Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

shame on an IGA posted:

It's not that hard, a properly working 3-way switch pair is XOR

He also wired a few 2 switch circuits to be "AND" so that both had to be in a particular position for the light to be on.

What gets me isn't the doing it wrong, I get how you can make wiring mistakes. I don't understand how you could leave it like that for what was almost certainly years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Bozart posted:

He also wired a few 2 switch circuits to be "AND" so that both had to be in a particular position for the light to be on.

What gets me isn't the doing it wrong, I get how you can make wiring mistakes. I don't understand how you could leave it like that for what was almost certainly years.

My home has switches like this. One was fixed by my electrician cousin when he replaced celing fan for free. Another broke so I replaced it, but the wires weren't color coded, and also my house has shared neutrals so when you think you have killed the breaker you still haven't unless you killed the main. So I got to trial and error that switch and got shocked before I realised about the shared neutrals. There is one left but it isn't a switch I use a lot so right now I am ignoring it.

Do never buy a fixer.

therobit fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 11, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The lamp socket switch in my master bed won't work because the PO screwed into the wall right above the switches to hang something, shorting it every time the circuit is closed.

Schwa
Jan 16, 2001

I got this title from someone stronger than me.

Leperflesh posted:

God yes. I mean if you have to tear open walls and poo poo to re-wire? Yes. It takes ten minutes to swap out a regular outlet with a GFCI one and you can buy contractor 10-packs of GFCI outlets for $78 so that's $7.80 per outlet.

https://www.amazon.com/Gfi-Gfci-Outlet-Pack-White/dp/B003SS5MH2

I've recently purchased an older house where the majority of the outlets are two prong outlets with no ground. Can I replace those with these GFCI outlets or do these others expect a ground wire to already be in place?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Schwa posted:

I've recently purchased an older house where the majority of the outlets are two prong outlets with no ground. Can I replace those with these GFCI outlets or do these others expect a ground wire to already be in place?

ugh, i had this in my old apartment and the landlord wouldn't deal with it. all 2-prong. eventually i threatened to claim a plug was defective and make them repair it up to code but they ran some ground wires and did it semi-right. you need ground for GFCI.

edit: in fact once you have ground you might as well just use regular outlets unless you're in a bathroom or near a sink.

edit2: do not ask the amateur radio thread to define 'ground'

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 11, 2017

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

slurry_curry posted:

I think your mom has the same kitchen design as my house, which oddly enough used to be owned by my mom and stepdad. Apparently my stepdad actually had the dishwasher custom painted harvest gold to match the fridge\stove\counters\etc. The fridge is tiny and has freezer door inside the fridge, so good luck defrosting the freezer. Ended up replacing the dishwasher with a Bosch one, cause there was no way in he'll I was going to fix the old one. Can't wait till we remodel the main floor of the house\bring in natural gas so we can get a not horrible stove and a modern fridge.
My mom's kitchen is actually incredibly nice for the small space it occupies. My uncle renovated it for her a few years ago, and the island and the sink are set down about four inches from the rest of the counters, at the perfect height for her. It'll be hard to sell the house someday, though, unless we find a near-midget who loves to bake.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

SoundMonkey posted:

ugh, i had this in my old apartment and the landlord wouldn't deal with it. all 2-prong. eventually i threatened to claim a plug was defective and make them repair it up to code but they ran some ground wires and did it semi-right. you need ground for GFCI.

No, you don't need ground for GFCI. It works by basically comparing current in (on hot) and current out (on neutral) - if they don't match, then some amount of electricity is flowing in parallel to ground and the system trips. It's legitimate to replace old ungrounded receptacles in two-wire boxes with GFCI-protected ones as long as you slap a "GFCI protected/no equipment ground" sticker on every outlet that doesn't actually have the ground pin hooked up.

(What you absolutely can't do, though, is wire neutral to the ground pin - in that case, a short to a grounded case looks like normal operation to the GFCI system, because current in equals current out, and it won't provide the necessary protection)

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Schwa posted:

You can in fact replace them with a GFCI outlet (and downstream outlets as well) but you are supposed to put a "no equipment ground" sticker on them to indicate uh... something. And it is safer than just having a non-gfci 3 prong outlet.

http://ecmweb.com/content/replacing-2-wire-ungrounded-receptacles

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

edit2: do not ask the amateur radio thread to define 'ground'

Hehe

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

The lamp socket switch in my master bed won't work because the PO screwed into the wall right above the switches to hang something, shorting it every time the circuit is closed.

You should really fix this. That means there is potentially exposed hot in the wall, a bad place for it. You don't need too many tools to do it.

Schwa
Jan 16, 2001

I got this title from someone stronger than me.

Bozart posted:

You can in fact replace them with a GFCI outlet (and downstream outlets as well) but you are supposed to put a "no equipment ground" sticker on them to indicate uh... something. And it is safer than just having a non-gfci 3 prong outlet.

http://ecmweb.com/content/replacing-2-wire-ungrounded-receptacles

Great! And thanks to the others that responded as well. Replacing a few of the 2-prong outlets with GFCI outlets will be a lot less expensive than running ground wires everywhere.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Welcome to Earthed?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

therobit posted:

My home has switches like this. One was fixed by my electrician cousin when he replaced celing fan for free. Another broke so I replaced it, but the wires weren't color coded, and also my house has shared neutrals so when you think you have killed the breaker you still haven't unless you killed the main. So I got to trial and error that switch and got shocked before I realised about the shared neutrals. There is one left but it isn't a switch I use a lot so right now I am ignoring it.

Do never buy a fixer.

That's why shared neutral circuits have tandem breakers now. That way if you shut off one, you shut off the other as well.

Space Gopher posted:

(What you absolutely can't do, though, is wire neutral to the ground pin - in that case, a short to a grounded case looks like normal operation to the GFCI system, because current in equals current out, and it won't provide the necessary protection)

Wiring neutral to ground can also make a unique situation where it's possible to get shocked from the case.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 11, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

H110Hawk posted:

You should really fix this. That means there is potentially exposed hot in the wall, a bad place for it. You don't need too many tools to do it.

Electrician disconnected it, so that the socket works normal and the switch does nothing.

How would I go about fixing it?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

Electrician disconnected it, so that the socket works normal and the switch does nothing.

Shut the power off, open up the wall, cut out the damaged wire, splice in fixed wire with the joins protected by wire nuts and electrical tape. I think that's allowed. What I'm not clear on if that's the kind of thing that you're allowed to hide inside a wall with no access panel. The alternative would be to pull a completely new cable from your switch to wherever the existing cable terminates. You can use the existing cable to help (securely tie the new cable to the old cable, then pull the old cable out at the other end).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think that came up in the bathroom overhaul thread, actually. Wirenuts without an access is a no-no, regardless of whether it's in a box or not. They do make special wire-splicing things that apparently CAN be hidden away in a wall with no access, though. I'm not gonna wade through that thread to find it but if you ask in the wiring thread someone there can probably link it.

e: vvv Well there ya go! See, I knew some chump would have the link handy or be willing to find it :v:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 11, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

According to rando people on the Internet:

quote:

Amp makes a product to splice for 14/2, 14/3, 12/2, 12/3 without a junction box.
The product does comply with 330.24(b)
B) Devices of Insulating Material.
Switch, outlet, and tap devices of insulating material shall be permitted to be used without boxes in exposed cable wiring and for rewiring in existing buildings where the cable is concealed and fished. Openings in such devices shall form a close fit around the outer covering of the cable, and the device shall fully enclose the part of the cable from which any part of the covering has been removed. Where connections to conductors are by binding-screw terminals, there shall be available as many terminals as conductors.

You cannot bury a wire-nut splice in a wall, that's clearly against code. But there are apparently code-legal splicing methods that can be used, when (and only when) you're dealing with a rewiring of existing concealed and finished wire.

For example:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Electronics-Romex-Splice-Kit-2-Wire-1-Clam-CPGI-1116377-2/202204326

e. I should say that I think this may be code legal but is still a hack. The right way to do it is run a new line, or, add a (not concealed) junction box where you made the splice.

e2. Reading some more contractor and electrician chat, these things are not well-regarded and even where people are saying it's OK to use them, when asked "would you use this in your own home" the universal answer is "no loving way."

As an amateur I don't think you should be confident you can use this wire-tapping device exactly right so that it won't create a potential fire hazard. Just pull new line.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 11, 2017

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

As everyone else covered the basics, use the old wire as a fish line for the new wire.

mshade
Jul 13, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

As everyone else covered the basics, use the old wire as a fish line for the new wire.

If the original wire is from new construction, won't it be stapled to studs? How can you use it as a fish line if it is attached to the framing?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

One of the switches next to the door in the master bedroom also kills power to the bathroom lights so the switches in there stop working and this is the only switch that does this. The problem here is the bathroom has 2 doors as a kind of walk-through setup since its the only bath upstairs and there are an additional 2 bedrooms. I've turned it off on accident a few times when someone was in there (and its in the middle of the house and loving dark in there) so I just had to put tape over the switch.

Imagine there are doors in appropriate places

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mshade posted:

If the original wire is from new construction, won't it be stapled to studs? How can you use it as a fish line if it is attached to the framing?

This is the crappy construction thread: Pull harder.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Leperflesh posted:

For example:
...2-Wire-1-Clam-CPGI-1116377...

so if you have more than one clam you're gonna need to take that into consideration

also yeah i think i'm in the camp of "that's neat, i don't want it in my wall"

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

According to rando people on the Internet:

You cannot bury a wire-nut splice in a wall, that's clearly against code. But there are apparently code-legal splicing methods that can be used, when (and only when) you're dealing with a rewiring of existing concealed and finished wire.

For example:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Electronics-Romex-Splice-Kit-2-Wire-1-Clam-CPGI-1116377-2/202204326

e. I should say that I think this may be code legal but is still a hack. The right way to do it is run a new line, or, add a (not concealed) junction box where you made the splice.

e2. Reading some more contractor and electrician chat, these things are not well-regarded and even where people are saying it's OK to use them, when asked "would you use this in your own home" the universal answer is "no loving way."

As an amateur I don't think you should be confident you can use this wire-tapping device exactly right so that it won't create a potential fire hazard. Just pull new line.

These seems to be what makes them legal:

quote:

334.40 Boxes and Fittings.
(B) Devices of Insulating Material. Switch, outlet, and tap devices of insulating material shall be permitted to be used without boxes in exposed cable wiring and for rewiring in existing buildings where the cable is concealed and fished. Openings in such devices shall form a close fit around the outer covering of the cable, and the device shall fully enclose the part of the cable from which any part of the covering has been removed. Where connections to conductors are by binding-screw terminals, there shall be available as many terminals as conductors.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

Whelp, I’m buying $130 worth of bulbs for a single residential fixture.

It’ll pay itself back on electricity costs, but more importantly, I won’t have to change the drat things any time soon.

They arrived today and I installed them in my crappy fixture.

They exceeded my expectations for brightness. Now I just have to hope they don’t fail prematurely.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
yeah that's what i thought, that ROMEX line is the only one damaged from what I can tell, so I'm leaving it alone; it's not a problem.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I'm surprised nobody's posted the best part of the 70s Baroque House

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I didn't know you could get gutters and downspouts in pink.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

kid sinister posted:

I didn't know you could get gutters and downspouts in pink.

Behold the power of Etsy!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

kid sinister posted:

Wiring neutral to ground can also make a unique situation where it's possible to get shocked from the case.

poo poo THAT'S IT!

Since I moved to my current place, my dryer "leaks" electricity. If you're wearing bare feet on the bare floor the drum and door of the dryer will give you quite a snap! I called in an electrician in, but since he had shoes on (and I wasn't there to demonstrate it) he just shrugged his shoulders and left. I "fixed" it by putting the dryer on a pallet (also helps in case the basement gets water) and putting an area rug down on the floor and wearing slippers when I dry clothes.

How do I fix it? It's a 220 plug so I'm hesitant to touch things.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

call your electrician back and tell him to measure the voltage between chassis and ground.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

shame on an IGA posted:

call your electrician back and tell him to measure the voltage between chassis and ground.

Note: It doesn't have to be the same electrician. Based on his diagnostic skills you may be better off with a new guy checking things out.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

beep-beep car is go posted:

How do I fix it? It's a 220 plug so I'm hesitant to touch things.

Change it from a 3 to a 4 prong outlet and plug, then separate the ground from the neutral under the little panel on the back of the dryer. You'll need to open that panel anyway to swap power cords. Just remove that little wire going from the white terminal to the case. Either tape if off, or screw it down to the white terminal.

Almost all dryer wiring in the past was only 10/2 with ground. They used the black and white for the 220V and the ground wire for the combined ground neutral. You can check at either end if the white wire is being used for hot. Upgrading the wiring is a little harder. You can run individual wires to upgrade ungrounded outlets, but not for neutrals. Basically you'll need to run a new 10/3 cable from the panel to your dryer and install a new 4 prong 30A outlet.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 12, 2017

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

kid sinister posted:

Call an electrician.

Got it!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

I'm surprised nobody's posted the best part of the 70s Baroque House

It's pink and black so I guess they didn't get a chance to update the exterior since the 50's.

Found a not-good website that nonetheless has an archive of time-capsule houses that's fun to flip through. http://retrorenovation.com/category/all-about-the-era/time-capsule-homes/ Why did we ever stop putting wallpaper on the ceiling?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm getting vertigo just looking at the picture. I can't imagine how hellish it would be in person.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

there wolf posted:

It's pink and black so I guess they didn't get a chance to update the exterior since the 50's.

Found a not-good website that nonetheless has an archive of time-capsule houses that's fun to flip through. http://retrorenovation.com/category/all-about-the-era/time-capsule-homes/ Why did we ever stop putting wallpaper on the ceiling?

I think that is fabric, not wallpaper. When you want your room to look like you're inside a tent. And also hope to some day die in wrapped in flaming ceiling fabric.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://i.imgur.com/DxK72VX.gifv

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here it is from an alternate angle:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

`Nemesis posted:

building peeling apart

I personally would characterize standing near that crosswalk as WAY TOO loving CLOSE RUN MOTHERFUCKER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think that is fabric, not wallpaper. When you want your room to look like you're inside a tent. And also hope to some day die in wrapped in flaming ceiling fabric.

Meh. It came from a whole list of wallpaper caves, so I didn't see the point in distinguishing it.