roll coal' tune.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

everdave posted:

There is a 104k mile Boxster that has had the IMS done local guy asking 5800 and wants it gone. I'm sure 5 would buy it. I just can't. Got 3 cars in the drive away and major projects going. If anyone wants the info let me know. Silver/black car.

This is the type of post that needs a location on it.

Also, until last month, I basically told cops "no" and tried to get them to listen to me. Now I both tell cops "no" and say "no" for cops and no one listens to me.

Also, I ride bikes. No one pays me to do that.

What should I do in Jackson, MS when it is raining? It is a rest day today, I have a rental car (theme of the south so far, really lovely drivers, but really good to cyclists. I am deeply confused) until 6.
I already had some good bbq and beer last night at some hipster place and maybe want something more real.

Also, like half the taps were Stone. In Mississippi. Next sam adams?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'm pretty much there at 46. Been a security guard for 7 years now, and although it's tempting sometimes, I'm in no mood to start another career again from the bottom so it's looks like I'll be doing this the rest of my life. The good thing is I like my job, work on the beach, great atmosphere and cool people that's ten minutes from my house so the lovely pay doesn't bother me as much. Sure I'd like to make more money but I'd probably be miserable in the long run starting over. Plus my wife makes way more than me so it takes the pressure off. Overall I'm just happy I don't hate my job because I've been there and it sucks.

The good news is my wife is graduating with a degree in Paralegal Studies tomorrow, so should be able to look forward to a bit mere income from that direction. She loves the company that she is an office manager for, but she's pretty much topped out for a small construction company role.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I may take you up on that. I already have a TV that needs the same, I can eventually knock them both out at the same time (emphasis on eventually). :v: Looks like the resolution is the same as the 20" Dell.

e: hm... I just realized I'm running it over VGA. Might try it on DVI, if I can find one of my DVI cables. May or may not help.

As a matter of fact Randal, I do. $8.25/hr at a local chain of 24 hour places.

I don't think they've raised it (... the pay, that is) since minimum wage last increased.

Cap kit is like $20 on eBay, probably less if you source the parts yourself. I'm trying to declutter a bit, and have all I need. Free to a good home. There's a chance it'll work perfectly - some of them got EOLd even though they didn't have the issue (yet?)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

angryrobots posted:

Well I, for one, want to know why a laundry chute has a fusible link

Helps prevent fire (and smoke) from spreading between floors. Fire? Fusible link breaks, door should slam shut.

They're also used on air handlers that serve multiple areas for the same reason.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ah, so this is a mechanical link on a spring loaded door? I was thinking of the electrical part of the same name.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

angryrobots posted:

Ah, so this is a mechanical link on a spring loaded door? I was thinking of the electrical part of the same name.

Yep. Heat-activated mechanical link in fire protection talk, as opposed to the lovely fuse substitute in electrical talk.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Any good remedy for a sore/scratchy throat? I've got no voice today and a hell of a headache. Whiskey did not help last night, probably because I forgot the honey and lemon.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh holy poo poo I'm being called back for a second interview.
OK, how do I screw this up, because I know it's going to happen, so I want to do it right.
no I don't

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Darchangel posted:

Oh holy poo poo I'm being called back for a second interview.
OK, how do I screw this up, because I know it's going to happen, so I want to do it right.
no I don't

Nice! With who / what industry?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

one of my good friends got an offer letter from my company and his desk is going to be right next to mine and it's going to own SO HARD

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

the spyder posted:

Any good remedy for a sore/scratchy throat? I've got no voice today and a hell of a headache. Whiskey did not help last night, probably because I forgot the honey and lemon.
Herbal tea called "Throat Coat" (stop snickering) works wonders. Whiskey only helps me get phlegm outta my throat, but Throat Coat does a great job. It's like a licorice/anise tea, really works.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Ice cream, bronkaid, and robitussin work well for me. I used to think ice cream was an excuse to make kids not pissed about getting their tonsils out, but it genuinely helps with the swelling for a little while

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

If you can find it, RAW buckwheat honey works great for a sore throat. Health food stores usually carry it.

That or a throat spray that numbs.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
+1 bronkaid. Or primatene. Just bring your DL, it's controlled, and CVS doesn't sell it. Walgreens does in the US.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That or a throat spray that numbs.
I find those sprays like Covonia that include a numbing effect can be quite good.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

scuz posted:

Herbal tea called "Throat Coat" (stop snickering) works wonders. Whiskey only helps me get phlegm outta my throat, but Throat Coat does a great job. It's like a licorice/anise tea, really works.

Agreed

Traditional Medicinals organic throat coat. Terrible name, hippy company, works wonders.

As an aside, I'm really thankful that I'm not addicted to meth. :ohdear:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
God has a sense of humor. He makes me level mow decks on a concerete floor that isn't poured flat, and is also segmented.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

I find those sprays like Covonia that include a numbing effect can be quite good.

Glenlivet does a good one but it doesn't come with an applicator

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Glenlivet does a good one but it doesn't come with an applicator
That's probably why I consistently overshoot "numbed throat" to "can't feel my face".

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

GOTG volume 2 is very good and you should all watch. I lost it at the cameo.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Malort cures whatever ails ya, unless what's ailing you is the toxic wormwood or awful taste of Malort

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mom finally got her car into the shop to fix the oil leaks (a good shop, owned by a friend).

As expected, they said it was leaking pretty drat bad from the rear valve cover. As expected, they said the steering rack leak was so tiny that they didn't see any reason to fix it (it's been seeping, very slightly, since the car had about 50k on it - it has 160k now, fluid has had to be topped off twice in the 14 years since she bought it brand new). She also got the rear struts done and one of the half shafts. $1200 all in, with an OEM valve cover set, KYB struts, and I'm assuming the half shaft is a reman from O'Reilly's or Napa. I feel like that's an honest price for the work done, considering it's a 1MZ-FE - the upper intake has to come off to get to the valve covers. Same shop did the timing belt last year (along with crank and cam seals), but on that engine, the valve covers don't have to come off for that.

Not expected - shop told her they found a couple of loose nuts bouncing around under one of the valve covers (I'm assuming they weren't referring to themselves :v:). The last shop that had the valve covers off had it go back to them 3 times over it leaking, finally gave up.

I'm amazed that nothing got hosed up. Chunks of metal bouncing around 2 spinning cams and 12 valves? That could have ended badly.

It goes back in a couple of weeks for front struts.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 13, 2017

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Mom finally got her car into the shop to fix the oil leaks (a good shop, owned by a friend).

As expected, they said it was leaking pretty drat bad from the rear valve cover. As expected, they said the steering rack leak was so tiny that they didn't see any reason to fix it (it's been seeping, very slightly, since the car had about 50k on it - it has 160k now, fluid has had to be topped off twice in the 14 years since she bought it brand new). She also got the rear struts done and one of the half shafts. $1200 all in, with an OEM valve cover set, KYB struts, and I'm assuming the half shaft is a reman from O'Reilly's or Napa. I feel like that's an honest price for the work done, considering it's a 1MZ-FE - the upper intake has to come off to get to the valve covers. Same shop did the timing belt last year (along with crank and cam seals), but on that engine, the valve covers don't have to come off for that.

Not expected - shop told her they found a couple of loose nuts bouncing around under one of the valve covers (I'm assuming they weren't referring to themselves :v:). The last shop that had the valve covers off had it go back to them 3 times over it leaking, finally gave up.

I'm amazed that nothing got hosed up. Chunks of metal bouncing around 2 spinning cams and 12 valves? That could have ended badly.

It goes back in a couple of weeks for front struts.

Did they replace the valve cover bolts/integral washers? I guess the washers compress over time (they're a layered metal and rubber) and when you re-use then they bottom out on the threads without loading the valve cover fully. I've heard that as the reason that so many 1mzs leak from the valve cover.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Honestly, I'm not sure. I know it's been to a dealer twice for oil leaks (first time paid, second time was a go back), and to the previous shop at least 3 times (1 paid, 2 go backs). The shop she used today is very detail oriented and generally goes for OEM parts, so if you're referring to today's visit, I'd guess they did. They hate go backs, and they hate unhappy customers (they have a solid 5 star rating on yelp over their 6 year history, and I've known the owner for about 20 years). So far every major leak has been from the rear valve cover. I haven't seen the invoice yet though.

It was the rear valve cover that was pissing, so it was hard for me to get a decent look at. But I don't remember seeing any oil along the top or middle, seemed like it was mostly from the bottom. My stepdad manages their finances for the most part, and he's notoriously cheap (and it keeps biting him in the rear end - i.e. he's on his 4th transmission on his F-150, with a whole 130k on the truck - he'll stand there and haggle for hours until you give up over $10 on a $1000 repair bill).

It does seem like the 1MZ is very leak prone.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 13, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

monsterzero posted:

Did they replace the valve cover bolts/integral washers? I guess the washers compress over time (they're a layered metal and rubber) and when you re-use then they bottom out on the threads without loading the valve cover fully. I've heard that as the reason that so many 1mzs leak from the valve cover.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

It does seem like the 1MZ is very leak prone.

The valve cover bolts are the problem. Just adding a washer to each bolt sealed mine up. I got a new gasket set, but when I got the front cover off, the gasket was newer and good. The integral washer that monsterzero pointed out were the issue.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

GOTG volume 2 is very good and you should all watch. I lost it at the cameo.

I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!

The more I think about it, the only thing missing from volume 2 is that "holy poo poo this is new and different" feeling from the first one. I went into the first one completely blind to everything about it, so everything was just one glorious surprise after another. Kinda hard to do with a sequel.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

The Door Frame posted:

Malort cures whatever ails ya, unless what's ailing you is the toxic wormwood or awful taste of Malort

The first shot of Malort is usually the last. Ever.

On that note, clam ache: the band is playing Quencher's next week! More deets later.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man, I was looking at getting cop style center caps for the car, but they're like $40-70 on ebay for a full set, and like another 50 for the chrome trim rings I want. Guess I'll live with the granny hubcaps for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

I thought about teaching English as a foreign language. How is that? Are you part of the JET program?

I started off on the JET program then switched between conversation schools and private ALT work a couple of times. You'll probably get placed in the middle of nowhere but as long as you have a couple of cool teachers to work with it can be a great experience though I wouldn't recommend making a career out of it.

• Locked thread